Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Working strife

Jump to newest

By *atalie.. OP   Woman
over a year ago

Bolton

Imagine if you will, that for a few months you and another colleague seem to be doing much more shit in work than usual.

Then you work with a different part of the team today and question what is going on with them, and they basically say... I'm just doing as little as possible... and you then say but we all receive the same wage and bonuses, and you not pulling your weight is putting extra strain on other staff... and they just sit and shrug their shoulders.

What would you do?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have a word with their/your manager i guess.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Just do what you think should be your fair share ..

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

There might be a deeper rooted issue there. Perhaps they don't feel challenged enough and therefore put little effort because they know putting more effort in will be futile in the grand scheme of their progression.

If they're just lazy, I would speak to your manager and explain that your workload isn't manageable and you would like some help but would keept he subject strictly on you.

over a year ago

"Imagine if you will, that for a few months you and another colleague seem to be doing much more shit in work than usual.

Then you work with a different part of the team today and question what is going on with them, and they basically say... I'm just doing as little as possible... and you then say but we all receive the same wage and bonuses, and you not pulling your weight is putting extra strain on other staff... and they just sit and shrug their shoulders.

What would you do?

"

I helped to get a Supervisor demoted with that attitude....

Whistleblow

over a year ago

Just keep your head down and do your own work

over a year ago

Maybe they have reasons that you are unaware of.

As difficult as it is. Are you superior to them? If you aren't then that could cause a bucket load of fuss if you pull them up...If you do be careful and act sensitively. Management may already be aware of their issues and if they do then the person won't appreciate you sticking your oar in. There are too many whys and what ifs to be able to advise.

I handed my notice in at work because of mistreatment by colleagues, I have two weeks to go and doing the bare minimum.....

over a year ago

Join them. That's exactly what's been happening at my work for years. It's ridiculously difficult to get anything done. The company is dead. WFH, eat cake and sod 'em.

over a year ago

"Join them. That's exactly what's been happening at my work for years. It's ridiculously difficult to get anything done. The company is dead. WFH, eat cake and sod 'em."

Stand up for yourself don't be a mug!

over a year ago

"Maybe they have reasons that you are unaware of.

As difficult as it is. Are you superior to them? If you aren't then that could cause a bucket load of fuss if you pull them up...If you do be careful and act sensitively. Management may already be aware of their issues and if they do then the person won't appreciate you sticking your oar in. There are too many whys and what ifs to be able to advise.

I handed my notice in at work because of mistreatment by colleagues, I have two weeks to go and doing the bare minimum.....

"

It must of been a really personal problem you couldn't discuss with colleagues - so I feel for you over that. Pity your management team didn't pick up the signs of gossip and tornement you were having at work - and speak to the staff who were bullying.

It really should of been nipped in the bud at the start.

Sorry it's come to this. Awful.

over a year ago

"Join them. That's exactly what's been happening at my work for years. It's ridiculously difficult to get anything done. The company is dead. WFH, eat cake and sod 'em.

Stand up for yourself don't be a mug!"

I'm a doormat not a mug.

They really don't care.

over a year ago

"Join them. That's exactly what's been happening at my work for years. It's ridiculously difficult to get anything done. The company is dead. WFH, eat cake and sod 'em.

Stand up for yourself don't be a mug!

I'm a doormat not a mug.

They really don't care. "

Yikes!

Good luck whatever the wording!

over a year ago

My colleagues are mostly the same. A few pulling the slack of the many. Management not interested. Company is stuck in an old mentality and its definitely who you know, not what.

I've been winding down my efforts over the past few months. Used to happily go the extra mile but watching the most lazy of my colleagues get higher bonuses has demotivated me.

I plan on leaving eventually. Is that an option for you?

By *esSir99Woman
over a year ago

Norwich

Sounds to me like poor management skills. If staff think they can get away with doing as little as possible then some will do just that.

I would speak to your manager about the expectations of the job, how they know these are being met and what measures are in place to ensure all staff are doing them.

If there are none of the above in place, then nothing will change. Personally I wouldn’t get cross with colleagues who are less motivated and just plod along. Some people are just not team players or perhaps they hate the job. It’s the companies/managers job to ensure effective working

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Sounds to me like poor management skills. If staff think they can get away with doing as little as possible then some will do just that.

I would speak to your manager about the expectations of the job, how they know these are being met and what measures are in place to ensure all staff are doing them.

If there are none of the above in place, then nothing will change. Personally I wouldn’t get cross with colleagues who are less motivated and just plod along. Some people are just not team players or perhaps they hate the job. It’s the companies/managers job to ensure effective working

"

Agreed. Speak to the decision makers and see if they care enough to change things. Then see if they actually change things and re-energise the staff or at least give you a clearer route to earning more for working harder.

If they are incapable of doing that, then they are a massive part of the problem and things WON’T change, which leaves you with a choice to make:

- half-arse it like everyone else,

- continue to carry your colleagues but accept that that is how things are and stop getting annoyed by it, or

- leave.

I have just been through a similar process, identified a few things that I had become increasingly unhappy about, tried to work with management to have changes made, they delivered nothing (argued there wasn’t a problem, said it was impossible to change etc), so I quit. They then promised to do all the things I had asked them to do, but I knew this was just empty words to get me to stay and avoid inconvenience for themselves, and I have now left.

over a year ago

A lot of people feel intimidated approaching management on their own OP.

Maybe there are others who feel the same way as you - see if they want to make some changes so it's a fairer work place - by speaking to the Management/HR team together.

I've a lot of experience in this field, if you wish for further advice, then message me.

Take care

over a year ago

Change my job

Post new Message to Thread