Back to The Lounge

Triathlon swingers

Jump to newest

By *tefe-Marty OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambs

Hi

I'm laid up after an op and very bored

So thought i would see how many of you are into triathlon.

What distance are you into

Sprint

Olympic

I'm training for Switzerland next year 140.6 been put off for two years so hopefully 3rd times a charm

Any training or racing tips or hacks welcome

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've never done one before but I've booked onto an Olympic distance event next June and a 70.3 in July.

over a year ago

Cambs

Have you been to any events etc

watch out it gets very addictive and very expensive trust me ask my better half

over a year ago

"Have you been to any events etc

watch out it gets very addictive and very expensive trust me ask my better half "

I've done lots of running events and I've done an aquathlon but that's it. Probably bitten off more than I can chew!

over a year ago

Cambs

If you don't try you never know so why not go big

Just make sure you get a good bike fit, are you using tri bars

over a year ago

"If you don't try you never know so why not go big

Just make sure you get a good bike fit, are you using tri bars"

Erm... No, haha! Haven't been on a bike since last summer. It's on my to do list.

over a year ago

Cambs

Ermm you really need to get on a bike then for your bums sake

Takes a little while for your thighs and soft tissue(yes that soft tissue female or male) to get used to being sat on for long rides.

Happy to offer any advice if you want

over a year ago

It's 8 months! Plenty of time

over a year ago

Cambs

Lol

And 56 miles is only 2 and half hours on a bike anyway

By *asilyled1Man
over a year ago

ogmore valley

Hi OP. I’m not into fitness really but I went to watch the Ironman in Tenby a few years ago and it was one of the best weekends I’ve been to. Absolutely inspirational and a hell of a crack too. The start when they played the Welsh national anthem and then thunderstruck kicked in was something I’ll always remember. Tip my hat to all you triathlon athletes

over a year ago

Cambs

The best part for me is everyone is so friendly and wants you to do your best

Never met a friendlier group of people, although saying that the washing machine at the start can be a little competitive lol

over a year ago

A couple of Olympic distances this year. Next year a half and full IM. Looking at Finland for the full distance. Eastbourne also has a decent non branded full distance event.

I live near to the IM Uk course and have cycled the full distance.

Swam Coniston IM distance a couple of months ago.

There are a couple of triathlon swingers out there, but we need more for post race entertainment!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Mr here.

I took part in triathlon for best part of 20 year's my first race was 1993.

Followed by many many more.

I only managed 5 ironman distance events mainly due to financial and time restraints or I would have done more.

Many assume that a half distance is only half as difficult as a full distance very wrong indeed.

My training advice would be swim alot your body can recover fairly quickly from swimming, run smart , running is physically the big one as it takes more out of you so injuries are often the cause of failure so train smart but don't neglect it.

Bike bike bike, it's all about the bike.

Stay safe train bright, clothing and lighting training on Tri bars puts you in a vulnerable position to take care.

Nutrition nutrition nutrition

Get your race nutrition sorted so you can eat and drink in race mode.

Don't forget regular sports massage and do plenty of core work and flexibility to help reduce injury.

But the single biggest piece of advice.

Don't overtrain.

Training for an Ironman isn't about being as fit as possible come race day, it's about being as fit as possible and actually being able to race rather than rock up fatigued and end up blowing up and taking months to recover.

Race day is the icing on the cake just starting is the biggest challenge ,so many things can poo poo race day so getting to the start line fit and injury free is the hardest part.

Good luck.

over a year ago

Cambs

"Mr here.

I only managed 5 ironman distance events mainly due to financial and time restraints or I would have done more.

Many assume that a half distance is only half as difficult as a full distance very wrong indeed.

My training advice would be swim alot your body can recover fairly quickly from swimming, run smart , running is physically the big one as it takes more out of you so injuries are often the cause of failure so train smart but don't neglect it.

Stay safe train bright, clothing and lighting training on Tri bars puts you in a vulnerable position to take care.

Don't forget regular sports massage and do plenty of core work and flexibility to help reduce injury.

Don't overtrain.

Training for an Ironman isn't about being as fit as possible come race day, it's about being as fit as possible and actually being able to race rather than rock up fatigued and end up blowing up and taking months to recover.

Race day is the icing on the cake just starting is the biggest challenge ,so many things can poo poo race day so getting to the start line fit and injury free is the hardest part.

Good luck.

"

You only managed 5 ironman

Don't put yourself down, finishing 1 is an achievement.

Once read about 3.8 percent of the world have run a marathon, less than 0.01 percent have finished an ironman.

You made a great point, race day should be enjoyed. You have worked so hard to get there, soak it all in this is what the pain persistence and struggle have been for.

If you don't mind me asking why did you stop?

over a year ago

Hmmm not sure if this is worth contributing but.

I enjoy MudRuns and while most are 12-14km I did one called Pain and Suffering once which involved a 13 mile course, then a 15km course then a 5km course to finish.

Was the only one I've ever thought about quitting as the pacing was really off and never once got into a stride.

over a year ago

Planning to do a Sprint next June then an Olympic later in the year if all goes well.

over a year ago

Completed an Olympic distance in Aug; quite a nice experience (super friendly competitors and crowd) but training takes up so much time.

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm planning on doing one. I've run a few marathons and looking for something different

By *ricoupleCouple
over a year ago

London

Pair of retired triathletes here (clue in our profile name) unfortunately retirements are due to injury rather than choice. Competed in all distances from sprint up to full distance 140.6.

We had a great time training and racing, now it’s all about the bike, road, gravel, audax and bike packing

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Doing an iron distance event next summer - not an Iron Man which are massively over priced because of the brand.

I've run marathons and ultras as events, done a few 100+ miles rides with friends and even swum 5k many years ago. Now just to put them all together. I was quite pleased a few weeks back after years of very very little swimming to be able to tick off a mile in the sea with no real issues except chafe from my wetsuit. Its a surf suit not a swim suit so hopefully that will be an easy fix.

Mr

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Mr here.

Don't overtrain.

Good luck.

Once read about 3.8 percent of the world have run a marathon, less than 0.01 percent have finished an ironman.

You made a great point, race day should be enjoyed. You have worked so hard to get there, soak it all in this is what the pain persistence and struggle have been for.

If you don't mind me asking why did you stop?"

Various injuries wear and tear a lifetime of multi sports and 30+ years in building trade.

Also time limitations.

And just the expense, triathlon is an expensive sport even just training let alone race costs.

over a year ago

Cambs

"Doing an iron distance event next summer - not an Iron Man which are massively over priced because of the brand.

I've run marathons and ultras as events, done a few 100+ miles rides with friends and even swum 5k many years ago. Now just to put them all together. I was quite pleased a few weeks back after years of very very little swimming to be able to tick off a mile in the sea with no real issues except chafe from my wetsuit. Its a surf suit not a swim suit so hopefully that will be an easy fix.

Mr"

It's the putting them all together that's the hard bit.

Have you tried a 2 or 3 hour bike, then try and run 5 k it hurts no matter what you do lol

It's worth it though to prove to yourself you can do it.

Couple of the favourite sayings I've picked up along the way

Embrace the suck

If at any point during an ironman you start to feel good, don't worry it will soon pass

Good luck with your event

over a year ago

Cambs

"Mr here.

Don't overtrain.

Good luck.

If you don't mind me asking why did you stop?

Various injuries wear and tear a lifetime of multi sports and 30+ years in building trade.

Also time limitations.

And just the expense, triathlon is an expensive sport even just training let alone race costs."

The expenses is huge once you get into it, people don't realise i thought at the start it's ok don't need to do or get that. Sort of creeps up on you until your already committed.

Swim

Bike .... run out of money

Lol

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Doing an iron distance event next summer - not an Iron Man which are massively over priced because of the brand.

Mr

It's the putting them all together that's the hard bit.

Have you tried a 2 or 3 hour bike, then try and run 5 k it hurts no matter what you do lol

It's worth it though to prove to yourself you can do it.

Couple of the favourite sayings I've picked up along the way

Embrace the suck

If at any point during an ironman you start to feel good, don't worry it will soon pass

Good luck with your event "

Thanks. I've done a few bike/run sessions in the past so know how it's gonna feel on the legs - once I've got past my main running event in Jan I'll start with the brick sessions.

Mr

By *racknellboy1971Man
over a year ago

Bracknell

Rubbish swimmer so only do island sports.

Did a 40k bike and 10k run dualthlon for a work thing the other year at Dorney Lake. Done a few 50/60 mile bike rides and ran the London marathon the other week

over a year ago

5 full Ironman

10 70.3

Raced World championships 70.3

Raced Team GB

Unfortunately age has caught up and been injured for nearly 3 years ??

over a year ago

Cambs

"5 full Ironman

10 70.3

Raced Team GB

Unfortunately age has caught up and been injured for nearly 3 years ??"

You must of seen the meme

If Sister Madonna Buder can finish an ironamn at 82, what's your excuse

By *rontRunMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

I’m training for a 70.3! Looking for people to practice transitions with!

over a year ago

"5 full Ironman

10 70.3

Raced Team GB

Unfortunately age has caught up and been injured for nearly 3 years ??

You must of seen the meme

If Sister Madonna Buder can finish an ironamn at 82, what's your excuse

"

I will return in 2024 for my 10 yr Ironman Austria appearance. Probably a little behind my 10:03 on the original

By *yspicysalsaCouple
over a year ago

London

Going to be doing my first triathlon this year, any recommendations on Tri shorts for women?

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I don't compete (just duathlons for me) but am a regular volunteer at local tri events, usually working transition but occasionally marshaling.

over a year ago

"Going to be doing my first triathlon this year, any recommendations on Tri shorts for women?"

Good luck! It depends on the distance, and if you will need to wee part way through! A 1 piece tri suit is often a better choice for the shorter distances.

Keeping to Standard/Olympic and Sprint, I've done almost 20 triathlons, never been interested in anything with more than about 13km or run in it though - I'm used to be OK at swimming, decent on the bike, and poor at running.

Post new Message to Thread