FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you getting worried about money/bills/etc?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We see ourselves as always being ok/lucky that we've never had to live from hand to mouth.

The above is partly due to hard work, prudent spending and balanced savings.

We don't work and have not done so about 8 years ie both left work at the same time took early retirment. But money is falling short as savings used to a good extent have money for rainy days but the increase in.

Gas and Eletric as we are at home most of the time and 2 months ago came of a fixed tarrif our bills have sky rocketed.

Coucil tax up massivel

Petrol up massively.

Food up by about 7% as lot less bargains online as we shop online on the whole

Our payg on 3, shot up from 3p to 10p a minute but thankfully use wats app for family.

Cost of servicing our boiler gone up

Several unexpected repairs to the boiler, leaking rad, toilet stopped working, hifi broke, microwave broke as well as washing machine.

new tyres as got punture so changed all and tyre prices a lot higher than about 2/3 years ago.

We dont go out never liked it other than one hol a year and about 5 day trips.

even going to the prk with the car and paying paring is off limits now.

need a new mattress as exisitng one about 12/13 years old paid a load of money for it and we cant justfiy spending close to 12oo for a similar.

Are you finding you are a bit orrid re money.

The only good thing, we don't do cc and finished paying our mortage a few years ago.

yes, getting depressing but i guess we are better off than many and i may take up a part time job

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

I think it’s a general concern affecting most.

Being in a position where you currently have a degree of financial freedom not afforded to most doesn’t make your concerns any less pertinent.

If you’re feeling the pinch, with no CC, mortgage or other forms of debt it puts into context the challenges facing most

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

Yes op - definitely feeling the pinch. Have little (just over £100) to last the kids and I for the next 2 weeks until more money comes in.

Trying really hard to not to go into my overdraft but it’s unlikely I’ll manage. November and December is obviously when I buy Christmas presents etc too - and 2 of my 3 children have December birthdays.

Fortunately the ‘Santa years’ are long gone so I can explain to the kids that there won’t be many presents this year. I hate that though.

Currently looking for a full time job so hoping Boris keeps his promise re raising the minimum wage by a decent amount next April (he mentioned £9.40+ ph - we’ll see). If he does that’ll make a significant difference to the kids and I.

Op - as you’re still both relatively young (by retirement standards) have you considered one or both of you getting a part time job to ease your finances?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

One thing that can be done is shop around for insurance every year. I've saved a lot by doing this for car and home. Also when out of contract with internet/tv/phone supplier, negotiate. It usually works.

over a year ago

Thank you all.

About the insurance the third post after my OP, you are spot on. We saved, not joking a couple of hundred pounds on our car going with SAGA and fixed for three years subject to no claims/points on licene etc. Also got quote for building and contents ins, will save about 70 for both.

I'm not telling anyone how to live their lives but try never to go to overdrafts etc as its money down the drain

Re Xmas presents etc, we just do the children and grand children and they are aware of our situation and we all agreed that for the older kids its a bit of money to put towards something big they may be wanting later and the little grandkids, they enjoy simple presents and the youngest is more interested in the packaging

TBH, we are lucky as i have said in the OP, like most never had a penny from anyone other than the usal presents from parents etc but they taught us never to borrow for anything other than buying a house and this has worked well for us.

We are old but there are older frailer people who may live in big property or very old places that are diffuclt to keep warm and sadly it may be a blaance between eating and heating

For us, we have a very big suv costs a bomb to run and with 2ndhand car prices shooting up of certain models and ours is one of them, we have thought about selling the suv, pocketing a few k's and buying a 3/4 year old ford focus they are nice cars and cheap to run/look after etc

Good luck all and lets all hope that winter is not a very long and cold one and we keep this covid under control

over a year ago

JP

Thanks re pt jobs. Its a long post my op I have touched on it re pt work as it will be tax free for me but my wife it will be NI free as well - we both or i will do a couple of days a mid week nothing weekdns never worked weekends and could easily up out income by about 150 a week for two days work - and then possibly jack it in after a few months, thanks

where we live, jobs, in certain sectors they are begging for agency workers, so may just do that

Post new Message to Thread