Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Brand snob or shop own products?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Which are you?

I like brand name deodorant, toothpaste and washing up liquid but for everything else I don't mind value brands. The above are probably just the same products but that's where the snob in me creeps in!

Which category do you fall in?

Danish x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Il happily take up pain killers that aren’t branded as they are the same (label check). Also pick up the supermarkets own milk, bread and diluting juice. Everything else brand purely because I always buy the same things weekly

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I used to work in a pickle factory many moons ago, all they did was change the label, apart from Heinz which had its own line

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Pepsi max or diet and heinz ketchup.

By *ristobaltMan
over a year ago

penryn

Aldi’s caterpillar cake of m & s? The great debate

By *ristobaltMan
over a year ago

penryn

"Aldi’s caterpillar cake of m & s? The great debate "

Meant to say or

over a year ago

Branded breakfast cereals are often better.

over a year ago

"Pepsi max or diet and heinz ketchup. "

I like Aldis version of pepsi max. But yes, ketchup definitely! I got some cheap stuff recently and it's rank!

Danish x

over a year ago

I buy things I like... Don't really care about the branding... Unfortunately I haven't found any Irregular choice cheap clones yet

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

It depends on the items. Sometimes cheaper things aren't the same quality, don't contain the same things as more expensive ones. I'm a bit of a savvy shopper so I'll say it depends - false economy is a thing.

over a year ago

"I buy things I like... Don't really care about the branding... Unfortunately I haven't found any Irregular choice cheap clones yet "

I love IC shoes, got my own little but expensive collection x

over a year ago

A bit of both...

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

I buy most of my stuff own brand in the co-op as it's usually very good & much cheaper. Any big brands tends to only be stuff that's on offer but even then own brand can actually still be less. Being a single parent I have to be savvy & study my options before placing things in the trolley. Plus you earn points to spend on own brand you don't get on big branded. No issues here.

over a year ago

Im a bit of a mix up really depends on the product. I only ever use oral b pro expert tooth paste and branded cereal. Washing powder has to be fairy or persil non bio. Food I go for quality rather than brand

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Aside from Percy Pigs which have to be M&S, I’m not fussed about own brand. I’m Northern so I love a bargain!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Also pick up the supermarkets own milk"

I didn't realise there is branded milk

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Definitely a brand snog with biscuits!

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Definitely a brand snog with biscuits!"

Snob even

By *oxyvixen99Woman
over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Im a mixer

over a year ago

Food wise its all from the grocer's or butches ect so doesnt have labels, things like toothpaste and other consumables i tend to go for branded purely as ive found they suit my needs more.

What is interesting is when i compare all my food purchases all from independent fresh local stores ,meat, veg,fruit and my amazon order for consumables it still works out cheaper than shopping at tesco.

over a year ago

We'll not spend more than we need to if a cheaper product is good enough.

There are some items we may not scrimp on, due to experience.

Our money is better in our pockets then a companies charging more than they need because they're recognised.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Im a mixer"

Same. Some things I prefer branded. Some you can get away with cheaper.

over a year ago

Food wise it depends some stuff I don’t compromise at all and pick the best while other things I’ll compromise (like stock cube for example)

I don’t compromise on accessories tho, bags and sunglasses and jewellery I tend to buy luxury brands x quality over quantity for sure.

Id rather have one Chanel bag than 124591 bags from primark

over a year ago

"Definitely a brand snog with biscuits!"

Ahem…. WAITROSE WHORE!

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Things like bleach, medicines, razor blades (blinking pink tax) I'll use cheaper brands. 200mg of ibuprofen is the same if you get own brand Vs neurofen.

With food it depends sometimes it's own brand others it'll be branded. It's more trial and error which I prefer.

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Definitely a brand snog with biscuits!

Ahem…. WAITROSE WHORE! "

Shushhhhh no comment

over a year ago

Has to be Kellogs cornflakes and crunchy nutters and fairy washing up liquid....other stuff not so fussed

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Use of the word “snob” in the heading kinda gives the game away.

I am very happy to pay for quality, for any products that are important to me and where the difference on quality is clear and identifiable.

Food is top of the list. Very happy to pay extra for good quality fresh fruit, veg, meat, poultry etc. Apart from staying dry and warm, nothing matters more to me on a daily basis than food.

Clothing, similar. Not bothered when it comes to stuff like chinos or jeans, which I just wear to death, but stuff like footwear and waterproofs I will pay extra for to get high quality reliable kit.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Also pick up the supermarkets own milk

I didn't realise there is branded milk"

You mean like Duchy? Yeo valley? Cravendale?

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Has to be Kellogg’s cereal. People seem to think there’s no difference. There absolutely is. Hellman’s Mayo also. Other than that I’m willing to try but if I don’t like it I’ll go back to branded. I actually much prefer Tesco’s beans to Heinz.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I find there is little difference in quality and its sometimes better than branded stuff so a brand has no interest to me.

Living alone with a sole mortgage means in order to have a decent quality of life you need to watch the pennies

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

Own brands all the way, I only do a main shop once a month as I am on a tight budget, I bake my own bread, I buy my herbs and spices from the local wholefood shop as they are half the price of supermarket brands.

I have a brilliant app which tracks the price of the items I buy every month so I know how much my shop is going to cost me and who is price dropping the products, definitely a savvy shopper, I also have an app that breaks down the food cost of recipes.

over a year ago

"Own brands all the way, I only do a main shop once a month as I am on a tight budget, I bake my own bread, I buy my herbs and spices from the local wholefood shop as they are half the price of supermarket brands.

I have a brilliant app which tracks the price of the items I buy every month so I know how much my shop is going to cost me and who is price dropping the products, definitely a savvy shopper, I also have an app that breaks down the food cost of recipes."

Do you have a bread machine or use the oven? I love the smell but my bread is inedible.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I will try own label, off brand and generics and make my decision.

I changed some brands during lockdown (Asda own brand deodorant rather than my usual when I was at home and there was nobody to smell me if I got a bit ripe, for example), some I went back to my old brand, some I stuck with.

There are few brands I'm precious about - my shampoo, toothpaste, tea bags, but most I'll swap.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Has to be Kellogg’s cereal. People seem to think there’s no difference. There absolutely is. Hellman’s Mayo also. Other than that I’m willing to try but if I don’t like it I’ll go back to branded. I actually much prefer Tesco’s beans to Heinz. "

There really is a huge difference with corn flakes. If I have cereal it tends to be all bran, and I don't notice the difference with an own brand for that.

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

"Own brands all the way, I only do a main shop once a month as I am on a tight budget, I bake my own bread, I buy my herbs and spices from the local wholefood shop as they are half the price of supermarket brands.

I have a brilliant app which tracks the price of the items I buy every month so I know how much my shop is going to cost me and who is price dropping the products, definitely a savvy shopper, I also have an app that breaks down the food cost of recipes.

Do you have a bread machine or use the oven? I love the smell but my bread is inedible. "

oven, but I will bake other items like malt loaf or Bara Brith and suck at the same time

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Do you have a bread machine or use the oven? I love the smell but my bread is inedible. oven, but I will bake other items like malt loaf or Bara Brith and suck at the same time"

Malt loaf

That app sounds good. I used to use mysupermarket before it shut down.

over a year ago

I didn't realise there is branded milk"

Cravendale - so good the cows want it back

Doughnut

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Depends on what I fancy. There are some own brand biscuits, crisps, chocolate and ice cream that are really good but occasionally I do fancy the brand name if it's Ben & Jerry's or Lindt or Maryland cookies

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I didn't realise there is branded milk

Cravendale - so good the cows want it back

Doughnut "

I buy cravendale because it works out cheaper for me. If I buy normal milk it is lumpy before I've used half of it, whereas if I buy cravendale it lasts long enough that I normally use it all before it turns.

over a year ago

I usually get the shop brand rather than named brand at over half the price most the time however I do check ingredients first and usually the cheaper option are identical winner winner

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

I won’t buy a brand on the strength of the name, rather if it actually is a superior product where the superiority is worth the money.

Not so widely known brands found in Lidl, Aldi and as other supermarket own labels are often superior. As vegans we are used to reading labels and ingredients. For example, when it comes to plant based burgers, the beyond burger is unbeatable, but more expensive. It’s worth it in my opinion.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I experiment and continue with what I like. Not a brand snob

By *acavityMan
over a year ago

Redditch

The less processing, the more likely I'd buy own brand. E.g frozen veg.

Other than that, It depends on the quality of the product, not the label.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’m normally all about the cheap stuff, but my fwb gave me a small tub of expensive face cream to use. It’s £1600 for a 500ml tub, which is a big tub, but that’s still ridiculous.

I’ll use it and see how I get on. I’ve no idea what could possibly be in this ti make it that expensive

over a year ago

"Food wise its all from the grocer's or butches ect so doesnt have labels, things like toothpaste and other consumables i tend to go for branded purely as ive found they suit my needs more.

What is interesting is when i compare all my food purchases all from independent fresh local stores ,meat, veg,fruit and my amazon order for consumables it still works out cheaper than shopping at tesco. "

This is what I find, I use the butcher for meat and fruit and veg shop for the fruit and veg, Morrisons for everything else.

Only branded stuff buy really is tea and coffee, got to be PG tips and Douwe Egbert

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Depends what it is, never supermarket cola or chocolate.

Always supermarket washing powder etc.

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

"Depends what it is, never supermarket cola or chocolate."

Tesco Cola Zero, Aldi’s Vive range and Lidl’s Freeway range are all worth a taste test. All three are in the 39p / 49p price bracket.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I buy things I like... Don't really care about the branding... Unfortunately I haven't found any Irregular choice cheap clones yet "

My daughter travels from Wellingborough all the way to Brighton to buy her Irregular Choice shoes, I think it is because they have the latest style's rather than cheaper prices, dont know about clones though but will ask the question

over a year ago

I buy both brand and supermarket own things. Deodorant, toothpaste, shower gel all branded but meat is either from the butchers or the supermarkets

Usually go to Homebargains for things like toilet & kitchen roll, cleaning things on offer and branded

over a year ago

"I used to work in a pickle factory many moons ago, all they did was change the label, apart from Heinz which had its own line "

This happens so often with things. I worked in a gift packing factory years ago and so often it was the same goods, same clear packaging, different stickers.

over a year ago

"I’m normally all about the cheap stuff, but my fwb gave me a small tub of expensive face cream to use. It’s £1600 for a 500ml tub, which is a big tub, but that’s still ridiculous.

I’ll use it and see how I get on. I’ve no idea what could possibly be in this ti make it that expensive "

Wowzers!!! That's about a year of groceries for me!!! I would want to find a diamond in that tub for that price.

over a year ago

It’s got to be Calvin Klein boxers/briefs - not Calvin Classics.

Post new Message to Thread