Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why panic.....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So it looks like people have started panic buying toilet rolls in and bottles of water tinned tomatoes pasta and beans in the run up to Christmas. Why? I absolutely don't get it!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Oh no not that again

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Greed

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

It’s certainly going to make for some very bizarre Xmas stocking fillers

over a year ago

"Oh no not that again "

It's so ridiculous!

I genuinely don't understand why people are doing it.

Surely everyone has realised after the last 18 months we have been through, if everyone stays calm there will be enough for everybody it's when people become selfish and grab everything for themselves that we have problems.

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

Seriously what the hell

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Fucks sake not this shite again

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

"Greed "

Spot on _asmeen, greed and first world problems.

Such a selfish society nowadays

over a year ago

I went to the supermarket yesterday just to do my normal end of the week top up shop. And no toilet roll, Hardy any pasta and loads of gaps in the shelves.

I asked the man on till why and he shrugged and said "it's started again" I asked what has and he said "the panic buying".

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Well they've got their petrol now.

Fire service are going to be busy this winter with all the petrol and toilet paper these people have on hand.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Sorry son, we can't have Christmas dinner and you don't have any toys either because spent all our budget on toilet paper and water. Why are you crying? You're being really selfish right now

over a year ago

"Greed

Such a selfish society nowadays "

Its really difficult because the people that dont have the means or storage to be able to stock up are really left to struggle. Those of us that don't drive need to be able to get what we need locally without having to drive about.

over a year ago

Why panic.. there are plenty of autumnal leaves to be used instead.. eco friendly too.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

No one will go short or without

over a year ago

"Why panic.. there are plenty of autumnal leaves to be used instead.. eco friendly too. "

Love it. Well we do live near a forest so we are good.

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

Why the bottled water as well is there a winter heatwave we don't know about.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

All the more reason to go abroad this Christmas - I just wish things weren't so expensive

over a year ago

"No one will go short or without "

Unfortunately if this carries on yes they will. It will be those on fixed or low incomes that will suffer the most.

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

"Greed

Such a selfish society nowadays

Its really difficult because the people that dont have the means or storage to be able to stock up are really left to struggle. Those of us that don't drive need to be able to get what we need locally without having to drive about. "

My faith in humanity has really been tested the past year I tell you...

over a year ago

"Why the bottled water as well is there a winter heatwave we don't know about."

Yeah I don't get that.

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

"So it looks like people have started panic buying toilet rolls in and bottles of water tinned tomatoes pasta and beans in the run up to Christmas. Why? I absolutely don't get it!"

Seriously ?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"No one will go short or without

Unfortunately if this carries on yes they will. It will be those on fixed or low incomes that will suffer the most.

"

They will only allow you to buy a few items like before

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

People panic because of posts like this.

over a year ago

Plenty of doc leafs still about iv seen

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

"Why the bottled water as well is there a winter heatwave we don't know about.

Yeah I don't get that. "

Money to burn

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Yep no pasta in Tesco’s today

over a year ago

I was expecting it to be honest because it's been in the media for a while about shortages because of deliveries, then a few days ago a few supermarkets started reporting they were worried there would be massive gaps in the shelves in the run up to Christmas.

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

We managed to get hold of some penis shaped pasta last time, was a bit awkward when the parents came round for dinner.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"People panic because of posts like this."

No they don't

over a year ago

"People panic because of posts like this."

Don't be ridiculous my post is hardly gonna make someone to go out and buy 48 toilet rolls just turn on the news or read a newspaper or look at the supermarket shelves

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

These problems have started again due to some newspaoer reports on Friday, when manufacturers were saying that if gas shortages meant industry had to switch off production lines, prices of food and household goods would rise.

That could include everyday items such as loo rolls.

So, people have reacted yet again in full panic mode!

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I use my local shops plenty about always fully stocked

over a year ago

"We managed to get hold of some penis shaped pasta last time, was a bit awkward when the parents came round for dinner. "

Are used to volunteer at a food bank and we used to get back don't dated fairly regularly weirdly.

over a year ago

Im much more worried about the shortage of Caribbean crush lucozade 3 weeks without it now

By *hubby CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Essex

"We managed to get hold of some penis shaped pasta last time, was a bit awkward when the parents came round for dinner.

Are used to volunteer at a food bank and we used to get back don't dated fairly regularly weirdly. "

Loool yeah can’t name where you can buy it from on here

over a year ago

"These problems have started again due to some newspaoer reports on Friday, when manufacturers were saying that if gas shortages meant industry had to switch off production lines, prices of food and household goods would rise.

So, people have reacted yet again in full panic mode! "

Yeah but I was hoping People had learned the lessons but obviously not.

over a year ago

"No one will go short or without

They will only allow you to buy a few items like before "

Not sure.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

over a year ago

"Oh no not that again

It's so ridiculous!

Surely everyone has realised after the last 18 months we have been through, if everyone stays calm there will be enough for everybody it's when people become selfish and grab everything for themselves that we have problems. "

Honestly it’s infuriating seeing people act the way they do…

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Not noticed any issues here, most products around, if not just adapt

over a year ago

"These problems have started again due to some newspaoer reports on Friday, when manufacturers were saying that if gas shortages meant industry had to switch off production lines, prices of food and household goods would rise.

So, people have reacted yet again in full panic mode!

Yeah but I was hoping People had learned the lessons but obviously not."

Was the lesson to make sure you're always well stocked up on toilet roll?

Or to make sure you get extra pasta as soon as you get wind that their might be shortages?

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I was in a leading supermarket today. Nobody bought more than a 9/12 pack of toilet rolls. A lot of bottled water was sold, and a fair few turkey's. No gaps on shelves though. People who spent over £100, tended to have alcohol that was on offer.

over a year ago

"Oh no not that again

It's so ridiculous!

Surely everyone has realised after the last 18 months we have been through, if everyone stays calm there will be enough for everybody it's when people become selfish and grab everything for themselves that we have problems.

Honestly it’s infuriating seeing people act the way they do… "

We really struggled last time because We don't drive so Relied on a local shop and I think at 1 point we went 12 days without eggs or milk or bread. We adapted but I really don't wanna have to go through that again. Also the food we could buy was much more expensive.

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Last year people planned for a small family Christmas.

Boris changed the rules.

So people are determined to have xmas at any cost.

over a year ago

Cause they're fucking muppets.

over a year ago

"I was in a leading supermarket today. Nobody bought more than a 9/12 pack of toilet rolls. A lot of bottled water was sold, and a fair few turkey's. No gaps on shelves though. People who spent over £100, tended to have alcohol that was on offer."

The supermarket I went to yesterday told a different story. And if that was the case then why was there none of the bigger packs of toilet rolls in my local supermarket?

over a year ago

"Last year people planned for a small family Christmas.

Boris changed the rules.

So people are determined to have xmas at any cost. "

Only those privileged enough to be able to afford it and actually what has bottled water and toilet roll got to do with Christmas?

By *ildbillkidMan
over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

From what I've read, the ships are lined up , can't unload, supposedly they are telling people to buy your x-mas now because might not be any come later

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I was in a leading supermarket today. Nobody bought more than a 9/12 pack of toilet rolls. A lot of bottled water was sold, and a fair few turkey's. No gaps on shelves though. People who spent over £100, tended to have alcohol that was on offer.

The supermarket I went to yesterday told a different story. And if that was the case then why was there none of the bigger packs of toilet rolls in my local supermarket?"

I went on to Aldi after I left Tesco. Plenty of toilet rolls there and no gaps either.

over a year ago

"Oh no not that again

It's so ridiculous!

We really struggled last time because We don't drive so Relied on a local shop and I think at 1 point we went 12 days without eggs or milk or bread. We adapted but I really don't wanna have to go through that again. Also the food we could buy was much more expensive. "

Whoa that’s not good and imagine how many others were in that situation too it’s ridiculous all because of selfish idiots buying things up…

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Oh no not that again

It's so ridiculous!

We really struggled last time because We don't drive so Relied on a local shop and I think at 1 point we went 12 days without eggs or milk or bread. We adapted but I really don't wanna have to go through that again. Also the food we could buy was much more expensive.

Whoa that’s not good and imagine how many others were in that situation too it’s ridiculous all because of selfish idiots buying things up…"

Bet half if it got thrown away too!

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"So it looks like people have started panic buying toilet rolls in and bottles of water tinned tomatoes pasta and beans in the run up to Christmas. Why? I absolutely don't get it!"

It’s a fine line between panic buying and someone simply thinking they are doing the right thing for their family.

over a year ago

"Oh no not that again

It's so ridiculous!

Whoa that’s not good and imagine how many others were in that situation too it’s ridiculous all because of selfish idiots buying things up…

Bet half if it got thrown away too!"

I very much hope a lot of was donated to food banks but probably not.

over a year ago

"So it looks like people have started panic buying toilet rolls in and bottles of water tinned tomatoes pasta and beans in the run up to Christmas. Why? I absolutely don't get it!

It’s a fine line between panic buying and someone simply thinking they are doing the right thing for their family."

Its not a fine line, if you have enough and you go out and buy more because you are worried it's gonna run out that is panic buying whatever the reasons.

over a year ago

"So it looks like people have started panic buying toilet rolls in and bottles of water tinned tomatoes pasta and beans in the run up to Christmas. Why? I absolutely don't get it!

It’s a fine line between panic buying and someone simply thinking they are doing the right thing for their family.

Its not a fine line, if you have enough and you go out and buy more because you are worried it's gonna run out that is panic buying whatever the reasons. "

I wouldn't call that panic buying.

Panic buying is reading stuff like this, going out and clearing the shelves.

Being well stocked up because there's been shortages before and you don't want to get caught out by future supply problems is just sensible, particularly if you have a young family.

over a year ago

Its not a fine line, if you have enough and you go out and buy more because you are worried it's gonna run out that is panic buying whatever the reasons.

Being well stocked up because there's been shortages before and you don't want to get caught out by future supply problems is just sensible, particularly if you have a young family."

But it is and thats the problem because everyone think somehow there situation trumps everybody else's.

over a year ago

"From what I've read, the ships are lined up , can't unload, supposedly they are telling people to buy your x-mas now because might not be any come later"

Its bonkers right now

over a year ago

Being well stocked up because there's been shortages before and you don't want to get caught out by future supply problems is just sensible, particularly if you have a young family.

But it is and thats the problem because everyone think somehow there situation trumps everybody else's.

"

How?

If they already have some stocks and they continue to buy stuff as usual, how does that effect anything? All they've done it's sensibly prepared because after all it's been obvious that these things would happen again for a long time.

over a year ago

For what it's worth though all the shelves seemed full as normal today.

over a year ago

How?

If they already have some stocks and they continue to buy stuff as usual, how does that effect anything? All they've done it's sensibly prepared because after all it's been obvious that these things would happen again for a long time."

Well then you're not talking about what I'm talking about are you! I'm not talking about people that are just doing their normal shopping I'm talking about people that go out and buy more than my need. If people always keep a bit of a stockpile and just go out and buy what they normally would it wouldn't be a problem but many people are not doing that.

Also it is only those privileged enough to be able to afford to stock up or have the space so they just expect those that can't to just go without?

By *lassy_but_sassyWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Im much more worried about the shortage of Caribbean crush lucozade 3 weeks without it now "

And the Pink Lemonade one, I'm seriously jonesing without it!

In all seriousness it's the media, again. Reports of Christmas shortages, order your turkey now, no xyz for Christmas and so on have been everywhere over the past week, and just like with the petrol panic they fan the flames and then report with glee the onsuing panic buying. Absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible imo.

over a year ago

My apologies. Your line here confused me:

"Its not a fine line, if you have enough and you go out and buy more because you are worried it's gonna run out that is panic buying whatever the reasons. "

I would still argue that ensuring you're better stocked up than normal would have been sensible given the circumstances of the past two years. I don't think privilege is necessary for that.

over a year ago

"My apologies. Your line here confused me:

I would still argue that ensuring you're better stocked up than normal would have been sensible given the circumstances of the past two years. I don't think privilege is necessary for that."

But it is because many families are struggling to make ends meet let alone buy a bit extra

over a year ago

I would still argue that ensuring you're better stocked up than normal would have been sensible given the circumstances of the past two years. I don't think privilege is necessary for that.

But it is because many families are struggling to make ends meet let alone buy a bit extra"

I don't deny that.

But adding an extra 15p can to your weekly shopping to get yourself stocked up over the past 18 months is within the means of most.

over a year ago

"Im much more worried about the shortage of Caribbean crush lucozade 3 weeks without it now

And the Pink Lemonade one, I'm seriously jonesing without it!

In all seriousness it's the media, again. Reports of Christmas shortages, order your turkey now, no xyz for Christmas and so on have been everywhere over the past week, and just like with the petrol panic they fan the flames and then report with glee the onsuing panic buying. Absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible imo. "

awt to sell a story its all this world is becoming these days the survival skills will one day come in handy at this rate

over a year ago

But it is because many families are struggling to make ends meet let alone buy a bit extra

I don't deny that.

But adding an extra 15p can to your weekly shopping to get yourself stocked up over the past 18 months is within the means of most."

15p for what?

over a year ago

Because they are muppets!!!

over a year ago

I don't deny that.

But adding an extra 15p can to your weekly shopping to get yourself stocked up over the past 18 months is within the means of most.

15p for what? "

Spaghetti rings. 13p from Sainsburys

over a year ago

It's always the pasta that goes first. People need to be more creative with their survival food

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Fucks sake not this shite again"
Quite literally! You are witty. Hahaha

over a year ago

I don't deny that.

15p for what?

Spaghetti rings. 13p from Sainsburys "

So you are expecting people to live on spaghetti rings and beans because some people want to panic buy?

over a year ago

"It's always the pasta that goes first. People need to be more creative with their survival food "

Totally agree.

We don't actually eat much pasta.

over a year ago

"So you are expecting people to live on spaghetti rings and beans because some people want to panic buy?"

Yeah that's right, that's exactly what I've been arguing

Oh and they can wipe their arses on leaves!

Anyway it's too late to buy spaghetti rings. Apparently some fucker cleared the shelves of them about 5 minutes ago.

over a year ago

Have they seriously run out of pasta from the last stockpile they bought?

over a year ago

Looks like supermarkets have already started limiting what you can buy because I am literally just doing my monthly online shop and I can only buy one pack of certain things.

over a year ago

"So you are expecting people to live on spaghetti rings and beans because some people want to panic buy?

Anyway it's too late to buy spaghetti rings. Apparently some fucker cleared the shelves of them about 5 minutes ago."

To be honest I'm struggling to see what you are saying.

over a year ago

"So you are expecting people to live on spaghetti rings and beans because some people want to panic buy?

Anyway it's too late to buy spaghetti rings. Apparently some fucker cleared the shelves of them about 5 minutes ago.

To be honest I'm struggling to see what you are saying. "

No shit

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

We planted a pasta tree last lockdown. It shall bear fruit (well, spirali, actually) soon

over a year ago

"We planted a pasta tree last lockdown. It shall bear fruit (well, spirali, actually) soon "

That was a wise investment of your pennes

over a year ago

Sounds like a proper shit Christmas dinner

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

How does this government still have support. It's like the pissing 1970s.

over a year ago

I’ve collected enough pasta throughout the years (I just love all the different pasta shapes) to be able to go through another pandemic

So she’s all good

But I don’t understand this panic buying thing!!! Whaaaaaaaayyyy

over a year ago

Media. Without it there would be no panic buying.

over a year ago

"We planted a pasta tree last lockdown. It shall bear fruit (well, spirali, actually) soon "

Cleaver

over a year ago

"Media. Without it there would be no panic buying. "

To a certain extent I agree however its up to individuals whether they buy in to it or not.

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

"How does this government still have support. It's like the pissing 1970s. "

Its actually people not having common sense that is the majority of it all.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

It's the new Christmas tradition the family sitting at the table while father carves the Bolognese

over a year ago

"Media. Without it there would be no panic buying.

To a certain extent I agree however its up to individuals whether they buy in to it or not."

Tell someone something is threatened and isn't it survival indict to do something about it. Many people are operating on a basic level.

over a year ago

"Media. Without it there would be no panic buying.

To a certain extent I agree however its up to individuals whether they buy in to it or not.

Tell someone something is threatened and isn't it survival indict to do something about it. Many people are operating on a basic level. "

I would agree but it's the things people are buying in bulk that boggles me.

Water and toilet roll!

By *ister-mischiefMan
over a year ago

Trafford

[Removed by poster at 09/10/21 23:28:06]

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

As long as uber dont run out im good.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Sadly it only takes a small portion of people to ruin it for everyone

If even 25% of people panic buy, you get another 50% that do the same to combat the panic buyers

Then the people that didn’t get involved are left without

over a year ago

"It's the new Christmas tradition the family sitting at the table while father carves the Bolognese "

Wearing party hats made out of bog roll.

over a year ago

"It's the new Christmas tradition the family sitting at the table while father carves the Bolognese

Wearing party hats made out of bog roll. "

Stop showing off! My party hats will be made out of those Lidl mags or from the charity bin bags you get free through the post

over a year ago

On a mooch

"It's the new Christmas tradition the family sitting at the table while father carves the Bolognese

Stop showing off! My party hats will be made out of those Lidl mags or from the charity bin bags you get free through the post "

Surely from all the old pasta bags they’ve saved

over a year ago

Stop showing off! My party hats will be made out of those Lidl mags or from the charity bin bags you get free through the post

Surely from all the old pasta bags they’ve saved "

That's a bit fancy, and very crinkly

over a year ago

Stop showing off! My party hats will be made out of those Lidl mags or from the charity bin bags you get free through the post "

'I'm dreaming of a Shite Christmas..'

over a year ago

On a mooch

That's a bit fancy, and very crinkly "

Can make music with them after, trumpet, maracas, drum…. I’m thinking this too much

over a year ago

'I'm dreaming of a Shite Christmas..' "

You married it you lucky duck. Wait till you see the table decorations, literally shit rolled in glitter

over a year ago

Can make music with them after, trumpet, maracas, drum…. I’m thinking this too much "

After dinner entertainment

over a year ago

People are idiots

The media says jump and most of the public say how high

over a year ago

Can make music with them after, trumpet, maracas, drum…. I’m thinking this too much "

You're being very fusilly

over a year ago

'I'm dreaming of a Shite Christmas..'

You married it you lucky duck. Wait till you see the table decorations, literally shit rolled in glitter "

Christmas log ?

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Sadly it only takes a small portion of people to ruin it for everyone

If even 25% of people panic buy, you get another 50% that do the same to combat the panic buyers

Then the people that didn’t get involved are left without "

So true well said!

By *isspurplechesterWoman
over a year ago

Chester

Seriously!!!! Is this a thing?

over a year ago

Couldn't be bothered the first time, cannot be bothered now. When the media will find another subject to panic people, the shelves will be refilled with the same stuff, but more expensive. If I make stocks what it will happen? I will live 2-3 weeks more than the rest?

over a year ago

It’s a fine line between panic buying and someone simply thinking they are doing the right thing for their family."

over a year ago

Being well stocked up because there's been shortages before and you don't want to get caught out by future supply problems is just sensible, particularly if you have a young family."

over a year ago

Fools, damn fools!!! Stock up on alcohol like a normal person!!!

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

It's going to be a grim Christmas dinner of pasta and beans washed down with water. Mind, all the toilet roll might come in handy when living off nothing but beans and pasta...

By *r Discreet 75Man
over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

Who eats beans or tinned tomatoes for Christmas that's what I find strange

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Who eats beans or tinned tomatoes for Christmas that's what I find strange "

Beans on toast

over a year ago

Idiots simple as!

By *rNaughtyNickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Its been happening last weeks been a naightmare trying to get bottled shelves have been empty in my local supermarket. People are hoarding like squirrels !

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Media stirs it online for clickbait and ad revenue. Just install an adblocker.

over a year ago

Maybe they need to vary their diets/culinary skills, if this is all they bulk buy!

(not including toilet rolls)

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Mmm pasta and tomato for Christmas dinner

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Are they panic buying or are the stocks just running low with the driver situation? Can’t say I saw any panic buying in the supermarket today. There’s a shortage of treacle toffee though so if you could all refrain from buying it as it’s mine

over a year ago

"Mmm pasta and tomato for Christmas dinner "

Don't forget the toilet roll crackers

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

It only takes 8% of the population to start panic buying and the rest would have to follow suit or be left out exactly what happend with fuel

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Mmm pasta and tomato for Christmas dinner

Don't forget the toilet roll crackers "

Cheerful AND frugal, I like it!

Post new Message to Thread