Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

We need to talk about wages

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Wages haven't really gone up with inflation. Just look at your salary 10 years ago and now

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

If I'm looking at absolute salaries, mine has gone up way above inflation. I've been promoted twice in that time (from being "newly qualified") so I've not done badly at all.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Think it is hard to judge as during the last ten years I have retired from one job and then subsequently had four other jobs at different companies. In three of those companies I have had vastly different roles.

Looking at the company I work for at the moment and I just happen to have the information for the last 7 years worth of wage rises on my desk from a piece a work I did for them this week i can tell you that the companies wages have risen well above the RPI.

By *dquestCouple
over a year ago

Peterborough

Subjective not absolute

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

You seem fiscally frustrated OP. You ok?

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I am earning less now working more hours than I was 25yrs ago

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My wages have gone up by 4 pence pH,in last 6 years.

By *quaman87Man
over a year ago

ramsey

I'm a hgv driver mine have gone up

over a year ago

Industry i work in the wages are naturally high. Apply for the rail sector if you want good money.

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

most dont follow inflation, back in the 90s i was earning stupid money, now on the same and it doesnt seem so good

By *akie32Man
over a year ago

winchester

must say that im a contractor tho so no inflation linked rise, or pension, so abit different

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan
over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

Wages have been massively devalued in the nhs since the finical crash, this 3% rise to the NHS has gone with the rise in NI and now they are changing the pension again so that’s sucking up the rest for almost all so any rise is now gone. Typical government sound bits, smoke and mirrors

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

On a personal level my wage has not really increased much at all. I ask myself why am I still there!

over a year ago

I think anyone working in the NHS (myself included) should be careful moaning about wages when those in the private sector have a much higher chance of being royally screwed especially over COVID. NHS got a small pay rise and, yes, one which has been affected by other tax issues. What did private sector employees get? Nada.

Public sector wages “have never been high enough” - but they are a guaranteed income and you have to try hard to get fired. Not so in the private sector.

By *eeveeTV/TS
over a year ago

Doncaster

[Removed by poster at 24/10/21 05:17:12]

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan
over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

"I think anyone working in the NHS (myself included) should be careful moaning about wages when those in the private sector have a much higher chance of being royally screwed especially over COVID. NHS got a small pay rise and, yes, one which has been affected by other tax issues. What did private sector employees get? Nada.

Public sector wages “have never been high enough” - but they are a guaranteed income and you have to try hard to get fired. Not so in the private sector. "

And that’s how our pensions got robbed, sorry but for some professional in the nhs the pay gap between us and the private sector has got to the point we’re we can’t recruit so the few remaining are doing more than ever, at least all the union ballots are coming back against this real terms pay cut I would expect and hope for strike action before too long to stand up to Boris and his chums who have raked it in over Covid

By *razytimesinloveCouple
over a year ago

SW Scotland

I moved jobs and my wages went up a fair chunk for doing a lesser role, was senior engineer and moved over to engineer.

Also it’s not just about wages, if it’s a good work/life balance etc

over a year ago

"I think anyone working in the NHS (myself included) should be careful moaning about wages when those in the private sector have a much higher chance of being royally screwed especially over COVID. NHS got a small pay rise and, yes, one which has been affected by other tax issues. What did private sector employees get? Nada.

Public sector wages “have never been high enough” - but they are a guaranteed income and you have to try hard to get fired. Not so in the private sector. .

And that’s how our pensions got robbed, sorry but for some professional in the nhs the pay gap between us and the private sector has got to the point we’re we can’t recruit so the few remaining are doing more than ever, at least all the union ballots are coming back against this real terms pay cut I would expect and hope for strike action before too long to stand up to Boris and his chums who have raked it in over Covid "

Take your chances though - jump to the private sector, you might get a bit more but have a high chance of being unemployed in a couple of years when they restructure. The NHS is very unlikely to fire you.

And the NHS striking? I work in the NHS in a patient-facing role. It’s unethical of me to strike and just plain wrong. The Govt doesn’t suffer - patients do.

Post new Message to Thread