Back to The Lounge

FORUM CRAP RUNNERS- W/C 11/10/21

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January 2018, a bunch of Fabbers began improving their fitness through running. None of them were natural athletes but they did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (Mrs T used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it (I mean reeeeeeeeeally bad), you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RUNNERS:

Tell us what you’re up to with your running, your training and your races. Let’s us know your highs and lows. Please cheer on the newbies and give advice if they ask.

Finally- if you’re working towards a specific goal, share it here

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

5k christ can i just run around on the rugby field?

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

How did your weekend runs go?

Any races ran?

How are you doing with C25K?

Share your stories folks, let’s hear how you’re getting on

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

After missing my third run last week due to my ankle being tender I finally managed to get out this evening and went for a ‘gentle’ 5k. It felt good, my ankle seems ok, it felt easier and just a good run.

I’m full of endorphins and feeling happy

over a year ago

I barely ran last week. Back on it this week.

over a year ago

My long run on the weekend was 15 miles, the last 4 miles were mentally hard and my right hamstring was rather uncomfortable. I adjusted my pace and cadence to accommodate, got through it with a time I was content with. I have 2 weeks until the marathon.

Glad you enjoyed your run OP.

NBVN x

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"My long run on the weekend was 15 miles, the last 4 miles were mentally hard and my right hamstring was rather uncomfortable. I adjusted my pace and cadence to accommodate, got through it with a time I was content with. I have 2 weeks until the marathon.

Glad you enjoyed your run OP.

NBVN x"

I hope that everything goes smoothly for you

over a year ago

"How did your weekend runs go?

Any races ran?

How are you doing with C25K?

Share your stories folks, let’s hear how you’re getting on"

I'm going to boast again. So happy with my sub 30.

I am going to run today. I did a short benchmark run for a new training programme this morning. Just gathering some energy for another slow and more technical one later.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I’m almost inspired to get back into this.

over a year ago

And sorry for bumping old one

I didnt realise there was a new one !

over a year ago

"After missing my third run last week due to my ankle being tender I finally managed to get out this evening and went for a ‘gentle’ 5k. It felt good, my ankle seems ok, it felt easier and just a good run.

I’m full of endorphins and feeling happy "

That's the way to go ! Hello happiness.

over a year ago

"I’m almost inspired to get back into this. "

Why "almost"? What's missing ?

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

Still recovery runs for me, down to 15-20 miles/wk...

But going to be gearing up for Marcothon, who's up for it?

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I’m almost inspired to get back into this.

Why "almost"? What's missing ?"

I’m not really built for running. Some bits crunch.

I’ve done it before a few times.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Still recovery runs for me, down to 15-20 miles/wk...

But going to be gearing up for Marcothon, who's up for it? "

What’s marcothon?

over a year ago

"I’m almost inspired to get back into this.

Why "almost"? What's missing ?

I’m not really built for running. Some bits crunch.

I’ve done it before a few times. "

I think as long as you find something you enjoy, what doesn't harm your "crunchy bits" and what doesn't seem like a chore.. its all what matters. Doesn't need to be running eh? Maybe there is someone who can suggest some training programme focused on preventing injuries if you are prone to them ?

over a year ago

Yoga helps if you're getting too much crunch for your run. Loads of stretching after a run stops it all getting tight and nasty the next day.

YouTube is full of decent Yoga for runners videos.

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"

What’s marcothon? "

Google it, but it's basically the challenge to run 5k or at least 25mins every day in December...

It is meant to help motivate folk to keep getting out even through the winter days.

It's good for building up the endurance too.. running on tired legs!

And for those doing 5k each day, if you do a little bit extra (4 miles in total) through the month, then you'll hit 100miles in the month too!

over a year ago

Before reading this thread I thought that I go out for a run.

With 20 min/2,2 miles it seems that I can call it jogging

I should jog off, I'm too slow...But this means that it takes me longer to finish, which is not bad

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"I should jog off, I'm too slow..."

Not at all!

I find the demarcations between running, jogging, jeffing...

all completely arbitrary and elitist.

We each have our paces depending on intended distance, and they will vary as we get fitted or less fit.

They call it ultra "running", but the latter stages are often a forced painful waddle for many!

And you could "jog" , or even. walk past some.

And as you say, you are out there for longer, so who has done the most work!

I have the up most respect for the 6+ hour marathon finishers! I just have to maintain my race pace and heart rate for about 4 hours, they put their top effort in for 6 or more hours - hats of to you ladies and gents!

So go out, run, jog, waddle, Jeff (run/walk)... do what ever you do!

At least you are doing it!

And hey, share your progress here, we love to hear your stories! :D

over a year ago

"

They call it ultra "running", but the latter stages are often a forced painful waddle for many!

"

Or a crawl

over a year ago

"

What’s marcothon?

Google it, but it's basically the challenge to run 5k or at least 25mins every day in December...

It is meant to help motivate folk to keep getting out even through the winter days.

It's good for building up the endurance too.. running on tired legs!

And for those doing 5k each day, if you do a little bit extra (4 miles in total) through the month, then you'll hit 100miles in the month too! "

This sounds horrible. I'll definitely give it a go, haha!

over a year ago

I’ve retired from running lol

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I should jog off, I'm too slow...

Not at all!

We each have our paces depending on intended distance, and they will vary as we get fitted or less fit.

I have the up most respect for the 6+ hour marathon finishers! I just have to maintain my race pace and heart rate for about 4 hours, they put their top effort in for 6 or more hours - hats of to you ladies and gents!

And hey, share your progress here, we love to hear your stories! :D "

Exactly this. If you lace up and get out, however you do it, you’re a runner.

I hate the way that people try to draw lines between runners and try to dismiss those that take longer or run slower

over a year ago

I run 10k 2-3 times a week, just signed up for the Farnborough half-marathon in January and the Woking one in Feb. Time to step it up!

over a year ago

"I run 10k 2-3 times a week, just signed up for the Farnborough half-marathon in January and the Woking one in Feb. Time to step it up!"

Good luck with your training for the half marathons keep us updated.

Last night I had an interval session which is the start of my tapering towards my marathon, just 4 miles with 2 miles @10k pace.

NBVN x

over a year ago

"Before reading this thread I thought that I go out for a run.

With 20 min/2,2 miles it seems that I can call it jogging

I should jog off, I'm too slow...But this means that it takes me longer to finish, which is not bad "

There is no bar set to participate! Stay. I've found once you start and dedicate yourself things can also improve surprisingly fast. This comes from someone who got a sick note in secondary school to escape running I loved everything else but being forced to run rounds around the lake near the school was a torture.

I've had a great shortish run this morning with a bit of speed work. What a beautiful morning

over a year ago

"I should jog off, I'm too slow...

Not at all!

And hey, share your progress here, we love to hear your stories! :D "

Thank you, thank you and thank you for your support.

Unfortunately, I don't think the progress will be quick. I am away from home for weeks, working. I can exercise only when I'm off. And I have to split between swimming, "running" and my fitness routine. Add hobbies and friends, not too much time to grow. I can only run 3 times in my week off. I love it, but cannot grow. Anyway, I started 3 months ago with 1 mile, so that I can say that I pushed it up a bit.

Respect for all of you who can run like horses

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

Enthusiastic jogger here.

I never enter races but try to get in at least 4 runs a week although I’m not going beyond 6km.

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"

This sounds horrible. I'll definitely give it a go, haha! "

You'll be great!

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"

Unfortunately, I don't think the progress will be quick. I am away from home for weeks, working. I can exercise only when I'm off. And I have to split between swimming, "running" and my fitness routine. Add hobbies and friends, not too much time to grow. I can only run 3 times in my week off. I love it, but cannot grow. Anyway, I started 3 months ago with 1 mile, so that I can say that I pushed it up a bit.

Respect for all of you who can run like horses "

Do what you can and enjoy the journey!

over a year ago

Everyone is welcome from what I've seen and this is a really supportive group/thread.

I had my first run on sunday following my event weekend and my feet and legs were all working again

I haven't worked out what I'll be doing next, i'll be thinking about it on my run by the sea this evening!

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

I fractured my ankle a couple of years back (let's say I was skiing).

It's not been right since, certainly not for running on.

So does Rubbish Rowing count?

over a year ago

Mile repeats for the first time for me (Mickey) today and my god was it a tough run

Ran the repeats at 11 kmph which would put my 5k pace at about 27 minutes. Been running intervals at that pace but only 3 minutes at a time so this was a bit tougher doing nearly 9 minutes for a mile! I usually run a 5K at 10 kmph so this pace is a set up for me but the only way I’m going to improve.

I’ll start doing these once a week but keep doing my 3 min intervals every Sunday as well as putting in a flat 5k every Friday. Not building up to anything yet just want to get my legs used to these mile repeats at a faster pace

By *ragoniteMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

Manchester marathon 3 days ago. Last 1/4 was torture - in spite of salt tabs, electrolyte drinks and gels, cramped up big time and also had Paula Radcliffe-like issues!

Got over the line though and probably more pleased with it than previous ones where I’d not had any issues at all as there were moments where I could have easily given up.

Not sure what to do for my next running challenge - another marathon, go longer or try to focus on 5/10k and do more speed work.

over a year ago

"Manchester marathon 3 days ago. Last 1/4 was torture - in spite of salt tabs, electrolyte drinks and gels, cramped up big time and also had Paula Radcliffe-like issues!

Got over the line though and probably more pleased with it than previous ones where I’d not had any issues at all as there were moments where I could have easily given up.

Not sure what to do for my next running challenge - another marathon, go longer or try to focus on 5/10k and do more speed work. "

That's amazing. Well done on getting to the finish line the tougher it gets the more satisfaction. I cried out when I got home last Saturday.. (not a marathon but was so proud)but it was a good happy release cry.

And good luck searching a next challenge. Triathlon?

over a year ago

Hope its not derailing the thread but my 2022 goal is to complete a Triathlon of some sort. Aiming for the Sprint version in June then Olympic length one by end of year.

Very early days but doable I think.

over a year ago

"Hope its not derailing the thread but my 2022 goal is to complete a Triathlon of some sort. Aiming for the Sprint version in June then Olympic length one by end of year.

Very early days but doable I think."

go you ! You'll smash it !

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"Hope its not derailing the thread but my 2022 goal is to complete a Triathlon of some sort. Aiming for the Sprint version in June then Olympic length one by end of year.

No problem at all.

work on base fitness over winter. Cardio and S&C, particularly single leg stability exercises, and ones that engage your glutes.

Then in the New year, work out a schedule working back from your planned races.

It's a great sport, great camaraderie from fellow athletes!

Go for it and enjoy!

over a year ago

Thank you both ^^

By *ickDastardlyMan
over a year ago

North East

I started in April.

mainly looking to build endurance. I’m not build for speed. When I started I was doing 5k in 37-34minutes, this included a large uphill section which lasted about 1.6k

Currently I’m running a 5k anywhere between 27-24 minutes. If I pace myself right I don’t need to stop at all. My stamina is become a relative strength.

I’m decided to gear up for a half marathon next year, looking to go maybe sub 2 hours if I can keep up my current routine.

will do a couple more weeks and this pace and distance and look to in scale up the length of my runs to 10K and beyond.

over a year ago

Waaah me too! I'm scared. I'm doing an Olympic distance in June and then a middle distance (half iron man) in July.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Manchester marathon 3 days ago. Last 1/4 was torture - in spite of salt tabs, electrolyte drinks and gels, cramped up big time and also had Paula Radcliffe-like issues!

Not sure what to do for my next running challenge - another marathon, go longer or try to focus on 5/10k and do more speed work. "

Congratulations!

I was shouting encouragement at around the 21 mile point at Sale!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I started in April.

mainly looking to build endurance. I’m not build for speed. When I started I was doing 5k in 37-34minutes, this included a large uphill section which lasted about 1.6k

Currently I’m running a 5k anywhere between 27-24 minutes. If I pace myself right I don’t need to stop at all. My stamina is become a relative strength.

I’m decided to gear up for a half marathon next year, looking to go maybe sub 2 hours if I can keep up my current routine.

will do a couple more weeks and this pace and distance and look to in scale up the length of my runs to 10K and beyond. "

Congratulations! It sounds like you’ve got it all worked out in your head

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’ve not long been back from my second run of the week.

My plan was to run further but at a slightly slower pace to allow for the longer distance and build fitness. Instead I ran the distance at a faster pace than I’ve managed since starting again!

6.2k at 6.24 minutes per km. It seems that my fitness is coming back faster than I thought! Still a long way off my ‘regular’ pace but getting better

over a year ago

"I’ve not long been back from my second run of the week.

My plan was to run further but at a slightly slower pace to allow for the longer distance and build fitness. Instead I ran the distance at a faster pace than I’ve managed since starting again!

6.2k at 6.24 minutes per km. It seems that my fitness is coming back faster than I thought! Still a long way off my ‘regular’ pace but getting better"

Excellent Tea !

over a year ago

Very early days but doable I think.

Waaah me too! I'm scared. I'm doing an Olympic distance in June and then a middle distance (half iron man) in July. "

Great! Look forward to following the progress and success on here.

By *ragoniteMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

Not sure what to do for my next running challenge - another marathon, go longer or try to focus on 5/10k and do more speed work.

That's amazing. Well done on getting to the finish line the tougher it gets the more satisfaction. I cried out when I got home last Saturday.. (not a marathon but was so proud)but it was a good happy release cry.

And good luck searching a next challenge. Triathlon? "

I have been through my triathlon phase and come out the other side! Swimming and me are not very good friends

over a year ago

After I retired from rugby I did some adventure races then started triathlon when our local club ran some taster days and sessions.

It is a really supportive sport (and lots of fun too)!

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"After I retired from rugby I did some adventure races then started triathlon when our local club ran some taster days and sessions.

It is a really supportive sport (and lots of fun too)! "

And as they saying goes, why be crap at one sport, when you can be crap at three!

I'm certainly not great at swimming or cycling, and they are just like stepping stones to the run for me...

Having said that, in my first full distance tri, I did actually enjoy the swim, and the bike! But didn't break any records in them! I did however manage to avoid the wall and post a 4h30 marathon after all the rest!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

How are folks getting on this week? Any news or updates?

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’ve managed to complete my third run this week, nearly hitting 6.5k. It was a very hard run tonight but my pace was decent and I got it done, which feels like a real achievement.

over a year ago

Parkrun tomorrow... Fingers crossed I can go without walking again. I ran during the week and picked up my pace again, nearly back to pre-flu pace but not quite. Working on it!

over a year ago

"I’ve managed to complete my third run this week, nearly hitting 6.5k. It was a very hard run tonight but my pace was decent and I got it done, which feels like a real achievement. "

Well done Tea. Parkrun for me in the Morning but long week at work so who knows ?

over a year ago

"I’ve managed to complete my third run this week, nearly hitting 6.5k. It was a very hard run tonight but my pace was decent and I got it done, which feels like a real achievement. "

How long did it take you to run 6.5k?

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

[Removed by poster at 15/10/21 20:59:03]

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Parkrun tomorrow... Fingers crossed I can go without walking again. I ran during the week and picked up my pace again, nearly back to pre-flu pace but not quite. Working on it!"

Excellent! Well done!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I’ve managed to complete my third run this week, nearly hitting 6.5k. It was a very hard run tonight but my pace was decent and I got it done, which feels like a real achievement.

How long did it take you to run 6.5k?"

40 mins, which is still a long way away from my old pace but steadily getting closer

over a year ago

"I’ve managed to complete my third run this week, nearly hitting 6.5k. It was a very hard run tonight but my pace was decent and I got it done, which feels like a real achievement.

40 mins, which is still a long way away from my old pace but steadily getting closer"

Well I haven't run further than 5k so it's impressive regardless!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

40 mins, which is still a long way away from my old pace but steadily getting closer

Well I haven't run further than 5k so it's impressive regardless!"

Keep going!

We have very different aims so for me, times aren’t really of much importance at the moment. I know that you’re focused on speed

over a year ago

Well I haven't run further than 5k so it's impressive regardless!

Keep going!

We have very different aims so for me, times aren’t really of much importance at the moment. I know that you’re focused on speed"

Yeah true, I don't want to go further, I want to go faster.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Well done! The feeling of a personal achievement is such a buzz. I need to go out and do my running club homework, thinking I will get up and go out in the morning. I've found a great place only a few minutes drive from home where there are no vehicles and rarely any people. So I'll put on my headphones and run,slow and steady.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Well done! The feeling of a personal achievement is such a buzz. I need to go out and do my running club homework, thinking I will get up and go out in the morning. I've found a great place only a few minutes drive from home where there are no vehicles and rarely any people. So I'll put on my headphones and run,slow and steady."

That sounds perfect! What’s your homework?

By *ertsDrewMan
over a year ago

Hitchin

Hi there so glad this thread has been resurrected. I was part of the original group through my friendship with MrsTrellis.

Then through a combination of factors I lost my running mojo for over a year. I started back again just over 6 weeks ago. It's not been an easy return but I'm so much happier for it. In September I clocked up a total of 113 km, at varying paces admittedly. So good luck to you all setting and achieving your own personal goals.

over a year ago

Good luck park runners

And well done to all working hard and making improvements each week.

over a year ago

Start of the cross country season today in Manchester. Me and 300 semi naked men in woods. Standard

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Well done! The feeling of a personal achievement is such a buzz. I need to go out and do my running club homework, thinking I will get up and go out in the morning. I've found a great place only a few minutes drive from home where there are no vehicles and rarely any people. So I'll put on my headphones and run,slow and steady.

That sounds perfect! What’s your homework? "

I need to get to 2 miles, going out very soon but not feeling confident

over a year ago

Parkrun completed, 30.30 mins, slower than last week but about expected after heavy work week. Now enjoying coffee and cheesecake reward.

By *ertsDrewMan
over a year ago

Hitchin

"Parkrun completed, 30.30 mins, slower than last week but about expected after heavy work week. Now enjoying coffee and cheesecake reward. "

It's all about the rewards. Well earned.

over a year ago

"Parkrun completed, 30.30 mins, slower than last week but about expected after heavy work week. Now enjoying coffee and cheesecake reward.

It's all about the rewards. Well earned. "

Thank you

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

That sounds perfect! What’s your homework?

I need to get to 2 miles, going out very soon but not feeling confident "

Remember to just take it easy. It’s not about speed, it’s about distance

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Well I went and I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Feel a failure though as I had to keep stopping for a few seconds as just couldn't keep going. It's so surprising how a week off exercise and eating fattening food and drinking alcohol really affects you. Gggrrrrr.

over a year ago

Park run done. Soaked in rain but loved it not beating records today, that's the prize for staying up last night and saucy chats, oops.

I'm just happy I am keeping it around 30 min mark with a consistency, lots more training to be done and I need to be kinder to my knees.

How is everyone else?

over a year ago

"Well I went and I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Feel a failure though as I had to keep stopping for a few seconds as just couldn't keep going. It's so surprising how a week off exercise and eating fattening food and drinking alcohol really affects you. Gggrrrrr."

And your cycle too perhaps. We are worse runners in luteal phase I think.

You are not a failure because you didn't sit on your arse. You went out and pushed yourself ! Run walk run is quite a good strategy from what I read. I'm sure someone more experienced will come along to confirm it.

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

"in luteal phase "

What is this?

over a year ago

"Well I went and I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Feel a failure though as I had to keep stopping for a few seconds as just couldn't keep going. It's so surprising how a week off exercise and eating fattening food and drinking alcohol really affects you. Gggrrrrr."

No f word please! You got up, you got out and you did it. Well done

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Well I went and I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Feel a failure though as I had to keep stopping for a few seconds as just couldn't keep going. It's so surprising how a week off exercise and eating fattening food and drinking alcohol really affects you. Gggrrrrr.

And your cycle too perhaps. We are worse runners in luteal phase I think.

You are not a failure because you didn't sit on your arse. You went out and pushed yourself ! Run walk run is quite a good strategy from what I read. I'm sure someone more experienced will come along to confirm it. "

Thank you. I am in my luteal phase actually, that's interesting you should mention that may have an affect on my performance.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Well I went and I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Feel a failure though as I had to keep stopping for a few seconds as just couldn't keep going. It's so surprising how a week off exercise and eating fattening food and drinking alcohol really affects you. Gggrrrrr.

No f word please! You got up, you got out and you did it. Well done "

But I've eaten so much unhealthy stuff this week it's unreal, there, do you prefer the H word to the F word?

over a year ago

"in luteal phase

What is this? "

Menstrual cycle! Luteal phase is before your period.

over a year ago

I did a nice relaxed park run yesterday with a couple of friends - one of them is pregnant so no PBs! It was nice to enjoy a social, chatty run.

Then 10 miles long run today. Heart rate was high though as I've had a bit of a cough, and 3 weeks with no long runs.

over a year ago

It's less than 6 months until my ultra so I need to start getting some miles in my legs.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

No f word please! You got up, you got out and you did it. Well done

But I've eaten so much unhealthy stuff this week it's unreal, there, do you prefer the H word to the F word? "

Some runs are just harder than others, for lots of little reasons. I had a hard one (fnar) on Friday. I sometimes think that the harder ones are more rewarding because you got them done even though you didn’t want to

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"It's less than 6 months until my ultra so I need to start getting some miles in my legs. "

Which ultra are you doing?

over a year ago

"It's less than 6 months until my ultra so I need to start getting some miles in my legs.

Which ultra are you doing? "

A 41 mile one

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"It's less than 6 months until my ultra so I need to start getting some miles in my legs.

A 41 mile one "

In one day? That’s impressive!

I did think about entering one for 2019 but got injured. I hope that it goes well for you! I look forward to seeing how you’re getting on

over a year ago

A 41 mile one

I did think about entering one for 2019 but got injured. I hope that it goes well for you! I look forward to seeing how you’re getting on"

There's a 12 hour cut off and it's flat so I'll be fine. I've anyway done it but my hip seized up at mile 25 so I had to limp the last 16 miles. Next year, I need to beat my time. My ultimate goal is to run a 100 mile ultra. Just to see if I can. And to brag about it forever!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

A 41 mile one

I did think about entering one for 2019 but got injured. I hope that it goes well for you! I look forward to seeing how you’re getting on

There's a 12 hour cut off and it's flat so I'll be fine. I've anyway done it but my hip seized up at mile 25 so I had to limp the last 16 miles. Next year, I need to beat my time. My ultimate goal is to run a 100 mile ultra. Just to see if I can. And to brag about it forever! "

I felt like that about my first marathon!

over a year ago

I'm doing couch to 5k as it happens. I'm in week 8, 28 minutes non stop running. I had my first bad run yesterday. I think a combination of time of the month, forgetting to stretch beforehand, starting off to fast and breathing in very cold air threw me off. I walked a couple of times as I felt I ran out of energy, my legs just stopped working. Today is my rest day and I'll try again tomorrow.

over a year ago

"I'm doing couch to 5k as it happens. I'm in week 8, 28 minutes non stop running. I had my first bad run yesterday. I think a combination of time of the month, forgetting to stretch beforehand, starting off to fast and breathing in very cold air threw me off. I walked a couple of times as I felt I ran out of energy, my legs just stopped working. Today is my rest day and I'll try again tomorrow. "

There's no shame in walking a bit to catch your breath. There's a technique called 'jeffing' where you walk and run in intervals. Lots of experienced runners use the method to increase their endurance.

Good luck tomorrow!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm doing couch to 5k as it happens. I'm in week 8, 28 minutes non stop running. I had my first bad run yesterday. I think a combination of time of the month, forgetting to stretch beforehand, starting off to fast and breathing in very cold air threw me off. I walked a couple of times as I felt I ran out of energy, my legs just stopped working. Today is my rest day and I'll try again tomorrow.

There's no shame in walking a bit to catch your breath. There's a technique called 'jeffing' where you walk and run in intervals. Lots of experienced runners use the method to increase their endurance.

Good luck tomorrow! "

Exactly this. It’s easy to think that you’ve failed by having to stop but it’s never a failure.

over a year ago

I ran this morning. Thought I was going pretty slowly but when I got back home and checked my Strava, turns out I was going pretty fast. Weird, really didn't feel like that!

over a year ago

"I ran this morning. Thought I was going pretty slowly but when I got back home and checked my Strava, turns out I was going pretty fast. Weird, really didn't feel like that!"

I love it when that happens!

over a year ago

"I ran this morning. Thought I was going pretty slowly but when I got back home and checked my Strava, turns out I was going pretty fast. Weird, really didn't feel like that!

I love it when that happens! "

Yeah it was nice, I was like "huh, turns out I'm awesome today, who knew?"

By *ck BasswardsMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

I used to run a lot when i used to regularly play football…. I recently ran (not went for a run, but i had to run momentarily) think we can all agree i am not being dramatic when i say it was THE worst moment of my life, gave running a one star on trip advisor, everyone says it “makes you feel healthy” but i felt like an asthmatic out of breath sweaty mess so contacted trading standards about that bullshit, “apparently” they can not act on socially held factually innacurate preconceptions “yet more bull shit”…. Livid tbh

And the carrot (pint) that was used to make the donkey (me) run was not waiting at the bar ready for me as i was told it would be… plus i hurt my foot cos apparently you need to pay 100 plus pounds for good running shoes before doing it properly…. In hindsight its more likely, probably, that i hurt my foot by booting that family of five out of my way on way to the bar

over a year ago

Much better this morning, 28 minutes non stop, not particularly fast towards the end but non stop

over a year ago

"Much better this morning, 28 minutes non stop, not particularly fast towards the end but non stop "

That's great!

By *handlerMonicaCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

I'm starting again this week, 18 months ago I could comfortably run 80-100 miles/week, right now I couldn't do a mile without stopping. It's gonna be really hard work, but every journey starts with a single, wheezy, painful step!

over a year ago

Any runners in the Berkshire area, would love some company on runs especially if slow

Feel free to DM or reply here

over a year ago

"I'm starting again this week, 18 months ago I could comfortably run 80-100 miles/week, right now I couldn't do a mile without stopping. It's gonna be really hard work, but every journey starts with a single, wheezy, painful step!"

That's brilliant! I don't know much about running but I'm guessing you will build up again? Good luck

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

A 41 mile one "

41 miles??!!! Crikey, I couldn't even walk that. I admire you for signing up to it let alone doing it. Good luck with your training.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

The new thread is up for this week folks

Post new Message to Thread