Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Jaffagate

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Talk of a policemen taking Jaffa cakes from the police canteen and not putting enough money in the till. If proven, should he be sacked ?.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Summary execution for this offence say I!

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Slow news day Tom ??

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Talk of a policemen taking Jaffa cakes from the police canteen and not putting enough money in the till. If proven, should he be sacked ?.

"

Maybe he was taking payment for operating the till?

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

That’s taking the biscuit

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Talk of a policemen taking Jaffa cakes from the police canteen and not putting enough money in the till. If proven, should he be sacked ?.

Maybe he was taking payment for operating the till?"

It sounds like it was more of an honesty box..

It's all over the news folks

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"That’s taking the biscuit "

Or is it a cake ?

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It's all over the news folks "

Maybe he had overpaid previously?

If it's an honesty box, how do they know how much he put in?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well we don't.

The police inquest will decide but one thing is certain..

If it's an honesty box, how do they know how much he put in?"

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

If it's an honesty box, how do they know how much he put in?"

One witness says that they only heard one clink and only 20p had been added..

It's all over the BBC news...

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Not paying is a cop out…

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

He should NOT be sacked!

Clearly, he was taking them so they could be confiscated. All Jaffa cakes should be destroyed

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

There is too little information presented in the news article to make a fair and balanced decision, which after all, is affecting not just a police officer, but his dependents as well.

It's down to their internal affairs to sort out, and they have their own guidelines to follow.

This is one of the problems with honesty boxes, especially if there is no suggested minimum donation.

Also people have to "guess" that they feel is appropriate.

I have no idea how much a box of jaffa cakes cost. I assume a box of ten is probably £1. 10 pence a cake sounds about right to me. So 20p for two sounds reasonable to me.

But in doubt, I would have said to my mate "Here, Fred, pop 20p in the box and grab me 2 jaffa's will you?"

If Fred says "That's a bit stingy", or "The sign says 50p each", then there is a least a cop out (no pun intended) or a moment for pause and thought.

over a year ago

Jaffa cakes are disgusting. He should be shot.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The policeman has been sacked for gross misconduct. It looks like he didn't put sufficient money in the box.

Does the punishment fit the crime?

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"The policeman has been sacked for gross misconduct. It looks like he didn't put sufficient money in the box.

Does the punishment fit the crime?"

Oh I feel so much safer right now.

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Reinstate the Policeman.

He was clearly just trying to confiscate the evil things.

I demand proper justice!!!

over a year ago

"The policeman has been sacked for gross misconduct. It looks like he didn't put sufficient money in the box.

Does the punishment fit the crime?"

If it's a one off mistake then no. But you will find like I did its quite a common crime by the most unexpected. The one I dealt with made the same mistake 4 days in a row and blamed the catering staff for not noticing. Turned out he wasn't the only one.

By *ussexualMan
over a year ago

Brighton

The fact that it was a charity box also has a bearing IMHO, you'd expect police to be pillars of society and not steal from charities.

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

On a serious note; Wayne Couzens displayed traits that if taken seriously may have led to action being taken earlier and prevented him from murdering Sarah Everard.

Whilst under paying for biscuits may seem trivial, is his behaviors a tell-tail sign of a more serious criminal behaviour? If his actions aren't taken seriously and he gets caught for something like a major fraud involving hundreds of thousands of pounds, there will be another public out-cry asking why this minor breach wasn't taken seriously.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

From what I’ve read he underpaid to a charity collection and continued his dishonesty when questioned.

We’ve sacked someone in the past for similar, comes down to trust and under one of the many examples of gross misconduct. If they had come clean when questioned, they would probably have got away with a final written warning.

over a year ago

"He should NOT be sacked!

Clearly, he was taking them so they could be confiscated. All Jaffa cakes should be destroyed "

over a year ago

"On a serious note; Wayne Couzens displayed traits that if taken seriously may have led to action being taken earlier and prevented him from murdering Sarah Everard.

Whilst under paying for biscuits may seem trivial, is his behaviors a tell-tail sign of a more serious criminal behaviour? If his actions aren't taken seriously and he gets caught for something like a major fraud involving hundreds of thousands of pounds, there will be another public out-cry asking why this minor breach wasn't taken seriously."

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I saw that story yesterday. Accepting that it was on the BBC so may have some bias and I'm no fan of plod...and if the BBC story is to be believed At face value... But sacking someone with 20 years service over 90p seems very very harsh... Given some of the rabid corruption and thievery that goes on all over the corporate world. Not that two wrongs make a right but I'd have given him a slap on the wrist and m25 duty and move on. Not sure it should even be made public, it's a personal employment matter.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"The fact that it was a charity box also has a bearing IMHO, you'd expect police to be pillars of society and not steal from charities. "

I don't expect police to be pillars of society. Given my experiences I have very low expectations. There seem fewer and fewer professions that imply a pillar of society. It would be nice however to see some stories about the good things they do... And I'm sure they do plenty of those. The drip drip evisceration of the thin blue line helps nobody.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"I saw that story yesterday. Accepting that it was on the BBC so may have some bias and I'm no fan of plod...and if the BBC story is to be believed At face value... But sacking someone with 20 years service over 90p seems very very harsh... Given some of the rabid corruption and thievery that goes on all over the corporate world. Not that two wrongs make a right but I'd have given him a slap on the wrist and m25 duty and move on. Not sure it should even be made public, it's a personal employment matter. "

He was in the navy 20 years only a copper since 2017

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

As with most of these types of stories, i.e. the "you'll never believe this" type that is just looking for outrage, I would be willing to bet there is much more to it than has actually been reported...

over a year ago

"There is too little information presented in the news article to make a fair and balanced decision, which after all, is affecting not just a police officer, but his dependents as well.

It's down to their internal affairs to sort out, and they have their own guidelines to follow.

This is one of the problems with honesty boxes, especially if there is no suggested minimum donation.

Also people have to "guess" that they feel is appropriate.

I have no idea how much a box of jaffa cakes cost. I assume a box of ten is probably £1. 10 pence a cake sounds about right to me. So 20p for two sounds reasonable to me.

But in doubt, I would have said to my mate "Here, Fred, pop 20p in the box and grab me 2 jaffa's will you?"

If Fred says "That's a bit stingy", or "The sign says 50p each", then there is a least a cop out (no pun intended) or a moment for pause and thought."

reads like it was 10p for two packets. Not two cakes.

And it had a price on it. Rather than a "pay what you feel is right".

over a year ago

"That’s taking the biscuit

Or is it a cake ?"

Definitely cake, proven, cakes go hard after a few day (apparently) biscuits go soft

over a year ago

I thought it was a thread about seedless jizz

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I saw that story yesterday. Accepting that it was on the BBC so may have some bias and I'm no fan of plod...and if the BBC story is to be believed At face value... But sacking someone with 20 years service over 90p seems very very harsh... Given some of the rabid corruption and thievery that goes on all over the corporate world. Not that two wrongs make a right but I'd have given him a slap on the wrist and m25 duty and move on. Not sure it should even be made public, it's a personal employment matter.

He was in the navy 20 years only a copper since 2017 "

Ahh didn't see that... Its petty theft and not a good look for the police, but still seems harsh to me. Nonetheless if that's the bar they have set for drumming staff out I look forward to the others who have falsified, misreported, been slow to respond, or committed much greater crimes being dealt with equally as harshly. Zero tolerance is not a bad thing when applied fairly to all.

over a year ago

"I saw that story yesterday. Accepting that it was on the BBC so may have some bias and I'm no fan of plod...and if the BBC story is to be believed At face value... But sacking someone with 20 years service over 90p seems very very harsh... Given some of the rabid corruption and thievery that goes on all over the corporate world. Not that two wrongs make a right but I'd have given him a slap on the wrist and m25 duty and move on. Not sure it should even be made public, it's a personal employment matter. "

How will people know that they should hate the police if the media don't report stuff like this?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I saw that story yesterday. Accepting that it was on the BBC so may have some bias and I'm no fan of plod...and if the BBC story is to be believed At face value... But sacking someone with 20 years service over 90p seems very very harsh... Given some of the rabid corruption and thievery that goes on all over the corporate world. Not that two wrongs make a right but I'd have given him a slap on the wrist and m25 duty and move on. Not sure it should even be made public, it's a personal employment matter.

How will people know that they should hate the police if the media don't report stuff like this? "

Thank the lord for the BBC

over a year ago

How will people know that they should hate the police if the media don't report stuff like this?

Thank the lord for the BBC "

And Facebook

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They have sacked the Jaffa thief

over a year ago

"Thank the lord for the BBC "

That's what she said

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Should he have been sacked ?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"Should he have been sacked ?"

No, not when you consider that a WPC who made inflammatory comments about Israel etc kept hers.

Reprimanded yes, but we are short of cops.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

No way. Biscuit crime is not a big deal.

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Please just let this post die

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

This is important.

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

Why oh why…didn’t they just eat the evidence

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Why oh why…didn’t they just eat the evidence "

Would need to be very desperate to eat one of those

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

"That’s taking the biscuit "

But, but, but it's not a biscuit... well legally it's not..

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Theft at work would be a sackable offence in most places of work that I know of, so why should the police be held to lesser standards, of course he should be sacked.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

He has been sacked but of course he can appeal..

Unless he resigned of course...

Post new Message to Thread