Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cat owners from kitten onwards.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Okay so I’ve been thinking for months about getting a kitten, either a rag doll, Himalayan or Birman. Aside from the initial cost £700 to a grand what am I looking at in terms of annual upkeep?

This will be a house cat only but will take it out on a lead and let it go in the garden only with myself and my daughter.

I love cats and my daughter has this unreal connection with animals, all animals seem to love her. She’s beyond kind and gentle with animals plus she’s 12 so not exactly gonna be ragging it around.

What should I look for in dealers and what age is a genuine age that they can be sold (as kittens)? What would they already have had done? I know I’ll have to register him with my vet straight away. (I want a male).

I work night shifts as well but only 2 a week now so will be be okay on his own for 12 hours overnight from kitten age or will I have to take him to my mums with my daughter overnight?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We got a kitten, he was 9 weeks old when we got him, longest 9 weeks of my life waiting for him!

We spend £32 a month on insurance and health club (pays for all his flea treatment, jabs etc), money well spent got peace of mind.

We spend about maybe £25 a month on food etc for him too.

Danish x

over a year ago

Husband works from home and wd didn't leave him for more than an hour for the first few weeks he was with us, longest we've ever left him is 10 hours and that's once. That's just me though, I don't like leaving him lol. We put the radio on for him, probably sick of heart.

Danish x

over a year ago

I'd wait until they're 9 or 10 weeks. They should have had their first jabs by then.

I got mine and then took a few weeks off work to help her settle in, but after that when I went to work I left her in one room with a tiled floor (and a cat bed, toys, litter tray etc) to avoid lots of wee everywhere when I came home. Over time I widened her area until she was comfortable in the whole flat.

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"Okay so I’ve been thinking for months about getting a kitten, either a rag doll, Himalayan or Birman. Aside from the initial cost £700 to a grand what am I looking at in terms of annual upkeep?

This will be a house cat only but will take it out on a lead and let it go in the garden only with myself and my daughter.

I love cats and my daughter has this unreal connection with animals, all animals seem to love her. She’s beyond kind and gentle with animals plus she’s 12 so not exactly gonna be ragging it around.

What should I look for in dealers and what age is a genuine age that they can be sold (as kittens)? What would they already have had done? I know I’ll have to register him with my vet straight away. (I want a male).

I work night shifts as well but only 2 a week now so will be be okay on his own for 12 hours overnight from kitten age or will I have to take him to my mums with my daughter overnight? "

Look at pets4homes - they offer great advice regarding breeders and what to look out for in a breeder. The adverts will also tell you about the home they come from. Ask to see mum and dad cat. They will also tell you what you can expect from them should you purchase one of their kittens - vaccinated (how many) or not, some give you the kitten food they're used to, toys or not, even a blanket in some cases. Then you need to neuter and microchip your cat (even if indoor in case of escapes). Prices of vaccinations, neutering and microchipping will vary. Hope this helps

over a year ago

Go to a rescue centre.

By *ar_MiteCouple
over a year ago

Swindon ish

Kittens shouldn't really leave their mother until 12 weeks. We have 2 mainecoon kittens and they were far more adjusted than our previous 2 at 8 weeks.

Insurance can be around £30 pm. Buy food in bulk from zooplus. Get catsan cat litter, it lasts the longest. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

We have 2 boys that are now 6 months old. They share a litter tray and go through just over a bag of litter a week roughly. Costs for litter vary from £1.50 a bag through to like £10!

They eat 2-3pouches a day and some dry Wainwright's kitten food too. They are large cats though for just 6 months. I have a friend with 2girls that are now a bit older that eat less.....

Ours are just moggies, no breeding.

Hope that helps!

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Find a registered breeder, ask to speak to previous customers, they don't usually let kittens go till 12/16 weeks. They should have had their first vaccination, be wormed, deflead and microchipped.

Set up a healthy pet club membership, usually about 12 quid a month and get insurance, even for indoor cats.

Zoo plus it's a great site for food and supplies.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Also take into account neutering costs! Cheaper for males, price varies between vets.

By *urplechesterCouple
over a year ago

chester

"Go to a rescue centre. "

I’m with this all day long! And they will also offer some great advice! Miss pc

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Don't encourage selective breeding and rescue a kitten instead.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

There are breed specific rescues if you look for them.

over a year ago

I like the idea of these breeds because 1) they’re gorgeous and 2) they seem to be the most chilled and relaxed and wants cuddles and fuss.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Cats should never be kept indoors permanently.

They are mostly nocturnal animals and need to hunt and display their natural, genetic instincts.

No need for a litter tray beyond training and don't feed them food bulked with carbs.

They naturally eat and do way better on a raw diet, not the bulked out expensive pap that manufacturers try to sell you.

Don't get me started on bloody 'kitten milk'!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Ours costs us £5 a week in litter, £4 a week in wet food, £15 for about a months dry food (we feed him both as the vet suggested it but he's older). Also give him a few quids worth of real meat over the week. Insurance is £14 a month. Definitely get a lifetime policy as it gets harder to insure them as they get older otherwise.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I like the idea of these breeds because 1) they’re gorgeous and 2) they seem to be the most chilled and relaxed and wants cuddles and fuss. "

Ragdoll

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Outline: Approximately 30% of Ragdoll cats have a genetic mutation that makes it likely that they will develop hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening of the muscle walls of the heart). Over time this condition leads to heart failure and/or other complications such as increased risk of blockage of major blood vessels by blood clots. Heart failure causes increasing discomfort and malaise in affected animals which can occur over a prolonged period. Blockage of blood vessels causes severe pain.

Rescue an abandoned cat instead.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

"Okay so I’ve been thinking for months about getting a kitten, either a rag doll, Himalayan or Birman. Aside from the initial cost £700 to a grand what am I looking at in terms of annual upkeep?

I work night shifts as well but only 2 a week now so will be be okay on his own for 12 hours overnight from kitten age or will I have to take him to my mums with my daughter overnight?

Look at pets4homes - they offer great advice regarding breeders and what to look out for in a breeder. The adverts will also tell you about the home they come from. Ask to see mum and dad cat. They will also tell you what you can expect from them should you purchase one of their kittens - vaccinated (how many) or not, some give you the kitten food they're used to, toys or not, even a blanket in some cases. Then you need to neuter and microchip your cat (even if indoor in case of escapes). Prices of vaccinations, neutering and microchipping will vary. Hope this helps"

Pets at home, unless you get a really good individual employee, are crap for advice on pets. Just look at the shitty small cages/hutches/runs they sell.

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

Look at pets4homes - they offer great advice regarding breeders and what to look out for in a breeder. The adverts will also tell you about the home they come from. Ask to see mum and dad cat. They will also tell you what you can expect from them should you purchase one of their kittens - vaccinated (how many) or not, some give you the kitten food they're used to, toys or not, even a blanket in some cases. Then you need to neuter and microchip your cat (even if indoor in case of escapes). Prices of vaccinations, neutering and microchipping will vary. Hope this helps

Pets at home, unless you get a really good individual employee, are crap for advice on pets. Just look at the shitty small cages/hutches/runs they sell. "

Pets4homes is not pets at home.

over a year ago

"I like the idea of these breeds because 1) they’re gorgeous and 2) they seem to be the most chilled and relaxed and wants cuddles and fuss.

Ragdoll

Outline: Approximately 30% of Ragdoll cats have a genetic mutation that makes it likely that they will develop hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening of the muscle walls of the heart). Over time this condition leads to heart failure and/or other complications such as increased risk of blockage of major blood vessels by blood clots. Heart failure causes increasing discomfort and malaise in affected animals which can occur over a prolonged period. Blockage of blood vessels causes severe pain.

Rescue an abandoned cat instead."

If I was living on my own and I wanted a cat for companion purposes I would but I want a kitten to do the whole experience with my daughter.

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"I like the idea of these breeds because 1) they’re gorgeous and 2) they seem to be the most chilled and relaxed and wants cuddles and fuss.

Ragdoll

If I was living on my own and I wanted a cat for companion purposes I would but I want a kitten to do the whole experience with my daughter. "

There are rescue kittens too, many rescue cats are dumped because they're pregnant. It's worth a look

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

Ragdoll

If I was living on my own and I wanted a cat for companion purposes I would but I want a kitten to do the whole experience with my daughter. "

Rescues have kittens.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Pets at home, unless you get a really good individual employee, are crap for advice on pets. Just look at the shitty small cages/hutches/runs they sell. "

Pets4homes... It's not pets at home

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I've sent you a pm Annie x

By *good-being-badMan
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

[Removed by poster at 26/10/21 15:06:01]

By *good-being-badMan
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Always lots of cats kittens looking for homes at rescue centres.,

I was adopted by my puss a few years ago.

previously I'd taken cats (adults) from rescue centres they struggle to re home adult cats, kittens always find homes.

My puss costs me around £8 per week in food, hes fleaed every mo th or so thats about £2, so far no vet bills.

Pedigree breeds I know nothing of if they're like pedigree pooches they can have inherent health problems.

over a year ago

Was thinking of a rag doll cross. Get the benefits of it looking lovely but the cross breed will make it more hardy and live longer. I’m not interested in wanting to breed it so don’t need a pedigree.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

Ragdoll

If I was living on my own and I wanted a cat for companion purposes I would but I want a kitten to do the whole experience with my daughter.

There are rescue kittens too, many rescue cats are dumped because they're pregnant. It's worth a look"

I got a cat from a rescue home years back, said she'd just had kittens but they didn't have the kittens as she'd been dumped in a box at their door..... She then had two kittens next day!! Three for the price of one!!

over a year ago

Ragdoll

There are rescue kittens too, many rescue cats are dumped because they're pregnant. It's worth a look

I got a cat from a rescue home years back, said she'd just had kittens but they didn't have the kittens as she'd been dumped in a box at their door..... She then had two kittens next day!! Three for the price of one!! "

A similar thing happened to me! I adopted an adult female three years ago, and three days after getting her home she had just the one kitten. I named him Toofer

over a year ago

We have 4, a Selkirk rex, a Maine Coone x , a sphynx and a ragdoll.

Its crazy and they cost a lot but they are worth every penny.

Do your research on the breed as they all come with issues and also look into rehomeing- our Ragdoll was a rescue.

As for leaving for work as long as they know where to toilet, have somewhere safe , food , water and entertainment they will be fine.

Happy to answer questions

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 26/10/21 15:47:13]

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Well that's annoying! I posted a huge reply and it messed up.

So here is the condensed version

Always try rescue first.

Don't let anyone push rescues on you though. They often decline a lot of legit loving families due to their requirements. Which then push people toward breeders. It applies to dogs more than cats though. I've worked in them so understand why but if you are turning down interested people they will look elsewhere.

I know lots of families that got turned down, so went to a breeder and now their dogs live amazing lives.

Pets4homes - do not support this site. It's terrible and should be shut down. Majority of ads are scams or puppy/kitten farms. A great place for dog fighters to find cheap bait. The few legit ads are clueless.

Join a Facebook group for actual good advice, followed by lots of drama too. But the advice is worth it.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"I like the idea of these breeds because 1) they’re gorgeous and 2) they seem to be the most chilled and relaxed and wants cuddles and fuss. "

Mines 100% moggie, he’s so laid back he’s literally horizontal and will often take a fuss over a feed.

My sister has some expensive pure breed that wrecked her furniture and hides whenever they approach

over a year ago

Mines 100% moggie, he’s so laid back he’s literally horizontal and will often take a fuss over a feed.

My sister has some expensive pure breed that wrecked her furniture and hides whenever they approach "

Ours is just 'cat' too and the fussiest most lovable thing ever. Regulary falls asleep on your chest or head or in bed with you and wakes me up every morning with nose rubs and nibbles. I have never been a cat person but she enchants me!

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

I work night shifts as well but only 2 a week now so will be be okay on his own for 12 hours overnight from kitten age or will I have to take him to my mums with my daughter overnight? "

Get a moggy from a cat shelter. More robust healthwise than specialist breeds, easier to feed and look after.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Ragdoll

Rescue an abandoned cat instead."

Agreed. Normal moggies are as tough as old boots, by comparison.

over a year ago

OP you have had some great advice above.

Can I just ask why you particularly want to have a cat for it to be a housecat?

Until 4 years ago I had up to 4 cats at any one time living with me and can remember trying to keep them indoors after ops or illness etc and how hard it was to restrict their access to the outdoors. I was as relieved as they were when I was able to unlock the cat flap.

Another factor to consider with a housecat is the smell from litter trays, it doesn't matter how clean you maintain them there is a smell to them. Just something for you to consider when you make your fully informed decision on adopting a cat.

Good luck

NBVN x

over a year ago

My friend has a Rag-doll cat which she paid a small fortune for (£1,000+) and continues to spend around £50/month for her upkeep. She says her cat is great because of its affectionate nature and I must admit it does look like a show-quality cat. She does spoil her though with premium brand food etc.

over a year ago

check our floppycats . com which should help address many of your questions...

my friend lets her cat roam freely and never had any probs.

just do your homework before buying, I’m sorry I can’t help much since not a cat person never having owned one (prefer dogs a lot more)

good-luck

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

I got mine from a rescue two years ago. She was already two but they did have kittens there as well.

They were pushing a black and white male but then I noticed this female tabby and was told, oh, she doesn't like other cats, we have to keep her separated.

I thought to myself, you are coming home with me, clearly not happy here, and she has been fantastic. She's a bit of a wild child, always bringing home prey, but she's also very attached to me and loving, comes to bed with me every night. What I'm trying to say is, they are all individual characters and the obvious is not always the best choice.

Cost: I have a pet cash plan for her flea/worms treatment, annual check up and added benefits which is £14 pm.

Pet insurance was £52 pa, however, a word of warning, pet insurance is probably the most confusing of all insurance products. Not a fun job to pick! Some people have a dedicated savings account instead, but my friend's young cat had to have an OP for £750, so I'd rather be insured.

Food - it's about £10 pm for her wet food. She also gets biscuits but not sure what it works out as.

Advice on litter trays - I've lived with indoor cats before and the most important thing is to keep the litter tray clean. Some recommend to have more than one tray per cat. Cats can become very unhappy if their toilet is dirty, or not the way they like it, and they may start doing their business elsewhere or become destructive.

Good luck with your new furry friend!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

Wales

Not sure if already mentioned but there is currently (according to my vet) a long waiting list to have animals neutered due to the backlog created by the lockdowns.

over a year ago

My mums cat goes outside but for some bizarre reason he comes inside for a shit in his litter tray then goes back out He’s only allowed out when my mum is home which is first thing in the morning before she goes to work then he’s in the house during the day, he’s allowed out at tea time for a couple of hours then in when it starts to get dark. Apart from when he’s just done a poop I can never smell the litter tray.

I don’t want my cat going outside on its own cos there’s a few cats around the street that fight plus the breed of cat I want requires a lot of grooming and I want to keep it clean.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/10/21 22:33:20]

over a year ago

9/10 weeks is about right. The animal rescue place I got my two from said that.

They have their first jabs and stuff by that age.

Silica cat litter is the best! No smell when they poo!

I find the best kitten food was from Pets At Home. Royal Canin is a great brand aswell.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Was thinking of a rag doll cross. Get the benefits of it looking lovely but the cross breed will make it more hardy and live longer. I’m not interested in wanting to breed it so don’t need a pedigree. "

Whilst Ragdolls are aesthetically appealing for their cute looks, as Topsy says it’s not ideal to restrict a cat to indoors only. They are also top of the list of No.1 stolen cats because they have value. Consider the vet bills too and of course a fluffy coat will need good maintenance to ensure the cat stays clean and healthy.

Still interested in a Ragdoll?

over a year ago

"Was thinking of a rag doll cross. Get the benefits of it looking lovely but the cross breed will make it more hardy and live longer. I’m not interested in wanting to breed it so don’t need a pedigree.

Whilst Ragdolls are aesthetically appealing for their cute looks, as Topsy says it’s not ideal to restrict a cat to indoors only. They are also top of the list of No.1 stolen cats because they have value. Consider the vet bills too and of course a fluffy coat will need good maintenance to ensure the cat stays clean and healthy.

Still interested in a Ragdoll? "

Yep and keep it indoors where it’s safe and able to keep clean. Myself or my daughter will take it out on a lead or let it go in the garden supervised but not out for hours at a time. Less chance of it picking up fleas from grass or mixing with other cats, can’t be stolen from the street or garden, won’t be able to roll in any dead animals. Will be a pampered puss.

over a year ago

I have three rescues - a Norwegian Forest and two 'moggies'

They have dry biscuits (hills) and wet food (farm food do the best offers if you are able to buy in bulk)

I made a conscious decision not to take out insurance as it would be around £100 a month.. And many things, such as dental etc are not covered... But it means you need to save, as vets bills are breathtaking

If you have a Pets4vets, they usually have some good offers (vac for life etc), and you can visit any branch, so if you are travelling, you have peace of mind

I use wood pellet cat litter, as it is easier to dispose of and smells a bit better

Train behaviour with a plant water bottle /sprayer

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I'd love a Bengal cat. They look ace.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

I’d save your pennies and just shake a bag of dreamies out your front door so the neighbour cats come round. You get a free cat and no vets bills.

You are welcome

over a year ago

"I’d save your pennies and just shake a bag of dreamies out your front door so the neighbour cats come round. You get a free cat and no vets bills.

You are welcome "

There is a nice grey short haired cat that comes in my house in the evening sometimes and sits with me on the sofa

By *oudLoutishLoverWoman
over a year ago

Colchester

I’m an Oriental breeder. Pedigree cats tend to remain with their mums a bit longer, and are usually homed at around 12 weeks or after, when both sets of jabs are complete.

One thing I would stress is that being alone for twelve hours at a time seems extreme, depending on the breed. My cats can’t live without a companion cat, so getting a pair might be an idea if the breeds you’re interested in are as loving and sociable as Orientals.

Personally, I wouldn’t sell a kitten to someone who worked 12 hour shifts unless there were other family members in the home, or another cat of similar age for company and stimulation. But my view is by no means the view of many.

I don’t work, so my six adult cats and numerous kittens are never alone. This makes them very loving, rewarding cats. Almost doglike in their devotion. I’d be concerned that a cat might be quite aloof if forced to be self sufficient for such long periods from an early age.

Sorry to ramble. And as I say, I’m only referring to Orientals. With other breeds your mileage may vary.

(Spotted tabby Oriental litter due in 2 weeks, if anyone cares!)

By *oudLoutishLoverWoman
over a year ago

Colchester

Forgot to say, I feed a supermarket wet food twice per day (Felix AGAIL), and posh biscuits are down at all times for free feeding. James Wellbeloved makes very silky coats!

If you’re going to splash out on one or the other, I recommend it being the dried food.

Cats, man…..better than people.

Good luck with your new baby.

over a year ago

"Forgot to say, I feed a supermarket wet food twice per day (Felix AGAIL), and posh biscuits are down at all times for free feeding. James Wellbeloved makes very silky coats!

If you’re going to splash out on one or the other, I recommend it being the dried food.

"

Only two shifts a week now. I could take the kitten to my mums with my daughter when I go to work. Xmas seems a good time to buy the kitten cos I’ve 19 days off with 8 of them being after after Xmas day.

By *oudLoutishLoverWoman
over a year ago

Colchester

Well that doesn’t sound too bad, I thought it was five days a week!

Good thinking ref. spending time bonding over Christmas.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Not sure if already mentioned but there is currently (according to my vet) a long waiting list to have animals neutered due to the backlog created by the lockdowns."
I had to wait 4 weeks was all for my two boys to be booked in x x

over a year ago

If you’re getting a kitten, they will be socialised to you and be happy with the attention. An older cat has already developed its behaviour so might not like being given lots of cuddles etc but that’s true for any breed. I wouldn’t take a kitten before 12 weeks - they need time with their mum and siblings to learn and helps their behaviour long term.

Rag dolls need a lot of grooming, brushing, cleaning their fur if any toilet mistakes happen which they will. I’m my experience, pure breeds are more of a commitment that regard.

I’d always try recuse if possible, there are alot of homeless cats and paying that kind of money to a breeder is a bit problematic with regards to the welfare of the mother. If you do go with a breeder, visit them check the care and conditions for the animals. Most are legit and caring people but a lot are not.

Also there are a lot of scammers, so best do the homework.

But it’s your choice obviously. Best thing to do is look on cat protection site for advice, read as much as you can about caring for felines and if you choose a pure breed that particular breeds needs.

I would say alot of cat breeder sites can be misleading so speak to a vet or cat protection. Good luck and hope it goes well

Proud dad to 3 cats here

By *essica FlabbitWoman
over a year ago

west midlands/shropshire

Adopt don't shop!

over a year ago

"Forgot to say, I feed a supermarket wet food twice per day (Felix AGAIL), and posh biscuits are down at all times for free feeding. James Wellbeloved makes very silky coats!

Only two shifts a week now. I could take the kitten to my mums with my daughter when I go to work. Xmas seems a good time to buy the kitten cos I’ve 19 days off with 8 of them being after after Xmas day. "

Usually rescues stop rehoming late nov/early dec to avoid Xmas (usually stressful, busy times)... But private breeders might still rehome

over a year ago

"I'd love a Bengal cat. They look ace. "

I'm not sure they would be classed an easy first pet

over a year ago

I lost my cat recently. Apparently some nutcase with a bag of treats has been going round the area trying to attract the.

I suspect it's the neighbours but I've got no proof.

over a year ago

I am always kinda uneasy with people choosing certain breeds because they are 'pretty' or because they are the 'in' breed

Animals are not an accessory

I used to have two beautiful tabby girls from the same litter

Their personalities were so different - one bonded with me, one with the ex Mrs

They both lived to 15-16, so a cat is certainly a commitment beyond childhood

Is the cat for you or your daughter or both? cos give it 4 years and she'll be more interested in boys, off to college, maybe off to Uni and you still have a cat to look after

I realise this post sounds a bit 'diggy' but it is more me using this thread as a sounding board for my thoughts on how incidental and disposable some animals become once the initial attraction and novelty has worn off

To me, you enter into a relationship with a pet asking the same questions you would about a new relationship or parenthood cos I think the dynamic between you and a pet is a kind of mix between the two

over a year ago

"I am always kinda uneasy with people choosing certain breeds because they are 'pretty' or because they are the 'in' breed

Animals are not an accessory

I used to have two beautiful tabby girls from the same litter

Their personalities were so different - one bonded with me, one with the ex Mrs

They both lived to 15-16, so a cat is certainly a commitment beyond childhood

Is the cat for you or your daughter or both? cos give it 4 years and she'll be more interested in boys, off to college, maybe off to Uni and you still have a cat to look after

I realise this post sounds a bit 'diggy' but it is more me using this thread as a sounding board for my thoughts on how incidental and disposable some animals become once the initial attraction and novelty has worn off

To me, you enter into a relationship with a pet asking the same questions you would about a new relationship or parenthood cos I think the dynamic between you and a pet is a kind of mix between the two"

Very well said

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"My mums cat goes outside but for some bizarre reason he comes inside for a shit in his litter tray then goes back out He’s only allowed out when my mum is home which is first thing in the morning before she goes to work then he’s in the house during the day, he’s allowed out at tea time for a couple of hours then in when it starts to get dark. Apart from when he’s just done a poop I can never smell the litter tray.

I don’t want my cat going outside on its own cos there’s a few cats around the street that fight plus the breed of cat I want requires a lot of grooming and I want to keep it clean. "

Perhaps you need to consider what you're cat might want rather than just what you want. Unlike dogs, cats clean themselves and smell lovely.

Kittens look lovely, but will scratch you, your daughter and your furniture, so be prepared.

By *oudLoutishLoverWoman
over a year ago

Colchester

"I'd love a Bengal cat. They look ace. "

I have one. He’s beautiful, clever, almost human, and practically help raised my children.

But Arthur is neurotic, gets stressed easily, and was a crazy man until he was about three. I wouldn’t have a Bengal again.

Orientals all the way. Chatty, loving, loyal, and SO beautiful, like Egyptian sphinxes. Plus, low allergy and low shedding. All cats have poo misjudgments. I couldn’t handle long fur for this reason.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/10/21 10:09:59]

over a year ago

"I'd love a Bengal cat. They look ace.

I have one. He’s beautiful, clever, almost human, and practically help raised my children.

But Arthur is neurotic, gets stressed easily, and was a crazy man until he was about three. I wouldn’t have a Bengal again.

Orientals all the way. Chatty, loving, loyal, and SO beautiful, like Egyptian sphinxes. Plus, low allergy and low shedding. All cats have poo misjudgments. I couldn’t handle long fur for this reason."

My phone a screen is cracked with a black blob so my typos are ridiculous. Try again!

I said, you actually look like Cleopatra so makes sense for you to have Egyptian cats!

over a year ago

Cat sanctuaries are full of beautiful discarded cats. All ages and looks. Please check those out first x

P.S don't forget to get scratch posts.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Was thinking of a rag doll cross. Get the benefits of it looking lovely but the cross breed will make it more hardy and live longer. I’m not interested in wanting to breed it so don’t need a pedigree.

Still interested in a Ragdoll?

Yep and keep it indoors where it’s safe and able to keep clean. Myself or my daughter will take it out on a lead or let it go in the garden supervised but not out for hours at a time. Less chance of it picking up fleas from grass or mixing with other cats, can’t be stolen from the street or garden, won’t be able to roll in any dead animals. Will be a pampered puss. "

My cats get to roam wherever they want. So summers mean long days outside, exploring and hunting, sunning themselves, kipping in bushes. and breaking into neighbours houses.

Do they get fleas and ticks? Rarely. Do they get wet and need to be dried? Often. Is their quality of life enhanced by being able to roam outdoors? Hell yeah!

over a year ago

This isn’t a discussion about whether the cat should be outdoors or not.

I specifically want a breed of cat that is notoriously lazy, chilled and likes to be fussed and cuddled.

It will have time outdoors but supervised. If I’m having it from kitten it will be used to living in the house with us and just going outside with us.

over a year ago

Also I don’t want it breaking into neighbours gardens because my neighbour to my left has two massive American pit bulls that terrify me let alone a cat, they killed someone’s cat a couple of years ago.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"This isn’t a discussion about whether the cat should be outdoors or not.

I specifically want a breed of cat that is notoriously lazy, chilled and likes to be fussed and cuddled.

It will have time outdoors but supervised. If I’m having it from kitten it will be used to living in the house with us and just going outside with us. "

If you have a cat that is desperate to go outside, nothing you can do will dissuade it so be ready to spend its and your life worrying about open doors and windows.

I think all we are nudging you to think about is that a cat has natural behaviours and instincts and you are considering stopping them from being the animal they are.

If you want it to stay indoors for 12-15 years, you'll need to recreate its natural habitat and provide prey, climbing and hiding places and companionship from another animal.

My personal view is that placing a harness and lead on a cat is incredibly cruel.

Cats are awsome creatures, I hope you and your daughter find the perfect match, don't forget that the cat is always in charge!

By *mma29Couple
over a year ago

wirral

You should consider getting 2 for company, especially during the time it will be left alone...cats are sociable creatures and if it will be an indoor only cat it will need stimulation, a little pal would be ideal

Post new Message to Thread