Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Metropolitan police again

Jump to newest

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

https://news.sky.com/story/metropolitan-police-officer-charged-with-rape-12425551

Further undermining of the police force. Only the bare outline of the charges in this report, I guess details will come out in due course. Is this just the tip of the iceberg though? Does the police need a total reform, with vastly increased vetting and monitoring of male officers, zero tolerance for any hints of psychopathy? Can women, or any vulnerable person, ever trust the police again?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"https://news.sky.com/story/metropolitan-police-officer-charged-with-rape-12425551

Further undermining of the police force. Only the bare outline of the charges in this report, I guess details will come out in due course. Is this just the tip of the iceberg though? Does the police need a total reform, with vastly increased vetting and monitoring of male officers, zero tolerance for any hints of psychopathy? Can women, or any vulnerable person, ever trust the police again?"

Tip off the ice berg

If you look at the me two movements

By *orkswatcherMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

The met have thousands of officer always going to be those that although are supposed to follow the law don't.

Just look at them during the 70s

By *licecdTV/TS
over a year ago

Hatfield

Innocent until proven guilty

over a year ago

Is it just the police we can't trust, or all men.

over a year ago

I would say tip of the iceberg.. My friend who worked in the police would tell me of sexual 'relationships' that the male officers formed with vulnerable young people

From what little else i know of the police through my connections, who work with current serving officers and retired officers, there also seems to be a lot of general corruption and also double standards... Some who are very high in the ranks. However, always two stories and i only know one 'hearsay' side

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

The dropping of recruitment standards and rushing through of Police numbers in order to meet Boris’s target needs to be put on hold and decent measures put in.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Cressida Dick isn't really fit for purpose any more.

There needs to be a radical overhaul, to ensure that they are all decent

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It's not just men in the force the whole system needs a shake up which has been long overdue many many years so the trust can be their and relied on those who are supposed to be the ones we has the public sector are able to turn towards.

over a year ago

The police are people. There will be as many corrupt/predatory/criminal police officers as there are in any other group of people, here on fab, your colleagues at work, your circle of friends, your family. Being a police officer offers unique advantages and temptations that may not be open to the general public so there will be officers taking advantage of them but the percentage of wrong'uns will be no different.

We really really really need to learn to stop putting people into boxes and then assuming everyone in that box thinks and behaves like all the others. You see it constantly on here with threads about men and women as though somehow the population is split into two groups, with all women thinking and behaving one way and all men another.

Being a police officer doesn't determine how they behave, being a human does.

Of course there are police officers who abuse their powers, the important thing is to have systems and checks in place to help catch and deal with this behaviour. Anyone who doesn't think the Met has made huge strides in this direction clearly hasn't read the judges remarks at the trial of Sarah Everard's murderer or understood how bad it used to be. Could it be better? Sure it could, does that mean we should blindly jump on the resignation bandwagon without any idea of what alternatives can be offered? Absolutely not. That is the behaviour of fools.

Mr

over a year ago

"The police are people. There will be as many corrupt/predatory/criminal police officers as there are in any other group of people, here on fab, your colleagues at work, your circle of friends, your family. Being a police officer offers unique advantages and temptations that may not be open to the general public so there will be officers taking advantage of them but the percentage of wrong'uns will be no different.

We really really really need to learn to stop putting people into boxes and then assuming everyone in that box thinks and behaves like all the others. You see it constantly on here with threads about men and women as though somehow the population is split into two groups, with all women thinking and behaving one way and all men another.

Of course there are police officers who abuse their powers, the important thing is to have systems and checks in place to help catch and deal with this behaviour. Anyone who doesn't think the Met has made huge strides in this direction clearly hasn't read the judges remarks at the trial of Sarah Everard's murderer or understood how bad it used to be. Could it be better? Sure it could, does that mean we should blindly jump on the resignation bandwagon without any idea of what alternatives can be offered? Absolutely not. That is the behaviour of fools.

Mr"

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"The police are people. There will be as many corrupt/predatory/criminal police officers as there are in any other group of people, here on fab, your colleagues at work, your circle of friends, your family. Being a police officer offers unique advantages and temptations that may not be open to the general public so there will be officers taking advantage of them but the percentage of wrong'uns will be no different.

Mr"

Exactly. Could be anyone in a trusted position/authority. Teachers, doctors, priests, MPs...

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Mr"

Well said. And enough of the misandry rhetoric.

I don't have a massive experience with the police and when I have its been mostly negative. But would I do their job? Never. They are humans not super humans.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think for the safety of women we should ask the police to stand down entirely and let people just sort things out themselves

It’ll be a much safer country that way

over a year ago

The old rhetorics coming out again and again to defend the indefensible.

Sadly rhetorics doesn’t solve anything.

Being a police officer isn’t a right. It’s a privilege. Sometimes that gets lost in the noise.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Mr"

Nothing anybody else says will even come close to the importance of what you have just said.

Logic and level headedness at its finest.

Except what I just said of course

over a year ago

"The old rhetorics coming out again and again to defend the indefensible.

Sadly rhetorics doesn’t solve anything.

Being a police officer isn’t a right. It’s a privilege. Sometimes that gets lost in the noise."

Who is defending what?

Mr

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Mr"

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I wondered how long before this became a forum thread.

I heard about it this morning.

He is charged. We don't know the outcome yet.

He was off duty. He was OFF duty.

He was OFF duty.

I'll just let that sink in.

over a year ago

"I would say tip of the iceberg.. My friend who worked in the police would tell me of sexual 'relationships' that the male officers formed with vulnerable young people

From what little else i know of the police through my connections, who work with current serving officers and retired officers, there also seems to be a lot of general corruption and also double standards... Some who are very high in the ranks. However, always two stories and i only know one 'hearsay' side "

Same with street sex workers. Some of my friends has to give out "freebies" to avoid arrest.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

There will be a fair amount of police bashing after recent events… read them all with a balanced eye…

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Puts Mrs. Angry of FABLAND voice on.

Well Mavis, that bingo caller was charged with assault last week!

All bingo callers are assaulters. Let's never trust a bingo caller again .....

Sack them! Employ new ones and SHUT ALL the bingo halls.

Bingo calling bastards !

over a year ago

Still a copper so on/off duty is irrelevant. Same department too...

I really don't know what the answer is. I can't help feeling it's just a general downward spiralling of what passes for our society. So much bad stuff going on right now.

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

Mr

Exactly. Could be anyone in a trusted position/authority. Teachers, doctors, priests, MPs... "

That's true look at the,sex scandal regarding priests etc

By *rPeachyMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I wondered how long before this became a forum thread.

He was OFF duty.

I'll just let that sink in. "

A Police officer doesn't stop being a police officer when they go off duty. Let that sink in.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Still a copper so on/off duty is irrelevant. Same department too...

I really don't know what the answer is. I can't help feeling it's just a general downward spiralling of what passes for our society. So much bad stuff going on right now."

Still a man. Still don't know what he did. Still don't know what she did. Still don't know ....... still don't know . Still don't know any circumstances..... none ....

Yeah it struck me that he was in the same dept.

Couzens wasn't your every day policeman from what i've read....... more like a souped up guard. Glorified cockey watchman at one point ...... still scarey how that qualified him to be in other depts.

over a year ago

If I need the police in an emergency then I'm going to call them.ive met some wonderful people that work for the met and had run ins with some real pricks.

I was rap3d by a postman, does that meen that all postmen are r@pists?

I was rap3d by a builder...... you see where I'm going with this.

People that commit these crimes come from all walks of life. There is no pattern. Sickos are just sickos.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I wondered how long before this became a forum thread.

He was OFF duty.

I'll just let that sink in.

A Police officer doesn't stop being a police officer when they go off duty. Let that sink in."

I already knew that.

He was NOT on duty. Shall I call all men abusers ?

He was a man. A man. He was not on duty.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"If I need the police in an emergency then I'm going to call them.ive met some wonderful people that work for the met and had run ins with some real pricks.

People that commit these crimes come from all walks of life. There is no pattern. Sickos are just sickos. "

Thanks for sharing. Sad you had to to make a point xx

over a year ago

"If I need the police in an emergency then I'm going to call them.ive met some wonderful people that work for the met and had run ins with some real pricks.

People that commit these crimes come from all walks of life. There is no pattern. Sickos are just sickos. "

I do get what you're saying but I think when it comes to the police and prison wardens actually they need to be Whiter than white because they have the ability to take away your freedom and you are completely at their mercy.

over a year ago

People that commit these crimes come from all walks of life. There is no pattern. Sickos are just sickos.

Thanks for sharing. Sad you had to to make a point xx "

Its a bit different though Granny because we have to be able to trust the police. If a builder or postman approached me in the street and showed me there ID I still wouldn't be getting in the car, if a police officer does the same I probably would.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I do get what you're saying but I think when it comes to the police and prison wardens actually they need to be Whiter than white because they have the ability to take away your freedom and you are completely at their mercy. "

Agreed. However he was not on duty and we don't know any of the circumstances yet.

We really don't know the 'relationship' or the gender of the other person or any of the circumstances so the headline should be MAN charged with r*** but let's face it that is not topical and won't sell papers

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I think for the safety of women we should ask the police to stand down entirely and let people just sort things out themselves

It’ll be a much safer country that way "

I could see crime levels rising and uncontrollably not having any How would anyone figure out what the correct punishment would be or should be how would this be tackled then you've other professional jobs who don't follow correct procedures.we should be going back to cavemen style

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Its a bit different though Granny because we have to be able to trust the police. If a builder or postman approached me in the street and showed me there ID I still wouldn't be getting in the car, if a police officer does the same I probably would. "

I take your point.

The point I am making is he wasn't on duty.

The should be whiter than white argument that some put forward simply takes away their humanity ...... like a police officer never argues with the wife..... never tells the kids off...... never drinks a beer ...... never gets emotional...... never has sex...... never gets into 'shady' predicaments when off duty....

He was off duty.

By *rPeachyMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Its a bit different though Granny because we have to be able to trust the police. If a builder or postman approached me in the street and showed me there ID I still wouldn't be getting in the car, if a police officer does the same I probably would.

I take your point.

The should be whiter than white argument that some put forward simply takes away their humanity ...... like a police officer never argues with the wife..... never tells the kids off...... never drinks a beer ...... never gets emotional...... never has sex...... never gets into 'shady' predicaments when off duty....

He was off duty."

You seem to be making this off duty point but I've no idea why

over a year ago

I take your point.

He was off duty."

However especially the Sarah evarard case there were red flags against this officer won only 4 days before the crime was committed. As a whole the police tend to stand together and cover for their own that is the corrupt part and that is the problem.

He may well have been on duty however he showed his badge.

I have worked in schools and Im A person those children would trust whether off duty or otherwise so I had to make sure that my conduct when out in public was appropriate in case one of the children saw me because then I would not be somebody very may feel they could trust and its the same for the police. Of course they are human but it's the coverup that's the problem. This particular case was 1st reported in 2019 and is only just being investigated.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

There was an article doing the rounds prior to this saying all the Met officers & civilian staff should be re-vetted.

Cressida is in a very fragile position right now, and they can’t promote her any more..

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I take your point.

He was off duty."

To be fair, off duty doesn't change anything. An accountant being off duty doesn't allow for breaking the law/rules or wrongfully adjusting numbers, they know how their job works on and off the clock.

What is important is that before he should even be viewed as a police officer is that he is a human. That single fact right there is proof enough that regardless of what your job is, nobody is immune to doing such dark things. He was a horrible human that went in to being a police officer. He did these things because he was human and gave in to/embraced darkness.

In a perfect world everyone would be in the correct job for their personality and nature. That will never happen.

over a year ago

I am completing guessing here, but I bet we will hear a litany of past allegations and misconduct of this officer. And questions asked, how this could have been better policed .

over a year ago

"There was an article doing the rounds prior to this saying all the Met officers & civilian staff should be re-vetted.

Cressida is in a very fragile position right now, and they can’t promote her any more.. "

I agree with this and I have friends who are police officers that all so agree with this.

My best friend used to work as 999 operator and they were regularly re vetted but our other friend who is still a serving officer never has been.

over a year ago

"I am completing guessing here, but I bet we will hear a litany of past allegations and misconduct of this officer. And questions asked, how this could have been better policed .

"

Sadly I think you are right.

over a year ago

What is the perfect job for a rapist ?

Serious question.

I take your point.

He was off duty.

To be fair, off duty doesn't change anything. An accountant being off duty doesn't allow for breaking the law/rules or wrongfully adjusting numbers, they know how their job works on and off the clock.

What is important is that before he should even be viewed as a police officer is that he is a human. That single fact right there is proof enough that regardless of what your job is, nobody is immune to doing such dark things. He was a horrible human that went in to being a police officer. He did these things because he was human and gave in to/embraced darkness.

In a perfect world everyone would be in the correct job for their personality and nature. That will never happen."

over a year ago

Sexual misconduct complaints against Met officers -

"There was a total of 594 complaints against Met employees between 2012 and 2018, of which 119 were upheld".

No record of whether upheld complaints were taken to court.

There will always be these issues when there's power involved. The Met has a problem. The main problem they have right now is that instead of coming up with solutions to this endemic problem, they're suggesting women flag down a bus.

over a year ago

"https://news.sky.com/story/metropolitan-police-officer-charged-with-rape-12425551

Further undermining of the police force. Only the bare outline of the charges in this report, I guess details will come out in due course. Is this just the tip of the iceberg though? Does the police need a total reform, with vastly increased vetting and monitoring of male officers, zero tolerance for any hints of psychopathy? Can women, or any vulnerable person, ever trust the police again?"

I was reading on another media platform yesterday, that even female police officers have had an horrendous time amongst some of the male colleagues. Usually the main reason they leave the force.

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

"There was an article doing the rounds prior to this saying all the Met officers & civilian staff should be re-vetted.

Cressida is in a very fragile position right now, and they can’t promote her any more..

I agree with this and I have friends who are police officers that all so agree with this.

My best friend used to work as 999 operator and they were regularly re vetted but our other friend who is still a serving officer never has been. "

When I was a 999 operator, I too was re-vetted on a yearly basis. Purely for the fact of the information I could access.

This needs to be standardised across ALL police forces, if it hasn’t yet been already.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"What is the perfect job for a rapist ?

Serious question.

If I need the police in an emergency then I'm going to call them.ive met some wonderful people that work for the met and had run ins with some real pricks.

I take your point.

He was off duty.

In a perfect world everyone would be in the correct job for their personality and nature. That will never happen."

good one

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Sexual misconduct complaints against Met officers -

"There was a total of 594 complaints against Met employees between 2012 and 2018, of which 119 were upheld".

There will always be these issues when there's power involved. The Met has a problem. The main problem they have right now is that instead of coming up with solutions to this endemic problem, they're suggesting women flag down a bus. "

Inews has a breakdown of each police force, number of cases, total dismissed and those charged.

Search for Scale of sex misconduct allegations made against UK police employees revealed: how does your force compare?

over a year ago

There will always be these issues when there's power involved. The Met has a problem. The main problem they have right now is that instead of coming up with solutions to this endemic problem, they're suggesting women flag down a bus. "

Definitely! I think they are not doing anything to ease concerns, just adding to them with statements like that.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I take your point.

He was off duty.

You seem to be making this off duty point but I've no idea why"

I know you haven't any idea why. Don't worry about it.

over a year ago

There will always be these issues when there's power involved. The Met has a problem. The main problem they have right now is that instead of coming up with solutions to this endemic problem, they're suggesting women flag down a bus.

Inews has a breakdown of each police force, number of cases, total dismissed and those charged.

Search for Scale of sex misconduct allegations made against UK police employees revealed: how does your force compare?"

Thank you, will look that up for sure.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I take your point.

He was off duty.

I know you haven't any idea why. Don't worry about it. "

To be fair I don’t either? Didn’t he use a police issued badge, handcuffs and other police issue things to commit the crime? Don’t those play a role in the abuse of power that helped him commit the crime? All things he wouldn’t have had access too without being in the police.

If he was off duty and just committed the crime I’d see your point, but he used tools issues to him by the police to facilitate.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I take your point.

He was off duty.

To be fair I don’t either? Didn’t he use a police issued badge, handcuffs and other police issue things to commit the crime? Don’t those play a role in the abuse of power that helped him commit the crime? All things he wouldn’t have had access too without being in the police.

If he was off duty and just committed the crime I’d see your point, but he used tools issues to him by the police to facilitate."

Different Officer.

We weren't talking about Couzens

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

And the 'officer' in the latest assault against a woman wasn't playing cop ....

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I take your point.

He was off duty.

If he was off duty and just committed the crime I’d see your point, but he used tools issues to him by the police to facilitate.

Different Officer.

We weren't talking about Couzens"

Ah my bad

over a year ago

On a mooch

Search for Scale of sex misconduct allegations made against UK police employees revealed: how does your force compare?

Thank you, will look that up for sure. "

It’s an interesting read for each force

over a year ago

"And the 'officer' in the latest assault against a woman wasn't playing cop ....

"

We dont actually know that and we dont know if his victim knew he was a police officer.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"And the 'officer' in the latest assault against a woman wasn't playing cop ....

We dont actually know that and we dont know if his victim knew he was a police officer. "

That's true. We don't know ANYTHING

over a year ago

We dont actually know that and we dont know if his victim knew he was a police officer.

That's true. We don't know ANYTHING"

We do know that it was reported in 2019 and only just being investigated so I'd say that is an issue in itself.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Apparently, they met on Tinder. They went for drinks. Then booked in to a hotel.

This man's hearing is in November. ( 1st)

In the current climate , given his job and given the hounds baying for blood and given the met will be shitting themselves im not sure how things will go .....

I don't know of any evidence and as I said at the outset...... We don't know. No one knows.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

We do know that it was reported in 2019 and only just being investigated so I'd say that is an issue in itself. "

According to my reading...... 'the alleged offence took place in September 2020

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I've no idea when it was reported though. Seems unlikely to be 2019 if my source is true.

over a year ago

We do know that it was reported in 2019 and only just being investigated so I'd say that is an issue in itself.

According to my reading...... 'the alleged offence took place in September 2020"

Yes I just saw that.

Either way why has it taken so long? Was it a case of we better do something and cover our backs?

By *ocktoplaywithMan
over a year ago

Derby

As with all cases of this nature, the person is still innocent at the moment, just charged, so he should remain anonymous. I believe this should be the same for all of these type of cases, where both parties should be anonymous. If found guilty then they deserve everything that’s coming to them and by all means name them. Also if a person falsely accuses someone of this then they should be named. Every time someone is accused and named, they get judged and sentenced by the public before the trial has even begun.

over a year ago

"I've no idea when it was reported though. Seems unlikely to be 2019 if my source is true."

It was reported on the bbc yesterday and sky news that the initial allegation was made in 2019.

over a year ago

On a mooch

According to my reading...... 'the alleged offence took place in September 2020"

Took place September 2020, when it was reported we don’t know. The person may have come forward recently, or it may be a case of the met now going through every complaint, double checking just as they did when the celebrity cover ups / no charges bought fiasco.

over a year ago

"As with all cases of this nature, the person is still innocent at the moment, just charged, so he should remain anonymous. I believe this should be the same for all of these type of cases, where both parties should be anonymous. If found guilty then they deserve everything that’s coming to them and by all means name them. Also if a person falsely accuses someone of this then they should be named. Every time someone is accused and named, they get judged and sentenced by the public before the trial has even begun. "

If somebody is proven to have falsely accused someone they are often named. However more often than not It isn't a case of the person has been proven innocent just that there isn't enough evidence for a conviction.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Cressida Dick isn't really fit for purpose any more.

... "

In case others don't know who she is, I always refer to her as 'Cressida Dick,head of Scotland Yard'.

How I enunciate it compared to how I type it can differ.

over a year ago

If we accept this corrupt, misogynistic, racist and corrupt bullying culture has been pandemic in the police forces for a while. We have to accept that the people who have reached the top of of these organisations will themselves e immersed in the culture.

So the present system of one police force investigating another is a completely farce.

Needs the whole heads of the forces changed from outside of the police and a completely independent investogary body to investigate complaints.

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Mr"

Spot on. Furthermore, the press have their own agendas. I don't recall seeing any media coverage of the judges extremely high praise for unbelievably fast, thorough and exemplary investigation that led to the capture and conviction of the evil Wayne Cousens. Only negativity about misogyny and police WhatsApp groups.

Was there the same hysteria and lambasting of GP's following Harold Shipman's conviction ? Should everyone now distrust all doctors? Of course not. There's a agenda and narrative that is extremely anti police. Would all those vocal and critical people wish to volunteer to spend a week as a police officer being exposed to the abuse and vitriol to get some sense of the degree of difficulty police face every day? I doubt it. I agree with another post though that there has to be a massive overhaul of recruitment. Since the 90's there's been a political need to attain certain numbers to reflect society and in order to facilitate this certain entry standards were compromised. It is clear that Wayne Cousens' case is an example. He was recruited from a civil police force because of a firearms certificate and I expect that more rigorous checks would have identified warning flag's if he'd applied direct from a civilian role. The enquiry will be interesting and I hope that recruitment will be vastly tightened up and compromises not made just to tick boxes.

over a year ago

Mr

Spot on. Furthermore, the press have their own agendas. I don't recall seeing any media coverage of the judges extremely high praise for unbelievably fast, thorough and exemplary investigation that led to the capture and conviction of the evil Wayne Cousens. Only negativity about misogyny and police WhatsApp groups.

Was there the same hysteria and lambasting of GP's following Harold Shipman's conviction ? Should everyone now distrust all doctors? Of course not. There's a agenda and narrative that is extremely anti police. Would all those vocal and critical people wish to volunteer to spend a week as a police officer being exposed to the abuse and vitriol to get some sense of the degree of difficulty police face every day? I doubt it. I agree with another post though that there has to be a massive overhaul of recruitment. Since the 90's there's been a political need to attain certain numbers to reflect society and in order to facilitate this certain entry standards were compromised. It is clear that Wayne Cousens' case is an example. He was recruited from a civil police force because of a firearms certificate and I expect that more rigorous checks would have identified warning flag's if he'd applied direct from a civilian role. The enquiry will be interesting and I hope that recruitment will be vastly tightened up and compromises not made just to tick boxes. "

There is a reason people mistrust the police and that is because of the coverup nature surrounding them.

The police protect their own and always have done and that is what people mistrust.

There is also a huge difference between a doctor and the police officer, A doctor cannot arrest you and take away your freedom.

over a year ago

"

Was there the same hysteria and lambasting of GP's following Harold Shipman's conviction ? Should everyone now distrust all doctors? Of course not. There's a agenda and narrative that is extremely anti police. Would all those vocal and critical people wish to volunteer to spend a week as a police officer being exposed to the abuse and vitriol to get some sense of the degree of difficulty police face every day? I doubt it. I agree with another post though that there has to be a massive overhaul of recruitment. Since the 90's there's been a political need to attain certain numbers to reflect society and in order to facilitate this certain entry standards were compromised. It is clear that Wayne Cousens' case is an example. He was recruited from a civil police force because of a firearms certificate and I expect that more rigorous checks would have identified warning flag's if he'd applied direct from a civilian role. The enquiry will be interesting and I hope that recruitment will be vastly tightened up and compromises not made just to tick boxes. "

While I agree standards should not be dropped to recruit numbers or tick boxes. I still think the police should reflect the community they represent in terms of race,gender and religion.

In my home city of Glasgow, we had a police force that was believed to represent a certain side if the sectarian divide. That creates problems.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

Was there the same hysteria and lambasting of GP's following Harold Shipman's conviction ? Should everyone now distrust all doctors? Of course not. There's a agenda and narrative that is extremely anti police. Would all those vocal and critical people wish to volunteer to spend a week as a police officer being exposed to the abuse and vitriol to get some sense of the degree of difficulty police face every day? I doubt it. I agree with another post though that there has to be a massive overhaul of recruitment. Since the 90's there's been a political need to attain certain numbers to reflect society and in order to facilitate this certain entry standards were compromised. It is clear that Wayne Cousens' case is an example. He was recruited from a civil police force because of a firearms certificate and I expect that more rigorous checks would have identified warning flag's if he'd applied direct from a civilian role. The enquiry will be interesting and I hope that recruitment will be vastly tightened up and compromises not made just to tick boxes.

While I agree standards should not be dropped to recruit numbers or tick boxes. I still think the police should reflect the community they represent in terms of race,gender and religion.

In my home city of Glasgow, we had a police force that was believed to represent a certain side if the sectarian divide. That creates problems."

Quotas? What about sexuality?

Disability? Height?

Surely the police service should be the ones who can do the job they need to do the best?

By *ose and her beastCouple
over a year ago

Watford

At least we don't have Americas police force yikes

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

Mr

Nothing anybody else says will even come close to the importance of what you have just said.

Logic and level headedness at its finest.

Except what I just said of course "

That’s the problem with logic; it can reduce the subject to a simplistic level. Yes there are bad elements in every walk of life but the problem is they are allowed to fester and become institutionalised. This taints the entire system and there is a risk that more and more members become bad elements. This institutionalised behaviour even spreads to those supposed to enforce the checks and balances.

Just saying “there are bad people in all walks of life” glosses over this.

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Mr

There is a reason people mistrust the police and that is because of the coverup nature surrounding them.

The police protect their own and always have done and that is what people mistrust.

There is also a huge difference between a doctor and the police officer, A doctor cannot arrest you and take away your freedom. "

How naive. The day's of police cover ups and TV depictions of police in the 70's and 80's is a long time ago. How do you think you begin to cover something up with CCTV, mobile phones, GPS, and body worn cameras as a part of every day policing? Get real and stop following the usual hysterical comments.

Yes, you're right, you can't compare doctors and police. A police officer can only arrest you, not administer lethal drugs and get away with it for years. Behave.

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

Also people bringing up Shipman need to realise there was a fundamental shake up of GPs and elderly care after he was caught. People didn’t say “oh well there’s always bad apples”. Actions were taken to prevent it happening again.

over a year ago

"If we accept this corrupt, misogynistic, racist and corrupt bullying culture has been pandemic in the police forces for a while. We have to accept that the people who have reached the top of of these organisations will themselves e immersed in the culture.

So the present system of one police force investigating another is a completely farce.

Needs the whole heads of the forces changed from outside of the police and a completely independent investogary body to investigate complaints. "

Police Forces only investigate each other for relatively low level stuff. Serious stuff is investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. Nothing to do with the police.

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

"If we accept this corrupt, misogynistic, racist and corrupt bullying culture has been pandemic in the police forces for a while. We have to accept that the people who have reached the top of of these organisations will themselves e immersed in the culture.

Needs the whole heads of the forces changed from outside of the police and a completely independent investogary body to investigate complaints.

Police Forces only investigate each other for relatively low level stuff. Serious stuff is investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. Nothing to do with the police."

But only if the wrongdoing is discovered or referred to them AFAIK. If criminal acts occur and kept quiet they never get to investigate them.

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

Mr

There is also a huge difference between a doctor and the police officer, A doctor cannot arrest you and take away your freedom. "

I’m puzzled how you think a rogue police officer is capable of taking away someone’s freedom. Or Prison staff for that matter…

over a year ago

Police Forces only investigate each other for relatively low level stuff. Serious stuff is investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. Nothing to do with the police.

But only if the wrongdoing is discovered or referred to them AFAIK. If criminal acts occur and kept quiet they never get to investigate them."

So just like the rest of the country then? Some things are automatically referred to IOPC, and other things forces can self refer if they choose.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"

Drs deal with life and death situations, so yes they can take away your freedom, they can take your life? Or hinder it a great deal.

over a year ago

Mr

There is also a huge difference between a doctor and the police officer, A doctor cannot arrest you and take away your freedom.

I’m puzzled how you think a rogue police officer is capable of taking away someone’s freedom. Or Prison staff for that matter… "

It's OK you can stay puzzled you don't need to understand my thought process.

over a year ago

"Also people bringing up Shipman need to realise there was a fundamental shake up of GPs and elderly care after he was caught. People didn’t say “oh well there’s always bad apples”. Actions were taken to prevent it happening again."

Exactly!

over a year ago

Mr

How naive. The day's of police cover ups and TV depictions of police in the 70's and 80's is a long time ago. How do you think you begin to cover something up with CCTV, mobile phones, GPS, and body worn cameras as a part of every day policing? Get real and stop following the usual hysterical comments.

Yes, you're right, you can't compare doctors and police. A police officer can only arrest you, not administer lethal drugs and get away with it for years. Behave."

No it's not in the Sarah Everard case there are offices being investigated because they tried to help him cover up and change statements. I'm suggesting it's not me that's nieve.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

People both male and female have a lot more to lose by not trusting the police than trusting them. If people decide they don't trust the police based on a relative handful of bad apples where do they go when they need help in an emergency?

How binary our discussions have become when one minute we're hailing the bravery of officers killed and injured in the line of duty and the next minute we're asking if we can trust them at all.

The reality is that for every woman who's been the victim of serious assault or worse at the hands of police officers, countless hundreds more have been protected from that fate by other police officers (the vast majority) putting themselves in harm's way to do so. As horrific as these tragedies are, we must put this into some sensible perspective. By all means do better and more thorough checks but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Demonising the police service isn't going to make it perform better, it'll just prevent even more people from wanting to be police. What do we all do then? What's needed is a sensible debate and properly considered action, not a kneejerk response driven by social media hyperbole and political opportunism.

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

Mr

I’m puzzled how you think a rogue police officer is capable of taking away someone’s freedom. Or Prison staff for that matter…

It's OK you can stay puzzled you don't need to understand my thought process. "

Fine, but don’t go spreading false information

over a year ago

"The met have thousands of officer always going to be those that although are supposed to follow the law don't.

Just look at them during the 70s"

Gene Hunt was a legend….

over a year ago

Mr

Fine, but don’t go spreading false information "

Sorry that how is my opinion spreading false information. Am I not right that a police officer has the power to detain you? Please dont accuse me of things I haven't done and I'm allowed an opinion you dont have to agree with it but could you show me where anything I have said is spreading false information?

There have been several cases where people have been treated inappropriately while in police custody and that is what I am referring to so my point stands.

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

"People both male and female have a lot more to lose by not trusting the police than trusting them. If people decide they don't trust the police based on a relative handful of bad apples where do they go when they need help in an emergency?

How binary our discussions have become when one minute we're hailing the bravery of officers killed and injured in the line of duty and the next minute we're asking if we can trust them at all.

The reality is that for every woman who's been the victim of serious assault or worse at the hands of police officers, countless hundreds more have been protected from that fate by other police officers (the vast majority) putting themselves in harm's way to do so. As horrific as these tragedies are, we must put this into some sensible perspective. By all means do better and more thorough checks but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Demonising the police service isn't going to make it perform better, it'll just prevent even more people from wanting to be police. What do we all do then? What's needed is a sensible debate and properly considered action, not a kneejerk response driven by social media hyperbole and political opportunism.

"

Again, spot on. It's amazing how many police hater's will be the first to shout the loudest for help when they need them. There's always going to be a need for reviewing process and investigating and rooting out bad apples but the vast majority are doing a thankless job in the most testing of conditions without support and the majority really care about what they do and try to make a difference and secure a better outcome for victims of crime.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Mr

Sorry that how is my opinion spreading false information. Am I not right that a police officer has the power to detain you? Please dont accuse me of things I haven't done and I'm allowed an opinion you dont have to agree with it but could you show me where anything I have said is spreading false information?

There have been several cases where people have been treated inappropriately while in police custody and that is what I am referring to so my point stands. "

In his defence asking someone to clarify something and just refusing to do so screens false information to most people

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/10/21 15:32:13]

over a year ago

Mr

There have been several cases where people have been treated inappropriately while in police custody and that is what I am referring to so my point stands.

In his defence asking someone to clarify something and just refusing to do so screens false information to most people "

Sorry but what part of a police officer can detain you and take away your freedom is false?

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Mr

In his defence asking someone to clarify something and just refusing to do so screens false information to most people

Sorry but what part of a police officer can detain you and take away your freedom is false? "

I agree with you

It’s the way you handled his polite request to clarify I disagreed with.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"The dropping of recruitment standards and rushing through of Police numbers in order to meet Boris’s target needs to be put on hold and decent measures put in. "

Dropping of standards? Do have any idea how difficult it is to get into the Police?

J x

over a year ago

Mr

Sorry but what part of a police officer can detain you and take away your freedom is false?

I agree with you

It’s the way you handled his polite request to clarify I disagreed with. "

Why because I dared to say no?

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Mr

I agree with you

"

No because saying

Screams “I can’t back up what I’m saying” or that your just rude

over a year ago

Mr

I agree with you

No because saying

Screams “I can’t back up what I’m saying” or that your just rude "

Or he just wanted to challenge me because he didn't agree with me because as we have already established what I said was absolutely correct and not false information, anyway this is now pointless argument and I dont appreciate being singled out but thank you for your comments anyway.

over a year ago

The issue is how do you vet people.

Vetting only proves they haven’t done anything or gotten caught. There is no 100% proof way of ensure the people you employ are trustworthy.

The police force is one of those professions that will attract abusers because they hold a level of power.

It’s a sucky position to be in, something needs to change but I’m not sure what can realistically make a a difference.

A DBS only proves that you haven’t done anything yet.

over a year ago

"The issue is how do you vet people.

Vetting only proves they haven’t done anything or gotten caught. There is no 100% proof way of ensure the people you employ are trustworthy.

The police force is one of those professions that will attract abusers because they hold a level of power.

It’s a sucky position to be in, something needs to change but I’m not sure what can realistically make a a difference.

A DBS only proves that you haven’t done anything yet. "

That is exactly my thinking on DBS checks however in sevral cases there were accusations that had been made and were never followed through or covered up and thats what needs dealing with.

There have been several cases where partners of serving police offices have reported domestic abuse and may have just been brushed under the carpet.

over a year ago

can you be in the police, without a little bit of psychopath?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

A DBS only proves that you haven’t done anything yet. "

That you haven't been caught doing anything.

That you haven't been prosecuted and found guilty for doing anything

And that is hasn't been recorded on the appropriate systems.

Having said that... Its better than not checking and is one indicator for vetting someones suitability.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Having said that... Its better than not checking and is one indicator for vetting someones suitability. "

Plus. Power changes people. I’m sure bad people join the police for s because they like the idea of the power and how they can abuse it

I’m sure lots of good people join and a few years of being in charge change them

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Mr

Yes, you're right, you can't compare doctors and police. A police officer can only arrest you, not administer lethal drugs and get away with it for years. Behave."

I am in no way anti-police, but I'm also not blind to the fact that cover ups aren't something we've left behind.

From the BBC, 16 July 2021:

A Merseyside Police officer has been jailed for assaulting an arrested man.

Darren McIntyre, 47, punched Mark Bamber after being called to his home in Ainsdale, Southport, on 19 June 2019.

He was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court to 19 months in jail for assault and perverting the course of justice.

Two other officers were jailed in May and another received a suspended sentence after lying to cover up the assault.

McIntyre's colleagues Laura Grant, 36, and Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd, 26, turned off their body-worn cameras while the assault took place.

The pair, and another colleague Garrie Burke, 44, were convicted of perverting the course of justice.

The court heard McIntyre, of Southport, repeatedly punched the man "in temper and in anger" after being called to a property in Cherry Road.

The arrested man was later released without charge.

'Raise concerns'

Deputy Chief Constable Ian Critchley apologised to the victim and said it was "disheartening" for other officers who "give their all day-in-day-out".

"Constable McIntyre has not only let himself down, he has also let down his colleagues and the communities we are there to protect," he said.

Other colleagues did raise concerns about the incident and the four officers were not the majority, he said.

Burke, of Maghull, and Grant, of Waterloo, were both jailed for 15 months.

Buchanan-Lloyd, of Higher Bebington, who had been a police constable for five weeks at the time, was given a nine-month sentence, suspended for 18 months, for the same offence.

All four officers are due to face internal misconduct proceedings.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Having said that... Its better than not checking and is one indicator for vetting someones suitability.

Plus. Power changes people. I’m sure bad people join the police for s because they like the idea of the power and how they can abuse it

I’m sure lots of good people join and a few years of being in charge change them "

I do partially agree with this. I respect the job that the police do, and I think the vast majority are good people trying to do a hellish job as best they can.

It's undeniable that a police officer has power over a private citizen. Without that power they wouldn't be able to do their job - we're policed by consent.

If you're someone who enjoys abusing power over others it's probable that police work will appeal because it suits your natural proclivities. One hopes these people don't make it through the screening process, but clearly some do.

How can we better screen and how can the psychological evaluations be better targeted to separate those who use power appropriately in the exercise of their duties versus those who are likely to abuse it because it gives them a kick?

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

There are crooks and very bad apples in every section of society, including the highest echelons. The fact remains that the vast majority of our police are decent hard working people doing a job most of us wouldn't touch with a barge pole but scream for when its our turn to need them. How about the media acknowledge that more often instead of encouraging near hysteria and tainting them all? All this is doing is making the job of all those dedicated officers a lot harder.

over a year ago

"There are crooks and very bad apples in every section of society, including the highest echelons. The fact remains that the vast majority of our police are decent hard working people doing a job most of us wouldn't touch with a barge pole but scream for when its our turn to need them. How about the media acknowledge that more often instead of encouraging near hysteria and tainting them all? All this is doing is making the job of all those dedicated officers a lot harder. "

Problem is the police are going a very good job of spreading mistrust themselves.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I’m sure lots of good people join and a few years of being in charge change them "

That is a good point. Suitability for the task and suitability for the role are very different.

I think the police forces of the UK need to be transparent in how they monitor performance of their officers from not only a task based level but also from a psychology perspective.

I would imagine a police officer joining the force has a different outlook on the role than an officer who has served 15+ years and seen it all.

That same officer joining today should be monitored frequently for those subtle changes of view or character that could lead to difficulties later down the line. None of the above or testing is foolproof, human flaws exist and will remain until AI takeover the role of the police.

By *ortherncouple0Couple
over a year ago

North West

Just seen the news that a nurse is at court for murder of 8 babies and attempt of 10 more. Horrific for families involved but after reading this thread then all nurses need re-vetting and public shouldnt trust them at all.

Bad in society no matter what job people are in, just the police always seem to bear the brunt as they are the ones that tell people "No" and some of the public dont like being asked then told to behave or prosecuted.

My neighbour hates police vehemently as he got a speeding ticket

I couldnt do their job and deal with idiots most days. Every time someone like Couzens commits a despicable crime as an officer, it must set public onfidence back loads

over a year ago

Mr

Yes, you're right, you can't compare doctors and police. A police officer can only arrest you, not administer lethal drugs and get away with it for years. Behave.

I am in no way anti-police, but I'm also not blind to the fact that cover ups aren't something we've left behind.

From the BBC, 16 July 2021:

A Merseyside Police officer has been jailed for assaulting an arrested man.

Darren McIntyre, 47, punched Mark Bamber after being called to his home in Ainsdale, Southport, on 19 June 2019.

He was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court to 19 months in jail for assault and perverting the course of justice.

Two other officers were jailed in May and another received a suspended sentence after lying to cover up the assault.

McIntyre's colleagues Laura Grant, 36, and Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd, 26, turned off their body-worn cameras while the assault took place.

The pair, and another colleague Garrie Burke, 44, were convicted of perverting the course of justice.

The court heard McIntyre, of Southport, repeatedly punched the man "in temper and in anger" after being called to a property in Cherry Road.

The arrested man was later released without charge.

'Raise concerns'

Deputy Chief Constable Ian Critchley apologised to the victim and said it was "disheartening" for other officers who "give their all day-in-day-out".

"Constable McIntyre has not only let himself down, he has also let down his colleagues and the communities we are there to protect," he said.

Other colleagues did raise concerns about the incident and the four officers were not the majority, he said.

Burke, of Maghull, and Grant, of Waterloo, were both jailed for 15 months.

Buchanan-Lloyd, of Higher Bebington, who had been a police constable for five weeks at the time, was given a nine-month sentence, suspended for 18 months, for the same offence.

All four officers are due to face internal misconduct proceedings.

"

So the officers in question attempted to cover up, were caught, arrested, charged and convicted. While that amply proves the point being made that there are some bad apples, I'm not sure which bit demonstrates our police forces are corrupt. On the contrary it suggests they do exactly what they are supposed to which is police without fear or favour.

Mr

over a year ago

"Also people bringing up Shipman need to realise there was a fundamental shake up of GPs and elderly care after he was caught. People didn’t say “oh well there’s always bad apples”. Actions were taken to prevent it happening again."

Are you seriously suggesting that there has been no 'shake up' of how police complaints are handled, how internal investigations are carried out or ... well the list is endless. Its funny but so often the same people moaning about the police cover ups are invariably the same ones who moan that the police stick so rigidly to the law, respect human rights, allow known perpetrators to walk free when there is insufficient evidence to prove guilt and are bound by reams and reams of red tape - all designed to ensure they do not do the things you are complaining about.

Mr

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Just watched the news of a Nurse charged with killing 8 babies…. Just waiting for the similar thread about all Nurses

over a year ago

I'm not trying to demonise the police. I know there are good people working for them but there is institutionalised bias and action on violence against women is not prioritised - this is a CPS issue too. R@pe convictions are 64% lower than they were 4 years ago. Any large organisation can develop endemic problems - the church, education, government, NHS. The police is no different.

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Also people bringing up Shipman need to realise there was a fundamental shake up of GPs and elderly care after he was caught. People didn’t say “oh well there’s always bad apples”. Actions were taken to prevent it happening again.

Are you seriously suggesting that there has been no 'shake up' of how police complaints are handled, how internal investigations are carried out or ... well the list is endless. Its funny but so often the same people moaning about the police cover ups are invariably the same ones who moan that the police stick so rigidly to the law, respect human rights, allow known perpetrators to walk free when there is insufficient evidence to prove guilt and are bound by reams and reams of red tape - all designed to ensure they do not do the things you are complaining about.

Mr"

Where have I said that? You’re talking nonsense…or projecting.

over a year ago

"Also people bringing up Shipman need to realise there was a fundamental shake up of GPs and elderly care after he was caught. People didn’t say “oh well there’s always bad apples”. Actions were taken to prevent it happening again.

Mr

Where have I said that? You’re talking nonsense…or projecting."

I answered your point about the shake up following the Shipman case by adding if you believed the police hadn't had similar shake ups.

I then made an observation which I qualified with 'so often'. Nowhere did I suggest you'd said anything.

Mr

over a year ago

"I'm not trying to demonise the police. I know there are good people working for them but there is institutionalised bias and action on violence against women is not prioritised - this is a CPS issue too. R@pe convictions are 64% lower than they were 4 years ago. Any large organisation can develop endemic problems - the church, education, government, NHS. The police is no different."

Yes, this is a fair criticism but it also one that is acknowledged and being addressed - even if this is a little late.

Mr

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Just watched the news of a Nurse charged with killing 8 babies…. Just waiting for the similar thread about all Nurses "

I thought that as soon as I heard the news.....

over a year ago

Needs the whole heads of the forces changed from outside of the police and a completely independent investogary body to investigate complaints. "

Fingers crossed that happens

By *ortherncouple0Couple
over a year ago

North West

Fingers crossed that happens "

They already have one in the IOPC

Post new Message to Thread