Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

John Peel...Music Hero..

Jump to newest

By *ooo wet tight horny OP   Woman
over a year ago

lancashire

Hey...So how many remember John Peel and also enjoyed listening to him on the radio? and also of course when he was at Glastonbury Festival going on walk about to experience the weird and wonderful RIP John Peel..Glastonbury on BBC2 just is not the same with out you! His son Tom Ravenscroft is also a DJ on BBC radio 6...I enjoy listening to his choice of music too, just like I did his Dads, I'm listening to him right now. Does any one else enjoy tuning in to him?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I did not know that Tom Ravenscroft was his son! Love Radio 6 and they always feature Peel sessions, but the original was before my time unfortunately.

By *olarbear73Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Legend, pure and simple.

I found a Frank Black / Teenage Fanclub session on YT last week that I never heard before. Awesome!

By *olarbear73Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

What is the one single track that you heard on John Peel that you will never forget, that you go back to over and over?

over a year ago

Very suspect private life

over a year ago

lancashire

Yes he was and still is a legend He did make me laugh when he played a way out there tune then when it finished he always said...'well there we have it..not sure where I got that one from'...what a guy, and he introduced us all to The Undertones and their top tune..'Teenage Kicks'..

*John Robert Parker Ravenscroft..Aka..John Peel*

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"What is the one single track that you heard on John Peel that you will never forget, that you go back to over and over? "

anything by Half Man Half Biscuit

By *olex99Man
over a year ago

Hull

Ah but he loved Half man half biscuit.

over a year ago

lancashire

"What is the one single track that you heard on John Peel that you will never forget, that you go back to over and over? "

Oh quite a few...but the one that stands out right now is 'teenage Kicks' by The Undertones

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

One of those people who i can remember exactly where and when i heard he'd died

Without doubt, the most important single person in western music. You never knew what you'd hear next from him- the weird, the wonderful, the WTF? but always interesting...and his voice has a magical calming tone.

Think he'd be a massive fan and and very proud of Ravers, who has taken on the torch from his dad and continued with his own style, but a familiar DNA

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

He mimed mandolin on Maggie May, on telly too.

over a year ago

I actually didn't like much of the music he played but he was a great broadcaster. He lived and is buried in a small village not far from me, a quote from teenage kicks is on his headstone.

By *olarbear73Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"What is the one single track that you heard on John Peel that you will never forget, that you go back to over and over?

Oh quite a few...but the one that stands out right now is 'teenage Kicks' by The Undertones "

Yeah his funeral song…

Mine was from the 1991 Festive Fifty..

Bang Bang Machine - Geek Love

By *olex99Man
over a year ago

Hull

"What is the one single track that you heard on John Peel that you will never forget, that you go back to over and over?

Oh quite a few...but the one that stands out right now is 'teenage Kicks' by The Undertones

Yeah his funeral song…

"

Got the 2 12" of that. Tune!!!

By *olarbear73Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yeah his funeral song…

Got the 2 12" of that. Tune!!!"

Yup. To be fair the lot of the ‘91 festive 50 are tunes!

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I celebrate John Peel Day every year. I miss him very much.

I even rock my Right Time Wrong Speed T shirt with pride. I might pop it on my avatar!

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

As a kid I had to go to bed ridiculously early, 21:00 in my final year at school. I used to have a Robert’s radio with an ear piece, every night at 22:00 I’d switch the radio on and listen to John Peel, till I fell asleep. I heard a huge variety of music, some of which I still listen to now. He was a massive part of my childhood.

By *moothshaftMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Oh quite a few...but the one that stands out right now is 'teenage Kicks' by The Undertones "

I'm pretty sure he was the only DJ to play a song twice back to back, and that song was Teenage Kicks.

Brilliant DJ.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Apparantly after he died his family found boxes of all his finger and toe nail clippings in his attic.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

Really he was the only reason I listened to the radio... haven't bothered with much it since..still got loads of cassette tapes I compiled from tracks from his shows.. one song I remember was from the sewer zombies...they died with there Willie Nelson t shirts on... which is on one of those tapes that I have..

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Atmosphere - Joy Division

over a year ago

lancashire

"One of those people who i can remember exactly where and when i heard he'd died

Without doubt, the most important single person in western music. You never knew what you'd hear next from him- the weird, the wonderful, the WTF? but always interesting...and his voice has a magical calming tone.

Think he'd be a massive fan and and very proud of Ravers, who has taken on the torch from his dad and continued with his own style, but a familiar DNA "

I agree with all you have said about John Peel

over a year ago

"Hey...So how many remember John Peel and also enjoyed listening to him on the radio? and also of course when he was at Glastonbury Festival going on walk about to experience the weird and wonderful RIP John Peel..Glastonbury on BBC2 just is not the same with out you! His son Tom Ravenscroft is also a DJ on BBC radio 6...I enjoy listening to his choice of music too, just like I did his Dads, I'm listening to him right now. Does any one else enjoy tuning in to him? "

yep I used to listen to John Peel on the radio, I listen to bbc radio 6 music and no ididn't realise Tom was John's son

over a year ago

"One of those people who i can remember exactly where and when i heard he'd died

Think he'd be a massive fan and and very proud of Ravers, who has taken on the torch from his dad and continued with his own style, but a familiar DNA

I agree with all you have said about John Peel "

YNWA

over a year ago

Wasn't he rumoured to be a suspected paedophile?

I thought I heard that not long after he died and then he didn't seem to get alot of mentions around music anymore but in the last few years his name seems to be widely shared again.

Have I just got mixed up or was as this just brushed over or was it all discredited and he was one of the good guys?

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"As a kid I had to go to bed ridiculously early, 21:00 in my final year at school. I used to have a Robert’s radio with an ear piece, every night at 22:00 I’d switch the radio on and listen to John Peel, till I fell asleep. I heard a huge variety of music, some of which I still listen to now. He was a massive part of my childhood. "

i used to secretly tune in every monday to thursday night when i was meant to be asleep and listen with one of theose old in-ear things. set the radio to sleep at five past midnight. i was also a keen listener of 'the friday rock show with tommy vance' too.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Wasn't he rumoured to be a suspected paedophile?

"

From what i remember, it was around the time that Saville was finally exposed (possibly one of the worst kept secrets and undeniably covered up by the various powers...but thats another story)- but the press were keen to point the finger wherever they could to detract from their own shoddiness.

Reputedly, he had a relationship with a 16 year old when in his early 20's but it was quickly twisted in to he was some sort or sexual predator, despite it being around the time of 60's free love hippiedom and apparently a consensual relationship over several months.

To sum up, never trust the British tabloid trash to ever report the truth correctly- even when they hack somebody’s phone to get the facts

By *olex99Man
over a year ago

Hull

Tell me the name of any rock band from the 60's, 70's or 80's that ever asked for a birth certificate first

Post new Message to Thread