Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Voluntary /community work

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was interested to see people listing voluntary work on another thread about what brings you happiness

So... what do you do, how did you get into it and what motivates you to do it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eardedTattManMan
over a year ago

Elland

I help homeless people through a local charity.

We set up community centres and churches in the winter months. Host evenings with food, games etc to keep people stay occupied and link then up with housing options that may help them.

To get deep - due to shit parents, I spent a year on the street when I was 16, always said when I get in a position to, I will help people not feel as though they're alone.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

[Removed by poster at 08/10/21 13:23:50]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I founded a big support network for breastfeeding mums in my local area. Did it for 3 years, had to take a break due to family and health reasons - just getting back into it.

Also applied to help women who experience domestic abuse at Women Centre near me. There are too many vulnerable ones around who get their lives destroyed by toxic partners/other family members. And many of them do not even realise how tightly their web spinned around them before it's too late. There is not enough help and understanding and I hope to return the goodness I received in the past.

By *obby1Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Agree with previous message. There are groups victim support etc but they are under funded and under staffed.

over a year ago

Nothing at the moment but it's something I've done on and off for a long time.

My most rewarding role was working with an adult literacy class - it's a subject I'm very interested in and we had a brilliant group that had fun while learning.

To be honest I've always got as much out as I've put in so it's been a pleasure rather than a duty.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I worked in an Oxfam shop when I was younger. Just popped in and asked if they needed any volunteers and started work the next day.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I don’t have the time with work and kids but it’s something I’d like to do when I retire in a few years.

By *avidagainMan
over a year ago

st.leonards on sea

it isnt much but i pick litter would love to do more things when i retire i hope i have a lot to give

over a year ago

I volunteer with a rescue organisation - less involved with call outs now, do more with training.

Mr

over a year ago

i set up an infant feeding and breastfeeding peer support group a few years ago now, before i moved out of area.

Obviously not charity work, but it did help people with their babies and feeding journeys Px

over a year ago

"i set up an infant feeding and breastfeeding peer support group a few years ago now, before i moved out of area.

Obviously not charity work, but it did help people with their babies and feeding journeys Px "

Aww ! High 5 x

over a year ago

"I help homeless people through a local charity.

We set up community centres and churches in the winter months. Host evenings with food, games etc to keep people stay occupied and link then up with housing options that may help them.

To get deep - due to shit parents, I spent a year on the street when I was 16, always said when I get in a position to, I will help people not feel as though they're alone. "

I find personal experiences really help us to connect with issues and clientele who need help/support/inspiration

It sounds very worthwhile

over a year ago

"I founded a big support network for breastfeeding mums in my local area. Did it for 3 years, had to take a break due to family and health reasons - just getting back into it.

Also applied to help women who experience domestic abuse at Women Centre near me. There are too many vulnerable ones around who get their lives destroyed by toxic partners/other family members. And many of them do not even realise how tightly their web spinned around them before it's too late. There is not enough help and understanding and I hope to return the goodness I received in the past.

"

Not having children I've never considered breastfeeding challenges /support but i vsn see how that would be very reassuring as a parent!

I would love to get more involved with supporting women escaping domestic abuse

.i will see what local groups there are to me

over a year ago

"Agree with previous message. There are groups victim support etc but they are under funded and under staffed. "

A lot of charities rely on donations from the public or businesses... wouldn't it be amazing if they were not needed

I imagine it's hard to employ people in the voluntary sector with so much criticism /publicity over paid roles.. But people still have to pay their own bills and look after their own families

over a year ago

"Nothing at the moment but it's something I've done on and off for a long time.

My most rewarding role was working with an adult literacy class - it's a subject I'm very interested in and we had a brilliant group that had fun while learning.

To be honest I've always got as much out as I've put in so it's been a pleasure rather than a duty."

That sounds really worthwhile amd must be incredible for the people you are helping. It must take a lot of courage for them to seek help too.. Huge admiration for you

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I do voluntary work for a local autism charity. Kind of similar to my own work but... they're not paying me. I also do other little things when I can for them.

Why?

Because people deserve help, support, whatever when they have a loved one/child on the spectrum, if they want it. That person does also.

Because I'm on the spectrum as are most of my family.

Because sometimes autistic people are non verbal and don't have a voice. I do. A loud one. So I'm going to speak up for those who can't.

By *EAT..85Woman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I volunteer in girlguiding and maintain a local farm's fish tank.

My paid job is also of a similar ilk and pretty cool.

over a year ago

"I worked in an Oxfam shop when I was younger. Just popped in and asked if they needed any volunteers and started work the next day."

My workplace allows people to support a particular charity through its fundraising shops - people love it

over a year ago

"I don’t have the time with work and kids but it’s something I’d like to do when I retire in a few years. "

Maybe you can persuade your company to adopt a charity or community group that you and your colleagues can help through the year with your skills /time?

over a year ago

"I volunteer in girlguiding and maintain a local farm's fish tank.

My paid job is also of a similar ilk and pretty cool. "

I like the diversity of yours.

And I forgot I volunteer occasionally with my kids scouts groups too.

over a year ago

I've been a Girl Guide leader, worked in a soup kitchen. Set up and run toddler stay and play sessions. Children's art clubs providing free holiday schemes and after school support.

over a year ago

"it isnt much but i pick litter would love to do more things when i retire i hope i have a lot to give "

Where i live there is a growing swell of litter pickers.. I'm amazed at how much rubbish they clear every week.. . I think it's a growing issue with flytipping

over a year ago

"I volunteer with a rescue organisation - less involved with call outs now, do more with training.

Mr"

Using your skills to impart knowledge is really important and training is often overlooked, but its very valuable to charitable organisations

over a year ago

"i set up an infant feeding and breastfeeding peer support group a few years ago now, before i moved out of area.

Obviously not charity work, but it did help people with their babies and feeding journeys Px "

It sounds love a wonderful thing to do (nice to see you back!)

over a year ago

"I do voluntary work for a local autism charity. Kind of similar to my own work but... they're not paying me. I also do other little things when I can for them.

Why?

Because people deserve help, support, whatever when they have a loved one/child on the spectrum, if they want it. That person does also.

Because sometimes autistic people are non verbal and don't have a voice. I do. A loud one. So I'm going to speak up for those who can't.

"

That is tremendous Meli

over a year ago

"I volunteer in girlguiding and maintain a local farm's fish tank.

My paid job is also of a similar ilk and pretty cool. "

Your real job is my dream job

over a year ago

"I've been a Girl Guide leader, worked in a soup kitchen. Set up and run toddler stay and play sessions. Children's art clubs providing free holiday schemes and after school support.

"

Ih you sound practical, multi-talented and organised!

over a year ago

I’m a “snow warden “ in my area. There are many elderly and disabled people that live by me and they rely on others for shopping and going out.

So when it snows I go out and clear and grit the roads and paths so these people aren’t cut of while the weather is bad

over a year ago

I volunteer with the local council as a Breastfeeding Peer Supporter. We support everyone who needs help with infant feeding and provide the information for mums to make an informed choice.

We have helped a huge range of people and it even includes dad's/grandparents who want reassured that mum is doing a great job!

We signpost to HCPs if necessary and get lots of newborn snuggles too

I purposely went back to my paid job part time so I could do the above voluntarily on my day off.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/10/21 14:06:24]

over a year ago

I should add to the above. My health visitor and mum are my motivators! My mum breastfed 7 children (yes!!) and did so to natural term (ie when it came to a natural and mutual end).

My health visitor seen how much I enjoyed breastfeeding and being an advocate for myself and others that she told me to go for it... So I did!

I was one of the first to set up a local breastfeeding group and it's gone from there.

Of course I should thank my children too, if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't be that interested

over a year ago

"I volunteer with the local council as a Breastfeeding Peer Supporter. We support everyone who needs help with infant feeding and provide the information for mums to make an informed choice.

We have helped a huge range of people and it even includes dad's/grandparents who want reassured that mum is doing a great job!

We signpost to HCPs if necessary and get lots of newborn snuggles too

I purposely went back to my paid job part time so I could do the above voluntarily on my day off. "

Love it.

And yes.. we supported family members too mainly to help them "mother the mothers "

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

I'm Santa's elf. Run the grotto and various other shiz. Not to mention wrapping over 1000 presents every year (so far this year 631 down, 512 to go).

And lifeboat.

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

[Removed by poster at 08/10/21 14:16:09]

over a year ago

Aah there's a few of us well done!

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I used to do cat rescue, massively rewarding, made lots of friends through it too.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Are volunteer workers sometimes exploited by charities?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I help facilitate groups of elderly people - reducing isolation is our main remit, but we also look out for health and wellbeing (including some safeguarding). In some ways we're a safety net alongside GPs (we work explicitly in conjunction with local GPs and adult social services).

It's incredibly rewarding but has been a lot more work during the pandemic - the burden hasn't relented yet.

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

What an uplifting thread! I'm looking at retiring soon and would like to do some voluntary work to fill in the time and there's some great suggestions here. I'd like to get involved in helping the homeless and also at a pet rescue centre.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Over the last 40 years I've volunteered with youth groups, an assistance dog charity and a search and rescue charity.

The time involved varied from an hour a week to a full day every week. I left the youth groups due to other commitments and both charities due to internal politics and am not currently involved in any charity work.

over a year ago

"Are volunteer workers sometimes exploited by charities?"

Strange question. In what way?

Mr

over a year ago

Exploited how ? They can't force you to do more than you wish to commit to? And most organisations I engaged with shows their gratitude to volunteers in various ways.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Are volunteer workers sometimes exploited by charities?

Strange question. In what way?

Mr"

The internal politics I mentioned above involved a certain amount of exploitation.

Volunteers were accepted into the charity and sent on various training courses which allowed the charity to apply for non specific funding.

The training was completely useless outside of the charity but the funding was used to buy new equipment for a handful of team members.

The volunteers incurred the expense of travelling to and from the training courses as well as an the promotional and collection days and had to pay for their own PPE while all money raised was squandered on the shiny new equipment which is still sitting in a container unused and unwrapped 5 or 6 years later.

over a year ago

"I’m a “snow warden “ in my area. There are many elderly and disabled people that live by me and they rely on others for shopping and going out.

So when it snows I go out and clear and grit the roads and paths so these people aren’t cut of while the weather is bad"

Oh one of my neighbours did this years ago.. Only he'd got d*unk in the pub then spent ages helping to push cars... He hadn't eaten and fell over in the snow and went to sleep at the end of our road .. I thought he was an attacker waiting to leap up and pounce on me.. It was early hours of the morning.. I was very traumatised

over a year ago

"I should add to the above. My health visitor and mum are my motivators! My mum breastfed 7 children (yes!!) and did so to natural term (ie when it came to a natural and mutual end).

My health visitor seen how much I enjoyed breastfeeding and being an advocate for myself and others that she told me to go for it... So I did!

I was one of the first to set up a local breastfeeding group and it's gone from there.

Of course I should thank my children too, if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't be that interested "

This is amazing - i think that's three of you now on one thread.. I never even thought about the need for such a service previously!

over a year ago

"I'm Santa's elf. Run the grotto and various other shiz. Not to mention wrapping over 1000 presents every year (so far this year 631 down, 512 to go).

And lifeboat."

Flipping heck! That's a lot of wrapping

Where do the donations come from?

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"I'm Santa's elf. Run the grotto and various other shiz. Not to mention wrapping over 1000 presents every year (so far this year 631 down, 512 to go).

And lifeboat.

Where do the donations come from? "

My dad donates them

over a year ago

"I used to do cat rescue, massively rewarding, made lots of friends through it too. "

Oh i am a failed cat fosterer.. Couldn't give her back

I support a local cat charity

over a year ago

Would you like to expand your thought process more, it's quite a wide statement.. My broad reply would be, yes I'm sure some do?

over a year ago

"I help facilitate groups of elderly people - reducing isolation is our main remit, but we also look out for health and wellbeing (including some safeguarding). In some ways we're a safety net alongside GPs (we work explicitly in conjunction with local GPs and adult social services).

It's incredibly rewarding but has been a lot more work during the pandemic - the burden hasn't relented yet. "

Oh i love this... I became a B:friender at the start of lockdown .. I was worried about what we would talk about each week, but the time flies by!

over a year ago

"What an uplifting thread! I'm looking at retiring soon and would like to do some voluntary work to fill in the time and there's some great suggestions here. I'd like to get involved in helping the homeless and also at a pet rescue centre. "

Isn't it just! I'm always amazed at how involved our fellow Fabbers are!

Good luck with finding a charity, there are amazing people doing tremendous work

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I help facilitate groups of elderly people - reducing isolation is our main remit, but we also look out for health and wellbeing (including some safeguarding). In some ways we're a safety net alongside GPs (we work explicitly in conjunction with local GPs and adult social services).

It's incredibly rewarding but has been a lot more work during the pandemic - the burden hasn't relented yet.

Oh i love this... I became a B:friender at the start of lockdown .. I was worried about what we would talk about each week, but the time flies by! "

Significant overlap with what I do - and yes, it's incredible.

Thank you, as well - you'll know how much of a lifeline it was during lockdown for those who aren't online.

over a year ago

"Over the last 40 years I've volunteered with youth groups, an assistance dog charity and a search and rescue charity.

The time involved varied from an hour a week to a full day every week. I left the youth groups due to other commitments and both charities due to internal politics and am not currently involved in any charity work. "

Oh internal politics can suck the life out of volunteers

It sounds like something you will return to when the time is right.. When it's in you, it is hard to resist

over a year ago

And lifeboat.

Where do the donations come from?

My dad donates them "

Wow.. My jaw just dropped open

over a year ago

Oh i love this... I became a B:friender at the start of lockdown .. I was worried about what we would talk about each week, but the time flies by!

Thank you, as well - you'll know how much of a lifeline it was during lockdown for those who aren't online."

I hope i get to meet them irl.. I feel like time is ebbing away

over a year ago

To be honest I've always got as much out as I've put in so it's been a pleasure rather than a duty.

That sounds really worthwhile amd must be incredible for the people you are helping. It must take a lot of courage for them to seek help too.. Huge admiration for you "

Thank you OP !

This is a great thread and has inspired me to look out for fresh volunteer opportunities in the New Year.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Over the last 40 years I've volunteered with youth groups, an assistance dog charity and a search and rescue charity.

The time involved varied from an hour a week to a full day every week. I left the youth groups due to other commitments and both charities due to internal politics and am not currently involved in any charity work.

It sounds like something you will return to when the time is right.. When it's in you, it is hard to resist "

Actually no, my days of helping out are behind me.

I've done it since I was 16 and no longer have the inclination or energy to help others.

over a year ago

That sounds really worthwhile amd must be incredible for the people you are helping. It must take a lot of courage for them to seek help too.. Huge admiration for you

Thank you OP !

This is a great thread and has inspired me to look out for fresh volunteer opportunities in the New Year."

Yaay i love this.. Good luck with your search.. They will be incredibly lucky to gain you

over a year ago

It sounds like something you will return to when the time is right.. When it's in you, it is hard to resist

Actually no, my days of helping out are behind me.

I've done it since I was 16 and no longer have the inclination or energy to help others.

"

well it sounds like you've definitely made a major contribution over those years x

Time to focus on yourself for a while, nothing wrong with that

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Thank you, as well - you'll know how much of a lifeline it was during lockdown for those who aren't online.

"

You bring them such joy

over a year ago

Not sure would be considered as meaningful as other posts here but used to volunteer on my local scene, helping at socials and events, helping new people find their way and try to help them avoid the mistakes I made

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Helped with several transgender support groups for a number of years. Dropped out of that about 3 years ago when mum died and I needed to spend part of my energy helping dad and all the remainder looking after my own mental health. At some point I hope to start giving my energy to others again, probably something general in the community as opposed to being specifically trans orientated.

over a year ago

Thank you OP !

This is a great thread and has inspired me to look out for fresh volunteer opportunities in the New Year."

Can always volunteer at Park run too ?

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Some of these buggers are exciting volunteers in my opinion.. think twice people, think twice

over a year ago

"Some of these buggers are exciting volunteers in my opinion.. think twice people, think twice "

Did you mean enticing ?

What's the worst that could happen

over a year ago

Husband does a lot of building work for pensioners and doesn't charge.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Some of these buggers are exciting volunteers in my opinion.. think twice people, think twice

Did you mean enticing ?

What's the worst that could happen "

People getting rich on your goodwill...

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

I've been finding it really difficult to offer my time. For the longest time any charity I rang just wanted my money and said they had no vacancies.

Then finally found somewhere just before Covid and it had to be put on hold.

My charity helps families who are victims of domestic abuse. My first placement didn't work out as the demand for support was very low. I'm currently waiting for my next placement.

I'm motivated because I think domestic abuse affects so many people and is so destructive. I also have been helped by charity in the past and now that I can, I want to give back.

over a year ago

I do lots of charity rides,mostly action on addiction,two years ago we had 600 bikes and raised nearly 10k for an addiction centre,I'm on the admin team,it doesn't even seem hard work,although it takes a year to put together,as soon as the last run is done,were planning the next,it's nice to give a helping hand

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've been finding it really difficult to offer my time. For the longest time any charity I rang just wanted my money and said they had no vacancies.

My charity helps families who are victims of domestic abuse. My first placement didn't work out as the demand for support was very low. I'm currently waiting for my next placement.

I'm motivated because I think domestic abuse affects so many people and is so destructive. I also have been helped by charity in the past and now that I can, I want to give back."

over a year ago

And yes we got a guy off heroin,who's now a counsellor,knock on effect

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"And yes we got a guy off heroin,who's now a counsellor,knock on effect"

Is anyone ever off heroin ?

over a year ago

You bring them such joy "

Thank you

over a year ago

"Not sure would be considered as meaningful as other posts here but used to volunteer on my local scene, helping at socials and events, helping new people find their way and try to help them avoid the mistakes I made "

I view it as improving your community and raising awareness, so absolutely

over a year ago

"Helped with several transgender support groups for a number of years. Dropped out of that about 3 years ago when mum died and I needed to spend part of my energy helping dad and all the remainder looking after my own mental health. At some point I hope to start giving my energy to others again, probably something general in the community as opposed to being specifically trans orientated."

Oh there is so much awareness to raise on transgender issues.. I imagine it was very hard and feels ilke one step forward and three back at times.. But wow, once it starts to gain traction, it's very rewarding to know you were part of contributing to that

Sometimes you gotta take care of those who need you most first

over a year ago

"Some of these buggers are exciting volunteers in my opinion.. think twice people, think twice "

Volunteering is very exciting.. So rewarding especially if you are passionate about your chosen partner

Do you do any volunteering Tom?

over a year ago

"Husband does a lot of building work for pensioners and doesn't charge. "

Awww heart of gold

over a year ago

"Some of these buggers are exciting volunteers in my opinion.. think twice people, think twice

Did you mean enticing ?

What's the worst that could happen

People getting rich on your goodwill..."

Find a local charity and give them your time.. That is your most precious commodity

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I used to do cat rescue, massively rewarding, made lots of friends through it too.

I support a local cat charity "

This is how I ended up with so many...

over a year ago

"And yes we got a guy off heroin,who's now a counsellor,knock on effect

Is anyone ever off heroin ?"

yes,he's definitely clean

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i pay the utility bills, business rates etc for two food banks in the area where i grew up.

i have donated the use of 3 houses to partner charities under the ARAP and ACRS.

i sponsor an autism charity.

i gift other charities whenever i think it is appropriate.

By *ornynorfolkguyMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

I can be in and around my village with my litter picker.

Not my rubbish but it’s where I live so I like to keep it tidy!!

over a year ago

"I've been finding it really difficult to offer my time. For the longest time any charity I rang just wanted my money and said they had no vacancies.

I'm motivated because I think domestic abuse affects so many people and is so destructive. I also have been helped by charity in the past and now that I can, I want to give back."

Oh i imagine that must be very rewarding!! It's lovely to be able to give back and know that you are helping others

over a year ago

"I do lots of charity rides,mostly action on addiction,two years ago we had 600 bikes and raised nearly 10k for an addiction centre,I'm on the admin team,it doesn't even seem hard work, although it takes a year to put together,as soon as the last run is done, were planning the next, it's nice to give a helping hand"

Wow! That is astounding it must nake a huge difference to the amount of people they can help

By *obbychickWoman
over a year ago

Essex

"I do voluntary work for a local autism charity. Kind of similar to my own work but... they're not paying me. I also do other little things when I can for them.

Why?

"

I absolutely love this Meli

over a year ago

"And yes we got a guy off heroin,who's now a counsellor,knock on effect"

That is a tremendous outcome

over a year ago

"I used to do cat rescue, massively rewarding, made lots of friends through it too.

I support a local cat charity

This is how I ended up with so many... "

i have three!

over a year ago

"i pay the utility bills, business rates etc for two food banks in the area where i grew up.

i have donated the use of 3 houses to partner charities under the ARAP and ACRS.

i sponsor an autism charity.

i gift other charities whenever i think it is appropriate."

Gosh that is a wonderful gesture

over a year ago

"I can be in and around my village with my litter picker.

Not my rubbish but it’s where I live so I like to keep it tidy!! "

Litter picking is very popular at the moment! It definitely helps the environment and the community

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

I've done all sorts over the years.. from working with teenage mums to domestic violence and other things.

Spent the last year or so working as a nhs volunteer and helping at vaccine centres.

Also help at a museum as a dinosaur geek

By *wist my nipplesCouple
over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"I should add to the above. My health visitor and mum are my motivators! My mum breastfed 7 children (yes!!) and did so to natural term (ie when it came to a natural and mutual end).

Of course I should thank my children too, if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't be that interested

This is amazing - i think that's three of you now on one thread.. I never even thought about the need for such a service previously!"

Oh, there definitely is! A huge lack of breastfeeding support/knowledge in the NHS and it can be very challenging.

I volunteer at my children's school - well, in a more limited capacity due to restrictions of late, but still trying to keep a sense of school community going.

Mrs TMN x

By *ornynorfolkguyMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

Litter picking is very popular at the moment! It definitely helps the environment and the community "

Most definitely. I also retrieve errant helium balloons that are drifting across the fields!!

over a year ago

"I've done all sorts over the years.. from working with teenage mums to domestic violence and other things.

Spent the last year or so working as a nhs volunteer and helping at vaccine centres.

Also help at a museum as a dinosaur geek "

How did you get involved with your chosen charities? They are very diverse!

over a year ago

This is amazing - i think that's three of you now on one thread.. I never even thought about the need for such a service previously!

Oh, there definitely is! A huge lack of breastfeeding support/knowledge in the NHS and it can be very challenging.

I volunteer at my children's school - well, in a more limited capacity due to restrictions of late, but still trying to keep a sense of school community going.

Mrs TMN x"

I imagine it's been a little taboo as well over the years , which must be very frustrating when you need help

over a year ago

Litter picking is very popular at the moment! It definitely helps the environment and the community

Most definitely. I also retrieve errant helium balloons that are drifting across the fields!! "

Flipping balloons.. So dangerous for wildlife

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Currently volunteer with a national charity as a COVID and flu vaccinator. I lead on fundraising for my wheelchair basketball team, which is a charity. In the past, I've been on a primary school governing body for 12yrs, 2 of them as Chair and have volunteered in a charity that supported people with specific health problems. I ran out of time!

I am involved with support groups online for breastfeeding support, women's health issues and the specific pregnancy related injuries I experienced.

over a year ago

"Currently volunteer with a national charity as a COVID and flu vaccinator. I lead on fundraising for my wheelchair basketball team, which is a charity. In the past, I've been on a primary school governing body for 12yrs, 2 of them as Chair and have volunteered in a charity that supported people with specific health problems. I ran out of time!

I am involved with support groups online for breastfeeding support, women's health issues and the specific pregnancy related injuries I experienced. "

I'm not surprised you ran out of time, that is a lot of volunteering! Which is your favourite?

over a year ago

North West

"Currently volunteer with a national charity as a COVID and flu vaccinator. I lead on fundraising for my wheelchair basketball team, which is a charity. In the past, I've been on a primary school governing body for 12yrs, 2 of them as Chair and have volunteered in a charity that supported people with specific health problems. I ran out of time!

I am involved with support groups online for breastfeeding support, women's health issues and the specific pregnancy related injuries I experienced.

I'm not surprised you ran out of time, that is a lot of volunteering! Which is your favourite? "

Probably the vaccinating. I feel like I'm making a proper difference and it's using some of the skills I've learned over the years. Although my basketball team is a very rewarding group too, the constant writing of funding applications is draining sometimes. So much paperwork and hoops to jump through.....

over a year ago

North West

Oh, and I used to go into school as a STEM Ambassador, to widen horizons about careers in the sciences.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Oh, and I used to go into school as a STEM Ambassador, to widen horizons about careers in the sciences. "

over a year ago

I'm not surprised you ran out of time, that is a lot of volunteering! Which is your favourite?

Probably the vaccinating. I feel like I'm making a proper difference and it's using some of the skills I've learned over the years. Although my basketball team is a very rewarding group too, the constant writing of funding applications is draining sometimes. So much paperwork and hoops to jump through..... "

You do become an expert at grant writing tho when you do so many !! Although sometimes the hoops you have to jump through are too much

It must be brilliant to use your skills during the pandemic crisis and really know what an amazing difference you are making .. Thank you from a grateful member of the public

over a year ago

"Oh, and I used to go into school as a STEM Ambassador, to widen horizons about careers in the sciences. "

Oh yes! We have lots of them at work

By *wist my nipplesCouple
over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Mrs TMN x

I imagine it's been a little taboo as well over the years , which must be very frustrating when you need help "

It's not that. More that there's so much misinformation and misunderstanding out there about breastfeeding. Plus it's a very emotive subject for many. The minute you try to advocate for it, someone shouts you down for bashing people who formula feed. X

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"I've done all sorts over the years.. from working with teenage mums to domestic violence and other things.

How did you get involved with your chosen charities? They are very diverse! "

the young mums because I was one.. and there wasnt many working in that area that have the life experience.. domestic violence because I am a survivor myself.

The dinosaur bit.. oh I got lucky and applied and my enthusiasm got me on the job x

over a year ago

Why?

"

I already liked you Meli, but this is special!

over a year ago

I used to coach junior rugby for a spell, and rescued my dog if that counts?!

over a year ago

Mrs TMN x

I imagine it's been a little taboo as well over the years , which must be very frustrating when you need help

It's not that. More that there's so much misinformation and misunderstanding out there about breastfeeding. Plus it's a very emotive subject for many. The minute you try to advocate for it, someone shouts you down for bashing people who formula feed. X"

over a year ago

How did you get involved with your chosen charities? They are very diverse! the young mums because I was one.. and there wasnt many working in that area that have the life experience.. domestic violence because I am a survivor myself.

The dinosaur bit.. oh I got lucky and applied and my enthusiasm got me on the job x "

dinosar jobs are not exactly 2 a penny

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering ish

Jesus, I don't have enough hours in the day to do my day job never mind volunteering for another!

over a year ago

"I used to coach junior rugby for a spell, and rescued my dog if that counts?! "

Oh definitely!

I used to have rescue dogs a long time ago

over a year ago

"Jesus, I don't have enough hours in the day to do my day job never mind volunteering for another! "

How about getting your firm engaged with a charity and let your employees use working hours to do some activities?

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering ish

"Jesus, I don't have enough hours in the day to do my day job never mind volunteering for another!

How about getting your firm engaged with a charity and let your employees use working hours to do some activities? "

They actually do a lot of charity stuff which is good and our MD ran the marathon last week for a charity

over a year ago

"Jesus, I don't have enough hours in the day to do my day job never mind volunteering for another!

How about getting your firm engaged with a charity and let your employees use working hours to do some activities?

They actually do a lot of charity stuff which is good and our MD ran the marathon last week for a charity"

Oh that's pretty good!

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

I volunteer with my dog

Mental health primarily

I get such fulfillment I can't tell you

Jo x

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"I help homeless people through a local charity.

To get deep - due to shit parents, I spent a year on the street when I was 16, always said when I get in a position to, I will help people not feel as though they're alone. "

Love this

Amazing

Jo xx

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

I've been involved in volunteering since the age of 11 as my parents were heavily involved with The Red Cross.

So I assisted at First Aid Posts for years and taught First Aid for many years. I don't think a year has gone by when I haven't done some voluntary work. I've had many roles with the MS Society and the carers group in Stoke.I was on the board of Governors at the local school, hosted fundraisers for Nepal, Homeless charities, and Prostate Cancer and set up a Facebook group to provide mental health support through the pandemic.

I now regularly volunteer at the local Vaccination Centre.

Volunteering will always be an important part of my life.

over a year ago

"I volunteer with my dog

Mental health primarily

Jo x "

We have therapy dogs in my workplace. It's a wonderful thing.

over a year ago

Helped at a homeless center in derby city for 2 years, got pricked with a needle because i refused to give her money.

Waited for weeks to see if id contracted anything.

Fu*k charitable work now. Never again.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Helped at a homeless center in derby city for 2 years, got pricked with a needle because i refused to give her money.

Fu*k charitable work now. Never again. "

Damn!

over a year ago

"I volunteer with my dog

Mental health primarily

Jo x "

Oh that sounds brilliant.... I love the ponies that you sometimes see in town that are used to help kids communicate /stay calm

over a year ago

"I've been involved in volunteering since the age of 11 as my parents were heavily involved with The Red Cross.

So I assisted at First Aid Posts for years and taught First Aid for many years. I don't think a year has gone by when I haven't done some voluntary work. I've had many roles with the MS Society and the carers group in Stoke.I was on the board of Governors at the local school, hosted fundraisers for Nepal, Homeless charities, and Prostate Cancer and set up a Facebook group to provide mental health support through the pandemic.

I now regularly volunteer at the local Vaccination Centre.

Volunteering will always be an important part of my life."

I love that it was engrained in you from a young age

over a year ago

"Helped at a homeless center in derby city for 2 years, got pricked with a needle because i refused to give her money.

Fu*k charitable work now. Never again. "

Oh dear, i can see how that would be a very distressing and concerning situation situation... Have you thought about non-contact volunteering?

over a year ago

Oh dear, i can see how that would be a very distressing and concerning situation situation... Have you thought about non-contact volunteering? "

No i knocked it on the head. If i ever do a enduro event and take sponsorship or ever sell anything small or like a phone thats come off contract i tend to ask for a donation to 'mind uk' thats asfar as i go now.

over a year ago

I used to do lots of charity work, ran one charity group for 16 years while my sons were at school. Took disabled children and their families on day trips. Then I ran one group that provided an after school club for disabled children at the local special needs playground. An after school football club for disabled children, helped at my children’s school, plus worked with lots of other parents to be ghe voice of disabled children regarding LA policy x

over a year ago

Oh dear, i can see how that would be a very distressing and concerning situation situation... Have you thought about non-contact volunteering?

No i knocked it on the head. If i ever do a enduro event and take sponsorship or ever sell anything small or like a phone thats come off contract i tend to ask for a donation to 'mind uk' thats asfar as i go now. "

Yep, understandable x

over a year ago

"I used to do lots of charity work, ran one charity group for 16 years while my sons were at school. Took disabled children and their families on day trips. Then I ran one group that provided an after school club for disabled children at the local special needs playground. An after school football club for disabled children, helped at my children’s school, plus worked with lots of other parents to be ghe voice of disabled children regarding LA policy x "

Oh my goodness that is a huge commitment, especially with your own family

over a year ago

I coach a youth rugby team its a good laugh parent politics do my head in mind you

By *r.SJMan
over a year ago

Wellingborough

[Removed by poster at 08/10/21 22:59:28]

By *r.SJMan
over a year ago

Wellingborough

Used to transport nurses and dialysis patients during adverse weather and part of 4x4 response team. The challenge of doing so was always good and the feel good factor made all the difference. Ended up joining after inviting the group to my other previous place of volunteering and organising a classic and sports car show.

And then was chairman and volunteer at a working steam railway... so not quite the normal volunteering as mentioned here but was still giving back to the community and also preserving our heritage. Started that in my late teens after being dragged there by a mate and having to be up at 6 on a Sunday morning to light and fire a steam train. Worked my way and enjoyed the challenge of running the place, organising staff, training, health and safety, maintenance, events etc. It was pretty much full time, alongside my engineering there and was proud to take it and turn the charity into a CIO and oversee some pretty big projects.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

How did you get involved with your chosen charities? They are very diverse! the young mums because I was one.. and there wasnt many working in that area that have the life experience.. domestic violence because I am a survivor myself.

The dinosaur bit.. oh I got lucky and applied and my enthusiasm got me on the job x

dinosar jobs are not exactly 2 a penny "

sadly it is not long term but I love telling people about the dinosaur

By *ungleTemptressWoman
over a year ago

The Jungle

Just spent 4 months volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary out in the amazon jungle, caring for and studying monkeys that have been rescued from the pet and tourist trade. Absolutely incredible

over a year ago

I volunteer as a Driver / Driver's mate for a Charity, that distributes surplus food from the Major Supermarkets, to smaller local charities in the community, that operate foodbanks and kitchens providing meals to those in need.

The surplus food that supermarkets don't sell and send to landfill, results in a charge to them. By donating the (in date) surplas food, the Supermarket avoid the landfill cost. The charity is then able to redistribute the food, to those in need.

It feels meaningful supporting the other volunteers who operate the foodbanks and community kitchens.

I also enjoy the physically demanding task of loading and delivering the crates of food. I enjoy the role. I like being White Van Man for the day.

over a year ago

North West

"Just spent 4 months volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary out in the amazon jungle, caring for and studying monkeys that have been rescued from the pet and tourist trade. Absolutely incredible"

Not. At. All. Jealous.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"Just spent 4 months volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary out in the amazon jungle, caring for and studying monkeys that have been rescued from the pet and tourist trade. Absolutely incredible"
wow that's amazing x

over a year ago

What an uplifting thread. Lovely to read

over a year ago

"I coach a youth rugby team its a good laugh parent politics do my head in mind you"

Oh yeah i bet parents are a nightmare

over a year ago

"

Used to transport nurses and dialysis patients during adverse weather and part of 4x4 response team. The challenge of doing so was always good and the feel good factor made all the difference. Ended up joining after inviting the group to my other previous place of volunteering and organising a classic and sports car show.

And then was chairman and volunteer at a working steam railway... so not quite the normal volunteering as mentioned here but was still giving back to the community and also preserving our heritage. Started that in my late teens after being dragged there by a mate and having to be up at 6 on a Sunday morning to light and fire a steam train. Worked my way and enjoyed the challenge of running the place, organising staff, training, health and safety, maintenance, events etc. It was pretty much full time, alongside my engineering there and was proud to take it and turn the charity into a CIO and oversee some pretty big projects.

"

Oh those are unusual ways to help.. I love it when you can share your skills... It make hard work enjoyable and satisfying

over a year ago

Oh my niece would love this, she is animal obsessed, would you mind saying how you found the opportunity? DM if you prefer

over a year ago

dinosar jobs are not exactly 2 a penny sadly it is not long term but I love telling people about the dinosaur "

We need an emoji (dinosaur)

This is the best i can do

over a year ago

"I volunteer as a Driver / Driver's mate for a Charity, that distributes surplus food from the Major Supermarkets, to smaller local charities in the community, that operate foodbanks and kitchens providing meals to those in need.

The surplus food that supermarkets don't sell and send to landfill, results in a charge to them. By donating the (in date) surplas food, the Supermarket avoid the landfill cost. The charity is then able to redistribute the food, to those in need.

It feels meaningful supporting the other volunteers who operate the foodbanks and community kitchens.

I also enjoy the physically demanding task of loading and delivering the crates of food. I enjoy the role. I like being White Van Man for the day. "

Oh this is great! My work place are about to partner with an organisation that provides this service - its very exciting to know you are practically helping people in need

over a year ago

"What an uplifting thread. Lovely to read "

I didn't expect to find so many people doing so nany amazing things

By *anae21Woman
over a year ago

Nearer than you think

What started as an initiative to feed the homeless on Christmas day has now become a year-round charity that runs a food and clothing bank from a town centre unit. Christmas Day is still the best bit, though. I wouldn't want to spend the day differently now; it's knackering but joyous.

over a year ago

Set up an animal charity while I lived abroad as there wasn’t anyone doing anything about the huge numbers of stray cats and dogs. Continued to do animal charity work when I came home. All my animals are rescued!

over a year ago

"What started as an initiative to feed the homeless on Christmas day has now become a year-round charity that runs a food and clothing bank from a town centre unit. Christmas Day is still the best bit, though. I wouldn't want to spend the day differently now; it's knackering but joyous. "

That is incredible

over a year ago

"Set up an animal charity while I lived abroad as there wasn’t anyone doing anything about the huge numbers of stray cats and dogs. Continued to do animal charity work when I came home. All my animals are rescued! "

I'm a big supporter of animal rescues , especially the small local ones

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I’m a breastfeeding counsellor, all voluntary with a charity. I got involved after feeding my children and struggling with my first.

Been involved in scouting all my life, at 18 I became a leader. Ready to leave now though.

Part of a speed watch team, I’ve got my gun and I’ll catch you

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

"I’m a breastfeeding counsellor, all voluntary with a charity. I got involved after feeding my children and struggling with my first.

Been involved in scouting all my life, at 18 I became a leader. Ready to leave now though.

Part of a speed watch team, I’ve got my gun and I’ll catch you "

Still involved in scouting after 30 plus years, when not working away.

over a year ago

Wow - that’s brilliant!

over a year ago

"I’m a breastfeeding counsellor, all voluntary with a charity. I got involved after feeding my children and struggling with my first.

Part of a speed watch team, I’ve got my gun and I’ll catch you "

Oo do you get to give tickets out for speeding, or is it more of a deterent??

over a year ago

Still involved in scouting after 30 plus years, when not working away."

My mum used to be an akela (sp??)

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Oo do you get to give tickets out for speeding, or is it more of a deterent?? "

More as a deterrent, education. But if we do catch people speeding we pass the details on to the police and they send a letter, third time they get a hand delivered letter from transport police

Post new Message to Thread