Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Staying friends with your ex

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Isn't it a bit awkward? Like do you introduce to your new gf/bf? Isn't it easier to just move on? There is a reason he/she/they are your ex!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *adetMan
over a year ago

At Sea

My ex and me just grew apart and became more like friends. We've even been on holiday together since we separated

It's no big deal for two adults to still get along as friends

over a year ago

"My ex and me just grew apart and became more like friends. We've even been on holiday together since we separated

It's no big deal for two adults to still get along as friends "

Did you jigi jigi on holiday?

By *adetMan
over a year ago

At Sea

"My ex and me just grew apart and became more like friends. We've even been on holiday together since we separated

It's no big deal for two adults to still get along as friends

Did you jigi jigi on holiday?"

Haha no. Never so much as held hands since we separated

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My OH was out with my ex last night

They're the best of friends

I was home with the dog

By *oroRick1027Man
over a year ago

The Boro

It's no big deal for two adults to still get along as friends "

Couldn't agree more. Been separated for 4 years now. Popping round today to paint her garage door.

over a year ago

It depends what you mean by staying friends.

There's a difference between hanging out together and being actual friends, to being on friendly terms with each other but not actually maintaining a friendship.

I can't do it. It's too confusing, drags things out and one or both end up getting hurt unnecessarily.

over a year ago

"My OH was out with my ex last night

I was home with the dog "

Why did you go with them?

over a year ago

"My OH was out with my ex last night

I was home with the dog

Why did you go with them?"

I am drained at the moment, both emotionally and physically

A night in, larking about on here & watching YouTube clips was, for me, a much better option than a night on the piss

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

My ex is a nut job and the less contact I have with her the better. Unfortunately she is the gateway to our children.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I get on better with Mr M now we are separated than I did when we were together. I shared 15+ years and I have a kiddo with the chap, I think it would have been more upsetting to lose contact or be acrimonious.

over a year ago

Im still friends with my ex's. Im not a 'falling out' type of person so when its ended its always been on a mutual note.

over a year ago

For starters I have three kids with my ex so not seeing him again wasn't an option.

I have remained close friends with my ex, until Doughnut turned up six years ago we used to go out to the pub etc and then when he came on the scene he accepted that my ex was still in my life socially (it was a given that he would always be there) and sometimes when we went out, my ex would be there and it was never, ever awkward (seeing the confused looks on people's faces was funny though when we explained).

When we got married my ex bought our boys to the hotel I was getting ready in and was with myself, boys and family and friends while we got ready. He declined the wedding but came to the reception and even videoed our first dance for us. It has never, ever felt strange (you would have to ask Doughnut for his point of view). It's only in the last two years things have shifted, we don't talk as much and never go out socially anymore.

Danish x

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Depends what kind of ex they were. Ex bf, father of my child...

I'm still friends with lots of the bf's unless they were complete dickheads.

Sons dad, it's just amicable co parenting. I've never met his wife, I wouldn't introduce him to anyone I was seeing, none of his business.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

No. Once the trust is gone, I can’t have a friendship with someone.

I can be civil if needs be but that ship sailed once she decided to lie

over a year ago

Have a great relationship with my ex wife, sometimes we have sex

over a year ago

Ex for exit. So no, its bye bye

over a year ago

I'm friends with one of mine, he's the loveliest guy and I wanted him still in my life. He feels the same. It was hard for a while as I didn't want to split. Also in contact with three long term play partners. Once the connection is there, I don't want to throw it away.

over a year ago

Mrs Cheeky and my ex her along great, they actually really like one another.

Clearly I have great taste.

In fact, Mrs has met a few of my exes that I'm friends with.

I'd never go next because they're an ex for a reason, that reason isn't always toxicity.

By *verageman81Man
over a year ago

aberdeen.

I'm good friends with 2 of my exs nothing happens just get along fine and trust each other just fell out of love.

over a year ago

Depends on everyone’s situation I guess! My ex is the mother of our 2 young children so staying in contact is inevitable and we are amicable.

I actually picked our kids up yesterday and had to meet her new fella for the first time. It was a civil friendly pick up, but still a sore one to take considering we were together just over 2 months ago!

over a year ago

I'm very close to one of mine and we're better friends than we were partners. Her fella is a wonderful guy.

There was a bit of awkwardness at first (before she got with him)

I guess just let whatever happens naturally happen

over a year ago

My ex is my best friend. It can get confusing though as I sometimes view him like a brother and sometimes a sex partner. We've blurred the lines often and it can get a bit awkward, but I'd still rather this than cut each other out altogether.

over a year ago

Although the time leading to the divorce was tough - we've separated on a good note. We'd go for lunch and have a chat if bumped into each other. I've also bought shoes for his new wife for their wedding.

over a year ago

Sometimes I wish I could've stayed friends with my ex as I do miss him sometimes, but it inevitably delays the moving on process.

Plus I found out he was lying to me, so yeah, trust broken

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

I'm only interacting with my ex because of our kids. Our convos are kids related and that's about it. I think we tried to do the whole friends thing but I just find it awkward. But if she was ever in a spot of bother that I could help, of course I would help and I'm sure she would do the same for me but that's about it really

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I’m friends with all my ex’s apart from one. My ex husband lives locally and we have a great relationship and will help each other out when needed. The end of a relationship doesn’t have to be the end of a friendship as long as there are no lies involved. I value his friendship greatly.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We have children together so there will always be some contact. I’m also still very close to his family. We are civil to each other & attend events together if we have to but that is all. He cheated on me & I have no respect for him.

J

over a year ago

I get on with my ex but could never introduce her to the wife as she see's the past as the past.....and a potential threat!

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I do with my children's father. Especially when the kids were younger. We helped one another in several occasions.

over a year ago

nope, absolutely dead to me.

and for good reason.

Px

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

I'm friends with my ex.

We were friends before we got together, so as mature adults, I see no reason why we can't be afterwards.

Might help that the split was amicable, we both realised we were unhappy and neither wanted that for the other. So we parted ways to look for our happiness.

By *urplechesterCouple
over a year ago

chester

I wouldn’t breathe in the same space as my ex’s, whereas Mr is close to his ex Miss pc

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

I’ve several injunctions in place to protect myself and our kids from mine… do court dates count?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I am very good friends with my ex. We grew apart which is life but I still care for his wellbeing. My daughter lives with him so I see him often and we still buy each other gifts at Christmas and on birthdays.

over a year ago

Everyone is different and in different relationships with people - Ex’s included. Did you have a good friendlyrelationship , hell, why not stay friends? Was it a toxic abusive one, I’d assume it be okay if someone said they stay their distance.

Past relationships are in the past, you could still have a new type of friendship with an ex.

over a year ago

Having said what I have above. I get your point with your new gf/bf etc. Could be awkward if they can’t understand it.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

They are my ex for a reason. We do not keep in contact.

By *ubandsubCouple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Me and my ex are now fwb, none of the relationship ties. Just the best bits. Not easy for everyone to have that kind of relationship.

But me and her were always beat friends.

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

I stay in touch with mine we also have a child which is the main reason but that said we split with no ill feelings and I'd like to think we would have been friends with or without the kid

It depends on the nature of the split

over a year ago

Some you can some you can't.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I am friends with two exes. One was a brief fling that quickly fizzled into friendship, and he's now one of my best friends. There is no awkwardness between us as it doesn't feel there is anything left unresolved - we are both aware we make better friends than lovers. We've both had many other relationships and flings since the split and it's never caused any tension.

The other one was a long standing relationship where circumstances drove us apart. We are friends at a distance, interested in each other's lives, both aware of the other's relationships. I suspect if he moved back to this country there would be a certain level of awkwardness because we would both want to pick up where we left off, which couldn't happen if either of us had moved on into a monogamous relationship. There would be a tension between wanting him for myself and wanting him to be happy in his relationship, and I think the same would apply with him.

over a year ago

With my previous exes, it’s a no from me dawg

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm reasonably friendly with my first long term boyfriend. I have to be because he's still in the same social circles. We were pretty close friends for a while but I drifted away as he upset me with some of his behaviour towards our mutual friends. He was recently at my best friend's wedding and as I was maid of honour I was away from my partner for a lot of the first half of the day. Came back to find the two of them engrossed in conversation as they work in similar industries. Pretty sure my current partner likes him far more than I do now .

By *acavityMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I'm still on good terms with my exes.

Go out for dinner with some occasionally.

Even shared a bed (platonically), when staying at a mutual friend's.

Just because we aren't together, doesn't mean that the friendship is over.

But boundaries are important.

By *aughty Couple ABCCouple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

Mrs here.

We're friends with one of my exs who just happened to be hubby's friend as well. We have been on holidays together and parties and get togethers at each others houses

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve quite a number of ex Fab naughty female friends that I am still just mates with. We still enjoy meeting up, despite sex not being on the agenda anymore.

By *urvyBi-84Man
over a year ago

Lancs

"Isn't it a bit awkward? Like do you introduce to your new gf/bf? Isn't it easier to just move on? There is a reason he/she/they are your ex! "

Nope. My ex and I are best friends. My new gf and I hang out with her and her new bf and we all get on swimmingly. It’s not been easy to get to that point but it was worth it.

It all depends on how and why you break up with someone. We broke up amicably but if there is any animosity then staying friends is almost impossible.

Post new Message to Thread