Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Selective phrase acceptance

Jump to newest

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Over the past few days (well years really) both on and off fab, I've noticed how certain words and phrases are accepted in one situation but denied in another, despite the meaning and application still the same.

Your/Their loss, for example, I've seen this get ridiculed and torn to shreds whenever it's mentioned that a man has said it after being rejected. However it is used quite heavily when attempting to cheer somebody up and make them feel better about rejection.

This is not a men vs women or whatever debate just one of the better examples when this occurs.

I'm not really sure what or where this discussion will go, but just a thought that came to mind that I'd express. However feel free to discuss or go further with it if you so wish.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

That's just purely a context thing.

Someone saying it to the person who rejected them is just being a dick, and trying to make the other person feel bad or like they made a mistake.

Saying it to someone who has been rejected is just trying to comfort them and isn't trying to influence or make the rejector (is that a word?) feel bad.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Context definitely applies to a lot of it.

But generally they are good warning signs, like somebody who refers to themselves as an alpha, or a woman who says "I'm picky".

Best off just avoiding them. Probably not worth the inevitable frustration.

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"That's just purely a context thing.

Someone saying it to the person who rejected them is just being a dick, and trying to make the other person feel bad or like they made a mistake.

Saying it to someone who has been rejected is just trying to comfort them and isn't trying to influence or make the rejector (is that a word?) feel bad. "

Its application is context but the actual responses to the use are what makes the reasoning behind it selective.

"how can it be a loss when you didn't have it or want it first" is usually said, but it applies to both sides and uses. The context of the intent is different, the reasoning is still the same. Hence why its selective use.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

It’s just one of the many double standards held

But as they say, all is fair and love and war. You can’t change the game

Post new Message to Thread