Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Work

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So I've been given notice at work that there will be compulsory redundancies being given out as well as working days being cut down to just 3 a week and I just don't know where to turn!

Either way I'm going to get bitten in the arse...

I have quite an important role within the business so redundancy is unlikely but I'm not sure if I can cope with just 3 days a week neither.

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Some income is always better than no income. You could find a second part time job if you are worried about finances.

I wish you good luck OP

K

By *usman 199Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"So I've been given notice at work that there will be compulsory redundancies being given out as well as working days being cut down to just 3 a week and I just don't know where to turn!

I have quite an important role within the business so redundancy is unlikely but I'm not sure if I can cope with just 3 days a week neither.

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad "

what do you do mate

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

IS there anything you've really wanted to do and are you in a position to do it?

Can this be an opportunity to just go for it?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"So I've been given notice at work that there will be compulsory redundancies being given out as well as working days being cut down to just 3 a week and I just don't know where to turn!

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad what do you do mate "

I have various roles but I'm an engineer/quality engineer mainly but I'm not qualified unfortunately

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad "

So you’re only going to get paid for three days, based on your description? Otherwise there’d be no difference.

Could you get a job doing the same elsewhere with less than a 40% reduction but roughly similar overall? Go for that if you can.

Don’t accept losing a chunk of your income.

over a year ago

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad what do you do mate

I have various roles but I'm an engineer/quality engineer mainly but I'm not qualified unfortunately"

You're 35

Young enough to obtain your qualifications, still at an age that is attractive to employers

This could be the push to move your career along

Don't allow change to scare you, give it a run for its money

over a year ago

Sorry for the post I just needed to vent! The world's going mad what do you do mate

I have various roles but I'm an engineer/quality engineer mainly but I'm not qualified unfortunately

You're 35

Young enough to obtain your qualifications, still at an age that is attractive to employers

This could be the push to move your career along

Don't allow change to scare you, give it a run for its money "

good advice!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Renegotiate any tv/broadband/phone contracts (tell them about employment situation). Next insurance renewals, shop around. Cut out unnecessary food/drink. Go by yearly cost. That £1 per week newspaper is £52 per year as an example. Use time off to search on sites such as indeed for your next employment. Use this chance maybe to try your hand at something different locally and save on travel costs. Good luck o/p.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Can you drive a lorry?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm really sorry OP, I went through similar earlier in the year so I know how stressful it is. My advice is start looking for a new job now as you at least have your consultation period plus notice period to look elsewhere. My employer actually shot themselves in the foot as too many people of certain roles found new jobs before the consultation even finished but that's the company's problem and a result of their own arrogance in thinking everyone was just going to sit around and wait to see and accept whatever was offered.

Post new Message to Thread