Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I am an ethical vegan. AMA!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hello all fabbers. I have been an ethical vegan for more than 3 years. I have became vegan not because of dietary choices or anything. It is a fact that animals feel sadness, fear, happiness, anxiety, and all other feelings that humans are capable to feel. Since, I dont want to hurt or harm any of the livings that feel like me, I chose to be vegan and I have been trying to buy and consume nothing that exploit animals.

If you wonder anything about veganism, I would be happy to answer your questions.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

At what level does an animal breeding sentient enough to be inedible to you? Are insects and prawns sensate?

Would you eat animal by-products if you were sure they weren't being mistreated, such as having your own chickens?

Is honey vegan?

Reply privately

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

A vegan friend would only eat honey where she knew the hives were not damaged in order to get the honey out

Reply privately

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

If there was scientific proof that plants are sentient beings would you stop eating them?

Not trying to boil piss, asking a genuine question

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"If there was scientific proof that plants are sentient beings would you stop eating them?"

This is something I have pondered on myself. Since I found out that mummy trees share nutrients with their baby trees

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

What would you do if your house had an insect invasion and required fumigation to make it habitable?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"At what level does an animal breeding sentient enough to be inedible to you? Are insects and prawns sensate?

Would you eat animal by-products if you were sure they weren't being mistreated, such as having your own chickens?

Is honey vegan? "

Any animals that are capable to feel, so any animals that have central nervous system have right to live just like humans. I am not sure whether all insects and prawns are sensate, science would answer that question. But I am not hurting those in any case.

I would not. I would not eat my cat, I would not eat the chicken either. Cause probablt there would be a connection between me and those chicken so I could not eat them. However, as an ethical vegan, I am against to existence of any domestic animals.

And honey is not vegan of course. Bees produce honey for themselves. Not for humans.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A vegan friend would only eat honey where she knew the hives were not damaged in order to get the honey out "

You are stealing from them, bees never produce honey for someone else. It could be vegan, I am not sure but it is definitely not ethical. So it doesnt fit ethical veganism.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If there was scientific proof that plants are sentient beings would you stop eating them?

Not trying to boil piss, asking a genuine question "

Well, in that case we would find a way. We are living in a modern society and science makes many things possible. For example we can produce lab-meat.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If there was scientific proof that plants are sentient beings would you stop eating them?

This is something I have pondered on myself. Since I found out that mummy trees share nutrients with their baby trees "

Source?

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Would you eat a vegan meal in a restaurant which serves meat ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What would you do if your house had an insect invasion and required fumigation to make it habitable?"

There are other ways to get rid of those insect rather than fumigation. They are slower and more expensive, that is why people prefer fumigation all the time. So I would not poison them, try to find a more humane way

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"What would you do if your house had an insect invasion and required fumigation to make it habitable?

There are other ways to get rid of those insect rather than fumigation. They are slower and more expensive, that is why people prefer fumigation all the time. So I would not poison them, try to find a more humane way"

So you are saying you would physically move them all out of the house?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Would you eat a vegan meal in a restaurant which serves meat ? "

Nope. I dont eat in those places.

However, for example when one of my friend brings me a food that contains animal products, I dont throw that meal to garbage. Wasting the meal is also unethical. I am giving to my neighbours or just eating.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What would you do if your house had an insect invasion and required fumigation to make it habitable?

There are other ways to get rid of those insect rather than fumigation. They are slower and more expensive, that is why people prefer fumigation all the time. So I would not poison them, try to find a more humane way

So you are saying you would physically move them all out of the house?"

If they cause some harm on me, yes, I would move them physically without harming them, or I would move out.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

"Would you eat a vegan meal in a restaurant which serves meat ?

However, for example when one of my friend brings me a food that contains animal products, I dont throw that meal to garbage. Wasting the meal is also unethical. I am giving to my neighbours or just eating. "

That’s a great and ethical answer.

Reply privately

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

"

I would not. I would not eat my cat, I would not eat the chicken either. Cause probablt there would be a connection between me and those chicken so I could not eat them. However, as an ethical vegan, I am against to existence of any domestic animals.

"

I meant byproducts as in eggs, milk, wool or honey. All of those are produced in excess of what the animal needs and if you owned then you'd know they were well treated.

And you own a cat but are opposed to domesticating animals?

Reply privately

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

"A vegan friend would only eat honey where she knew the hives were not damaged in order to get the honey out

You are stealing from them, bees never produce honey for someone else. It could be vegan, I am not sure but it is definitely not ethical. So it doesnt fit ethical veganism. "

I didn’t say she was an ethical vegan. I just said vegan.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Would you take medication ? For life threatening and non life threatening purposes ?. (Just curious not trying to cause a stir)

Reply privately

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

If you had children would they be brought up vegan from the start?

Reply privately

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

[Removed by poster at 16/10/21 19:00:34]

Reply privately

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

This is something I have pondered on myself. Since I found out that mummy trees share nutrients with their baby trees

Source?"

Might take some finding but I remember reading an article about cabbages sending out distress signals when they start being harvested

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I meant byproducts as in eggs, milk, wool or honey. All of those are produced in excess of what the animal needs and if you owned then you'd know they were well treated.

And you own a cat but are opposed to domesticating animals? "

Great questions, thanks :D

Well, who decide those are excess? Have you asked animals that if they feel they are producing something excess for them? Of course we are constantly turning animals into something against to natural.

I am against domestic animals but I have a cat. Sounds like hypocrisy, right? But cats are supposed to live in nature, not in shelters and streets. Shelters and streets are not suitable for cats. Thats why I adopted one of them, and she was sterilised. What humans need to do is to stop domestic animal breedings while not leaving them by themselves. They are our responsibilities.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"A vegan friend would only eat honey where she knew the hives were not damaged in order to get the honey out

You are stealing from them, bees never produce honey for someone else. It could be vegan, I am not sure but it is definitely not ethical. So it doesnt fit ethical veganism. "

No, it's not vegan.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Would you take medication ? For life threatening and non life threatening purposes ?. (Just curious not trying to cause a stir) "

Oh you are playing hard… I am not against vaccines or medications. I am against medications and vaccines that are tested on animals. Therefore I would use any medication that are not tested on animals.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you had children would they be brought up vegan from the start?"

Yeap. I would not exploit any other child to grow my child. There is no difference between animals and humans for me.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Would you take medication ? For life threatening and non life threatening purposes ?. (Just curious not trying to cause a stir)

Oh you are playing hard… I am not against vaccines or medications. I am against medications and vaccines that are tested on animals. Therefore I would use any medication that are not tested on animals. "

If the only drug that could save your life (or your child’s life) came from an animal what would you do?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Would you take medication ? For life threatening and non life threatening purposes ?. (Just curious not trying to cause a stir)

Oh you are playing hard… I am not against vaccines or medications. I am against medications and vaccines that are tested on animals. Therefore I would use any medication that are not tested on animals. "

If one of your loved ones was dying and testing a vaccine/medication on an animal would decide if it is safe or not what would you do?

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Source?"

Not sure if this link will work https://time.com/6045438/finding-the-mother-tree-and-how-trees-care-for-their-saplings/

But you can Google "How Trees Mother Their Seedlings"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"If you had children would they be brought up vegan from the start?

Yeap. I would not exploit any other child to grow my child. There is no difference between animals and humans for me. "

What if they got to an age where they decided they didn’t want to be vegan?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Source?

Might take some finding but I remember reading an article about cabbages sending out distress signals when they start being harvested "

I know the study you are referencing. But, we are not sure about those are distress signals-the writers of the study just assume those are distress signals. Thinking that article, we are only sure about that plants can be capable of communication.

Reply privately

By *ungandMan
over a year ago

daveyhulme

Veggie pasta for me

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Source?

Not sure if this link will work https://time.com/6045438/finding-the-mother-tree-and-how-trees-care-for-their-saplings/

But you can Google "How Trees Mother Their Seedlings" "

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben is an interesting read.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh you are playing hard… I am not against vaccines or medications. I am against medications and vaccines that are tested on animals. Therefore I would use any medication that are not tested on animals.

If the only drug that could save your life (or your child’s life) came from an animal what would you do?"

Nope, as such if the only drug that could save my life came from “you” without your consent I would not use it either.

Reply privately

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

Source?

Might take some finding but I remember reading an article about cabbages sending out distress signals when they start being harvested

I know the study you are referencing. But, we are not sure about those are distress signals-the writers of the study just assume those are distress signals. Thinking that article, we are only sure about that plants can be capable of communication. "

Yeah, it’s about the interpretation of communication isn’t it? That goes someways to potentially proving that some plants are sentient.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

If the only drug that could save your life (or your child’s life) came from an animal what would you do?

Nope, as such if the only drug that could save my life came from “you” without your consent I would not use it either. "

So you would choose an animal’s life over saving your child’s?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Source?

But you can Google "How Trees Mother Their Seedlings" "

Well, this doesnt work perfectly because I generally rely on multiple scientific articles before believing in something, not on a website even if it is time

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you had children would they be brought up vegan from the start?

Yeap. I would not exploit any other child to grow my child. There is no difference between animals and humans for me.

What if they got to an age where they decided they didn’t want to be vegan?"

Their decision. Cannot do anything about it.

Reply privately

By *ake and ScribbleCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Do you eat food produced and imported from other countries and sourced from vast areas covered by plastic?

Do you stick to unprocessed,seasonal food, locally sourced and minimally packaged?

How do you travel?

Are you concerned that the substandard and missing nutrients in a vegan diet may impact your health?

What sort of fabrics do you wear?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If one of your loved ones was dying and testing a vaccine/medication on an animal would decide if it is safe or not what would you do?"

I would not do that if doing the same thing on human is unethical.

Reply privately

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

vegans are trying to destroy our environment imagine a country without cows sheep pigs & chickens, just a desert growing protein crops. Animals are too expensive to keep if you dont eat them

Reply privately

over a year ago

Source?

I know the study you are referencing. But, we are not sure about those are distress signals-the writers of the study just assume those are distress signals. Thinking that article, we are only sure about that plants can be capable of communication.

Yeah, it’s about the interpretation of communication isn’t it? That goes someways to potentially proving that some plants are sentient."

It is very hard-thinking process. There are tons of scientific articles that questioning the probability of sentient and consciousness of plants. If you can prove that I will be just next to you mate.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"vegans are trying to destroy our environment imagine a country without cows sheep pigs & chickens, just a desert growing protein crops. Animals are too expensive to keep if you dont eat them "

Not vegans. Humans. As a race are doing that just fine at destroying the environment. We as a species are the largest parasite to ever exist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nope, as such if the only drug that could save my life came from “you” without your consent I would not use it either.

So you would choose an animal’s life over saving your child’s?"

I am not into position of choosing an animal’s life. Just like nobody can choose their life over my child’s life or mine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"vegans are trying to destroy our environment imagine a country without cows sheep pigs & chickens, just a desert growing protein crops. Animals are too expensive to keep if you dont eat them "

Hahahhahahha. You are funny dude. The biggest cause of global warming is domestic animals, especially cows. If you want to protect environment, stop eating meat.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"At what level does an animal breeding sentient enough to be inedible to you? Are insects and prawns sensate?

Is honey vegan?

Any animals that are capable to feel, so any animals that have central nervous system have right to live just like humans. I am not sure whether all insects and prawns are sensate, science would answer that question. But I am not hurting those in any case.

And honey is not vegan of course. Bees produce honey for themselves. Not for humans.

"

What if we grew 'creatures' in a lab that had no nervous system, but we're just lumps of living, growing flesh?

Would you be OK to eat that?

(tbh, I probably wouldn't eat it, and I eat meat )

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I am not into position of choosing an animal’s life. Just like nobody can choose their life over my child’s life or mine. "

You haven’t answered my question.

Reply privately

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

A quick question that we have often discussed between ourselves is that of unethical crops.

As an ethical vegan, do you actively avoid crops that have most likely resulted in the destruction of delicate and irreplaceable ecosystems? I’m thinking of the likes of soya and palm-oil.

What about crops that require the use of migratory beekeeping such as avocados and almonds?

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

How do feel about ants trampled in the building of your house and growing of your crops?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do you eat food produced and imported from other countries and sourced from vast areas covered by plastic?

Do you stick to unprocessed,seasonal food, locally sourced and minimally packaged?

How do you travel?

Are you concerned that the substandard and missing nutrients in a vegan diet may impact your health?

What sort of fabrics do you wear?

"

Great questions. Thank you

1. Unfortunately I eat them. I know I should not, maybe I am not that ethical

2. Again. Not every time. You made me feel bad

3. It depends. In the city, I walk or I take transportation.

4. Nope. Actually, lots of dietary associations from different countries suggest vegan diet.

5. Cotton or synthetic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is honey vegan?

What if we grew 'creatures' in a lab that had no nervous system, but we're just lumps of living, growing flesh?

(tbh, I probably wouldn't eat it, and I eat meat ) "

Like robots? there would not be an issue then I guess. Need to think about it!

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Is honey vegan?

(tbh, I probably wouldn't eat it, and I eat meat ) "

That in and of itself is a whole ethical debate even beyond even that of just veganism.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"A quick question that we have often discussed between ourselves is that of unethical crops.

As an ethical vegan, do you actively avoid crops that have most likely resulted in the destruction of delicate and irreplaceable ecosystems? I’m thinking of the likes of soya and palm-oil.

What about crops that require the use of migratory beekeeping such as avocados and almonds? "

Palm oil is an interesting one, as it isn't actually palm oil at fault, more the popularity of it.

Palm oil growth takes up less land mass than other oils.

By stopping the use of palm oil, you are actually encouraging the farms to switch to other oils that use more land and will cause more damage.

Instead, we should be going to ethically produced palm oil.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am not into position of choosing an animal’s life. Just like nobody can choose their life over my child’s life or mine.

You haven’t answered my question. "

Because you asked a wrong question, you assume that whether I choose an animal’s life or my child’s life. But as choosing my child’s life is not ethical over another child’s life, and it cannot be a matter of choice, I cannot also choose my child’s life over an animal’s. The question is like do you love your mother or father…

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A quick question that we have often discussed between ourselves is that of unethical crops.

What about crops that require the use of migratory beekeeping such as avocados and almonds? "

Thank you. This is the thing I argue with other vegans a lot. I personally do not consume avocados and almonds that I dont know the source.

So, yes an ethical vegan has to avoid those product of he/she/they want to be consistent.

Reply privately

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

"vegans are trying to destroy our environment imagine a country without cows sheep pigs & chickens, just a desert growing protein crops. Animals are too expensive to keep if you dont eat them

Hahahhahahha. You are funny dude. The biggest cause of global warming is domestic animals, especially cows. If you want to protect environment, stop eating meat. "

an environment without animals is not a nice place to live in , the big problem at the moment is overpopulation too many people consuming too much food & fuel . Humans are the problem not cows & sheep.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Because you asked a wrong question, you assume that whether I choose an animal’s life or my child’s life. But as choosing my child’s life is not ethical over another child’s life, and it cannot be a matter of choice, I cannot also choose my child’s life over an animal’s. The question is like do you love your mother or father…"

You’ve now answered my question. Thanks.

No more questions from me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How do feel about ants trampled in the building of your house and growing of your crops?"

Very bad. They did not deserve it.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Veganism is a dietary choice. It cannot scale to an environmental choice as the followers don’t understand the complexities of farming or overall lifestyle.

You think you create a better environment for humans by not eating pork but still wear cotton clothes and burn fuels for heating.

After all we ain’t destroying the planet. But it certainly looks like we are creating a planet unsuitable for ourselves.

Reply privately

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

But you will eat meat if someone has cooked it for you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Veganism is a dietary choice. It cannot scale to an environmental choice as the followers don’t understand the complexities of farming or overall lifestyle.

You think you create a better environment for humans by not eating pork but still wear cotton clothes and burn fuels for heating.

After all we ain’t destroying the planet. But it certainly looks like we are creating a planet unsuitable for ourselves."

Veganism is not definitely only a dietary choice. But being vegan doesnt make you perfect of course. There are vegan out there living in the nature in a great harmony. My fault is only mine, it is not because of the flaws of the veganism. As an ethical vegan I am not eating pork because I know that pork feels as much as I do not because of creating a better environment. If you dont eat pork because of dietary choices then veganism becomes only dietary choice for you. Or if you dont eat pork because of the environment, then you are an environmental vegan. They all different.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But you will eat meat if someone has cooked it for you? "

I would try to not to let to cook meat someone who cook for me. If he/she doesnt know I am vegan and cooks meat, then instead of wasting that food, I would try to utilise it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What is it about sentience that you believe is special? You don't distinguish between your child and another sentient animal, even an insect. You use the presence of a CNS as a sign of "sentience" but what is it about this that is so special? Why are sentient lifeforms more worthy of respect than non sentient ones?

Secondly, a tree will grow toward a light source, it is capable of reacting to its environment, at what point does the ability to react to move away from harm and toward survival reach a level that it is unethical to be the source of harm?

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What is it about sentience that you believe is special? You don't distinguish between your child and another sentient animal, even an insect. You use the presence of a CNS as a sign of "sentience" but what is it about this that is so special? Why are sentient lifeforms more worthy of respect than non sentient ones?

Secondly, a tree will grow toward a light source, it is capable of reacting to its environment, at what point does the ability to react to move away from harm and toward survival reach a level that it is unethical to be the source of harm?

Mr"

I guess these questions are not for me did you miss to press quote button?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because you asked a wrong question, you assume that whether I choose an animal’s life or my child’s life. But as choosing my child’s life is not ethical over another child’s life, and it cannot be a matter of choice, I cannot also choose my child’s life over an animal’s. The question is like do you love your mother or father…"

Sorry but no animal is worth the same to me as my kids!! No matter how ethical I'd want to be.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What is it about sentience that you believe is special? You don't distinguish between your child and another sentient animal, even an insect. You use the presence of a CNS as a sign of "sentience" but what is it about this that is so special? Why are sentient lifeforms more worthy of respect than non sentient ones?

Mr

I guess these questions are not for me did you miss to press quote button?"

No, they are for you.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thank you very much for all of your questions and thoughts. I got a bit tired while answering those questions. Again, it is all about me, I know I am completely ethical, I did lots of wrongs.

So if there is any doubt or question, I humbly suggest you to read other sources about veganism. The literature is full of great sources. I am planing to do the same thing in the future too. I enjoyed it. Hope you enjoyed too.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Because you asked a wrong question, you assume that whether I choose an animal’s life or my child’s life. But as choosing my child’s life is not ethical over another child’s life, and it cannot be a matter of choice, I cannot also choose my child’s life over an animal’s. The question is like do you love your mother or father…

Sorry but no animal is worth the same to me as my kids!! No matter how ethical I'd want to be."

To be fair this was the answer from someone who wouldn’t save their child’s life over any animal but who would happily accept that he eats food from thousands of miles away that has been covered in large amounts of plastic.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Veganism is a dietary choice. It cannot scale to an environmental choice as the followers don’t understand the complexities of farming or overall lifestyle.

After all we ain’t destroying the planet. But it certainly looks like we are creating a planet unsuitable for ourselves.

Veganism is not definitely only a dietary choice. But being vegan doesnt make you perfect of course. There are vegan out there living in the nature in a great harmony. My fault is only mine, it is not because of the flaws of the veganism. As an ethical vegan I am not eating pork because I know that pork feels as much as I do not because of creating a better environment. If you dont eat pork because of dietary choices then veganism becomes only dietary choice for you. Or if you dont eat pork because of the environment, then you are an environmental vegan. They all different.

"

I believed it was all vegan. Like all cults it’s already splitting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry but no animal is worth the same to me as my kids!! No matter how ethical I'd want to be."

What about other children? Are they worth the same to you as your kids?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"vegans are trying to destroy our environment imagine a country without cows sheep pigs & chickens, just a desert growing protein crops. Animals are too expensive to keep if you dont eat them

Hahahhahahha. You are funny dude. The biggest cause of global warming is domestic animals, especially cows. If you want to protect environment, stop eating meat.

an environment without animals is not a nice place to live in , the big problem at the moment is overpopulation too many people consuming too much food & fuel . Humans are the problem not cows & sheep. "

You know there are other animals other than farm stock? Could open up the countryside to more native species

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry but no animal is worth the same to me as my kids!! No matter how ethical I'd want to be.

What about other children? Are they worth the same to you as your kids?"

Woah now, you can't duck my question saying you are tired then answer a different one

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

I believed it was all vegan. Like all cults it’s already splitting."

Your believes do not matter in this sense. And they were different from the beginning. Believing they are the same thing doesnt make the same thing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

That wasn’t my original question though was it?

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I believed it was all vegan. Like all cults it’s already splitting.

Your believes do not matter in this sense. And they were different from the beginning. Believing they are the same thing doesnt make the same thing "

Gobbledygook

Reply privately

over a year ago

Woah now, you can't duck my question saying you are tired then answer a different one

Mr"

Yeah. Thats me. Could you answer my question?

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be fair this was the answer from someone who wouldn’t save their child’s life over any animal but who would happily accept that he eats food from thousands of miles away that has been covered in large amounts of plastic."

Well, I am answering scenarios right? I cannot know what I will do if I am in that situation. Maybe I will do the thing I said or something else.

I dont say anything about food from thousand of miles aways and large amount of plastic. You just assuming the amounts according to my answers right?

Reply privately

over a year ago

You mention Porto vines on your profile. Are you 100% sure they are vegan friendly? Many wines aren't vegetarian friendly owing to the gelatin used x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You mention Porto vines on your profile. Are you 100% sure they are vegan friendly? Many wines aren't vegetarian friendly owing to the gelatin used x"

There are brands produce wine vegan. It is end of the bottle generally. Thanks for warning tho

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

"You mention Porto vines on your profile. Are you 100% sure they are vegan friendly? Many wines aren't vegetarian friendly owing to the gelatin used x"

Many are filtered through egg White also.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That wasn’t my original question though was it?"

I missed it. Sorry. What was your original question?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I missed it. Sorry. What was your original question?"

No you didn’t. I asked if you’d choose an animals life over your child’s life? You brought other children into it. That wasn’t my question.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

Yeah. Thats me. Could you answer my question? "

Which one? I have asked a Austin as you said at the start of your thread, you asked me if it was aimed at someone else, I said no, it was for you and then you said you were tired.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Would you eat a vegan meal in a restaurant which serves meat ?

However, for example when one of my friend brings me a food that contains animal products, I dont throw that meal to garbage. Wasting the meal is also unethical. I am giving to my neighbours or just eating. "

So you are not a vegan

Reply privately

over a year ago

No you didn’t. I asked if you’d choose an animals life over your child’s life? You brought other children into it. That wasn’t my question. "

The thing I was trying to imply was that there is no difference between other child’s life and an animal’s life. So if it is wrong to ignore other children’s life over my child’s life, it should be also wrong choosing my child’s life over other animal’s life. Hopefully, I could express myself to you

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

...and many vineyards use chickens to keep the insects down. They also kill the rabbits and other small animals that decimate crops. Then there's animal based fertiliser and insect crop spraying.

Then...the insects that get through are killed and filtered out.

Then package it and import it hundreds of miles.

All for a crop that's purely for pleasure and not necessary at all.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

To be fair this was the answer from someone who wouldn’t save their child’s life over any animal but who would happily accept that he eats food from thousands of miles away that has been covered in large amounts of plastic.

Well, I am answering scenarios right? I cannot know what I will do if I am in that situation. Maybe I will do the thing I said or something else.

I dont say anything about food from thousand of miles aways and large amount of plastic. You just assuming the amounts according to my answers right? "

You were asked:

Do you eat food produced and imported from other countries and sourced from vast areas covered by plastic?

You answered;

So I think that is fairly clear.

As to the scenarios: if you put yourself forward as an “ethical” person and ask for questions then it is not unreasonable for people to probe where your boundaries are and how consistent you are with them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No you didn’t. I asked if you’d choose an animals life over your child’s life? You brought other children into it. That wasn’t my question.

The thing I was trying to imply was that there is no difference between other child’s life and an animal’s life. So if it is wrong to ignore other children’s life over my child’s life, it should be also wrong choosing my child’s life over other animal’s life. Hopefully, I could express myself to you "

So you wouldn’t or you would? Simple question! I’m not trying to trick you here. I’m genuinely interested in how far people will go for their beliefs. If you’d rather not answer then don’t but don’t twist my question around.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

Yeah. Thats me. Could you answer my question?

Which one? I have asked a Austin as you said at the start of your thread, you asked me if it was aimed at someone else, I said no, it was for you and then you said you were tired.

Mr"

Sorru dude. I really need to stop BUT I CANNOT. I mixed everything

Sorry again. I should really stop :D

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

"

I dont say anything about food from thousand of miles aways and large amount of plastic. You just assuming the amounts according to my answers right?

You were asked:

You answered;

As to the scenarios: if you put yourself forward as an “ethical” person and ask for questions then it is not unreasonable for people to probe where your boundaries are and how consistent you are with them.

"

Thanks, I was just answering that one

OP, in order to produce crops all year round, thousands of miles of plastic is used. It doesn't last long and is discarded in layers meters deep.

It degrades very slowly and leeches into the water table

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You were asked:

You answered;

"

Well, the problem here again the amount right. I try use as little as plastic but the modern life without it impossible.

Other thing is that I never said I am ethical. I said I am ethical vegan. I think you want to draw a strawman here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The thing I was trying to imply was that there is no difference between other child’s life and an animal’s life. So if it is wrong to ignore other children’s life over my child’s life, it should be also wrong choosing my child’s life over other animal’s life. Hopefully, I could express myself to you

So you wouldn’t or you would? Simple question! I’m not trying to trick you here. I’m genuinely interested in how far people will go for their beliefs. If you’d rather not answer then don’t but don’t twist my question around. "

I am answering exactly your question. But more clearly, I wouldnt.

Now, I just want to learn that “What about other children? Are they worth the same to you as your kids?” Would you choose another child’s life over your child’s life?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

So you wouldn’t or you would? Simple question! I’m not trying to trick you here. I’m genuinely interested in how far people will go for their beliefs. If you’d rather not answer then don’t but don’t twist my question around.

Now, I just want to learn that “What about other children? Are they worth the same to you as your kids?” Would you choose another child’s life over your child’s life?

"

I didn’t come to answer questions. I asked you some as that’s what you requested. Besides that has nothing whatsoever to do with it as in no world would I see any child’s life and an animal’s life as equal.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn’t come to answer questions. I asked you some as that’s what you requested. Besides that has nothing whatsoever to do with it as in no world would I see any child’s life and an animal’s life as equal. "

Fair enough. Until the sentence starts with besides.

The reason I asked that question you did not seem understand my explanation (or I failed to explain clearly), to make a point I asked that question. Other than, thank you for asking question then

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I didn’t come to answer questions. I asked you some as that’s what you requested. Besides that has nothing whatsoever to do with it as in no world would I see any child’s life and an animal’s life as equal.

The reason I asked that question you did not seem understand my explanation (or I failed to explain clearly), to make a point I asked that question. Other than, thank you for asking question then "

Yes you failed to explain clearly. What point were you trying to make by asking that question?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And what about those irosonsible cat owners jetting them shit on other people's gardens ? I have a word for them.

Arseoles

Reply privately

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

Hahahhahahha. You are funny dude. The biggest cause of global warming is domestic animals, especially cows. If you want to protect environment, stop eating meat. "

That is such a load of shit!!

I hope you are not one of these ethical vegans who still jump on a plane to go on holiday a few times a year? You can eat burger everyday for the rest of your life and it still wouldnt be as bad as a return transatlantic flight

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

You have a PET CAT….what does he/she eat?

Reply privately

over a year ago

im not having a dig op but 3 years is nothing to be giving out advice if you had said you been vegan fo 10 years then fair enought but your telling people not to eat meat but youve only been vegan for 3 tears ? but before that you were stuffing your face ??????

Reply privately

over a year ago

As harsh as this may sound....no!! My kids are the most important thing in this world

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You have a PET CAT….what does he/she eat? "

also did the cat ask you to own it ?? the vegan ethos is animals should be free

Reply privately

over a year ago

The reason I asked that question you did not seem understand my explanation (or I failed to explain clearly), to make a point I asked that question. Other than, thank you for asking question then

Yes you failed to explain clearly. What point were you trying to make by asking that question? "

Because you did not seem to understand my point, I thought you are probably a person that does everything for his/her/their child. I thought you would choose your child’s life before any other child’s life. To be sure, I asked that question. Of you were a person like a person I thought, then I could understand why you did not understand my explanation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

As harsh as this may sound....no!! My kids are the most important thing in this world"

I doubt there’s a person alive who wouldn’t say the same thing. It’s not harsh it’s natural. And if they didn’t say the same thing they wouldn’t be my kinda people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I hope you are not one of these ethical vegans who still jump on a plane to go on holiday a few times a year? You can eat burger everyday for the rest of your life and it still wouldnt be as bad as a return transatlantic flight"

Nope. The main reason for climate change is meat consumption. Even before transportation. I suggest to look at figures.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I explained up there. You can find it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Yes you failed to explain clearly. What point were you trying to make by asking that question?

Because you did not seem to understand my point, I thought you are probably a person that does everything for his/her/their child. I thought you would choose your child’s life before any other child’s life. To be sure, I asked that question. Of you were a person like a person I thought, then I could understand why you did not understand my explanation. "

Is there any other person?!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's an interesting question. The OP said the cat was rescued and neutered so he is doing his bit to deal with a problem that someone else has created (abandoning a cat at a shelter). That seems fair enough but in terms of suffering, surely euthanasia the cat is going to cause less suffering than keeping it alive to be fed for years with other dead animals?

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You have a PET CAT….what does he/she eat?

also did the cat ask you to own it ?? the vegan ethos is animals should be free"

Again, explained…

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You have a PET CAT….what does he/she eat?

That's an interesting question. The OP said the cat was rescued and neutered so he is doing his bit to deal with a problem that someone else has created (abandoning a cat at a shelter). That seems fair enough but in terms of suffering, surely euthanasia the cat is going to cause less suffering than keeping it alive to be fed for years with other dead animals?

Mr"

Thats is something I can understand but I guess I cannot accept that. Definitely reasonable tho.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Because you did not seem to understand my point, I thought you are probably a person that does everything for his/her/their child. I thought you would choose your child’s life before any other child’s life. To be sure, I asked that question. Of you were a person like a person I thought, then I could understand why you did not understand my explanation.

Is there any other person?!! "

And the fact is is you wouldn’t answer my question. Regardless and irrelevant of what my thoughts are on your ethics. There was no point to understand. It was a simple question. Not a debate on which children should be worth more than others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As harsh as this may sound....no!! My kids are the most important thing in this world

I doubt there’s a person alive who wouldn’t say the same thing. It’s not harsh it’s natural. And if they didn’t say the same thing they wouldn’t be my kinda people. "

Exactly!! My kids didn't ask to be born, but I wanted them so it's up to me to do everything I can to protect them. I served in the army for 13yrs to provide for them. I would gladly, just like most parents, give my life for them!! My kind of people who put their kids first too

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

I hope you are not one of these ethical vegans who still jump on a plane to go on holiday a few times a year? You can eat burger everyday for the rest of your life and it still wouldnt be as bad as a return transatlantic flight

Nope. The main reason for climate change is meat consumption. Even before transportation. I suggest to look at figures. "

I have, extensively and it isn't. Even if it was, the planet is not able to feed humans on monoculture, especially in the absence of organic shit.

Be thankful you are able to make food choices, you are part of a tiny minority of humans that are able to enjoy that freedom and wealth, the vast majority eat what's available, not what or when they choose.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And the fact is is you wouldn’t answer my question. Regardless and irrelevant of what my thoughts are on your ethics. There was no point to understand. It was a simple question. Not a debate on which children should be worth more than others. "

I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION MULTIPLE TIMES. I can answer again, no, my child’s life, my parent life’s, or my life is not important than any other livings. Simple question, simple answer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nope. The main reason for climate change is meat consumption. Even before transportation. I suggest to look at figures.

I have, extensively and it isn't. Even if it was, the planet is not able to feed humans on monoculture, especially in the absence of organic shit.

Be thankful you are able to make food choices, you are part of a tiny minority of humans that are able to enjoy that freedom and wealth, the vast majority eat what's available, not what or when they choose."

What? We are using huge amount of plants to feed those cows. Actually if we were using those plants to feed people instead of cows, there would not be a hungry problem in the world. Suggest you to check the figures again.

Reply privately

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

Nope. The main reason for climate change is meat consumption. Even before transportation. I suggest to look at figures. "

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

And the fact is is you wouldn’t answer my question. Regardless and irrelevant of what my thoughts are on your ethics. There was no point to understand. It was a simple question. Not a debate on which children should be worth more than others.

I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION MULTIPLE TIMES. I can answer again, no, my child’s life, my parent life’s, or my life is not important than any other livings. Simple question, simple answer. "

No need to shout and that’s not true. You’re actually annoying me now so I’ll leave you to it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

"

https://ourworldindata.org/environmental-impacts-of-food

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

Be thankful you are able to make food choices, you are part of a tiny minority of humans that are able to enjoy that freedom and wealth, the vast majority eat what's available, not what or when they choose.

What? We are using huge amount of plants to feed those cows. Actually if we were using those plants to feed people instead of cows, there would not be a hungry problem in the world. Suggest you to check the figures again."

The soy that cattle are fed is left over from human consumption production as is the by products of beer and other foods that would otherwise go to waste.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION MULTIPLE TIMES. I can answer again, no, my child’s life, my parent life’s, or my life is not important than any other livings. Simple question, simple answer.

No need to shout and that’s not true. You’re actually annoying me now so I’ll leave you to it. "

Did not shout. Just want to be clear. Thanks for asking questions

Reply privately

over a year ago

What? We are using huge amount of plants to feed those cows. Actually if we were using those plants to feed people instead of cows, there would not be a hungry problem in the world. Suggest you to check the figures again.

The soy that cattle are fed is left over from human consumption production as is the by products of beer and other foods that would otherwise go to waste.

"

I dont know where you got this information but here an article published in science. Hope you would read it:

https://www.science.org/doi/pdf/10.1126/science.aaq0216

Reply privately

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

"

I have just skimmed read some of that report. Here is a quote from it

Indeed, energy, whether in the form of electricity, heat, transport or industrial processes, account for the majority – 76% – of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not sure ehical and vegan fit together...

Reply privately

over a year ago

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

Indeed, energy, whether in the form of electricity, heat, transport or industrial processes, account for the majority – 76% – of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions."

Great. Now read it deeply, and you would see that the majority of the 76% also occurs because of the livestocks. For example we are using transportation to carry meat and so on. Read all of the report carefully then we can continue to discuss.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

"Not sure ehical and vegan fit together..."

Hypocrite fits nicely though….oooshhh

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Avacodos ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

ive been vegi for 36 years my sister been vegan for 30 years (before the fashion crowd) more and more will turn if the currant new crop stop preaching its the way the world is going my husband is a meat eater but nearly vegi and showing an interest in vegan as am i

but it those that preach to tell everyone they are wrong that does the damage ....farming of animals and fishing will be a dying trade climate change will take care of that but 1000's of years of meat eating is not going to be undone in a hurry ...

op you said you wanted to talk but your just hammering others opinions down + 3 years of being vegam is harly a place to be telling others how to eat or live you will never get things across by preaching it dont and wont work work ..

youve only been here 2 weeks (unless youve been here before) no vegan post end well on here ....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Avacodos ?"

I explained them. Please read the thread.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

Indeed, energy, whether in the form of electricity, heat, transport or industrial processes, account for the majority – 76% – of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

Great. Now read it deeply, and you would see that the majority of the 76% also occurs because of the livestocks. For example we are using transportation to carry meat and so on. Read all of the report carefully then we can continue to discuss. "

I'll pop the link over after this, I can only paste one thing at a time...

By financial value, soy meal exceeds that of soy oil. Only 11-18% (depending on variety etc.) of processed soy beans by weight is oil. However, the growing global human population has an ever-growing need for more soy oil and palm oil. Since humans use c. 100% of the oil (80% in food), it seems probable that any reduction in soy meal use in livestock would not result in a corresponding reduction in the area of land growing soy beans, unless it was accompanied by an even greater increase in palm oil production, than currently occurs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

UK

27% transportation

21% Energy supply

17% business

15% residential

10% agriculture

Great. Now read it deeply, and you would see that the majority of the 76% also occurs because of the livestocks. For example we are using transportation to carry meat and so on. Read all of the report carefully then we can continue to discuss.

I'll pop the link over after this, I can only paste one thing at a time...

By financial value, soy meal exceeds that of soy oil. Only 11-18% (depending on variety etc.) of processed soy beans by weight is oil. However, the growing global human population has an ever-growing need for more soy oil and palm oil. Since humans use c. 100% of the oil (80% in food), it seems probable that any reduction in soy meal use in livestock would not result in a corresponding reduction in the area of land growing soy beans, unless it was accompanied by an even greater increase in palm oil production, than currently occurs.

"

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/dairy-cows-livestock-behind-growth-soya-south-america/

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Vegans should stop preaching...

Reply privately

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

Be vegan if you want people

Just dont jump on fecking planes if you want do some real good

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Op your answers are very hypocritical to what you are saying….You should of done your home work beforehand….The whole ETHICAL vegan doesn’t wash with us….we say it as we see it…you have proved beyond reasonable doubt…that what you practice is the total opposite of what you preach….

Reply privately

over a year ago

Source?"

You can’t have source, it’s not vegan

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Veganism will be the death of the planet...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"ive been vegi for 36 years my sister been vegan for 30 years (before the fashion crowd) more and more will turn if the currant new crop stop preaching its the way the world is going my husband is a meat eater but nearly vegi and showing an interest in vegan as am i

but it those that preach to tell everyone they are wrong that does the damage ....farming of animals and fishing will be a dying trade climate change will take care of that but 1000's of years of meat eating is not going to be undone in a hurry ...

op you said you wanted to talk but your just hammering others opinions down + 3 years of being vegam is harly a place to be telling others how to eat or live you will never get things across by preaching it dont and wont work work ..

youve only been here 2 weeks (unless youve been here before) no vegan post end well on here ...."

Actually I became vegan first like 20 years before. I am only ethical vegan for 3 years.

But I tried to express only my opinion here. And I just really want to answer questions. I did not try to turn anyone to vegan. I tried not to criticise any other thoughts. If I did it, sorry it wasnt my intention.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/10/21 21:12:11]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kudos to you for being an ethical vegan, I tried and failed miserably, (for the joy of eating bacon, eggs, lamb, fish, chicken,... dishes a bit too much)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

"Be vegan if you want people

Just dont jump on fecking planes if you want do some real good"

There is plenty all of us can do/avoid to lessen our impact on this planet, changing our diets is a tiny one but if we stopped eating imported and processed food, eat to live, stop over eating, see occasional hunger as a good thing and stop pretending that one specific diet is a cure all, we would all be in a better place.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Ethical vegan?

Preachers ..

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I love eating vegetables and fungi. Make veg the star of any meal. Grow your own like I do (organically). Make compost. Eat mess meat. It’s simple and yes healthier…probably.

But to save the planet for our benefit change your life and work with your community.

Avoid processed food, meat or plant based.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is plenty all of us can do/avoid to lessen our impact on this planet, changing our diets is a tiny one but if we stopped eating imported and processed food, eat to live, stop over eating, see occasional hunger as a good thing and stop pretending that one specific diet is a cure all, we would all be in a better place. "

Thats is definitely correct except this part “changing our diets is a tiny one”.

Read the article in science mate.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I love eating vegetables and fungi. Make veg the star of any meal. Grow your own like I do (organically). Make compost. Eat mess meat. It’s simple and yes healthier…probably.

But to save the planet for our benefit change your life and work with your community.

Avoid processed food, meat or plant based."

In a flat ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I love eating vegetables and fungi. Make veg the star of any meal. Grow your own like I do (organically). Make compost. Eat mess meat. It’s simple and yes healthier…probably.

Avoid processed food, meat or plant based."

Actually some vegans believe that reducing the consumption is the best thing even better than being vegan. I did not do reading enough about it so I cannot say anything.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

In a flat ?"

Flat?

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is plenty all of us can do/avoid to lessen our impact on this planet, changing our diets is a tiny one but if we stopped eating imported and processed food, eat to live, stop over eating, see occasional hunger as a good thing and stop pretending that one specific diet is a cure all, we would all be in a better place. "

Btw, if you would like to discuss more, please dont hesitate send me a message. I believe there are things I can learn from you too.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Actually some vegans believe that reducing the consumption is the best thing even better than being vegan. I did not do reading enough about it so I cannot say anything. "

Stay slim

Reply privately

over a year ago

vegan man out on the plains of africa comes across a lion the lion eats the vegan because he could not kill the lion ..

being vegan is not alway a clear picture you want to save all animals by not harming yet half the animal kingdom is aquipped to do just that ..kill ..eat .... if there are no preditors then the earth will fail as it gets over populated

this was nicked from a book i once read trying to think what book now think it was david attenbrough not 100% sure

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Actually some vegans believe that reducing the consumption is the best thing even better than being vegan. I did not do reading enough about it so I cannot say anything.

Stay slim"

Stay slim?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hampshire

There is plenty all of us can do/avoid to lessen our impact on this planet, changing our diets is a tiny one but if we stopped eating imported and processed food, eat to live, stop over eating, see occasional hunger as a good thing and stop pretending that one specific diet is a cure all, we would all be in a better place.

Thats is definitely correct except this part “changing our diets is a tiny one”.

Read the article in science mate. "

Mate? We are not actually friends so are you assuming you're talking to the man of this couple?

Do you think eating your imported and processed food is more ethical and saves more animals than eating seasonal and local?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Mate? We are not actually friends so are you assuming you're talking to the man of this couple?

Do you think eating your imported and processed food is more ethical and saves more animals than eating seasonal and local?"

Good point.. the avacado eating hypocrisy

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why are vegan recipes flavoured like meat products?

Meat free bacon

Meat free sausages

Meat substitute food stuff, all flavoured to taste like the animals vegans are fighting against.

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

I'm not vegan, I'm not veggie. I don't know the OP. But...

Could we cut the OP some slack please? I've just read through this entire thread and I see the OP trying to explain his point of view, admitting that he's not perfect, admitting that there are some things he's considered but wouldn't actually know exactly how he'd react unless that situation occurred.

Some of the other posters have been asking good questions out of genuine interest, but it strikes me that some are pushing and pushing just to prove that the guy isn't perfect, when he's already said he isn't. He's obviously trying to do what he considers right, what he considers ethical, but sometimes there just isn't a right answer (lookup "trolley problem" on Wikipedia). By contrast, many of us while thinking we are pretty decent people, don't even think about the complexities of all this stuff.

The OP is trying, most of us don't. So maybe have a bit less of the probing and trying to trip the guy up? Peace and love people. xx

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"I'm not vegan, I'm not veggie. I don't know the OP. But...

Could we cut the OP some slack please? I've just read through this entire thread and I see the OP trying to explain his point of view, admitting that he's not perfect, admitting that there are some things he's considered but wouldn't actually know exactly how he'd react unless that situation occurred.

Some of the other posters have been asking good questions out of genuine interest, but it strikes me that some are pushing and pushing just to prove that the guy isn't perfect, when he's already said he isn't. He's obviously trying to do what he considers right, what he considers ethical, but sometimes there just isn't a right answer (lookup "trolley problem" on Wikipedia). By contrast, many of us while thinking we are pretty decent people, don't even think about the complexities of all this stuff.

The OP is trying, most of us don't. So maybe have a bit less of the probing and trying to trip the guy up? Peace and love people. xx"

Nah. It’s a debate. If his argument crashes and burns? So be it. X

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you think eating your imported and processed food is more ethical and saves more animals than eating seasonal and local?"

I did not assume anything. I am saying mate, dude to anyone. If it offends you sorry about unnecessary chumminess.

And second question; nope, never thought like that. Eating local and seasonal is really really important, and necessary of you want to be completely ethical.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

The OP is trying, most of us don't. So maybe have a bit less of the probing and trying to trip the guy up? Peace and love people. xx

Nah. It’s a debate. If his argument crashes and burns? So be it. X"

you can’t trip someone up who refuses to tie their own shoe laces and ends up tripping over all by themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The OP is trying, most of us don't. So maybe have a bit less of the probing and trying to trip the guy up? Peace and love people. xx"

yet the op is not cutting anyone else any slack its his view or no ones ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

You are so nice

Love you :D

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why are vegan recipes flavoured like meat products?

Meat free bacon

Meat free sausages

Meat substitute food stuff, all flavoured to taste like the animals vegans are fighting against."

It is not easy to stop eating animal products immediately. Food is a culture. So it helps some vegan, allows them a more smooth transitions.

Some other vegan loves the taste of meat but the just think harming a living is not worth for it.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Great post OP… Opinions will divide us, but love with bring us all closer together.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

" Great post OP… Opinions will divide us, but love with bring us all closer together. "

Dinner won’t.

Reply privately

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

" Great post OP… Opinions will divide us, but love with bring us all closer together.

Dinner won’t."

No….but dessert will

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

If someone puts out an “ethical AMA” then surely the purpose of that thread is to test the boundaries of that ethical belief system?

If it is consistent then I would subscribe to it because I have never found a belief system that is not fundamentally flawed with inconsistencies. I won’t be subscribing to the OPs for that reason either.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

" Great post OP… Opinions will divide us, but love with bring us all closer together.

Dinner won’t.

No….but dessert will "

Not if it is egg custard

Reply privately

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Hello all fabbers. I have been an ethical vegan for more than 3 years. I have became vegan not because of dietary choices or anything. It is a fact that animals feel sadness, fear, happiness, anxiety, and all other feelings that humans are capable to feel. Since, I dont want to hurt or harm any of the livings that feel like me, I chose to be vegan and I have been trying to buy and consume nothing that exploit animals.

If you wonder anything about veganism, I would be happy to answer your questions. "

Do you believe all species are created equal ?

What’s your views on hunting for food ?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

If you put yourself on a pedestal then..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apols if asked ...

Is eating a bee okay?

Insects seem to be a grey area for some vegans but honey is typically a nono, which seems inconsistent.

Also

Is feeding meat to a dog okay ? (Should I even have a dog ?)

Reply privately

over a year ago

If someone puts out an “ethical AMA” then surely the purpose of that thread is to test the boundaries of that ethical belief system?

If it is consistent then I would subscribe to it because I have never found a belief system that is not fundamentally flawed with inconsistencies. I won’t be subscribing to the OPs for that reason either.

"

The problem here I guess is that you thought I said that I am totally ethical. Being an ethical vegan doesnt make you all ethical. I said “I am an ethical vegan” because I was expecting question about ethical veganism not about my ethical boundaries.

If you want to learn ethical veganism, there are many sources from great philosophers, it would be better to learn this movement from them

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hello all fabbers. I have been an ethical vegan for more than 3 years. I have became vegan not because of dietary choices or anything. It is a fact that animals feel sadness, fear, happiness, anxiety, and all other feelings that humans are capable to feel. Since, I dont want to hurt or harm any of the livings that feel like me, I chose to be vegan and I have been trying to buy and consume nothing that exploit animals.

If you wonder anything about veganism, I would be happy to answer your questions.

What’s your views on hunting for food ? "

I dont believe all species are created….

Hunting for food I guess more ethical than going to shop and buying meat

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"ive been vegi for 36 years my sister been vegan for 30 years (before the fashion crowd) more and more will turn if the currant new crop stop preaching its the way the world is going my husband is a meat eater but nearly vegi and showing an interest in vegan as am i

youve only been here 2 weeks (unless youve been here before) no vegan post end well on here ...."

He's getting loads of abuse. Why? His opinions mihht eind skne people up, but some of the personal shit is a bit much.

The interpretation that he's shoving his opinions down other people's throats is harsh too. By virtue of answering questions he has to state whatss informed his stance. Whihkads to goingg into his beliefs, and his selection of facts and feeling. Knocking him for this when he can't avoid doing so in order to answer questions is an absolutely absurd thing to attack him with.

And sutely it doesnt matter how long he's been an ethical vegan comlared to someone eelse who's been a vegan for longer is myopic, irrelevent and dare i say it carries shades of narcissim.

Why can't people play nice.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Apols if asked ...

Is eating a bee okay?

Insects seem to be a grey area for some vegans but honey is typically a nono, which seems inconsistent.

Also

Is feeding meat to a dog okay ? (Should I even have a dog ?)

"

From ethical veganism perspective;

Eating bee is not ok. Honey is also not vegan.

Feeding meat to a dog is ok, because humankind cause a evolution for dogs that some of them cannot hunt. However, pets and all other domestic animals have to go extinct. The existence of domestic animals is not ethical.

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I am not a vegan and am never likely to be, in fact I’m probably most vegans worst nightmare but I am grateful to live in a country where we are freely able to make these choices, as long as you are happy with your choices OP then good for you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

youve only been here 2 weeks (unless youve been here before) no vegan post end well on here ....

He's getting loads of abuse. Why? His opinions mihht eind skne people up, but some of the personal shit is a bit much.

The interpretation that he's shoving his opinions down other people's throats is harsh too. By virtue of answering questions he has to state whatss informed his stance. Whihkads to goingg into his beliefs, and his selection of facts and feeling. Knocking him for this when he can't avoid doing so in order to answer questions is an absolutely absurd thing to attack him with.

And sutely it doesnt matter how long he's been an ethical vegan comlared to someone eelse who's been a vegan for longer is myopic, irrelevent and dare i say it carries shades of narcissim.

Why can't people play nice. "

I did not think that I am getting lots of abuse I got more serious abuses before.

This reaction I got is normal I think. Because, they feel I am attacking to their cultural codes. For example I have never said I am great ethical person but lots of people thought I said that. Not criticise anyone tho. probably I would feel the same way.

Thanks for your post anyway.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

The problem here I guess is that you thought I said that I am totally ethical. Being an ethical vegan doesnt make you all ethical. I said “I am an ethical vegan” because I was expecting question about ethical veganism not about my ethical boundaries.

If you want to learn ethical veganism, there are many sources from great philosophers, it would be better to learn this movement from them "

100% agree we have different definitions of ethical boundaries. Personally I think if you are going to make a statement about your ethics then it should be an all encompassing thing and being able to mix and match seems weird to me but I can empathise with your position although it is not for me.

Reply privately

By *dalisqueWoman
over a year ago

land of make believe

"I am not a vegan and am never likely to be, in fact I’m probably most vegans worst nightmare but I am grateful to live in a country where we are freely able to make these choices, as long as you are happy with your choices OP then good for you. "

Reply privately

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What’s your views on hunting for food ?

I dont believe all species are created….

Hunting for food I guess more ethical than going to shop and buying meat "

But you believe all species should have equal rights , regardless of how they came into being ? So a mosquito , a human ,a virus, an alien species in another galaxy all have the same rights to be free from ensll*vement , torture and murder ? Or you believe there’s a hierarchy with humans at the top who decide who has what rights ?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Self appointed veganism expert will always get a reaction.

If you put yourself up as an authority then be prepared to be challenged...

Reply privately