Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What would do if you found £200....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In an envelope on the floor?

Hand it in somewhere or keep it.

( This hasn't happened to me just curious)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

In the street, with no clues as to ID ? Keep it.

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Pocket it and wait for the tap on the shoulder from the camera crew

over a year ago

"In the street, with no clues as to ID ? Keep it."

Yeah I probably would too.

I've always been of the thought that if I can identify who it belongs to I will hand it in.

By *ookie doughMan
over a year ago

leic

Without evidence of who it belongs to I'd keep it,

over a year ago

A bit difficult, a sif hypothetically there is nothing on the envelope or inside it other than the cash then handing it in would have very little chance of it being returned to the previous owner. If that were the case then it sounds like money well spent in a charity shop on some jumpers, coats and blankets to be handed out among the homeless with the cold weather coming in. At least that way the charity and the needy on the streets both benefit

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Being soft as shit I’d feel too guilty to keep I’d keep thinking maybe the person who lost maybe really needed it and what it may take for them to recoup it. Trouble is making sure it gets back to the person who lost it I’d probably advertise somewhere local about unspecified amount of money been found and not say where and hopefully someone can say the amount and location to proof it’s theirs

over a year ago

I'd hand it into the police. If someone has lost that amount or money in an envelope they will more than likely end up at the police station to see if it was handed in. It's not like a fiver that has dropped out of someone's pocket.

I would feel guilty keeping and spending it.

over a year ago

Pass go.

over a year ago

Police. If it’s not claimed it’s returned to you. Only £200 not worth the guilt.

By *ildbillkidMan
over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

Take it to the bank, see how much the exchange rate is

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I would go full Sherlock Holmes and slove the mystery. Of course in order to do that I'd need to get an Inverness cape, deerstalker and new magnifying class. £200 should just about cover it and a trip to the charity shops in Kenilworth.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

Hand it in, £200 might not sound a lot to some but to others it’s the world of difference.

over a year ago

Coventry

"I'd hand it into the police. If someone has lost that amount or money in an envelope they will more than likely end up at the police station to see if it was handed in. It's not like a fiver that has dropped out of someone's pocket.

I would feel guilty keeping and spending it."

Generally these days when people lose wads of cash they tend to be the sort of people who want to avoid the police and not be asked questions about its origin. A lot of wads of chash found on the railway never gets claimed or looked for. Although I never envy the guy who has to explain he's lost the money.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Local police station

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

£200 in an envelope probably dodgy cash?

Would someone go to the police to say theyd lost it?

Without proof it was theirs police wouldnt be able to return to rightful owner.

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Police. If it’s not claimed it’s returned to you. Only £200 not worth the guilt. "

^^^^^ This

over a year ago

"Police. If it’s not claimed it’s returned to you. Only £200 not worth the guilt.

^^^^^ This "

How could anyone claim cash with nothing to identify it?

over a year ago

I'd give it to the police. I would feel absolutely awful keeping it and I'm fortunate to be in a position where I don't NEED £200. I mean I'd like £200 but I don't need it to get by but maybe the person who lost it does.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

I once found a £50 note in the back of a black cab in London. My instant reaction was to hand it to the driver, but hesitated. Felt a little guilty until I arrived home the next day. My son had some great exam results, so I said “well done, have this”. The look on his face was priceless.

over a year ago

"I'd hand it into the police. If someone has lost that amount or money in an envelope they will more than likely end up at the police station to see if it was handed in. It's not like a fiver that has dropped out of someone's pocket.

Generally these days when people lose wads of cash they tend to be the sort of people who want to avoid the police and not be asked questions about its origin. A lot of wads of chash found on the railway never gets claimed or looked for. Although I never envy the guy who has to explain he's lost the money."

If it's dirty money then just as well the person dropped it?

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Give it to Boris to get his hair cut

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple
over a year ago

Watford

Isn't that the prize in a Monopoly beauty contest?

over a year ago

I'd hand it in to the police. If it's not claimed in a certain period of time, it's mine to keep, but at least I've done the right thing.

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Aside from the obvious morality issues, you're legally obliged to hand it in to the police.

After a period if it is not claimed they will return it to you.

I would personally go further and advertise the finding of the envelope in local community forums to attempt to reach the rightful owner. They should be able to identify the colour, size and contents by amount and denomination if they are the rightful owner.....

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Police. If it’s not claimed it’s returned to you. Only £200 not worth the guilt.

^^^^^ This

How could anyone claim cash with nothing to identify it?"

I do believe that’s not for me to determine and therefore I’d leave it to the police. If it was returned to me because it wasn’t claimed I’d give it to charity

over a year ago

Coventry

Generally these days when people lose wads of cash they tend to be the sort of people who want to avoid the police and not be asked questions about its origin. A lot of wads of chash found on the railway never gets claimed or looked for. Although I never envy the guy who has to explain he's lost the money.

If it's dirty money then just as well the person dropped it? "

Although it tends to be just some kids who's been groomed in the running and will probably get either a serious physical punishing or even futher indebted into exploitation.

By *innerdateMan
over a year ago

Leigh

If it there are no identification names or anything on the envelope probably keep it although I may put something on facebook saying found envelope containing money ask for the owner to contact me and say the amount the envelope to prove its theirs (together with serious numbers in the notes ha ha)

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

The moral is: Always print your name and address on the envelope in case you accidentally drop the wodge on the way to the hooker or dealer (as appropriate). When you get there, make sure you keep the envelope carrying your identity after taking out the money.

An added advantage of this strategy is that the envelope could help identify you if you get beaten up on the way home.

over a year ago

I would feel guilty keeping and spending it."

This. If its not claimed within a certain amount of time I believe you can claim it.

By *omer47Man
over a year ago

leigh

Keep it. I was behind a guy at a cashpoint and he walked off, as I went up i found that he'd taken his recipt and left his money in the machine. I got my money out and done the decent thing. It was only £30 so I went after him and gave it back. He didn't even realise.

over a year ago

Strange how it's automatically assumed it's drug money by many, could just as easy be a little old lady's bill money or a sum raised for charity lost on the way to being donated.

over a year ago

"In an envelope on the floor?

( This hasn't happened to me just curious)"

I’d love to say something ridiculous offensive here !

But if in a shop I’d hand it in

If it was on the street yeah sorry but that’s getting spent on match attacks

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

If it was on the street yeah sorry but that’s getting spent on match attacks "

Match Attacks

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Pass go."

over a year ago

Match Attacks "

What’s funny ?

Doubt you even know what they are !

Stay in your lane and go play transformers top trumps

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Match Attacks

What’s funny ?

Doubt you even know what they are !

Stay in your lane and go play transformers* top trumps "

*Star Wars. Don't you know anything, chump?!

By *untime5Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I was in Tesco today and the checkout girl was crying because she’d lost her rent money. I felt so bad that I gave her £150. Luckily I’d just found £700 in the car park. God blessed me, so I should spread the love

over a year ago

"I'd hand it in to the police. If it's not claimed in a certain period of time, it's mine to keep, but at least I've done the right thing."

I'm actually not sure if thats the case anymore because im certain it changed but I could be wrong. I think it was something to do with criminals would sometimes "hand in" found items/money then get it back making it "clean"

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I saw this thread earlier and I still haven’t decided what I’d do

over a year ago

"Aside from the obvious morality issues, you're legally obliged to hand it in to the police.

I would personally go further and advertise the finding of the envelope in local community forums to attempt to reach the rightful owner. They should be able to identify the colour, size and contents by amount and denomination if they are the rightful owner.....

"

Actually that's not true. I just checked and this came up "according to the police, who say it is up to the individual what they do if they find any amount of cash – there is no requirement to hand over money you"

over a year ago

"Keep it. I was behind a guy at a cashpoint and he walked off, as I went up i found that he'd taken his recipt and left his money in the machine. I got my money out and done the decent thing. It was only £30 so I went after him and gave it back. He didn't even realise. "

To me that is different if you took the money because you knew who it belonged to.

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

"Keep it. I was behind a guy at a cashpoint and he walked off, as I went up i found that he'd taken his recipt and left his money in the machine. I got my money out and done the decent thing. It was only £30 so I went after him and gave it back. He didn't even realise. "

I had similar but didn’t see the person it belonged to, it was the days of when a screen would lift up once you put your card in, I did keep it but for days after expected a call from the bank

over a year ago

I found £50 folded over in sainsburys entrance once.. Clearly fallen out of a pocket.

I handed it in to the customer services. They wanted my name - i assumed it was for their records .. Was stunned when they called a few weeks later to say noone had claimed it, so it was mine!!

I'd treat myself to a spa weekend

over a year ago

I found a tortoise walking down the road once, after asking around the houses in the immediate area to no avail, I got my partner to put it on facewotsit, and within 24hrs we found the owner. If it can work for a tortoise I'm sure it would work for an envelope with an undisclosed amount of cash.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Hand it into the police of course. Anything else would be dishonest.

over a year ago

Hand it in of course

over a year ago

Wait to see if owner came forward if not give it all to cash for Xmas presents charity this past couple of years been hard for everbody firmly believe if we can put a few smiles on faces at Xmas

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

"I found a tortoise walking down the road once, after asking around the houses in the immediate area to no avail, I got my partner to put it on facewotsit, and within 24hrs we found the owner. If it can work for a tortoise I'm sure it would work for an envelope with an undisclosed amount of cash. "

Haha would think it was a surreal dream seeing a tortoise wandering down the street. Wonder how the owner lost it in first place it’s not like it can bolt out a briefly opened door like a dog

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Aside from the obvious morality issues, you're legally obliged to hand it in to the police.

Actually that's not true. I just checked and this came up "according to the police, who say it is up to the individual what they do if they find any amount of cash – there is no requirement to hand over money you""

Thanks, I'll check up on that as I hate giving wrong info. I recall a case only a couple of years ago where somone was successfully prosecuted for theft for pocketing 20 quid they found on the ground outside a shop entrance.

And more recently a rough sleeper for keeping a bum bag he found with cash in.

I wonder if the law has actually changed or if it's just enforcement of that's changed.....

I'll ask some police and lawyer friends and try to get an up to date answer.....

over a year ago

Actually that's not true. I just checked and this came up "according to the police, who say it is up to the individual what they do if they find any amount of cash – there is no requirement to hand over money you"

Thanks, I'll check up on that as I hate giving wrong info. I recall a case only a couple of years ago where somone was successfully prosecuted for theft for pocketing 20 quid they found on the ground outside a shop entrance.

And more recently a rough sleeper for keeping a bum bag he found with cash in.

I wonder if the law has actually changed or if it's just enforcement of that's changed.....

I'll ask some police and lawyer friends and try to get an up to date answer....."

Actually now you come to say it theft by finding is a crime. Think it's possibly the enforcement of a rather than the actual law.

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Had a quick dive into this and it actually looks really interesting.

The law looks to be entirely unclear on finders keepers, and case law, seems to revolve around two main aspects of "Abandonment" and "Intent"..... The law has to decide if it was reasonable to assume 'intentional or causal abandonment of the property' vs accidental loss or theft. And then it also needs to establish if their was 'intent to deceive or to commit theft of property' by the finder....

And then the law needs to verify whether you made an appropriate and/or proportionate attempt, under the circumstances to identify the rightful property owner and return the goods to them......

Its all quite complicated and potentially a legal minefield that gets worse and worse as the value of the goods involved increases.

To protect yourself It seems that you should make a variable, proportional effort to identify the owner. Eg. Pick up a fiver and it's probably enough to ask out Loud if anyone has lost money... pick up £50 and you should leave contact details at the closest surrounding stores or service desks.... Pick up £200 and you should probably report it to the police, at the very least, just do it o protect yourself.....

over a year ago

I’d spend it on a new hat.

over a year ago

I think I’d donate it , to that poor MP that is finding it difficult to make ends meet on his £81 K salary

over a year ago

"Had a quick dive into this and it actually looks really interesting.

The law looks to be entirely unclear on finders keepers, and case law, seems to revolve around two main aspects of "Abandonment" and "Intent"..... The law has to decide if it was reasonable to assume 'intentional or causal abandonment of the property' vs accidental loss or theft. And then it also needs to establish if their was 'intent to deceive or to commit theft of property' by the finder....

And then the law needs to verify whether you made an appropriate and/or proportionate attempt, under the circumstances to identify the rightful property owner and return the goods to them......

Its all quite complicated and potentially a legal minefield that gets worse and worse as the value of the goods involved increases.

To protect yourself It seems that you should make a variable, proportional effort to identify the owner. Eg. Pick up a fiver and it's probably enough to ask out Loud if anyone has lost money... pick up £50 and you should leave contact details at the closest surrounding stores or service desks.... Pick up £200 and you should probably report it to the police, at the very least, just do it o protect yourself.....

"

Very interesting. Thank you for that.

over a year ago

"I’d spend it on a new hat."

You can’t have enough hats right ?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/10/21 23:11:52]

over a year ago

"I think I’d donate it , to that poor MP that is finding it difficult to make ends meet on his £81 K salary "

Oh I heard him on the radio earlier, what a knob!

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

"£200 in an envelope probably dodgy cash?

Would someone go to the police to say theyd lost it?

Without proof it was theirs police wouldnt be able to return to rightful owner."

I put my £ for special gifts in an envelope.

Envelopes arent dodgy

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

If there was no identifying writing on the envelope and it was in a random place, not in a shop or somewhere it could be handed in too, then I would just stuff it into the Air Ambulance collection box in our local pub.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Keep it

over a year ago

"Keep it"

Bet you wouldn’t ?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Keep it

Bet you wouldn’t ?

"

Ok give it you

over a year ago

I'd use it to buy another £200. Then I'd have £400!

By *utie91Woman
over a year ago

Hitchin

Keep it.

All those who are saying they’d hand it in to the police… the police would never find who’s it was, so you might aswell not waste it

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Envelope in the street with £200, as I live in a small town hold on to it for a month. If I didn’t see anything on social media or local news I’d keep it. Then i would buy shares in Tesla at the moment or another company that was doing well currently. So if later I did find out someone really needed it, I could get it back to that person.

However I’d keep the profits (or accept the losses )

over a year ago

( This hasn't happened to me just curious)"

Donate it to the nearest charity. I’m not hurting for it and someone else’s misfortune could turn into another’s benefit.

over a year ago

^^^^^ This

I do believe that’s not for me to determine and therefore I’d leave it to the police. If it was returned to me because it wasn’t claimed I’d give it to charity "

^^^^^ This

over a year ago

^^^^^ This

I do believe that’s not for me to determine and therefore I’d leave it to the police. If it was returned to me because it wasn’t claimed I’d give it to charity

^^^^^ This "

Also This

over a year ago

"A bit difficult, a sif hypothetically there is nothing on the envelope or inside it other than the cash then handing it in would have very little chance of it being returned to the previous owner. If that were the case then it sounds like money well spent in a charity shop on some jumpers, coats and blankets to be handed out among the homeless with the cold weather coming in. At least that way the charity and the needy on the streets both benefit "

over a year ago

I’d hand it in.

After deducting my 50% finders fee and my £100 standard delivery charge

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Theft by finding.

A woman who kept a £20 note she found in a shop has been convicted of theft

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39130530

over a year ago

"Police. If it’s not claimed it’s returned to you. Only £200 not worth the guilt. "

This.

Mr

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Theft by finding.

"

That case is weird, so the shop took her to court?

over a year ago

Pay it forward

over a year ago

"Theft by finding.

That case is weird, so the shop took her to court?"

I'm not sure. It does seem to be that if she had found it outside the shop then she wouldn't have been guilty but because it was inside it was considered theft.

I sort of get that but still seems harsh.

Post new Message to Thread