Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Energy efficient cars

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

As everything seems to be about energy efficiency nowadays and I am sat in my works van. Isn’t it time someone created a car with insulation in it?

I can understand why people just leave their car idling, as it takes ages to de mist the windscreen and heat up the interior. As soon as I got to work I turned the engine off and it’s taken only a matter of minutes for the interior to get cold.

Surely this is one of the massive contributors to global warming, just people trying to stay warm?

Ironic really.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Wear a coat?! Lol

I hate having to sit in my car waiting for the windscreen to defrost.

Never really though about insulation in cars but it makes sense!

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Wear a coat?! Lol

Never really though about insulation in cars but it makes sense! "

Yeah but being Tommy ten layers isn’t practical as you can hardly move your arms

Its just one of those things I have never understood. I know it’s mainly about weight, but surely the main place where heat is lost is through the glass, isnt it time they sorted that problem out?

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"Wear a coat?! Lol

Never really though about insulation in cars but it makes sense!

Yeah but being Tommy ten layers isn’t practical as you can hardly move your arms

Its just one of those things I have never understood. I know it’s mainly about weight, but surely the main place where heat is lost is through the glass, isnt it time they sorted that problem out?"

The glass needs to shatter on impact to avoid serious injuries so making it more insulated might take away some of that. I know little on this subject but just a suggestion as to why they can't increase it's insulation properties

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"As everything seems to be about energy efficiency nowadays and I am sat in my works van. Isn’t it time someone created a car with insulation in it?

I can understand why people just leave their car idling, as it takes ages to de mist the windscreen and heat up the interior. As soon as I got to work I turned the engine off and it’s taken only a matter of minutes for the interior to get cold.

Surely this is one of the massive contributors to global warming, just people trying to stay warm?

Ironic really. "

I would guess that the amount of energy people use sitting in cars idling is tiny compared to the extra energy that would be used transporting all the extra insulation weight around. I get that van people might spend quite a bit of time idling but that is a fairly special use case compared to most people.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its the metal in your van, will always suck up heat from inside, youll be driving hybrid or electic vans soon enough anyway.

I warm my car from my phone before i get in, and it uses the electric to heat it up without the engine running, love it!

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"Its the metal in your van, will always suck up heat from inside, youll be driving hybrid or electic vans soon enough anyway.

I warm my car from my phone before i get in, and it uses the electric to heat it up without the engine running, love it!

"

That bit of battery power used to heat up your car will reduce the range available to you?

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Get a 12v heater installed.

There are other methods available like exhaust and block heaters but these run into big money.

Unfortunately your sitting in a cell of metal, glass and plastic.

Two of which are susceptible to temperature change the other is a magnifier and insulator.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Its the metal in your van, will always suck up heat from inside, youll be driving hybrid or electic vans soon enough anyway.

That bit of battery power used to heat up your car will reduce the range available to you?"

In the latest fully electric cars, hardly anything noticeable. Lots are not fitted with heat pumps which improves efficiency a lot.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"As everything seems to be about energy efficiency nowadays and I am sat in my works van. Isn’t it time someone created a car with insulation in it?

Ironic really. "

No bevatze the heating on a car is the heat from the engine, so it’s just a byproduct of the engine working. Using it to heat the inside is actually already as efficient as your could get it and there’s no need to insulate the vehicle as that would most likely make it a less efficient vehicle

By *iscreet-is-paramountMan
over a year ago

somewhere only we know.

Cars in Scandinavian countries have insulated panels and also a flask reservoir for stored heat. Although, you can get pluggy in things to preheat the engine and matrix so when you jump in, it's ready to go. Some out there will have german cars with night burners in them, like ford galaxies and sharrans.

Post new Message to Thread