Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cooking for one

Jump to newest

By *gent Coulson OP   Man
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

Are you stuck in a rut cooking the same thing week in week out, do you meal plan and change it up week by week.

How do you singletons motivate yourselves to eat a proper meal as apposed to a freezer full of ready meals

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I eat alot of cereal lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Batch cook?

Or just halve the recipe?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/10/21 13:04:38]

over a year ago

"I eat alot of cereal lol "

Same. Cooking for 1 is shit.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

If I have a decent payday and some motivation I'll go get stuff to batch cook for the month, if I don't (which is most of the time) I'll either eat at work (get free salad) or I'll have something like a cheese toastie at home.

over a year ago

Not a singleton but I eat either 2 pieces of toast a day or 1 sandwich Sunday to Friday and Saturday is ubereats pig out day

And my partner meal preps in big portions and stores it for the days she wants it

over a year ago

Not a singleton, but even when I was I'd bulk buy different meats, plan and batch cook. Will admit though, often have same-ish meals on semi-regular basis.

over a year ago

"Batch cook?

Or just halve the recipe? "

This ^^ I cook on a Saturday for the freezer and meat also. Then I either have a cooked meal or salad

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I batch cook

over a year ago

I guess I've got a rotation of regular things I cook but I like them so not an issue. I make enough for a few meals then vary the veg or rice or whatever I have with them. For variety there are so many recipes online now, I just pick one from time to time and if it's a success then it joins the standby list.

over a year ago

I really enjoy cooking for just me

I get to try recipes without having to consider if anyone else will enjoy it

over a year ago

Why cook for one when you can cook for 6

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Are you stuck in a rut cooking the same thing week in week out, do you meal plan and change it up week by week.

How do you singletons motivate yourselves to eat a proper meal as apposed to a freezer full of ready meals"

I use one of those websites that send you box of ingredients for a meal for a month subscription, it kinda fun waiting for the box to come through on a Saturday.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/10/21 13:15:03]

over a year ago

"Why cook for one when you can cook for 6 "

I'm coming round for dinner make that 7 now haha

over a year ago

I try to vary but if I've had a short month, tesco do the bbq style large sausages (2 packs for 7), 3 of those sliced up with coriander and lime rice is a firm favourite ..but if it's an OK month, oregano chicken fillets, chips and maybe beans

over a year ago

"Why cook for one when you can cook for 6 "

I do that but eat it all

By *irthandgirthMan
over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

I cook for me. I'm lucky I currently have the freedom to cook all my meals from scratch.

Love it. I just miss the sharing aspect.

over a year ago

I don't do anything.

over a year ago

Some meals I cook as a one off - for instance tonight is a take on Hunters chicken with baked baby potatoes and salad. On Sundays I normally cook something that will last me three days (I get fed up after three) - say a chilli, curry, lasagne or similar, sometimes veg sometimes with meat.It's not that hard to do balanced meals and it's better than constant take away or ready meals.

over a year ago

Those that cook and eat alone. Could you invite a friend round once a week - seeing if they want the company at theirs once a week too. How about an elderly neighbour, if it's not inviting them round just cooking and taking it round for them.

I know not everyone has a luxury to afford food for more people.

If we didn't have kids we'd definitely enjoy "dinner dates" with others who live alone.

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Yep, as others have said, definitely the batch cooking approach. Ready meals and take aways aren’t really a thing here so you have to cook most things from scratch anyway so it’s far easier to do enough for three of four meals at a time once or twice a week and then just rotate stuff in the freezer.

over a year ago

I batch cook my lunches, but do something different on evenings, especially when I have the kids as I like them to eat a variety of things instead of being in the nuggets and chips rut.

over a year ago

Batch marinade chicken before freezing is a good one (we do it). And spend the time it's cooking in the oven to make someone to add alongside. Sweet potatoe fries, homemade chips, honey roasted veg, salad

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I batch cook"

Me too, I'm type 2 so have to watch what I eat. I spend a day shopping for all ma ingredients, then the next day is spent in the kitchen, prepping and cooking a few different dishes with a bottle (or 2) of Cabernet Sauvignon, some tunes on, and I'm happy as Larry

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I have a freezer full of different stuff I've cooked - I always cook a meal as though 20 people are going to turn up unexpectedly to eat it, so I always have a lot of portions left over.

I do eat in restaurants a lot too, which helps break up any monotony that may set in.

By *ooangel8181Woman
over a year ago

notts

I cook one meal at a weekend every weekend then freeze the rest of it for the weeks ahead. Lasagna. Chills. Shep pie. Pastas. Curry etc. There’s always something to pull out and have roast veg with.

The same mainly but….. just cba to cook for one every night and I work last soooo just quickness.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

I don’t batch cook I just buy salmon fillets or lemon sole fillets then bulk it out with fresh veggies, or seafood with salad, at the weekend I might make a pizza that lasts 2 days, I don’t really buy ready cooked meals unless it’s those fresh pasta’s that you only need to boil for 3 mins then add a sauce

Post new Message to Thread