Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Little dog getting on my chest

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi all

I recently adopted a beautiful little dog. Her previous owner has terminal cancer and has sadly gone into a hospice.

The dog is the sweetest and is not a spot of trouble, except she gives me a wheezy/itchy chest. She’s been amazing company of a night and loved cuddles.

I’m taking antihistamines all the time but they are having minimal effect.

Is there something I can wash her in, a natural remedy maybe, to help with my allergy?

Someone suggested an oat bath?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Potentially your body may adjust, keep up with the antihistamines as best you can. Talk to your doctor if you are serious about keeping the dog, for other options.

I was, well still am but effects are less, allergic to puppy urine. Not as it sounds!

Taking care of puppies I would feel exactly like I do when hayfever hits. Horrible.

Antihistamines took the edge off, but over time my body adjusted to the irritant and now I barely notice unless I don't take my antihistamines.

over a year ago

"Potentially your body may adjust, keep up with the antihistamines as best you can. Talk to your doctor if you are serious about keeping the dog, for other options.

I was, well still am but effects are less, allergic to puppy urine. Not as it sounds!

Taking care of puppies I would feel exactly like I do when hayfever hits. Horrible.

Antihistamines took the edge off, but over time my body adjusted to the irritant and now I barely notice unless I don't take my antihistamines."

That’s good to know, I’m hoping that I do adjust as this little girl is settled now and I don’t want to even think about rehoming her. She has brought me so much joy.

Thank you

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Potentially your body may adjust, keep up with the antihistamines as best you can. Talk to your doctor if you are serious about keeping the dog, for other options.

Antihistamines took the edge off, but over time my body adjusted to the irritant and now I barely notice unless I don't take my antihistamines.

That’s good to know, I’m hoping that I do adjust as this little girl is settled now and I don’t want to even think about rehoming her. She has brought me so much joy.

Thank you "

Don't forget to reduce the anti histo. Thingys as your body adjusts

But I wish you all the best with your newfound friend

over a year ago

Thank you

Don't forget to reduce the anti histo. Thingys as your body adjusts

But I wish you all the best with your newfound friend"

Thank you

over a year ago

Thank you "

beat thing we ever did was get a rescue ... Fab needs a share your pet pic function! (No pussy jokes allowed!)

over a year ago

Thank you beat thing we ever did was get a rescue ... Fab needs a share your pet pic function! (No pussy jokes allowed!)"

Aww it absolutely does!

over a year ago

I think you should give her regular shampoos as it is the dander that often gives allergies, rather than the hair. Use a shampoo for dogs, not human as that could affect her eyes.

I have a little rescue too - they are so loving, aren’t they?

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

Tea tree or witch hazel shampoo.. it will help xxx

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

What about an air ioniser?

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

I'm fine with cats & dogs until I inadvertently rub my nose or eyes & then I'm off streaming & wheezy. Hands away from face, no probs. I've never quite understood it. Rinse my hands under the tap & nothing, all good again. Maybe experiment aa we touch our faces so much each day you may not realise you're doing it.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"Tea tree or witch hazel shampoo.. it will help xxx"

Ooooh careful they can be quite toxic for pets. Make sure it’s a pet brand.

over a year ago

This might actually be the oily skin on the dogs underbelly irritating your skin. I had this when my mini dach came home with me a few years ago and was given, fexofenadine by the docs. It stopped pretty much the next day. I ran the months course and it’s never come back.

Keep with it as it will be something small that will be fixed. All the best chum (hi to the dog from me and Bubba)

over a year ago

Thanks everyone. I had a horrific night, I was up all night coughing and wheezing. Took antihistamines with little effect.

I’ve taken all of your advice on board, I’m going to try to see what I can do to make it better as I’m shattered!

Good job she’s so cute!

By *urplechesterCouple
over a year ago

chester

You can buy cat food that apparently makes them less allergic to humans, I wonder if there’s a dog version! Sadly I can’t get to close to my daughters dog as my throat closes up instantly, and eyes/nose just streams! I’d love to be able to give him a cuddle, so please do let me know if you find anything! Miss pc

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"Thanks everyone. I had a horrific night, I was up all night coughing and wheezing. Took antihistamines with little effect.

I’ve taken all of your advice on board, I’m going to try to see what I can do to make it better as I’m shattered!

Good job she’s so cute! "

can you get her a sleeping bag?

over a year ago

"You can buy cat food that apparently makes them less allergic to humans, I wonder if there’s a dog version! Sadly I can’t get to close to my daughters dog as my throat closes up instantly, and eyes/nose just streams! I’d love to be able to give him a cuddle, so please do let me know if you find anything! Miss pc "

I definitely will! Mine loves cuddles and kisses and I can’t resist - then I can’t breathe!

over a year ago

"Thanks everyone. I had a horrific night, I was up all night coughing and wheezing. Took antihistamines with little effect.

Good job she’s so cute! can you get her a sleeping bag? "

I could do, if she’d stay in it.

Post new Message to Thread