Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Songs which rip off other songs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Listening to the radio today I realised that Paul Weller's blistering ChangingMan is a carbon copy of ELO's 10538 Overture from 1971.

What other records have 'borrowed' heavily from previous tunes, and did they get away with it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Listening to the radio today I realised that Paul Weller's blistering ChangingMan is a carbon copy of ELO's 10538 Overture from 1971.

What other records have 'borrowed' heavily from previous tunes, and did they get away with it ?"

ELO just copied Sgt Pepper album

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Quite recently, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were sued by Marvin Gaye’s surviving family after they cited the hit song, Blurred Lines as being stolen from Gaye’s earlier hit, Got To Give It Up.

Mind you, Thicke is in trouble for other reasons to now…..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Loaded = Sympathy For The Devil

over a year ago

"Quite recently, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were sued by Marvin Gaye’s surviving family after they cited the hit song, Blurred Lines as being stolen from Gaye’s earlier hit, Got To Give It Up.

Mind you, Thicke is in trouble for other reasons to now….."

I think Gaye's family won, or was it overturned later?

over a year ago

Kid rock was good at this

American badass ripped off the metallica sad but true tune and all summer long ripped off sweet home alabama tune.

over a year ago

"Loaded = Sympathy For The Devil"

Yes ! Andy Weatherall putting his sampling experience to good use there perhaps...

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Another one: Coldplay’s single, Viva La Vida.

The guitar god that is Joe Satriani felt this had been ripped off, sans his consent, from his track, ‘If I Could Fly.’

Sadly, the courts did not see the similarities it seems and the case was thrown out.

Coldplay strongly denied any plagiarism but a from a more recent quote from Chris Martin, he admitted that the band HAVE been shall we say, ‘heavily inspired’ by some other artists work….

over a year ago

I could mention Oasis but that would probably fill the thread, naughty Noel

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Bitter Sweet Symphony needs no introduction. It is an undisputed classic from The Verve with an equally memorable music video. The song, written by Richard Ashcroft and released back in 1997, sampled a symphonic version of The Last Time by The Rolling Stones, recorded by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra in 1965.

The Verve had originally agreed to sample a five-note segment of the recording in exchange for an even split of the royalties, however that was until Allen Klein stepped in. Klein was a ruthless businessman, music publisher and record label exec who at one point managed both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones simultaneously. It is safe to say he was at the top of the game.

Klein claimed that The Verve voided the agreement by using a larger section of the 1965 recording than the parties had agreed. His holding company, ABKCO Records, then took legal action against the North West heroes on behalf of himself, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

In the end, The Verve had to give up the songwriting royalties and publishing rights which in turn vested in ABKCO Records, with Jagger and Richards picking up the songwriting credit.

To make matters worse, Andrew Loog Oldham (what a strange middle name), the owner of the recording, joined in on the fun and sued The Verve for a cool $1.7 million. The band ended up losing all control over their magnum opus. Adding insult to injury, the song was even nominated for a Grammy but it was not The Verve who were named on the ballot, but rather Jagger and Richards. Ashcroft (who looks suspiciously like Mick Jagger) revealed years later that he was still crushed by the outcome.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Quite recently, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were sued by Marvin Gaye’s surviving family after they cited the hit song, Blurred Lines as being stolen from Gaye’s earlier hit, Got To Give It Up.

Mind you, Thicke is in trouble for other reasons to now…..

I think Gaye's family won, or was it overturned later?"

As I recall, both Thicke and Williams were found guilty whilst TI (the rapper) was acquitted as the rap portion was deemed completely original.

As regards legal payments, I sadly know not the outcome though - it may have been arranged quietly.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

June 8, 2020, By Alex Fewtrell

over a year ago

I think Jagger and Richards agreed to return part of the rights to Ashcroft a couple of years back? Possibly after Allen Klein's death.

over a year ago

"Kid rock was good at this

American badass ripped off the metallica sad but true tune and all summer long ripped off sweet home alabama tune. "

I'd assumed the Sweet Home Alabama one was a deliberate nod to the original? Not sure if the rights were ever split.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Creep, by Radiohead, borrows heavily from “the air that I breathe”, and the writers of that song ended up being credited for Creep.

Great songs, both the original and the copy!

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Also of note, The Hollies sued Radiohead for their seminal hit, ‘Creep’ which they believed was stolen from, ‘The Air That I Breath.’

It seems Thom and the boys more or less admitted the influence at least and agreed to give the Hollies joint credit.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Creep, by Radiohead, borrows heavily from “the air that I breathe”, and the writers of that song ended up being credited for Creep.

Great songs, both the original and the copy! "

Snap! And both great songs indeed

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Mark Ronson has been sued a few times for plagiarism. Three separate times by three separate artists/bands in one year in fact(!)

over a year ago

Another Weller classic was The Jam's Start ripping off George Harrison's Taxman. And of course Harrison was successfully sued for taking My Sweet Lord from He's So Fine by the Chiffons.

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

The Pet Shop Boys It's a Sin borrowed from Cat Stevens Wild World.

Pretty sure there was legal action around it.

over a year ago

American badass ripped off the metallica sad but true tune and all summer long ripped off sweet home alabama tune.

I'd assumed the Sweet Home Alabama one was a deliberate nod to the original? Not sure if the rights were ever split."

Could well have done I just know that both tunes heavily used the originals tunes.

over a year ago

Led Zepplins entire catalogue

over a year ago

Sam Smith was ordered to pay royalties to Tom Petty for the similarities of his song Stay with me with Pettys I won't back down.

Apparently Tom Petty was cool with it and beared no hard feelings but Smith states he never agreed with the ruling.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Paul McCartney, who wrote this song, took the expression "ob-la-di, ob-la-da" from his friend Jimmy Scott (a member of Obla Di Obla Da Band). McCartney said, "He got annoyed when I did a song of it, 'cause he wanted a cut." Later McCartney exchanged Jimmy Scott's rights to the title for paying a bail for him, when Scott was jailed.

In the third chorus after Paul McCartney sings the word "hand" the other Beatles shout "arm" and "leg".

John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison never liked this song and didn't allow it to be released as a single in the UK, as Paul McCartney wanted.

over a year ago

Queens Under Pressure was clearly ripped off in Vanilla Ice's classic tune( ) Ice Ice Baby (which he denied). The courts ruled in favour of Queen, resulting in a double insult when they had to be credited on Vanilla's 'music'

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

Every artists are influenced by someone! So technically all rip offs. Hahaha

over a year ago

Some good ones here:

https://youtu.be/x5ZZvS2gy_I

over a year ago

Puff Daddy totally ripped off STING with his " I'll be missing you " which of course used the music from " Everybreath you take "..Sting pocketed $8 Million from it ..( STING gets £2000 a day in royalties a day from Everybreath you take too ..nice touch .)

over a year ago

"Puff Daddy totally ripped off STING with his " I'll be missing you " which of course used the music from " Everybreath you take "..Sting pocketed $8 Million from it ..( STING gets £2000 a day in royalties a day from Everybreath you take too ..nice touch .)"

That reminds me...compare Walking on the Moon by Police with Whitey on the Moon by Gil Scott Heron recorded in the early 70s.

over a year ago

"Every artists are influenced by someone! So technically all rip offs. Hahaha "

Its a fair point, especially in rock and pop which are quite simple musical forms.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Queens Under Pressure was clearly ripped off in Vanilla Ice's classic tune( ) Ice Ice Baby (which he denied). The courts ruled in favour of Queen, resulting in a double insult when they had to be credited on Vanilla's 'music'

"

Brilliant!

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Every artists are influenced by someone! So technically all rip offs. Hahaha

Its a fair point, especially in rock and pop which are quite simple musical forms."

So true! Even the 60's groups who were very influenced by Rhythm & Blues and Led Zep and the Stones started off as a covers band, Well most of the mersybeat groups.

over a year ago

"That reminds me...compare Walking on the Moon by Police with Whitey on the Moon by Gil Scott Heron recorded in the early 70s."

Bloody hell

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

American badass ripped off the metallica sad but true tune and all summer long ripped off sweet home alabama tune. "

All summer long used elements of both "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolf in London" but that wasn't a "Rip Off" of the tunes, but a licensed "sampling" of them... As was the use of Sad But True.

Cal

over a year ago

All summer long used elements of both "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolf in London" but that wasn't a "Rip Off" of the tunes, but a licensed "sampling" of them... As was the use of Sad But True.

Cal"

Sampling has opened up a whole new can of worms about originality and copyright.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

Sampling has opened up a whole new can of worms about originality and copyright. "

Not really, the original artist (and Writers) has to be paid for the use of samples from their songs or at least be given specific permissions by the owner of the rights. You're not allowed to just use someone else's material without permission. Most recordings in the charts that cover or sample other artists tunes make more money for the original artist than they do for the contemporary artist... what they do get from it though is the exposure of a massive hit to build their fanbase.

Songs that really were a rip off of others though include Oasis Cigarettes and Alcohol (T-Rex Bang a Gong), Oasis - Shaker Maker (I'd Like to teach the world to sing)

Cal

over a year ago

And werewolf of london

over a year ago

"Led Zepplins entire catalogue"

Definitely!! Page loved Bert Jansch and "Black Mountain Side” takes its roots from “Down by Blackwaterside,” and “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” is a definite copy of Jansch’s “The Waggoner’s Lad.” 

over a year ago

Diana Vickers, My Wicked Heart... RHCP, Under the Bridge

By *8365coupleCouple
over a year ago

Thetford

Start by The Jam

borrows a lot from

Taxman by the Beatles

Both great tunes, of course

over a year ago

"Led Zepplins entire catalogue

Definitely!! Page loved Bert Jansch and "Black Mountain Side” takes its roots from “Down by Blackwaterside,” and “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” is a definite copy of Jansch’s “The Waggoner’s Lad.” "

Not sure why Jansch never sued, he must have lost out on millions, his descendants also.

over a year ago

And werewolf of london"

Warren Zevon ?

over a year ago

"Mark Ronson has been sued a few times for plagiarism. Three separate times by three separate artists/bands in one year in fact(!)

"

Uptown Funk had to add writer credits due to influence of Gap Band's Ooops upside your Head.

By *ecky and justCouple
over a year ago

Godalming

Everything by Oasis.

over a year ago

"Everything by Oasis. "

Some Might Say

over a year ago

And werewolf of london"

yep, that's why all the writers of Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London are credited as writers on All Summer Long - or maybe it isn't really a rip off if it acknowledges the original tracks and credits the writers and pays royalties. Oh, and he has performed it live with Lynyrd Skynyrd so they don't seem to mind.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Everything by Oasis.

Some Might Say "

cryin my heart out here!

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Bitter Sweet Symphony needs no introduction. It is an undisputed classic from The Verve with an equally memorable music video. The song, written by Richard Ashcroft and released back in 1997, sampled a symphonic version of The Last Time by The Rolling Stones, recorded by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra in 1965.

The Verve had originally agreed to sample a five-note segment of the recording in exchange for an even split of the royalties, however that was until Allen Klein stepped in. Klein was a ruthless businessman, music publisher and record label exec who at one point managed both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones simultaneously. It is safe to say he was at the top of the game.

Klein claimed that The Verve voided the agreement by using a larger section of the 1965 recording than the parties had agreed. His holding company, ABKCO Records, then took legal action against the North West heroes on behalf of himself, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

In the end, The Verve had to give up the songwriting royalties and publishing rights which in turn vested in ABKCO Records, with Jagger and Richards picking up the songwriting credit.

To make matters worse, Andrew Loog Oldham (what a strange middle name), the owner of the recording, joined in on the fun and sued The Verve for a cool $1.7 million. The band ended up losing all control over their magnum opus. Adding insult to injury, the song was even nominated for a Grammy but it was not The Verve who were named on the ballot, but rather Jagger and Richards. Ashcroft (who looks suspiciously like Mick Jagger) revealed years later that he was still crushed by the outcome."

Right to feel crushed. Bitter Sweet is a great song

over a year ago

"Everything by Oasis.

Some Might Say

cryin my heart out here!"

Whatever

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Everything by Oasis.

Some Might Say

cryin my heart out here!

Whatever "

Just roll with it

over a year ago

Very recently Paramore have been given a writers credit on Olivia Rodrigo's Good 4 u as it's so similar.

over a year ago

"Everything by Oasis.

Some Might Say

cryin my heart out here!

Whatever

Just roll with it"

over a year ago

"The Pet Shop Boys It's a Sin borrowed from Cat Stevens Wild World.

Pretty sure there was legal action around it."

I checked and it was Jonathan King who accused them of it and he actually had to pay them damages !

Post new Message to Thread