Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gender Neutral Toys

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They are bringing in a law in California's toy shops that there should be gender neutral toy aisles. What happens in US often follows here...

Is this a good idea?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

All toys are already gender neutral, arent they?

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

So go back to the good old days where you didn't have a pink and blue aisle. And Lego was a box of Lego, not Lego friends in a pink box and Lego city in a blue one?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"All toys are already gender neutral, arent they?"

I'm sure you've seen the flowchart.

Is this toy for boys or girls?

Is it operated on genitals? No - it is for boys and girls. Yes - it is not for children.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"They are bringing in a law in California's toy shops that there should be gender neutral toy aisles. What happens in US often follows here...

Is this a good idea?"

Of course it is. My beloved California has turned into an absolute shithole with rampant crime, homelessness, illegal immigration, wildfires, drought, crumbling infrastructure and a fiscal cliff. Taxes are some of the highest in the Union and so are property prices.

Instead of addressing real issues they focus on items like this

No wonder that state is lost....

over a year ago

No it's a terrible idea. How will girls and boys know which toys they should be playing with if they aren't clearly labelled?

How will little girls learn how to be good wives if the toy irons and toy kitchens are all bought by the boys?

It's a slippery slope. Next they'll be doing gender neutral clothes!!

over a year ago

"All toys are already gender neutral, arent they?"

They should be, but the marketing of them certainly isn't. They massively reinforce stereotypes usually.

over a year ago

IT'S MY LITTLE PONY NOT MY LITTLE TONY.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"No it's a terrible idea. How will girls and boys know which toys they should be playing with if they aren't clearly labelled?

How will little girls learn how to be good wives if the toy irons and toy kitchens are all bought by the boys?

It's a slippery slope. Next they'll be doing gender neutral clothes!! "

I used to decapitate my Barbies.

Except the one where the spray turned her hair pink. How the fuck, man. That's fascinating.

A stubborn child will overcome this shite

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Do we really need a toy shop, or others for that matter, to say what a child can play with or not. Definitely not just let the child play with what they choose and enjoy

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

We need a trans aisle too

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I knew a lady who dressed her children in yellow every day because she said it was gender neutral. She was horrified when her daughter gravitated to playing with dolls and blamed her husband

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

Surely we all know that the kids throw the toys to the side and just play with the boxes

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

As far as I'm concerned any child can play with any toy.

It's up to parents what they buy for them.

Kids will gravitate to what excites them as they get older and choose for themselves.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Surely we all know that the kids throw the toys to the side and just play with the boxes "

That is so true.

over a year ago

"They are bringing in a law in California's toy shops that there should be gender neutral toy aisles. What happens in US often follows here...

Is this a good idea?

Of course it is. My beloved California has turned into an absolute shithole with rampant crime, homelessness, illegal immigration, wildfires, drought, crumbling infrastructure and a fiscal cliff. Taxes are some of the highest in the Union and so are property prices.

Instead of addressing real issues they focus on items like this

No wonder that state is lost...."

It'll be something else me and Sis will be chewing the curd over - she's in San Diego

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

My brain went straight to lovehoney with this.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Don't they have these already? Aisles that have PS5, xbox, games, jigsaw, puzzles, games skateboards and so on. They go to town with the pink Barbie aisles and the boys have all the remote cars and action figures.

What will a neutral gender aisle look like? I think they only need to have 1.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Don't they have these already? Aisles that have PS5, xbox, games, jigsaw, puzzles, games skateboards and so on. They go to town with the pink Barbie aisles and the boys have all the remote cars and action figures.

What will a neutral gender aisle look like? I think they only need to have 1."

Barbie and action figures next to each other. They're all dolls.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Don't they have these already? Aisles that have PS5, xbox, games, jigsaw, puzzles, games skateboards and so on. They go to town with the pink Barbie aisles and the boys have all the remote cars and action figures.

Barbie and action figures next to each other. They're all dolls."

Will the packaging be neutral, if it isn't I'm not sure of success

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Will the packaging be neutral, if it isn't I'm not sure of success"

Don't know. Personally I think aisles that aren't a river of pink spew would be an excellent start.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Toys seem much more aggressively gendered than when I was little. While we still had action men, barbies, polly pockets, hot wheels, etc my parents used to buy a lot of gender neutral toys so me and my brother could share as it saved money.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Will the packaging be neutral, if it isn't I'm not sure of success"

Why do we need packaging at all for a doll? Surely in this day and age we should be reducing waste? And I'm sure half the time the packaging only serves to make the toy look bigger and better than it actually is. Kill two birds with one stone.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why do we need packaging at all for a doll? Surely in this day and age we should be reducing waste? And I'm sure half the time the packaging only serves to make the toy look bigger and better than it actually is. Kill two birds with one stone. "

Plus, promote the idea that Barbie can save the world and GI Joe makes a cracking cup of tea. Win win.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Why do we need packaging at all for a doll? Surely in this day and age we should be reducing waste? And I'm sure half the time the packaging only serves to make the toy look bigger and better than it actually is. Kill two birds with one stone.

Plus, promote the idea that Barbie can save the world and GI Joe makes a cracking cup of tea. Win win."

I wouldn't date anyone who couldn't make a decent cuppa

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Plus, promote the idea that Barbie can save the world and GI Joe makes a cracking cup of tea. Win win."

Hold on, I'm feeling you 2 didn't get the memo. Packaging is to protect the items in transit, if we don't have the packing the items may need to go up in price and we don't want that do we.

Secondly, the money we have spent creating the add on cups and tableware are not scaled to GI Joe, so not a starter I'm afraid. Please check your inboxes for future memos and please stay relevant

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

It just makes searching for certain toys a little longer in neutral aisles, you know when your in tesco for example trying to read the roof boards, rather than just head to the blue section

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Plus, promote the idea that Barbie can save the world and GI Joe makes a cracking cup of tea. Win win.

Hold on, I'm feeling you 2 didn't get the memo. Packaging is to protect the items in transit, if we don't have the packing the items may need to go up in price and we don't want that do we.

Secondly, the money we have spent creating the add on cups and tableware are not scaled to GI Joe, so not a starter I'm afraid. Please check your inboxes for future memos and please stay relevant "

But plastic dinosaurs and farm animals don't need packaging. And if the supermarket can get my veggies to me in a decent state with minimal packaging. I'm sure a plastic doll will be just fine. Don't worry GI Joe can use the Barbie tea set, make it white instead of pink nobody will be none the wiser.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Secondly, the money we have spent creating the add on cups and tableware are not scaled to GI Joe, so not a starter I'm afraid. Please check your inboxes for future memos and please stay relevant "

Then we need to do better for the environment, and to help boys achieve their culinary goals

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

The asylum is being run by the lunics now

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Secondly, the money we have spent creating the add on cups and tableware are not scaled to GI Joe, so not a starter I'm afraid. Please check your inboxes for future memos and please stay relevant

Then we need to do better for the environment, and to help boys achieve their culinary goals "

Relevant to the company goals, not forward thinking. No that will not do at all, I will be sending you both a link for retraining. Please complete ASAP

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Then we need to do better for the environment, and to help boys achieve their culinary goals

Relevant to the company goals, not forward thinking. No that will not do at all, I will be sending you both a link for retraining. Please complete ASAP "

Yup, it's brainwashing when it's left leaning and totally right on when it's right leaning.

Never changes

By *urvyBi-84Man
over a year ago

Lancs

"No it's a terrible idea. How will girls and boys know which toys they should be playing with if they aren't clearly labelled?

It's a slippery slope. Next they'll be doing gender neutral clothes!! "

I laughed at this and almost spat my drink over my work laptop, hahaha

over a year ago

It’s all gender neutral already but the deception is colouring of packages and designs however parental encouragement to not define gender by colour does help

My boy, when much younger, wanted a sylvanian family toy and caravan so he got it but was shunned by members of his mothers family because “it is for girls” but I reassured him it isn’t and because he loved/loves animals and caravan holidays it’s cool

over a year ago

"We need a trans aisle too "

Oh there he is

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"It’s all gender neutral already but the deception is colouring of packages and designs however parental encouragement to not define gender by colour does help

My boy, when much younger, wanted a sylvanian family toy and caravan so he got it but was shunned by members of his mothers family because “it is for girls” but I reassured him it isn’t and because he loved/loves animals and caravan holidays it’s cool "

I had similar with my lad’s father’s family. He wanted a kitchen so he could cook and care for his baby, yes had a doll as well - neither went down well with that side, but simply he was enjoying himself and learning through play at the same time.

over a year ago

Is this a good idea?"

What’s a gender neutral toy anyway? Aren’t toys just toys?

Is a furby neutral? Play doh? Seems quite ridiculous but then again in America they have to really spell everything out for you….

over a year ago

"It’s all gender neutral already but the deception is colouring of packages and designs however parental encouragement to not define gender by colour does help

My boy, when much younger, wanted a sylvanian family toy and caravan so he got it but was shunned by members of his mothers family because “it is for girls” but I reassured him it isn’t and because he loved/loves animals and caravan holidays it’s cool

I had similar with my lad’s father’s family. He wanted a kitchen so he could cook and care for his baby, yes had a doll as well - neither went down well with that side, but simply he was enjoying himself and learning through play at the same time. "

Exactly and that’s what toys are all about, whatever the child wants to play with simples some people are beyond educating

over a year ago

I used to get my dad to buy me all the barbies (so many) and sailor moon toys and wands and Polly pockets xx

Did I ever feel guilty? Not even for a moment x HAAA!

over a year ago

They need to make better toys for kids. Those LOL dolls look like hookers.

over a year ago

"They need to make better toys for kids. Those LOL dolls look like hookers. "

That's never a job they mention at school on careers day.

over a year ago

"IT'S MY LITTLE PONY NOT MY LITTLE TONY. "

Giggle

over a year ago

"They need to make better toys for kids. Those LOL dolls look like hookers.

That's never a job they mention at school on careers day. "

Very true.

over a year ago

What are they? This is really confusing.

By *randmrsmanchesterCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

All toys are gender neutral!

I would love it if they were marketed like that as well. Our kids luckily can play with what they want but some kids won’t be allowed because that’s for girls etc ….. old fashioned views.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And when the boys gravitate to guns and the girls to the cooker.. ?

By *randmrsmanchesterCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"And when the boys gravitate to guns and the girls to the cooker.. ?"

That’s fine if that’s what they want. My son loves to cook though and his little sister happily plays Army with him …

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

"And when the boys gravitate to guns and the girls to the cooker.. ?"

And? What's the problem with that?

It's just better that there's less suggestive marketing allowing kids that little more freedom and less coercion to play with what appeals to thier hearts rather than what is expected of their sex.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And if the boys gravitate to the guns and the girls to the ironing board ?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

The kid will play with what they want all bullshit my boys would play with their kitchen next to lightsaber then dinosaurs so just bullshit...

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"It just makes searching for certain toys a little longer in neutral aisles, you know when your in tesco for example trying to read the roof boards, rather than just head to the blue section "

Board games win every time, buy them monopoly, etc.

Post new Message to Thread