Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should I persevere or give up?

Jump to newest

By *orthern Stars OP   Couple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I joined a beginners running club 3 weeks ago and I am struggling to run 3 minutes walk a minute for 10 times. I just can't seem to get my breathing right. I have been doing bootcamps and PT sessions for 5 months so I'm not totally unfit but just can't seem to get this running malarkey. I'm meant to be going tonight but I have to run a mile and I think I will fail. So I'm thinking I should just loose face, swallow my pride and drop out of running club and go to an exercise class another night instead.

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Go to running club. It isn't easy. People think that running comes natural it doesn't.

Stick with it. I still sound like a constipated seal when I run, and I've been doing it on and off for around 8 years.

Look at different running styles, zone running where you run with your heart rate in certain zones, jeffing. Just have a look around.

Your running club should be helping you with this, if they aren't find another one that is supportive of new runners.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Three weeks doesn't seem that long if you're not used to running so maybe give it longer ? Couch to 5k is a 9 week course for example.

But equally not all exercise suits everyone and it's important to find something you enjoy.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Go to running club. It isn't easy. People think that running comes natural it doesn't.

Stick with it. I still sound like a constipated seal when I run, and I've been doing it on and off for around 8 years.

Look at different running styles, zone running where you run with your heart rate in certain zones, jeffing. Just have a look around.

Your running club should be helping you with this, if they aren't find another one that is supportive of new runners."

Constipated seal,that made me chuckle. I think I maybe set off too fast to try and keep up with the others. Maybe I need to settle at being at the back and plod away.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Three weeks doesn't seem that long if you're not used to running so maybe give it longer ? Couch to 5k is a 9 week course for example.

But equally not all exercise suits everyone and it's important to find something you enjoy."

This is a 10 week course, 4th week in and have to run a mile. I'm really nervous.

I love my bootcamps so thinking I could give up the running.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Go to running club. It isn't easy. People think that running comes natural it doesn't.

Your running club should be helping you with this, if they aren't find another one that is supportive of new runners.

Constipated seal,that made me chuckle. I think I maybe set off too fast to try and keep up with the others. Maybe I need to settle at being at the back and plod away."

Yes, you have to find the pace too are comfortable at rather than punishing yourself trying to keep up with others . Improvements will come though, as long as you train consistently, stretch, and have adequate rest days.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"

Constipated seal,that made me chuckle. I think I maybe set off too fast to try and keep up with the others. Maybe I need to settle at being at the back and plod away."

Yeah, we're all guilty of this. I'm a plodder, I'll never be fast, but I'm determined and I get there eventually. The way I look at it, we all get the same medal, just some of us take in the scenery a bit more.

over a year ago

Keep going, push through, then come back in Six months telling us how well you're doing.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Do you think you'll enjoy the running once you got better at it? I struggled when I started dance classes after years of not going. And I hated it initially and found it frustrating. But I knew once I got into it I'd love it so that kept me motivated.

I guess that's my long way of staying if you like it keep at it, if not find something you enjoy it makes it easier to stick to.

over a year ago

If you’re not enjoying it, but you do enjoy boot camp, then do that.

I can’t stick to an exercise I don’t enjoy, and I never got on with running either.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

https://youtu.be/uiCRZLr9oRw

Cal

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

[Removed by poster at 04/10/21 17:34:06]

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Constipated seal,that made me chuckle. I think I maybe set off too fast to try and keep up with the others. Maybe I need to settle at being at the back and plod away.

Yes, you have to find the pace too are comfortable at rather than punishing yourself trying to keep up with others . Improvements will come though, as long as you train consistently, stretch, and have adequate rest days. "

Is snail pace acceptable do we think

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"

Yeah, we're all guilty of this. I'm a plodder, I'll never be fast, but I'm determined and I get there eventually. The way I look at it, we all get the same medal, just some of us take in the scenery a bit more."

.I like that attitude

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Keep going, push through, then come back in Six months telling us how well you're doing."

It's only a 10 week course and that's the other thing, I don't think it's something I would just go out and do by myself

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I joined a beginners running club 3 weeks ago and I am struggling to run 3 minutes walk a minute for 10 times. I just can't seem to get my breathing right. I have been doing bootcamps and PT sessions for 5 months so I'm not totally unfit but just can't seem to get this running malarkey. I'm meant to be going tonight but I have to run a mile and I think I will fail. So I'm thinking I should just loose face, swallow my pride and drop out of running club and go to an exercise class another night instead.

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs"

I have been running for a few years and still have a mental barrier when I set off! For the first 5 mins my head is screaming at me to give up, not today, your knees hurting and my breathing is allover the place. After 5 mins or so, I take back control and start to calm down, I think about any issues I have at work and resolve them, I think about my dinner etc, it is then I become relaxed and it all starts to become a little easier.

This works for me and I am guessing others have different techniques that help them get on top of the mental side of running. Keep at it at your pace

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Do you think you'll enjoy the running once you got better at it? I struggled when I started dance classes after years of not going. And I hated it initially and found it frustrating. But I knew once I got into it I'd love it so that kept me motivated.

I guess that's my long way of staying if you like it keep at it, if not find something you enjoy it makes it easier to stick to. "

No I don't think I will, but is that just because I can't do it right now.

over a year ago

You'll be fine. For the first few minutes of running your breathing always feels worse. It settles down once you find your rhythm and this process gets easier and faster the more you do it but never goes away.

When you do walk/runs you basically repeat that process and make it feel much harder, as soon as you start running longer it will get better - you just need to persevere. If you're struggling, slow down but keep going, it will get easier.

Mr

By *agertha73Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Take up squats, bench, press overhead and deadlift, much easier on the joints, and make you a better runner in the end (if that's what you want to do)

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I used to run and i found the breathing the hardest part. I just had to go slower. This meant I had to be extremely careful what songs I listed to on my IPod as some songs get you so fired up you set off like a rocket and you’re cream crackered by the time you reach the first available lamppost.

Pace yourself. And it does take time.

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

They shouldn’t be making you run a mile so early on, maybe a kilometre at a push but not a mile. Speak with the person that takes the session and tell them you’re struggling. When I come to breathing, it takes a while many breathe to shallow and quickly which makes them panic a bit and struggle further. Try counting at a steady rate either out loud or in your mind as it acts as a metronome x

over a year ago

Definitely keep at it OP, it takes time but it's definitely worth the effort. Good luck.

over a year ago

I hate running, although It was my main cardio for more than 10 years. Other than my assessment runs/bleep tests I ran on a treadmill at the gym so I could watch telly or listen to music whilst I was running. also I could alter my pace gradually as it suited me and my motivation was if you stop you fall on your face. When lockdowns stopped my going, my routine run was 6K in 30 mins which isn't too shabby for an old guy.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"If you’re not enjoying it, but you do enjoy boot camp, then do that.

I can’t stick to an exercise I don’t enjoy, and I never got on with running either.

"

Yes I love bootcamps and my PT sessions. I was just wanting to do something extra on top to try and drop a dress size by December.

By *ussexualMan
over a year ago

Brighton

When I started running with the Couch to 5k,one of the things drummed in was it doesn't matter how slow you run, the important is to be actually running (both feet leave the floor) for the running sections, so maybe try slowing down a bit until you find your pace and breathing pattern

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"https://youtu.be/uiCRZLr9oRw

Cal"

I'll take a look when I get sat down tonight

over a year ago

Persevere definitely x speak to the trainers about breathing as they should have some techniques but my only advice is take it at your pace and deep breaths through your mouth

You’ve got this, it will get easier

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"I joined a beginners running club 3 weeks ago and I am struggling to run 3 minutes walk a minute for 10 times. I just can't seem to get my breathing right. I have been doing bootcamps and PT sessions for 5 months so I'm not totally unfit but just can't seem to get this running malarkey. I'm meant to be going tonight but I have to run a mile and I think I will fail. So I'm thinking I should just loose face, swallow my pride and drop out of running club and go to an exercise class another night instead.

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs

I have been running for a few years and still have a mental barrier when I set off! For the first 5 mins my head is screaming at me to give up, not today, your knees hurting and my breathing is allover the place. After 5 mins or so, I take back control and start to calm down, I think about any issues I have at work and resolve them, I think about my dinner etc, it is then I become relaxed and it all starts to become a little easier.

This works for me and I am guessing others have different techniques that help them get on top of the mental side of running. Keep at it at your pace "

My breathing is horrendous, and I think I maybe start to panic a little because my breathing is so difficult. It does settle down the more I do but it's still a struggle. The mental side is what I need to conquer to make me keep going and plodding on.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Re breathing. One great tip I was given is distract your brain, your body will look after itself.

So I count, out loud, 1 - 13, then back down again. Your brain can only think about 1 think at once, so make the count louder, your body will take over your breathing.

Basically distract your brain from breathing.

over a year ago

Give up,running is obviously not for you.....I can't do cross trainer...nothing moves in the right direction...some exercises are not for everyone, find something you like

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Worth bearing in mind covering a mile on foot burns about the same calories no matter if you walk jog or run only difference is the time it takes. If the goal is weight loss rather than getting better at running you may enjoy walking at your own pace more enjoyable and easier to stick with. I can’t run for shit so just do long walks for cardio

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs"

You’re probably just going too fast, you can do it , everyone I’ve ever known do couch to 5k can do it and go on to run 10k, half marathon etc

That sounds too much tbh for absolute beginners running , I would try running 30secs walk 1-3mins etc

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Thank you so much everyone for commenting and your advice. I set off responding individually to you all but I'm running out of time..I am dressed ready to go but feeling nervous. I have more confidence for getting naked and shagging strangers in a club

By *ElectricityMan
over a year ago

Preston

The key with running is to relax and enjoy it. It's easy to over think what you are doing and end up tensing up and hey presto you'll get tight around your chest and breathing goes to pot. Pick a nice flat scenic route enjoy the views, go with a friend and chat, if you can't chat ease back. Running clubs are great and cater for all levels and will be able to help. Trust runners love passing on the knowledge. Keep up with your other exercises which you enjoy. Cross training is great and gives variety.

Good luck

By *ackdaw52Man
over a year ago

Chesterfield

The key is distraction.

Don't think about how tired and out of breath you are.

Fill your head with other thoughts like a sodoku you are stuck on, what colour you'll paint the living room, your top ten favourite desserts...anything.

Distract your mind and the miles will fly by.

over a year ago

"The key is distraction.

Don't think about how tired and out of breath you are.

Fill your head with other thoughts like a sodoku you are stuck on, what colour you'll paint the living room, your top ten favourite desserts...anything.

Distract your mind and the miles will fly by."

I agree with this. Music made a big difference for me, nice and loud and I couldn't hear my insanely heavy breathing over it

over a year ago

Start with less than 3 mins. When I first tried running I couldn't even go 30 seconds so I started with 10 second intervals and worked my way up - zero shame. It's progress not perfection

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Thank you so much for all your comments on here and the private messages.

I went running and managed 1.19 miles in 17 minutes, without stopping, did it at my own pace and controlled my breathing. I am chuffed with myself

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Thank you so much for all your comments on here and the private messages.

I went running and managed 1.19 miles in 17 minutes, without stopping, did it at my own pace and controlled my breathing. I am chuffed with myself "

Yay well done

over a year ago

I went running and managed 1.19 miles in 17 minutes, without stopping, did it at my own pace and controlled my breathing. I am chuffed with myself "

Wow! You went from barely 3 mins to 17?! That's quite the leap - well done!

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Once you’ve learnt a good breathing technique running becomes so much easier.

What I tend to do is breathe out on my fourth left foot, so I count in my head each time I land on my left foot and every fourth I breathe out and breathe in slowly between.

What this does is if you speed up then you’ll breathe faster as you’ll count to four quicker, as you’ll land on your left foot quicker.

You don’t have to use four, you can do two, three, four or whatever works for you.

But once I’ve got my breathing sorted you’ll stop counting and it’ll just become natural to breath in the same way…

Good luck

K

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I went running and managed 1.19 miles in 17 minutes, without stopping, did it at my own pace and controlled my breathing. I am chuffed with myself

Yay well done "

Thank you

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Wow! You went from barely 3 mins to 17?! That's quite the leap - well done! "

Thank you. I actually found it easier to do than the run 3 mins/walk 1 min for some reason.

over a year ago

YAAY! Well done

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Once you’ve learnt a good breathing technique running becomes so much easier.

What I tend to do is breathe out on my fourth left foot, so I count in my head each time I land on my left foot and every fourth I breathe out and breathe in slowly between.

What this does is if you speed up then you’ll breathe faster as you’ll count to four quicker, as you’ll land on your left foot quicker.

You don’t have to use four, you can do two, three, four or whatever works for you.

But once I’ve got my breathing sorted you’ll stop counting and it’ll just become natural to breath in the same way…

Good luck

K"

That makes good sense. Thank you for the advice.

over a year ago

Keep going if it something you really want to do. The body just takes time to adjust and we are all different

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Give it up. Life’s too short to be expending time and energy on something you’re not enjoying.

There are lots of ways of keeping fit and exercising, find one that suits You.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Keep going if it something you really want to do. The body just takes time to adjust and we are all different"

That is very true. I'm going to persevere as I made massive progress for me tonight.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Give it up. Life’s too short to be expending time and energy on something you’re not enjoying.

There are lots of ways of keeping fit and exercising, find one that suits You. "

I wanted to challenge myself though alongside doing my usual exercise.

over a year ago

"Keep going if it something you really want to do. The body just takes time to adjust and we are all different

That is very true. I'm going to persevere as I made massive progress for me tonight."

Sometimes the best runs are the ones we really don’t want to do pleased that you made massive progress tonight

over a year ago

Awww i think persevere, hopefully it will come... I bloody hate running, so good luck

over a year ago

Hello Mrs,

Don't give up, not everyone gets it straight away. You have done other forms of cardio which require shorter bursts of energy and breathing in a different yet controlled way.

My advice is to chat to the club trainer and explain how you feel and for you to accept your new challenge...its to learn to monitor and respond to your body.

Let me share my personal experience... as you probably know I love running but running isn't just about putting one foot in front of the other at pace. It can take me up to 3 miles before I relax and settle into a medium length run. I am monitoring my breathing, finding a comfortable posture, relaxing into the run after runners nerves...I still get these even on training runs, monitoring my pace, assessing the distance and eventually my body and mind relaxes which leads to a comfortable breathing pattern.

Slow your pace down, running isn't about being the fastest...not always anyway. The last thing your club would want is to feel that they pushed you too much, so much so you want to leave.

Also remember that some people take to certain activities at different paces than others. I can certainly guarantee that I wouldn't have any coordination or strength for the workouts that you have more experience in but you wouldn't want me to give up. You would share your experience and support me to keep at it.... please keep at running because when you reach your first goal you will be so proud of yourself for overcoming a personal challenge.

Good luck and keep us posted

NBVN x

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Keep going if it something you really want to do. The body just takes time to adjust and we are all different

That is very true. I'm going to persevere as I made massive progress for me tonight.

Sometimes the best runs are the ones we really don’t want to do pleased that you made massive progress tonight "

Thank you

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Awww i think persevere, hopefully it will come... I bloody hate running, so good luck "

Pleased it's not just me that hates it, but after tonight I hate it just a tiny fraction less.

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs"

First rule of running club, don’t talk about running club

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Hello Mrs,

Don't give up, not everyone gets it straight away. You have done other forms of cardio which require shorter bursts of energy and breathing in a different yet controlled way.

My advice is to chat to the club trainer and explain how you feel and for you to accept your new challenge...its to learn to monitor and respond to your body.

Let me share my personal experience... as you probably know I love running but running isn't just about putting one foot in front of the other at pace. It can take me up to 3 miles before I relax and settle into a medium length run. I am monitoring my breathing, finding a comfortable posture, relaxing into the run after runners nerves...I still get these even on training runs, monitoring my pace, assessing the distance and eventually my body and mind relaxes which leads to a comfortable breathing pattern.

Slow your pace down, running isn't about being the fastest...not always anyway. The last thing your club would want is to feel that they pushed you too much, so much so you want to leave.

Also remember that some people take to certain activities at different paces than others. I can certainly guarantee that I wouldn't have any coordination or strength for the workouts that you have more experience in but you wouldn't want me to give up. You would share your experience and support me to keep at it.... please keep at running because when you reach your first goal you will be so proud of yourself for overcoming a personal challenge.

Good luck and keep us posted

NBVN x"

Thank you for taking the time to write a long reply and for sharing your experience with me, it makes a lot of sense. Someone else told me it takes them 2 miles before they settle into it. The instructor tonight did tell everyone to go at their own pace, which made me feel a whole load better. It's definitely more than one foot in front of the other, a lot of it is mental strength too. I did the counting that someone suggested earlier when I was starting to feel tired, and it worked.

I will keep persevering and keep you posted.

over a year ago

No don’t give up, the key word with running is consistency, don’t think in terms of weeks, think months and years, of stringing runs together, that’s when you’ll see the difference. You’ll feel like you aren’t getting anywhere, then suddenly you’ll see improvements. 3 weeks is not enough time, stay patient and stick with it, just start with manageable goals and you will see results.

Starting out it’s about building your aerobic base, so running at a conversational pace, so you shouldn’t need to think about breathing, if you’re struggling to talk you’re going to hard, it’s only after you’ve built a base you can think about intervals etc, but you need that base to start with, think of it like a foundation to a house, once you’ve got that solid foundation then you’re far less likely to get injured.

over a year ago

There is no failing take your time go at your speed if you need to stop for a rest stop if you need to slow down to walk for a bit do so

Never look at it like failing look at it like progress

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"No don’t give up, the key word with running is consistency, don’t think in terms of weeks, think months and years, of stringing runs together, that’s when you’ll see the difference. You’ll feel like you aren’t getting anywhere, then suddenly you’ll see improvements. 3 weeks is not enough time, stay patient and stick with it, just start with manageable goals and you will see results.

Starting out it’s about building your aerobic base, so running at a conversational pace, so you shouldn’t need to think about breathing, if you’re struggling to talk you’re going to hard, it’s only after you’ve built a base you can think about intervals etc, but you need that base to start with, think of it like a foundation to a house, once you’ve got that solid foundation then you’re far less likely to get injured. "

Thank you for your advice. You are so right about building the base, start small and build on it. I learnt tonight that you really do have to find your own pace, and I did, and I made a small achievement. I will slowly build it up and hopefully keep on making progress.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"There is no failing take your time go at your speed if you need to stop for a rest stop if you need to slow down to walk for a bit do so

Never look at it like failing look at it like progress "

How true are your words, tiny progress is still progress isn't it.

over a year ago

"There is no failing take your time go at your speed if you need to stop for a rest stop if you need to slow down to walk for a bit do so

Never look at it like failing look at it like progress

How true are your words, tiny progress is still progress isn't it."

Yes it is and that’s all you have to remember

By *ob rodMan
over a year ago

lancaster

Your going to fast slow it right down anything faster than a walk is a run you don’t gave to be going hell for leather

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

"Three weeks doesn't seem that long if you're not used to running so maybe give it longer ? Couch to 5k is a 9 week course for example.

But equally not all exercise suits everyone and it's important to find something you enjoy.

This is a 10 week course, 4th week in and have to run a mile. I'm really nervous.

I love my bootcamps so thinking I could give up the running."

I don't see the point in doing something if you really don't enjoy it, just find an exercise that leaves you feeling happier.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Your going to fast slow it right down anything faster than a walk is a run you don’t gave to be going hell for leather "

That's what I've learnt last night. The instructor told us all to do our own pace instead of us all trying to keep up with each other.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

[Removed by poster at 05/10/21 07:24:31]

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I love my bootcamps so thinking I could give up the running.

I don't see the point in doing something if you really don't enjoy it, just find an exercise that leaves you feeling happier."

I already do lots of other exercise that I do enjoy but needed something extra. I may learn to enjoy it... possibly

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Keep going and maybe drop the pace a bit. When I first did c25k I got upset as I couldn't run all of the run bits in the first week. My dad, who was an avid runner in his day, pointed out that you don't gbe to run like mo in the beginning (or ever). Slowed my pace down and managed to do it all and had a little cry

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs

This works for me and I am guessing others have different techniques that help them get on top of the mental side of running. Keep at it at your pace "

I definitely recognise that “internal argument”, but I find that after a few weeks routine takes over and I do it more automatically.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Never look at it like failing look at it like progress "

Absolutely.

Beginners are way more self-conscious than they need to be. Speed doesn’t matter, taking walking breaks doesn’t matter, all that matters is that they are out there.

over a year ago

Massive well done, told you that you could whoop

over a year ago

Couch to 5k is good

I'd feel too pressured in a running club. The support may be good but it's easy to try to do too much and keep up with them rather than your own pace.

Couch to 5k really worked for me. And builds you up slow but steady

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Thoughts anyone?

Mrs"

When I started running I did what all men do and try and break a world record and was furious when I didn’t …

Then I found out about Zone 2 running… in short it’s a longer term programme designed to use your fat stores as energy and helps you run for longer… your initial times will be slow and you get overtaken by people walking but if you persevere you’ll get quicker. The good thing about it is that you don’t gasp for air… I am happy working out heart rates for people to know what they should be aiming for …

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Yes, you have to find the pace too are comfortable at rather than punishing yourself trying to keep up with others . Improvements will come though, as long as you train consistently, stretch, and have adequate rest days.

Is snail pace acceptable do we think "

As long as its faster than a walk, consistent and makes you puff, its acceptable as its doing its job.

Keep going at that pace and eventually it becomes easier.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"Keep going and maybe drop the pace a bit. When I first did c25k I got upset as I couldn't run all of the run bits in the first week. My dad, who was an avid runner in his day, pointed out that you don't gbe to run like mo in the beginning (or ever). Slowed my pace down and managed to do it all and had a little cry "

It really is about getting the pace right. Well done on your achievement, I don't blame you for having tears, I ban get like that too when I've done something I feel very proud of.

over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Thank you so much for all your comments, messages, useful tips and support. I am going to keep persevering

Post new Message to Thread