Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Vegetarian Pets

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Talk that those that feed their dogs as vegans could be prosecuted...the law says that dogs should be fed a suitable diet and some animal charities disagree with vegan diets for dogs .. According to reports

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I think Paul and Linda McCartney fed their dogs a vegetarian diet back in their day.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I think Paul and Linda McCartney fed their dogs a vegetarian diet back in their day."

Possibly prosecuted today

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I only feed my pooch Beluga Caviar and the finest truffles, wot wot.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I dont know that dogs care that much, they are scavengers at heart aren't they. Mine wont touch lettuce or tomatoes but pretty much anything else is fair game.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I dont know that dogs care that much, they are scavengers at heart aren't they. Mine wont touch lettuce or tomatoes but pretty much anything else is fair game. "

Even better if it is 'acquired' rather than given

over a year ago

My mates collie lived till he was 17 fed him vegetarian dog food

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I dont know that dogs care that much, they are scavengers at heart aren't they. Mine wont touch lettuce or tomatoes but pretty much anything else is fair game. "

Carnivorous scavengers. Adapted to survive (but not thrive) on human scraps. Dogs generally eat stuff they shouldn't because they will either sense something missing from their dietary needs OR as is the case with lots of processed foods it is packed full of additives the appear appealing but are not healthy for dogs.

Everything about a dogs anatomy, dietary needs and ancestry screams carnivore.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

My cats definitely aren’t vegetarian. They would have said so. And they wouldn’t eat mice every morning if they were

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"My cats definitely aren’t vegetarian. They would have said so. And they wouldn’t eat mice every morning if they were "

Dogs do "better on vegi diet than cats. Cats simply do not live a healthy life on anything but a meat based diet as they can only gain certain required amino acids from meat based diets.

over a year ago

"I dont know that dogs care that much, they are scavengers at heart aren't they. Mine wont touch lettuce or tomatoes but pretty much anything else is fair game.

Even better if it is 'acquired' rather than given "

Absolutely yes

over a year ago

"I dont know that dogs care that much, they are scavengers at heart aren't they. Mine wont touch lettuce or tomatoes but pretty much anything else is fair game.

Carnivorous scavengers. Adapted to survive (but not thrive) on human scraps. Dogs generally eat stuff they shouldn't because they will either sense something missing from their dietary needs OR as is the case with lots of processed foods it is packed full of additives the appear appealing but are not healthy for dogs.

Everything about a dogs anatomy, dietary needs and ancestry screams carnivore. "

With a side of cheese and biscuits

over a year ago

One of my dog’s favourite snacks is red pepper. As soon as he hears chopping sounds in the kitchen, he’s all over it.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

mothers dog loved celery

but it got a proper diet too.

Guess we should listen to what the vets tell us is proper nutrition for them or risk their health, and avoid getting into trouble.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"mothers dog loved celery

but it got a proper diet too.

Guess we should listen to what the vets tell us is proper nutrition for them or risk their health, and avoid getting into trouble."

Please don't listen to vets on nutrition. Health issues yes but Nutrition is a very brief and small part of a vets training, basic knowledge is learned, dogs and cats are not their only patients. An animal nutritionist will be able to tell you much better what diet your dog needs in combination with health details from a vet.

I have respect for vets and what they do.

over a year ago

"I think Paul and Linda McCartney fed their dogs a vegetarian diet back in their day.

Possibly prosecuted today "

Live and Let Diet

over a year ago

With a side of cheese and biscuits "

My little terrier would live on cheese and biscuits if I allowed her - she’s addicted to cheese.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

I think people can choose to follow whatever diet they like, but we have a duty of care towards animals to feed them an appropriate diet. Dogs are not supposed to be veggy or vegan.

Flip it round, would you think it appropriate to feed a horse/cow/sheep, meat?

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

My little terrier would live on cheese and biscuits if I allowed her - she’s addicted to cheese. "

Cheese was perfect for hiding medication in with my terriers.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

My little terrier would live on cheese and biscuits if I allowed her - she’s addicted to cheese.

Cheese was perfect for hiding medication in with my terriers."

Squeeze cheese proved the key to my jrt x recall.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Thank the gods I have a tortoise and a horse.

Happiness tip; when extremely down feed your tortoise a tomato, if you are lucky they will eat half way into it and then in exuberance, thrust themselves further into the tomato which usually means it ends up on their head like a helmet. It’s truly comedy gold. Firstly because they look like a motorcyclist and secondly because they start looking for the tomato. Remember it’s not cruel, it’s comedy.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Squeeze cheese proved the key to my jrt x recall. "

Is jrt Jack Russell terriers ?

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Thank the gods I have a tortoise and a horse.

Happiness tip; when extremely down feed your tortoise a tomato, if you are lucky they will eat half way into it and then in exuberance, thrust themselves further into the tomato which usually means it ends up on their head like a helmet. It’s truly comedy gold. Firstly because they look like a motorcyclist and secondly because they start looking for the tomato. Remember it’s not cruel, it’s comedy. "

Oh, a whole tomato ? We always gave ours chopped up stuff. Not as entertaining

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

Squeeze cheese proved the key to my jrt x recall.

Is jrt Jack Russell terriers ?"

Yes, his mum was a jrt, his dad a pug x French bulldog, but he mostly looks like a Jack. Be a useless ratter though, he gets in the guinea pig pen to cuddle up with them

over a year ago

With a side of cheese and biscuits "

Dogs are dairy intolerant

Missy x

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

Missy x"

Most mammals are lactose intolerant, to varying degrees. Hedgehogs should never be given cows milk, as it gives them diarrhoea and can lead to death.

Dogs can handle it better and a few bits of cheese won't hurt.

over a year ago

our dog is on a see food diet .... he see it and he will eat it ... veggi meat no probs

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Missy x

Most mammals are lactose intolerant, to varying degrees. Hedgehogs should never be given cows milk, as it gives them diarrhoea and can lead to death.

Dogs can handle it better and a few bits of cheese won't hurt. "

Cats shouldn't be given cow's milk either

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

Missy x

Dogs can handle it better and a few bits of cheese won't hurt.

Cats shouldn't be given cow's milk either"

no mammals should really, but some cats can have small amounts without issue, others it'll give them diarrhoea pretty fast. Had a litter of kittens to handrear that a lady had found and tried to feed herself, unfortunately she used cows milk, and didn't hand them over till they were really bloody poorly, lost 2 out the 5.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Has anyone tried a sausage on a rabbit?

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I think Paul and Linda McCartney fed their dogs a vegetarian diet back in their day."

Thankfully I don't base my life choices on what "celebrities" do.

over a year ago

Missy x"

It's a cruel twist of fate that doggo's can eat things long since dead, their own and others shit and unidentifiable drain slime and survive but the nose of a delicious piece of cheddar will upset them. more cheese for me at least.

over a year ago

Happiness tip; when extremely down feed your tortoise a tomato, if you are lucky they will eat half way into it and then in exuberance, thrust themselves further into the tomato which usually means it ends up on their head like a helmet. It’s truly comedy gold. Firstly because they look like a motorcyclist and secondly because they start looking for the tomato. Remember it’s not cruel, it’s comedy. "

This I need to see

over a year ago

I will add to this, do not, i repeat DO NOT stand next to your tortoise with painted toenails after he has had a taste of said tomato.... it is a painful lesson i have learned a few times....

And dont stand near your horse with your lunch either! All of mine are greedy thieves who will steal whatever i have in my hand!

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Then wrote a song

Mutt on Samphire ..

Post new Message to Thread