Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tradesmen

Jump to newest

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

What is the most your willing to pay for power tools?

Do you go budget, middle of the road or don't hesitate to pay for the best?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

So, certain power tools i buy makita- basically anything battery powered as it last and lasts and i can have a 5 plate charger and always have a battery.

Anything corded i buy b&q home brand 'mcalister', such as tile cutters, corded drills, ground breakers ect.. reason being if and when it breaks into store i pop and just exchange it.

Ive had such bad luck with bosch power tools theyre crap and its such a fight when they break.

My makita drill has been in the rain, dropped in cement buckets, dropped from 2 flights up and still goes

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Stick with which ever battery platform your on

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

If it's something for a one off job at home I go budget as it'll spend more time in the garage than working.

If it's something like a drill, grinder, multitool, test equipment that I'll use daily I spend what I need to spend. You'll always get the DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee debate but each to their own.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Stick with which ever battery platform your on"

Yeah always been a Makita head.

Nearly all my kit is Makita except a Milwaukee multi tool which I regret buying it's rubbish always overheating.

Anyways

I dropped my cordless saw today and it's twisted so I have to now fight to keep it in a straight line.

Really want to treat myself to a cordless mafell plunge saw and rail's but it's incredibly expensive.

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

Makita or Milwaukee for me. Personal preferences though. Got lads at work that are fully kitted out with Dewalt gear. What are you looking for?

over a year ago

"So, certain power tools i buy makita- basically anything battery powered as it last and lasts and i can have a 5 plate charger and always have a battery.

Anything corded i buy b&q home brand 'mcalister', such as tile cutters, corded drills, ground breakers ect.. reason being if and when it breaks into store i pop and just exchange it.

Ive had such bad luck with bosch power tools theyre crap and its such a fight when they break.

My makita drill has been in the rain, dropped in cement buckets, dropped from 2 flights up and still goes "

Agree, Makita for battery powered generally - though I have B&D 36v battery for garden tools and they are great

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Makita or Milwaukee for me. Personal preferences though. Got lads at work that are fully kitted out with Dewalt gear. What are you looking for?"

Just being nosey.

Not really looking for anything already have three of everything, cordless, cheap cordless, and corded.

But I only have one cordless saw.

I am also thinking of getting the new hikoki cordless 36v 1/2 router look's fecking awesome.

over a year ago

Festool, because I can.

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Stick with which ever battery platform your on

Nearly all my kit is Makita except a Milwaukee multi tool which I regret buying it's rubbish always overheating.

Anyways

I dropped my cordless saw today and it's twisted so I have to now fight to keep it in a straight line.

Really want to treat myself to a cordless mafell plunge saw and rail's but it's incredibly expensive."

I bought the Mafell plunge saw (110v) but didn’t like it. Wasn’t cutting accurate enough for what I do. So sent it back and stuck with Festool. It does have more power than Festool though!

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I've had a Bosch corded hammer drill for over 30 years and it's going strong

over a year ago

Can’t go wrong with erbauer, reasonable price and 2 year warranty straight switch over the counter with Screwfix if it fucks up!

By *urtyGentMan
over a year ago

eastleigh

"Festool, because I can."

Festool gear is meant to be absolutely elite

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Anyways

Really want to treat myself to a cordless mafell plunge saw and rail's but it's incredibly expensive.

I bought the Mafell plunge saw (110v) but didn’t like it. Wasn’t cutting accurate enough for what I do. So sent it back and stuck with Festool. It does have more power than Festool though!"

I thought the big selling point for the mafell was it's accuracy?

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Anyways

I bought the Mafell plunge saw (110v) but didn’t like it. Wasn’t cutting accurate enough for what I do. So sent it back and stuck with Festool. It does have more power than Festool though!

I thought the big selling point for the mafell was it's accuracy?"

Still got pictures on my phone of it cutting off line. Only a mil here and there but not great for scribing wall panelling.

By *tamina GentMan
over a year ago

Fareham

Festool do a sanding machine which is the bees knees….the best

By *rad670Man
over a year ago

South Lakes

I have a sliding scale, whichever jobs I do most often and earn more money for me the more I spend on the tools for that type of job. Something I may do just a few times a year are at the budget end. If I get a big budget job that would be made quicker by purchasing another tool then I use the job to fund it.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I have a Makita cordless router 1/4inch

I really hate it, cost a fair bit but just can't get on with it.

Baseplate is round and too small I find trying to cut hinge's a real faff as keeping it flat is awkward.

My work colleague has a Ryobi one and it's was a third of the price of the Makita and a far superior design.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Quality every time. Festool.

If I'm on a budget, Makita.

Post new Message to Thread