Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are Jobs Overrated?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Work ! What is it good for !?

Do you live to work or work to live ?

And if you're not working at the moment, would you like to or is it a relief ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I love my job but it is just a job. My career days are well behind me and my focus has very much changed.

I enjoy working and I love where I am currently working but I also love leaving it behind at the end of the day I don’t feel ready to give up working though.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Work to live sadly...

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Work to live but I’m lucky that I do love my job. If I didn’t have to work I’d still keep the business but have someone else run it. I worked bloody hard building it up! x

over a year ago

Who ever decided we work 5 days out of 7 ???

By *GentlemanMan
over a year ago

Worcestershire

Work is not a job for me, it’s part of my lifestyle. Since I changed my outlook to this, my life has stepped up to a higher more satisfying level.

By *usman 199Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Hi Leo. I work for my holidays abroad . Luckily no mortgage so spending money . Obviously bills and food but the leftover holiday fund .

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I work to survive I'm past retirement age but my pension is not good enough. Sorry to all you younger people get a good pension scheme

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I used to be very career minded and focused; I'm still in the same career(progressed a bit!) but I don't see it as the Most Important Thing In The World. As long as I can afford to go to Booths for Christmas food shopping, I'm happy.

I do love my job, perks etc and I'd be very sad if I didn't have it to be honest. I sometimes think about going into teaching/academia but the company I work for give me too many incentives to stay. And I'm too lazy to change career.

By *usman 199Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Work to live but I’m lucky that I do love my job. If I didn’t have to work I’d still keep the business but have someone else run it. I worked bloody hard building it up! x "
what do you do Nora if I being nosey tell me to mind my own business

over a year ago

"I love my job but it is just a job. My career days are well behind me and my focus has very much changed.

I enjoy working and I love where I am currently working but I also love leaving it behind at the end of the day I don’t feel ready to give up working though. "

That sounds like an ideal balance Babs

over a year ago

"Work to live sadly... "

Would you like to change job/career ?

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

If you love your job, you never work a day in your life

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Work to live but I’m lucky that I do love my job. If I didn’t have to work I’d still keep the business but have someone else run it. I worked bloody hard building it up! x what do you do Nora if I being nosey tell me to mind my own business "

Sorry lovely but I’m going to have to say mind your own business . In the nicest possible way

over a year ago

"Work to live but I’m lucky that I do love my job. If I didn’t have to work I’d still keep the business but have someone else run it. I worked bloody hard building it up! x "

I'm sure you take a lot of pride in that achievement, rightly so.

over a year ago

"Who ever decided we work 5 days out of 7 ???"

I work 7 out of 7

over a year ago

For the last couple of years I've worked virtually non stop due to the pandemic. I had 6 weeks off in the first lockdown and the odd day off. If I gave up work tomorrow I couldn't care less. How about you Leo?

over a year ago

I'm guilty of being a bit 'live to work' I get obsessive and am a bit of a workaholic (as anyone who's ever tried to make plans with me can confirm ). I'm trying hard to pull back though and do less working and more living!

over a year ago

I enjoy my 4 day working week, I have a few hobbies and no money worries..

I'm fortunate I know

over a year ago

We used to work more than that ! Be interesting to see if ideas about a 4 day week gain any traction.

over a year ago

If I could find a job I loved doing then it would definitely be "live to work". My last job I loved but I used to work in a solicitors and that was definitely "work to live". Now, I just want a job again but it's a job in itself trying to find one x

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I don’t work. Early retirement sort of. Can’t imagine now having to do something by order.

But I do look for things to keep myself occupied .

over a year ago

"Hi Leo. I work for my holidays abroad . Luckily no mortgage so spending money . Obviously bills and food but the leftover holiday fund . "

You are fortunate to be mortgage free but I'm sure you've worked very hard to reach that point.

over a year ago

"If you love your job, you never work a day in your life "

The ideal to aspire to, yes

over a year ago

"I used to be very career minded and focused; I'm still in the same career(progressed a bit!) but I don't see it as the Most Important Thing In The World. As long as I can afford to go to Booths for Christmas food shopping, I'm happy.

I do love my job, perks etc and I'd be very sad if I didn't have it to be honest. I sometimes think about going into teaching/academia but the company I work for give me too many incentives to stay. And I'm too lazy to change career. "

Perhaps teaching or academia for later in life? When you're as ancient as me, say

over a year ago

"For the last couple of years I've worked virtually non stop due to the pandemic. I had 6 weeks off in the first lockdown and the odd day off. If I gave up work tomorrow I couldn't care less. How about you Leo?"

Hi TD. I actually have the best job I've had in years and really enjoy going into work. Hasn't always been the case though so I can see both sides of the coin.

By *exy chill guyMan
over a year ago

London

If you can find a way to work for something you’re passionate about, or be passionate about what you do, then work is a pleasure

over a year ago

"For the last couple of years I've worked virtually non stop due to the pandemic. I had 6 weeks off in the first lockdown and the odd day off. If I gave up work tomorrow I couldn't care less. How about you Leo?

Hi TD. I actually have the best job I've had in years and really enjoy going into work. Hasn't always been the case though so I can see both sides of the coin."

That's good you have to be happy with what you do we spend a big chunk of our life doing it so it must be enjoyable. I've taken 5k payouts to get out of jobs before.

Cheers for the reply

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I ve loved all the jobs I have had , works took me all over the world, challenged me to learn and re-learn and met hundreds of people many of who became good friends. Everyone’s gotta work 1/3 of their life for 40 years or thereabouts , you might as well enjoy it and use it to live life to the full

over a year ago

"For the last couple of years I've worked virtually non stop due to the pandemic. I had 6 weeks off in the first lockdown and the odd day off. If I gave up work tomorrow I couldn't care less. How about you Leo?

Hi TD. I actually have the best job I've had in years and really enjoy going into work. Hasn't always been the case though so I can see both sides of the coin.

That's good you have to be happy with what you do we spend a big chunk of our life doing it so it must be enjoyable. I've taken 5k payouts to get out of jobs before.

Cheers for the reply "

Pay cuts

over a year ago

Work for myself and I love it. But it takes over your life somewhat. So I am in between right now, Leo.

over a year ago

"Who ever decided we work 5 days out of 7 ???

I work 7 out of 7"

That's tough. Or by choice ?

over a year ago

Cheers for the reply

Pay cuts "

Yes, 5k would be a good payoff ! Btw I called you TD but I see you've changed name, always throws me.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

I don't have to work but I do love my profession so continue to do it.

over a year ago

"Work for myself and I love it. But it takes over your life somewhat. So I am in between right now, Leo. "

Definitely harder to draw life/work boundaries when you are self employed. Even more important to make time away from work I think.

over a year ago

I have two jobs and I really love them both. I like having a purpose and feeling like I'm making a contribution to society. But I also enjoy the balance from having two fairly different professions.

over a year ago

"If I could find a job I loved doing then it would definitely be "live to work". My last job I loved but I used to work in a solicitors and that was definitely "work to live". Now, I just want a job again but it's a job in itself trying to find one x"

Good luck Katt. Lockdown has turned so much of the economy upside down but hopefully some normality is returning with more job opportunities.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I hate my job. Unfortunately I'm not good enough at things I enjoy to make a living out of them. Luke

over a year ago

"Work to live sadly...

Would you like to change job/career ?"

Yes. But I have never been good at anything or known what I wanted to do

over a year ago

"I don’t work. Early retirement sort of. Can’t imagine now having to do something by order.

But I do look for things to keep myself occupied ."

I imagine many people who retire find themselves busier than ever, and loving it.

over a year ago

"I don't have to work but I do love my profession so continue to do it. "

An essential profession too.

By *anPsurreycoupleCouple
over a year ago

Surrey

Rather work longer hours for 4 days and have 3 day offs

over a year ago

"Work to live sadly...

Would you like to change job/career ?

Yes. But I have never been good at anything or known what I wanted to do"

You are still very young. Plenty of time to find that thing you enjoy and are good at, I'm sure.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I took early retirement at 55, I miss my former calling dreadfully but in the NHS, its kill or be killed.

I can't afford not to work and I've just left another incredibly stressful job after two years to work in Waitrose.

My shift patterns will interrupt my nice and simple life, I can't wait.

over a year ago

"Work for myself and I love it. But it takes over your life somewhat. So I am in between right now, Leo.

Definitely harder to draw life/work boundaries when you are self employed. Even more important to make time away from work I think."

In the last 18 months the boundaries blurred so much working around Covid that I was feeling guilty having time off at all. It's really important to have that balance.

over a year ago

"I have two jobs and I really love them both. I like having a purpose and feeling like I'm making a contribution to society. But I also enjoy the balance from having two fairly different professions. "

More and more of us have multiple jobs and I like the idea of achieving a good balance that way.

over a year ago

For the amount of work that I get done in a week I'm very lucky with my job around my family life and being paid to flirt,have lunches and dinners paid for when required can only be a bonus!

over a year ago

"Rather work longer hours for 4 days and have 3 day offs "

Like 10 hour days? I think I'd prefer that too.

over a year ago

"For the amount of work that I get done in a week I'm very lucky with my job around my family life and being paid to flirt,have lunches and dinners paid for when required can only be a bonus! "

Paid to flirt ! You must be a millionaire by now

over a year ago

"I hate my job. Unfortunately I'm not good enough at things I enjoy to make a living out of them. Luke "

I've been there Luke I hope you can find something better, even if it's not doing what you really enjoy.

over a year ago

"For the amount of work that I get done in a week I'm very lucky with my job around my family life and being paid to flirt,have lunches and dinners paid for when required can only be a bonus!

Paid to flirt ! You must be a millionaire by now "

I wish Blooms......

over a year ago

"Who ever decided we work 5 days out of 7 ???

I work 7 out of 7"

bloody hell really ?

over a year ago

Cheers for the reply

Pay cuts

Yes, 5k would be a good payoff ! Btw I called you TD but I see you've changed name, always throws me."

No worries it was actually TM tricky micky not dicky lol

over a year ago

"For the amount of work that I get done in a week I'm very lucky with my job around my family life and being paid to flirt,have lunches and dinners paid for when required can only be a bonus!

Paid to flirt ! You must be a millionaire by now

I wish Blooms......"

You're still very young, lots of time for that.

But it's great you have such a flexible career with enjoyable extras.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

Massively overrated.

Being sick at being told it’s Monday TO Friday not Monday OR Friday.

I don’t know why they’re so obsessed with me they need me 5/7 days.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Unfortunately we can't afford staff in our business so we have to do all the work ourselves. We are counting down to retirement, only 20 more years to go.

over a year ago

"I ve loved all the jobs I have had , works took me all over the world, challenged me to learn and re-learn and met hundreds of people many of who became good friends. Everyone’s gotta work 1/3 of their life for 40 years or thereabouts , you might as well enjoy it and use it to live life to the full "

That's quite a scary stat, but true. So live while we work.

over a year ago

"I'm guilty of being a bit 'live to work' I get obsessive and am a bit of a workaholic (as anyone who's ever tried to make plans with me can confirm ). I'm trying hard to pull back though and do less working and more living! "
It’s hard to pull back sometimes especially when you work for yourself ! I’ve started to say fuck it a lot more and everything is going well. P.s I took the day off today

over a year ago

I’m currently taking a little break to focus on myself and also go back into studying as I feel my previous work was great but I needed to close the chapter x

I’m lucky I guess I can take my time off to focus on me and be able to afford take the hit

over a year ago

"I'm guilty of being a bit 'live to work' I get obsessive and am a bit of a workaholic (as anyone who's ever tried to make plans with me can confirm ). I'm trying hard to pull back though and do less working and more living! It’s hard to pull back sometimes especially when you work for yourself ! I’ve started to say fuck it a lot more and everything is going well. P.s I took the day off today "

Well it was passing down

over a year ago

I'm incredibly lucky to have my job (well i worked hard, but you know ).. As much as i love my company /job, it would be nice to live a little

Another 5 years and I'll have pd my mortgage off (i could pay it off now).. Then I'll have options..

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Work ! What is it good for !?

And if you're not working at the moment, would you like to or is it a relief ?"

I’m taking a break. Was in last job for 10 years, just finished. It’s a bit scary not knowing when I will earn again, but fuck it! And I’m sure something will turn up. I just didn’t want to assume that I will reach retirement age for and healthy ... assumes a lot.

Yes it is a relief not to have to put up with some of the shit I was tolerating on a daily basis. It creeps up on you, easy to sleepwalk into a situation where you are no longer happy.

By *ad Bod AdonisMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I would give up work in a heartbeat if I could afford to. Having said that I would them devote my time to writing which is something I do as a sideline at the moment.

over a year ago

"Massively overrated.

Being sick at being told it’s Monday TO Friday not Monday OR Friday.

I don’t know why they’re so obsessed with me they need me 5/7 days. "

They're borderline stalkers some of these bosses, I swear.

over a year ago

"I’m currently taking a little break to focus on myself and also go back into studying as I feel my previous work was great but I needed to close the chapter x

I’m lucky I guess I can take my time off to focus on me and be able to afford take the hit "

Career breaks can be invaluable, lifelong learning too.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

I've been out of work the slog to the DWP center to get my money and dealing with a unknowing secretary of the government makes me appreciate the job I have and the freedom of sorts it gives, it just luck I like my job and I'm not stuck in a corrugated iron warehouse for 12hrs and not even seeing the sunrises like some sleep deprived zombie.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I'm incredibly lucky to have my job (well i worked hard, but you know ).. As much as i love my company /job, it would be nice to live a little

Another 5 years and I'll have pd my mortgage off (i could pay it off now).. Then I'll have options.. "

Enjoy those options! Well earned when you get into that position.

And yes I know what you mean about being “lucky”. Same here, I have been lucky enough to have a decent career, but most of that luck came in the form of parents who strongly encouraged working hard in school, and being smart enough to be able to get good grades if I worked hard. After that, the main piece of luck has been staying healthy. But all of that would have for me nowhere if I hadn’t studied hard in school and uni, and then worked just as off when I got decent career opportunities. Huge amount of luck, and a good deal of hard work.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I’m currently taking a little break to focus on myself and also go back into studying as I feel my previous work was great but I needed to close the chapter x

I’m lucky I guess I can take my time off to focus on me and be able to afford take the hit

Career breaks can be invaluable, lifelong learning too."

Completely 100 per cent agreed. Sabbaticals or quitting, getting away from work for a while gives you a different perspective on work and life.

By *r Discreet 75Man
over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

I work far to much that's why I'm single ..... well that and my face I'm on here for 2 reasons 1 I'm to busy to hold down a relationship and 2 I'm going to retire abroad it would be selfish to start a relationship and expect someone to drop everything

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I would give up work in a heartbeat if I could afford to. Having said that I would them devote my time to writing which is something I do as a sideline at the moment."

What sort of writing do you do? How did you get started?

over a year ago

"I'm incredibly lucky to have my job (well i worked hard, but you know ).. As much as i love my company /job, it would be nice to live a little

Another 5 years and I'll have pd my mortgage off (i could pay it off now).. Then I'll have options.. "

Good plan. I bet you're already planning some adventures for that time.

over a year ago

"I work far to much that's why I'm single ..... well that and my face I'm on here for 2 reasons 1 I'm to busy to hold down a relationship and 2 I'm going to retire abroad it would be selfish to start a relationship and expect someone to drop everything "

Where would you like to retire to ?

By *not123Couple
over a year ago

sp1

"Work is not a job for me, it’s part of my lifestyle. Since I changed my outlook to this, my life has stepped up to a higher more satisfying level. "

Sounds interesting

By *ad Bod AdonisMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I would give up work in a heartbeat if I could afford to. Having said that I would them devote my time to writing which is something I do as a sideline at the moment.

What sort of writing do you do? How did you get started? "

I've written a novel (unpublished) and am working on another. I've also had a number of short stories published in various different places.

over a year ago

Thanks for all the interesting posts. Apologies if I havent replied to anyone, not deliberate!

By *not123Couple
over a year ago

sp1

I work shifts so 12 hour shifts 3 /4 days a week hard going. Looking for something closer home at mo as travel an hour n half to work

over a year ago

"I work shifts so 12 hour shifts 3 /4 days a week hard going. Looking for something closer home at mo as travel an hour n half to work "

Yes, that's another hour a day on top of work. Best wishes looking for the new job.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

5x8 hours is overrated. I can fully get my job done in 6 hours and working from home made me realise that

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Currently work to live, hoping to find the next rung up before it us too late.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I enjoy working for the mental stimulation and I enjoy my job but I do work to live.

If I wasn't working, I would need to do something to keep my brain active. The longest I haven't worked was my 6 months maternity leave, I was so pleased to get back to work.

By *r Discreet 75Man
over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

"I work far to much that's why I'm single ..... well that and my face I'm on here for 2 reasons 1 I'm to busy to hold down a relationship and 2 I'm going to retire abroad it would be selfish to start a relationship and expect someone to drop everything

Where would you like to retire to ?"

turkey or Thailand people ate very nice in both places although Thailand is like paradise

By *est Mims LookingCouple
over a year ago

Crofton

I'm retired but hubby is working mainly for our insurance. Wish he didn't but it is what it is.

By *EAT..85Woman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I work minimally to live.

My job is cool but I look around and wonder how people do the same thing day in day out for years on end.

Everyone that I know that has been made redundant has come out the other side refreshed and ready to face new challenges.

By *esi_Dingg_DonggCouple
over a year ago

london

As a nation of brexiteers we all need to work harder and keep the country running efficiently

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I certainly work to live...I endured 3 months garden leave earlier in the year and I was climbing the walls with boredom, so I think I'd struggle to not work. But if money wasn't a deciding factor then I'd definitely do something very different to what I actually do.

over a year ago

We used to work 6 of 7 until the unions came along.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I work to live although I do enjoy the job. Covid has created flexi working which suits me better. I’m getting ready to stop or slow down, work isn’t as important now

over a year ago

"Work is not a job for me, it’s part of my lifestyle. Since I changed my outlook to this, my life has stepped up to a higher more satisfying level. "

This…. Went freelance, not pick and choose assignments. No need to worry about office politics. Well not as much anyway.

over a year ago

Semi retired pick and choose jobs now. I work for charities helping them with av and stuff i love it

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Work to live. It's a career. And it's interesting enough that I'm never bored. It's a lot of work but there are certain perks.

over a year ago

I work to live,

however ive been living to work recently, ive used work as a coping mechanism which isnt healthy.

I used to have the balance right 4 hour mon to thurs be done for mid day then fri sat sun off. Recently ive been working 12h days 7 days a week

over a year ago

"I work to live,

however ive been living to work recently, ive used work as a coping mechanism which isnt healthy.

I used to have the balance right 4 hour mon to thurs be done for mid day then fri sat sun off. Recently ive been working 12h days 7 days a week "

See that holiday G ? It's got your name on it ! But I do hope that more balance is not far away.

over a year ago

"5x8 hours is overrated. I can fully get my job done in 6 hours and working from home made me realise that"

In theory the lockdown experience/experiment could alter a lot of working patterns for the better. Fingers crossed.

over a year ago

"I work minimally to live.

My job is cool but I look around and wonder how people do the same thing day in day out for years on end.

Everyone that I know that has been made redundant has come out the other side refreshed and ready to face new challenges. "

That's a positive thought. Every ending also a new beginning.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I am trying to get more balance with work. I love what I do but it can very easily take over my entire life. I'm hoping in a couple of years to take a step back, maybe go part time or take a job with a bit less responsibility.

I don't work to live as my job is more important to me than that, but I'm trying my hardest not to live to work.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Work is for money and to keep my brain from melting.

However I only work 2 1/2 days a week at the moment and my husband is a full time dad/studying/attempting self-employment.

We paid the mortgage off 2 years ago and don't spend much so live quite comfortably.

Once the kids are older I'll probably take on more hours again and maybe attempt another promotion. But thoroughly enjoying the quality of life we have at the moment. We're very lucky. I just hope that doesn't come off as smug, because we know we're really very fortunate

over a year ago

"I enjoy working for the mental stimulation and I enjoy my job but I do work to live.

If I wasn't working, I would need to do something to keep my brain active. The longest I haven't worked was my 6 months maternity leave, I was so pleased to get back to work. "

Brain exercise crucial to us all I think. I guess my ideal would be a mix of meaningful work, volunteering and return to study.

over a year ago

It's been a long time since I loved my job.

Sometimes I get moments of it where I know I'm making a difference.

I work a lot because I have to. I'm a single parent and so no matter what I seem to make I'm never in a position to be able to save.

By *ad Bod AdonisMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I've never understood people who get bored when they don't go to work. I was furloughed for a few months last year and it was paradise.

over a year ago

"I am trying to get more balance with work. I love what I do but it can very easily take over my entire life. I'm hoping in a couple of years to take a step back, maybe go part time or take a job with a bit less responsibility.

I don't work to live as my job is more important to me than that, but I'm trying my hardest not to live to work."

I've picked up a little about your job from other threads and it has always sounded stimulating but challenging.

over a year ago

"It's been a long time since I loved my job.

I work a lot because I have to. I'm a single parent and so no matter what I seem to make I'm never in a position to be able to save.

"

It is very unfair that many people work so hard yet still find it tough financially. Something broken there

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"5x8 hours is overrated. I can fully get my job done in 6 hours and working from home made me realise that

In theory the lockdown experience/experiment could alter a lot of working patterns for the better. Fingers crossed."

Hopefully so, I don't even mind the office that much, but the days don't have to be as long as they are.

I've gotten better at not working loads for the sake of it as I was earlier in my career when I thought I had something to prove. I have more experience and know how to manage expectations a lot better

over a year ago

"I've never understood people who get bored when they don't go to work. I was furloughed for a few months last year and it was paradise."

Furlough was a liberation for some I'm sure. Hopefully opened up new possibilities to build on.

over a year ago

"5x8 hours is overrated. I can fully get my job done in 6 hours and working from home made me realise that

In theory the lockdown experience/experiment could alter a lot of working patterns for the better. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully so, I don't even mind the office that much, but the days don't have to be as long as they are.

I've gotten better at not working loads for the sake of it as I was earlier in my career when I thought I had something to prove. I have more experience and know how to manage expectations a lot better "

For a long time the UK has had some of the longest hours with the lowest productivity. Must be a better way to do things.

over a year ago

The idea of a “dream job” has irritated me recently. Surely not having a job and pursuing passions is the dream, right? X

By *azylivingMan
over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

I took a £21,000 pay cut & sent back my company car 2 years ago. Still in the same organisation but took a step down

Work life balance has massively improved, loving my weekends seeing family & friends & not having to do work related tasks or be on call.

Enjoying switching off my phone when on leave and actually enjoying my free time with new & old hobbies

Money is good but it cannot replace time with family

over a year ago

Work to live !

This is what it is government taxes bills up everything up lucky to be living at all

By *punkyMcFuckKnuckleMan
over a year ago

Glasvegas

I have a very demanding career at a time when I could really be doing anything else.

People get precious about being in my profession when I really couldn't care less.

Rewind the clock back I'd choose a trade I think.

over a year ago

I work for myself, on my own, in my own time. It has its obvious benefits but can be lonely and difficult to remain motivated at times.

I suppose, in the greater scheme of things, it's a relief for the freedom it affords.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

No, I wouldn’t say my job is overrated, under appreciated a lot of the time, but then aren’t so many.

I’ve been in the same industry for nearly 40 years and still wouldn’t want to do anything else.

Long hours and hard work but immensely satisfying.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I work too much really and I do feel guilty about it at times. I enjoy my job (most of the time) and my pride in it means I can't leave it unfinished/half done. Today, that meant starting answering messages at 07:30 to deal with absences and people stuck on trains and meant having no break and holding my bladder for upward of 2hrs. Anyone with a job involving education will probably understand this.

It's all worth it for the outcomes for the young people, ultimately.

over a year ago

"I have a very demanding career at a time when I could really be doing anything else.

People get precious about being in my profession when I really couldn't care less.

Rewind the clock back I'd choose a trade I think. "

Trades are still wrongly undervalued compared to professions, imo.

over a year ago

"The idea of a “dream job” has irritated me recently. Surely not having a job and pursuing passions is the dream, right? X"

I guess making a living from your passion is the dream for some?

over a year ago

"I work for myself, on my own, in my own time. It has its obvious benefits but can be lonely and difficult to remain motivated at times.

I suppose, in the greater scheme of things, it's a relief for the freedom it affords."

I sense you'd like a more social side to work- is that possible in your line of business?

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I've never understood people who get bored when they don't go to work. I was furloughed for a few months last year and it was paradise."

Totally the same, I don't get it, o could fill my days with loads of stuff.

over a year ago

"I work too much really and I do feel guilty about it at times. I enjoy my job (most of the time) and my pride in it means I can't leave it unfinished/half done. Today, that meant starting answering messages at 07:30 to deal with absences and people stuck on trains and meant having no break and holding my bladder for upward of 2hrs. Anyone with a job involving education will probably understand this.

It's all worth it for the outcomes for the young people, ultimately. "

They sound very fortunate to have you. But you must also come first sometimes.

over a year ago

"I've never understood people who get bored when they don't go to work. I was furloughed for a few months last year and it was paradise.

Totally the same, I don't get it, o could fill my days with loads of stuff. "

I suppose lockdown was the test of the live to work/Work to live divide? Those who lived to work found themselves adrift in some cases.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Fuck yeah!

over a year ago

"Fuck yeah! "

Thread closed

over a year ago

"It's been a long time since I loved my job.

It is very unfair that many people work so hard yet still find it tough financially. Something broken there "

I work in the third sector because making a difference drives me. However, I do look at the corporate world pay scales and get quite envious!

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Fuck yeah!

Thread closed "

The wit and wisdom of chairman mojo

over a year ago

At the moment it feels like I'm living to work. I'm drowning in jobs, but as someone has told me on here.. I've obviously been given the work and tight deadlines because I'm one of the most capable at doing it (which makes me feel a little better about it).

I enjoy my job, but I'd love to get that divide just right between work and home (I'm WFH so they merge together!)

Pray for my work load slowing down soon please everyone.

over a year ago

North West

"At the moment it feels like I'm living to work. I'm drowning in jobs, but as someone has told me on here.. I've obviously been given the work and tight deadlines because I'm one of the most capable at doing it (which makes me feel a little better about it).

I enjoy my job, but I'd love to get that divide just right between work and home (I'm WFH so they merge together!)

Pray for my work load slowing down soon please everyone. "

https://g.co/kgs/iYuzU2

over a year ago

"

https://g.co/kgs/iYuzU2"

over a year ago

"

"

Great choice!

over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 18/10/21 22:51:24]

over a year ago

I don't have a job and I've never been so busy.

over a year ago

North West

"

Great choice!"

Only the finest will do, Leo old chap

By *isspurplechesterWoman
over a year ago

Chester

I absolutely love my job, when I’m not there I miss it! Although paying the bills can be an issue every month, I feel very fortunate to be where I am! When work doesn’t feel like work, but a hobby that you’re passionate about, there’s no reason not to smile every day

over a year ago

"

Great choice!

Only the finest will do, Leo old chap "

Aretha is my all time favourite artist.x

Post new Message to Thread