Back to The Lounge

FORUM CRAP RUNNERS- The return part 2

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January 2018, a bunch of Fabbers began improving their fitness through running. None of them were natural athletes but they did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (Mrs T used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it (I mean reeeeeeeeeally bad), you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RUNNERS:

Tell us what you’re up to with your running, your training and your races. Let’s us know your highs and lows. Please cheer on the newbies and give advice if they ask.

Finally- if you’re working towards a specific goal, share it here

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I'm meant to be going out tomorrow to do my homework for the beginners running club that I've joined, it's only 1.2 miles but that's a lot for me. I feel so tired though after all my exercise this week. Maybe I need a rest day tomorrow perhaps?

By *ussexualMan
over a year ago

Brighton

"I'm meant to be going out tomorrow to do my homework for the beginners running club that I've joined, it's only 1.2 miles but that's a lot for me. I feel so tired though after all my exercise this week. Maybe I need a rest day tomorrow perhaps? "

If it's too much run slow, then even slower than that. I did a really slow 30 minutes recovery run today.

There's some videos on the tube of you, search slow jogging. It's really beneficial for recovery and helps focus on technique, such as landing on the ball of the foot rather than the heel.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I went out after the school run and did 1.8 miles. I'm happy.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I went out after the school run and did 1.8 miles. I'm happy."

Well done!

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’m meant to be going out tonight after work for my third run of the week but my ankle is still sore from Weds.

I think that resting it would be prudent but I’m in two minds about whether to try an easy one on it…

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m just getting over an aggregated Achilles Tendon that’s stopping me running, so at the moment I’m just walking. But I went up snowdon last week and it held up.

I’ll get back to my woodland route soon I hope, as I miss it.

By *ussexualMan
over a year ago

Brighton

That's great we'll done.

I'm on a rest day today - they're as important as the running days, you need to give your legs time to repair and recuperate

By *offee and KinksCouple
over a year ago

Notts/Derby

I would love to take up running but I’m really crap at it - weight lifting I love and do 5 or 6 times a week but I know I need some cardio for my heart health

Maybe time to dust off my spin bike and get back in the saddle

Vixen

over a year ago

New head torches have arrived. They're flexible strip lights that wrap round the head, like a robot from the 70s/80s.

Looking forward to some spooky woodland runs in the dark

over a year ago

Ticked off one yesterday with a snotty nose and sleep deprived. Nothing stops me!

And another one tomorrow I have plan to try more challenging park run soon so need to put some work into it

Hope everyone is doing OK with their goals

over a year ago

Amazing just keep getting out. I saw your thing about needing a rest. I never regretted taking a rest day of 3 if needed. Went out later with renewed energy

over a year ago

Resting is the most important part of training. When you exercise, you cause tiny tears in your muscles. Your body repairs them and makes them slightly stronger so it's actually your recovery and repair time that makes your body stronger.

I'm sure that's a very simplified way of putting it, but you should never feel bad about your rest days!

over a year ago

Parkrun today in gorgeous Autumn sunshine. Just over 28 minutes which I'm vert pleased about.

over a year ago

"Parkrun today in gorgeous Autumn sunshine. Just over 28 minutes which I'm vert pleased about. "

Well done!

over a year ago

"Parkrun today in gorgeous Autumn sunshine. Just over 28 minutes which I'm vert pleased about.

Well done! "

Thank you !

over a year ago

I did parkrun today but with a slightly different goal. I always pace myself too fast on the flat bits and then end up having to walk for a bit on the hill at the 3k point, so today I was determined to pace myself a bit slower and not walk at all. I achieved this goal, although my time was a couple of minutes slower.

over a year ago

I did a 15 mile run first thing this morning. Pleased with the run although found it mentally tough from mile 11 as I have had a few training runs this week which have worked me hard.

Looking forward to tapering from next week.

NBVN x

over a year ago

"I did parkrun today but with a slightly different goal. I always pace myself too fast on the flat bits and then end up having to walk for a bit on the hill at the 3k point, so today I was determined to pace myself a bit slower and not walk at all. I achieved this goal, although my time was a couple of minutes slower."

Go Kitty ! I'm sure an even pace is key to long term improvement.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Parkrun today in gorgeous Autumn sunshine. Just over 28 minutes which I'm vert pleased about. "

Well done .......

I'd love to do 28 mins.

I pootle but I did 6.25k this morn. It always leaves me feeling good.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Note I didn't mention the time

over a year ago

"Note I didn't mention the time "

A Gentleman never asks.

6k plus is great. I'm sticking to 5 for now and working on time but perhaps next year I will start upping the distance.

over a year ago

I'm very pleased to report I got my goal

29:46 and I freaking punched the air. High 5 Leo ! We did it sub 30 !

over a year ago

"I'm very pleased to report I got my goal

"

We did, didn't we ? Well done and what a good way to start the weekend.

over a year ago

We did, didn't we ? Well done and what a good way to start the weekend. "

Yes ! Thanks friend

I'm super pleased I got it when I wanted it #worldmentalhealthday2021 tomorrow.. so yes my week couldn't get any better than already did and toasting with smoothie to best endorphins release!

over a year ago

"

Yesssssss! Well done!

over a year ago

I’m not particularly crap but I do like to run am I welcome?

over a year ago

"I’m not particularly crap but I do like to run am I welcome?"

Of course you are

NBVN x

over a year ago

"I’m not particularly crap but I do like to run am I welcome?"

Yes, everyone is welcome

over a year ago

Yes ! Thanks friend

I'm super pleased I got it when I wanted it #worldmentalhealthday2021 tomorrow.. so yes my week couldn't get any better than already did and toasting with smoothie to best endorphins release!

"

Awesome both. Fantastic to achieve a goal.

Mr

over a year ago

"I did a 15 mile run first thing this morning. Pleased with the run although found it mentally tough from mile 11 as I have had a few training runs this week which have worked me hard.

Looking forward to tapering from next week.

NBVN x"

If you will keep doing your long runs at your target MP they're gonna be hard xxx

Mr

over a year ago

Oh I feel very welcome

Thanks all.

Was meant to be running Chicago marathon tomorrow but travel has stopped that

over a year ago

"

That's amazing! Yay

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I'd love to join in with those running, but if I did, I'd wreck my knees as I have severe Osteoarthritis in both.

This was caused by my teenage years at Secondary School where I represented my School at County level Athletics and through into my early 20's when I joined athletics clubs. I buggered up my knees through sport!

over a year ago

Mickey here!

Started couch to 5k about Feb 2019 after not doing any really form of exercise for nigh on 20 years and have since been able to lose 5 and a half stone since.

Been keeping my running going ever since and now regularly knock out 5k’s at least once a week. Qualified as a PT in the summer and have really started to concentrate on my resistance training as well, doing a lot of squats and lunges as well as plyometrics to supplement my running but also to start toning my upper half as well.

Have also been migrating more towards interval running but have recently been looking at how to fit in mile repeats as well in order to move on to 10k and maybe half marathons in the future.

When I started running my knees and ankles were fucked and I had to do a lot of work to strengthen them! It was a long road and I never thought I was really into running but now I love putting my gear on, popping my headphones in and losing myself in my music

over a year ago

As with a previous post as well, your recovery is as important as how much you run! The worst thing you can do is push yourself to hard and end up pulling something or even worse tearing something!

Nutrition afterwards is vital as well, even as simply as eating a banana to replace your glycogen stores, and obviously you need to keep hydrated.

over a year ago

"I'd love to join in with those running, but if I did, I'd wreck my knees as I have severe Osteoarthritis in both.

This was caused by my teenage years at Secondary School where I represented my School at County level Athletics and through into my early 20's when I joined athletics clubs. I buggered up my knees through sport! "

My knees aren't good either. I think running is making them worse, but currently my head is in the sand about it

over a year ago

"I'd love to join in with those running, but if I did, I'd wreck my knees as I have severe Osteoarthritis in both.

This was caused by my teenage years at Secondary School where I represented my School at County level Athletics and through into my early 20's when I joined athletics clubs. I buggered up my knees through sport!

My knees aren't good either. I think running is making them worse, but currently my head is in the sand about it "

Try using an indoor bike after a run. Keeps the knees moving so the blood rushes to them but with less impact than running.

over a year ago

My knees aren't good either. I think running is making them worse, but currently my head is in the sand about it

Try using an indoor bike after a run. Keeps the knees moving so the blood rushes to them but with less impact than running. "

Interesting! I have an indoor bike gathering dust so perhaps I'll try this... Thanks

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Mickey here!

Started couch to 5k about Feb 2019 after not doing any really form of exercise for nigh on 20 years and have since been able to lose 5 and a half stone since.

Been keeping my running going ever since and now regularly knock out 5k’s at least once a week. Qualified as a PT in the summer and have really started to concentrate on my resistance training as well, doing a lot of squats and lunges as well as plyometrics to supplement my running but also to start toning my upper half as well.

Have also been migrating more towards interval running but have recently been looking at how to fit in mile repeats as well in order to move on to 10k and maybe half marathons in the future.

When I started running my knees and ankles were fucked and I had to do a lot of work to strengthen them! It was a long road and I never thought I was really into running but now I love putting my gear on, popping my headphones in and losing myself in my music "

Hi Mickey,

I'm really impressed by what you have done. No bull.

over a year ago

"Mickey here!

When I started running my knees and ankles were fucked and I had to do a lot of work to strengthen them! It was a long road and I never thought I was really into running but now I love putting my gear on, popping my headphones in and losing myself in my music

Hi Mickey,

I'm really impressed by what you have done. No bull.

"

Thank you, just wish I’d had the motivation to do it a lot sooner!

So glad I pulled my finger out of my arse and put the effort in though, it’s amazing how many aspects of your life you can improve just by getting yourself fitter and healthier, and I’m not just talking about weight wise

over a year ago

That's amazing! Yay "

Thanks lovely ! Something to drink to SOON.. all our hard efforts ! I just noticed your comment saying your park run has hills. Mine is mostly flat so that helps with time too! Well done for experimenting with strategies

over a year ago

Yes ! Thanks friend

Awesome both. Fantastic to achieve a goal.

Mr"

And already next one on my mind ! Thanks Mr and hope you recover fully soon

over a year ago

Yesssssss! Well done! "

Haha! You are a brilliant cheerleader not "just" runner

By *ussexualMan
over a year ago

Brighton

"

Fantastic, well done. On to the next challenge.

I was aiming for a fast(ish) 5k today, but something just wasn't going right. I warmed up as normal, started well with a good pace, but after 3.5k, I just couldn't keep it up (fnarrrr fnarrrr). Managed to run 7k in total with the warm up and cool down, but the overall pace was way off.

Sometimes you just have a run that doesn't go great, it can be mental issue rather than physical. I think in my case today my head just wasn't screwed on right

Importantly, I know it was just an off day, and I'll get back into training, probably with a recovery run tomorrow.

General advice for you runners, don't let any off days put you off, they happen to everyone.

over a year ago

I was aiming for a fast(ish) 5k today, but something just wasn't going right. I warmed up as normal, started well with a good pace, but after 3.5k, I just couldn't keep it up (fnarrrr fnarrrr). Managed to run 7k in total with the warm up and cool down, but the overall pace was way off.

Sometimes you just have a run that doesn't go great, it can be mental issue rather than physical. I think in my case today my head just wasn't screwed on right

Importantly, I know it was just an off day, and I'll get back into training, probably with a recovery run tomorrow.

General advice for you runners, don't let any off days put you off, they happen to everyone. "

So very true! We ALL have bad runs. And remember it’s all relative what is bad for one is good for another and vice versa l. Be kind and supportive to each other

By *uteLittleGeekWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere

I was so tired yesterday as hardly slept the night before. However, I am very disciplined about running so after doing dinner prep went out.Running light on! Half trail running half on the road. 10 and half K done.

It is just so rewarding when you complete it and have a great run that makes you fully energised.

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

"

Go you Rose!

Congratulations, what a buzz that must be!

By *he_Wite_NiteMan
over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

parkrun for me was a fun recovery run catching up with friends..

Started at the back of 300, and worked my way up the field chatting to folk as I went.

Really enjoyed it, got to hear lots of marathon stories, and still got a 23min finish.

A bit like Fab, it's about the social side as well as the active side...

Who is planning to do the Marcothon in December?

over a year ago

Go you Rose!

Congratulations, what a buzz that must be! "

It is, thanks dear. I've started a new training programme today with a benchmark run. Hoping to cut more minutes off by January

And kudos on your easy going 23 minutes. I slowed down to check on someone at my last park run as he was limping.. (and very handsome.. ) .. he was fine though and I made a lovely friend on my cool down walk . She is a marathoner and did 100 park runs . What a day it was! Perfect closure of a great week.

over a year ago

"I was so tired yesterday as hardly slept the night before. However, I am very disciplined about running so after doing dinner prep went out.Running light on! Half trail running half on the road. 10 and half K done.

It is just so rewarding when you complete it and have a great run that makes you fully energised. "

That's amazing self discipline. Go you

over a year ago

General advice for you runners, don't let any off days put you off, they happen to everyone. "

Thanks for sharing your not so great experience. I felt like that some days. No explanation rather than maybe too much stress day prior and not enough quality sleep for me. But you persevered and did a good distance. And it's nice to forgive yourself and move on to the next challenge. One day at a time eh?

Thanks for your kind words. And yes. I already have a next goal. Or two.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Just so people know, I’ve started a new thread and will (try to) do every Monday. That way we can keep up to date with progress

Post new Message to Thread