Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Halloween Decorations "Too Scary"?

Jump to newest

By *unandgamegeek OP   Man
over a year ago

Bolton

Just read an article about some parents in Australia complaining about Halloween decorations in a Woolworths supermarket being "too scary" and are "frightening" their kids.

What were these "scary" decorations you may ask? Well, from what I saw in the photos, it was just a couple of hooded skeletons hanging from the ceiling.

To be honest, that is not scary at all as I've seen more "scarier" decorations than that at B&M and other supermarkets and I've not seen anyone complaining about them.

I don't understand why some parents have to complain about something like this.

Wouldn't it be better if they explained to their kids that what they're frightened of isn't real?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Bolton

What are anyone's thoughts on this?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Someone should tell the woollys went bankrupt

over a year ago

Bolton

"Someone should tell the woollys went bankrupt "

Not in Australia.

over a year ago

"Someone should tell the woollys went bankrupt

Not in Australia."

It was ment to be a joke

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Someone will 'always' complain.

For some it's a hobby.

over a year ago

Bolton

"Someone should tell the woollys went bankrupt

Not in Australia.

It was ment to be a joke "

Oh I get it now lol

over a year ago

Bolton

"Someone will 'always' complain.

For some it's a hobby."

It's a shame that some parents would rather complain about anything and everything rather than do some actual parenting.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Without seeing the particular items I can't comment on their level of scare factor.

As a child some things are much more scary looking than they will be to an adult (and often that applies in reverse too).

With that said, I agree. It's a great learning opportunity for parents to explain a few things. However it is very likely easier for the parents to complain, pass the blame and effort on to somebody else than actually take on the responsibility of being the parent (the most important teacher a child should have).

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I’ve seen some nasty looking stuff. I don’t mind a spooky Halloween but when it’s all supernatural, zombies, blood, axes etc I don’t think it’s appropriate for under 12s. Just my opinion.

over a year ago

I believe as a society we try too hard to protect children from everything we can. Its understandable, no one wants their child to be the one that falls out of a tree and breaks their arm or never gets to win anything at sports day. Instead we fill them full of the idea that they can be anything they want *if* they try.

Then we wonder why mental health problems are ballooning and young people struggle the most. We are obsessed with the idea that childhood is meant to be fun. It isn't, childhood is nature's way of us being able to learn about the world and how to function in it. Sure, fun and play are very important parts of this but so are struggle and hardship.

The truth is the world is a harsh place. You can't be anything you want just by trying, in fact you can try very very hard and never get anywhere close to your goals. The media only shows the few who succeed, not the majority who don't. We hear successful people tell how they worked hard and got all these riches, not the hotel cleaner who is up at 2am for a 10 hour shift of hard work at minimum wage. Uhappiness is caused by the disconnect between what we want and what we have. We literally bring our children up to be unhappy.

Totally agree with the OP. Instead of complaining and trying to sanitise the world for their kids its far better to teach them how to handle their fear, how to assess if it is reasonable or irrational. To understand that being brave isn't just not being afraid, it's being afraid and still being able to function.

Mr

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

People have to grow up if a shop is putting you off there plenty more.

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

Kill joys! Haha

over a year ago

Bolton

"Without seeing the particular items I can't comment on their level of scare factor.

As a child some things are much more scary looking than they will be to an adult (and often that applies in reverse too).

With that said, I agree. It's a great learning opportunity for parents to explain a few things. However it is very likely easier for the parents to complain, pass the blame and effort on to somebody else than actually take on the responsibility of being the parent (the most important teacher a child should have). "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10083089/Western-Australia-mother-calls-Woolworths-inappropriate-Halloween-display-scaring-kids.html

This should help as it has photos of what the parents are complaining about.

Post new Message to Thread