Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Lonely this Christmas

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No its not the MUD song of the same name. Just a thinking out loud, so for the first time since my divorce 5 years ago I have been allowed to have my kids Christmas eve through to Christmas morning. Usually I have them from 1pm Christmas day as I always cook the dinner through to new years day. Result I thought, I actually get to see them all excited Christmas morning. Then it dawned on me. When they go back to there mam Christmas afternoon, with no other family and my friends going away I will be alone over Christmas. Anybody else in the same situation? Its strange because I have always invited a different person who I know will be alone to join me and my children for Christmas Dinner. But this year its me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

That’s a sad thought, but it’s only an afternoon really,

Turn it around and make the most of the peace xx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It can be an adjustment if you're not used to it. But it can be just another day - one to reflect, be grateful. If the weather is nice it can be beautiful walking when everything is still.

And you'll have the afterglow of having your kids with you - hopefully that will help carry you through.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’ve been alone over Christmas several times over the past few years. It can be hard but the thing that makes it even harder is the level of expectation that is placed on it by yourself and others.

Ultimately it’s just another day, it’s all of the noise around it that makes it difficult.

You’ve got your children for the noise and excitement, that will be special. Once they’re gone, plan something nice and special for you. A nice meal, something to drink, what to watch, maybe a friend or two, then it’s over, done and you will have survived.

Christmas on your own is all about managing your expectations, taking the experience for what it is and allowing the day to be what it is.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Ask yourself how do you like to spend some alone time (assuming you do sometimes)? Do you like to go for a walk (a walk on Christmas day you see the world in a different light)? Is there a hobby at home you like to do? Do you like to watch movies or play computer games? Basically make it a Me afternoon with a focus and itinerary. Maybe a beer in the a nice bubbly bath? Just fill the afternoon in advance with things you like to do alone and little treats. That way your suitability distracted doing things you like.

over a year ago

Why not invite a neighbour round??

By *hostwolfMan
over a year ago

Scarborough

I don't have kids or any family that im close to I just use Christmas as a day to reflect and look at what I want to achieve in the next year

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Have you thought about volunteering your time to a charity, people less fortunate than yourself?…Just a passing thought

over a year ago

I actually had a bit of a thought a few years back about the things I enjoyed around that time of year. Treat wise I enjoyed them in the nice cold setting of the season (festive drinks and food etc) but most of all seeing loved ones, most of which I met up with throughout the month. So the actual day, although lovely, wasn't the whole thing at all.

Maybe enjoy the 'you' time? Or visit an old folks home and brighten up their day with some chocs and lovely conversation?

You will be fine man

By *nigmatic_AngelWoman
over a year ago

The place where fairies live

"No its not the MUD song of the same name. Just a thinking out loud, so for the first time since my divorce 5 years ago I have been allowed to have my kids Christmas eve through to Christmas morning. Usually I have them from 1pm Christmas day as I always cook the dinner through to new years day. Result I thought, I actually get to see them all excited Christmas morning. Then it dawned on me. When they go back to there mam Christmas afternoon, with no other family and my friends going away I will be alone over Christmas. Anybody else in the same situation? Its strange because I have always invited a different person who I know will be alone to join me and my children for Christmas Dinner. But this year its me "

We always shared... Either Christmas eve and Christmas day morning.. Or Christmas day lunch and dinner and boxing day.

So I've often spent that time alone. I've tended to do something special for me in my free time.. Personally it's hot tub, dog walk, smoked salmon and gorgeous cheese board.

This year their dad is away all Christmas so I've got them both for the first time in 22 years!

Make some plans just for you. Treat yourself x

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm usually alone at Christmas. You are very lucky that you have children

over a year ago

Same, used to get me down cause the focus is so much on family and togetherness but now I just try to put it to back of my mind, it's only one day. ??

over a year ago

"I'm usually alone at Christmas. You are very lucky that you have children "

I can't find the hug emoji but massive hug!!!!

over a year ago

"Same, used to get me down cause the focus is so much on family and togetherness but now I just try to put it to back of my mind, it's only one day. ??"

It is yes

over a year ago

"No its not the MUD song of the same name. Just a thinking out loud, so for the first time since my divorce 5 years ago I have been allowed to have my kids Christmas eve through to Christmas morning. Usually I have them from 1pm Christmas day as I always cook the dinner through to new years day. Result I thought, I actually get to see them all excited Christmas morning. Then it dawned on me. When they go back to there mam Christmas afternoon, with no other family and my friends going away I will be alone over Christmas. Anybody else in the same situation? Its strange because I have always invited a different person who I know will be alone to join me and my children for Christmas Dinner. But this year its me "

I get what you're saying OP..l really do but remember you have something that so so many people would love to have not only at Christmas but all year ..your own place ..be grateful for the simple things ..l know those that aren't even able to bring their kids for Christmas dinner cause all they can afford to rent is a room .

over a year ago

"I'm usually alone at Christmas. You are very lucky that you have children "
awww your welcome to come to mine Xmas evening you not that far from me x

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I'm usually alone at Christmas. You are very lucky that you have children awww your welcome to come to mine Xmas evening you not that far from me x"

Ooh, you lovely lady, what a kind offer.

Maybe this thread could match up lonely others

over a year ago

I was alone last Christmas in my own home. Normally I would have gone to my parents but lockdown meant I couldn't go. I enjoyed being at home too, however I do suffer with loneliness sometimes. It would be nice to find someone special to spend Xmas with but overall I just don't do xmas anymore. I don't enjoy it as a single woman

By *evonshireboyMan
over a year ago

North Devon

When I've been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have Xmas day to myself I've taken my motorbike out for a damn good thrashing over the moors. It's great, as you don't see a car for hours!

Then I come home, open a decent bottle of red and watch Die Hard ??

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

One year, inbetween girlfriends, I was alone. I had cheese & beans on toast for ma dinner, ma dog eat better than me

By *ottoncandy42Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Have some me time if nothing else x

over a year ago

Make the morning as daft and as messy as possible. Throw wrapping paper, pop party bangers.

You have time to clean up, and you'll laugh your heads off.

Post new Message to Thread