Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Champix

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone tried it ?

My colleague has been provided with a supply to help aid stopping smoking but having read some of the potential side effects, she is a little worried about it, especially the ones that are said to increase anxiety and panic and the ones that can cause hallucinations.

Anyone had a good (or bad) experience with it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I packed in using Champix...very few side effects for me, first coupla weeks a wee bit of insomnia, but very lucid dreams (the wet ones were a nice side effect!) I'd been off the fags for just under 2 years but the last month or so, I've been bumming the odd half fag at parties/nights out when I've had one or two schooners of dry sherry...rest of the time, doesn't bother me...My kid sister also packed in on Champix over 3 years agao and had very few side effects which is what encouraged me to give them a go...not sure if anyone could tell the difference if I did go mental off tablets anyway to be fair

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Same as any drug, in that the side effects are different for each individual.

I have had reports though that they can be quite severe for certain people. Not sure I would fancy them with all the other choices on the market.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have tried it, didn't do well and had lots of side effects, the same when I tried Zyban.

Will work for some, but not for me.

I know doctors are very reluctant to give out prescriptions for it.

By *ngelsdevilWoman
over a year ago

Merseyside

I tried it and after 3 weeks id stopped smoking altogether but the nausea affected me so badly that I had to stop the tablets too, other than nausea and occasional bleeding gums I didn't get other side affects. Foolishly through temptation and lack of will power I started smoking 9 months later! Due to how sick I was I wouldn't go back on the chamois but I got myself an E-cig and although your still addicted to the nicotine you don't get any of the nasty stuff they put in cigarettes nor the nasty smell of cigarette smoke, taste in the mouth or anything! Plus I don't need the ecig constantly so if I'm going on a meet where the person doesn't smoke I am a none smoker completely! If the person smokes which I don't mind I can take my ecig along!

By *ngelsdevilWoman
over a year ago

Merseyside

Chamois?! Goats?!

Oh dear autocorrect!

over a year ago

It works well but the side effects hould be headed ... good stop smoking facilities will do regular reviews with ou when on champix and they really should be attended to keep an eye out for side effects.

By *he Reliability FactorMan
over a year ago

near oxford

I used Champex worked for me gave up on day 6 and quit the tablets on week 6 as making me feel really sick early am.. no weird paranoia hallucinations or weird dreams etc!! though did have weird dreams when tried patches years ago !!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Prefer Asti Spumante.....

over a year ago

side effects vary from person to person but the ones i had were very difficult to deal with and i was a complete nightmare. i went back to smoking in the end

over a year ago

I was really luck with them first time around, no side effects at all! couldn't believe me luck and stopped smoking for a whole year

Second time I tried them, full o' confidence, they made me feel really vomitty all day had to stop taking them and was gutted!

Still to try third time but been contemplating it for a few weeks now

over a year ago

My friend gave up smokingwhilst on them and she was okay.

I actually went to docs today and she said im too unstable already so best not take them

over a year ago

Stopped smoking with the champix, I ate a very high fibre breakfast i didnt feel sick... done the whole 3 month course and no other side effects...

Havent smoked now for nearly 18 months...

over a year ago

Worked great for me I was only on it for 6 weeks, four of which were smoke free, but I started smoking again a year later, just one won't hurt I thought then two, then back to old habits.

Going back to the doc in the next couple of weeks to see if I can get some more.

over a year ago

Only side effect I had were wicked dreams, most would call them nightmares but I love horror and dreaming a very realistic zombie invasion was nuts, lol.

By *bend69Couple
over a year ago

twinkletown

"Only side effect I had were wicked dreams, most would call them nightmares but I love horror and dreaming a very realistic zombie invasion was nuts, lol. "

yeh same here dreams were very grime! death or killing night sweats too....and very tired during the day . they work ok but started smoking againg within 7 weeks .

over a year ago

Both Champix and zyban are conta indicated if you currently take anti depressants or have a history of depression or other psychiatric problems. Most GP's are very careful about who the prescribe to. Hope that is helpful Bussy. X

over a year ago

for me personally they did help with the craving for smoking but i did have bad side effect of headaches and strong stomach cramps and slight depression... as the cramps was unbearable i took myself off champix and went back to the gp, on attending he also informed me it was the best thing to do as they didnt agree with me, and he also stated that they can give suisidal tendances ( but not eveyone)i am glad i stopped the tablets but gutted i still smoke...however it did take 3 months for the cramps to stop

but like some have stated above everybodys system is diff, not everyone gets side effects.....but always consult your gp for best advice

goodluck to all who try xx

By *illow PimpMan
over a year ago

Midlothian

Went 10 months on the inhalers and chewing gum was doing great then they stopped my free prescription so went to docs for chamix, after i stopped course within a week i was back on rolly's again. Might have another bash

over a year ago

never used it myself but i know quite a few who have, all have said it was very good and ive not hear anyone say they suffered any side effects

It does make ylou violently sick tho if you do have a sneaky fag while taking it

over a year ago

I stopped a while ago using champix, no side effects at all. Wasn't easy but certainly much easier then I thought it would be

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

it stopped me smokeing 30 a day for 30 years gave me a bit of blood pressure

over a year ago

"I have tried it, didn't do well and had lots of side effects, the same when I tried Zyban.

Will work for some, but not for me.

I know doctors are very reluctant to give out prescriptions for it.

"

I tried Zyban when it first hit the market and was hailed as the silver bullet for those wanting to quit.

Initially I was fine but after 5 days I actually lost my vision! Two days after stopping taking it my eyes were back to normal and I was back to smoking 20 a day!

I've just quit again using nothing but patches, gum, spray and inhaler. Sometimes though I could murder a smoke.

Post new Message to Thread