Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Saturday morning musing..... decorations

Jump to newest

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

So, as we all know, legally Christmas decorations may be displayed 365 days a year (you have to take them down on June 8th when it is a leap year else that's too much). I'd like to point out that this does not mean they SHOULD be though (and I am not confessing as to whether or not I might have a Christmas decoration or three in my house all the time).

But when exactly is it acceptable to wap the Halloween decs out and festoon one's property? And how long can they stay? Are we required to remove them on Nov 1st? Is there a 12 day limit?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

My 'witchey' friends are having the day in with drinks and treats and festooning the house with all sorts of spooky decor.

Love going over there after its a real treat. Lovely people always going the extra mile.

Personally we keep it to the week of the big event. But then I was brought up in a very clean no fun household.

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"My 'witchey' friends are having the day in with drinks and treats and festooning the house with all sorts of spooky decor.

Love going over there after its a real treat. Lovely people always going the extra mile.

Personally we keep it to the week of the big event. But then I was brought up in a very clean no fun household.

"

So just the week for you? And do you whip it all down the very next day? Or are there still cobwebs up from last year now (that's totally my excuse for the webs here btw)?

Your friends' place sounds fun....

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

So just the week for you? And do you whip it all down the very next day? Or are there still cobwebs up from last year now (that's totally my excuse for the webs here btw)?

Your friends' place sounds fun...."

Afraid I whip it all off at the earliest opportunity.....

I mean down...

I mean.... Sigh...

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

My house is looking more and more spartan day by day and no decorations thank fuck.

Roll on Christmas too where it will hopefully look completely different as it won't be the same house......still not having decorations either

By *r.SJMan
over a year ago

Wellingborough

For many years I was a master pumpkin carver and would do 40 pumpkins each year and each year trying to surpass the last with the most twisted, scary and/or inappropriate pumpkins and along with this, decorate two railway coaches with cobwebs, props, lighting and sound, along with the station platform and surrounding areas and buildings... it was always a full on effort but hugely fun at the same time, though often meant my own decs at home would be lacking, other than a few choice design pumpkins after the event and these would stay until they were feeding the daisies.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When we had multiple young kids ... a few days before and after... that was enough.

Now we have older kids it's a two week festival. Our 13 Yr old goes full morticia. Our 19 Yr old will wear a witches had for the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after Halloween.

It's a whole thing.

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

Your friends' place sounds fun....

Afraid I whip it all off at the earliest opportunity.....

I mean down...

I mean.... Sigh..."

one should whip it off as soon as possible.

But leave the decs up a while

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"My house is looking more and more spartan day by day and no decorations thank fuck.

Roll on Christmas too where it will hopefully look completely different as it won't be the same house......still not having decorations either "

You're a miserable bugger but I love you.

No Halloween decs next year?

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"For many years I was a master pumpkin carver and would do 40 pumpkins each year and each year trying to surpass the last with the most twisted, scary and/or inappropriate pumpkins and along with this, decorate two railway coaches with cobwebs, props, lighting and sound, along with the station platform and surrounding areas and buildings... it was always a full on effort but hugely fun at the same time, though often meant my own decs at home would be lacking, other than a few choice design pumpkins after the event and these would stay until they were feeding the daisies. "

I'd love carving pumpkins if I didn't have to pull the innards out.... that makes me

Does sound damn hard work.... and awesome!

over a year ago

It's October....so now?

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"When we had multiple young kids ... a few days before and after... that was enough.

Now we have older kids it's a two week festival. Our 13 Yr old goes full morticia. Our 19 Yr old will wear a witches had for the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after Halloween.

It's a whole thing. "

That sounds awesome!

So you're planning the decs now then....

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We don't have Halloween at home, purely because I don't like hosting here in my inner sanctum.

So we go to my mates house and the kids all trash hers, she loves it and normally keeps the decs up till the first Monday after Halloween, they start going up now

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It's October....so now?"

That's my thinking....

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Not in my house I love a real tree purely for the smell and lighting the room by fairy lights. But that’s as far as it goes.

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"We don't have Halloween at home, purely because I don't like hosting here in my inner sanctum.

So we go to my mates house and the kids all trash hers, she loves it and normally keeps the decs up till the first Monday after Halloween, they start going up now"

Complete aside.... you'll be clothed more than me for that too, right?

Now is a good time for decs to go up I think.... but what if Halloween is a Tuesday?

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Not in my house I love a real tree purely for the smell and lighting the room by fairy lights. But that’s as far as it goes. "

I feel like you should put that up now.... it'll be purty

over a year ago

"When we had multiple young kids ... a few days before and after... that was enough.

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

So you're planning the decs now then...."

This year will be different alas.

We are going to gran canaria for a week next Saturday so we won't be home to hype the kids up. and My eldest is away to Dublin for university.

Next year we will do better

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

We are going to gran canaria for a week next Saturday so we won't be home to hype the kids up. and My eldest is away to Dublin for university.

Next year we will do better "

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

"

Exactly. I'm a bit bummed because a friend had to pull out and she was going to bring us to some clubs there. But I think we will still go to one or two but the excitement won't be the same

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

Exactly. I'm a bit bummed because a friend had to pull out and she was going to bring us to some clubs there. But I think we will still go to one or two but the excitement won't be the same "

You will still have a fantastic time together though! And I reckon make a bunch of new friends!

By *r.SJMan
over a year ago

Wellingborough

"For many years I was a master pumpkin carver and would do 40 pumpkins each year and each year trying to surpass the last with the most twisted, scary and/or inappropriate pumpkins and along with this, decorate two railway coaches with cobwebs, props, lighting and sound, along with the station platform and surrounding areas and buildings... it was always a full on effort but hugely fun at the same time, though often meant my own decs at home would be lacking, other than a few choice design pumpkins after the event and these would stay until they were feeding the daisies.

I'd love carving pumpkins if I didn't have to pull the innards out.... that makes me

Does sound damn hard work.... and awesome!"

That's what being master carver meant then... I could get my minions to do it

And then use the guts for puking pumpkin, decapitated, bombed, split head, suicide and train hit pumpkins.

Any guts left over would be put in a bucket along with wrapped sweets and any trick or treaters would have to delve in to get them

over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

Exactly. I'm a bit bummed because a friend had to pull out and she was going to bring us to some clubs there. But I think we will still go to one or two but the excitement won't be the same

You will still have a fantastic time together though! And I reckon make a bunch of new friends!"

I hope so. Be nice if you dropped over.

We could help you try on some costume ideas for Halloween.

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"For many years I was a master pumpkin carver and would do 40 pumpkins each year and each year trying to surpass the last with the most twisted, scary and/or inappropriate pumpkins and along with this, decorate two railway coaches with cobwebs, props, lighting and sound, along with the station platform and surrounding areas and buildings... it was always a full on effort but hugely fun at the same time, though often meant my own decs at home would be lacking, other than a few choice design pumpkins after the event and these would stay until they were feeding the daisies.

Does sound damn hard work.... and awesome!

That's what being master carver meant then... I could get my minions to do it

And then use the guts for puking pumpkin, decapitated, bombed, split head, suicide and train hit pumpkins.

Any guts left over would be put in a bucket along with wrapped sweets and any trick or treaters would have to delve in to get them "

I don't like it

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

You will still have a fantastic time together though! And I reckon make a bunch of new friends!

We could help you try on some costume ideas for Halloween. "

According to *some people* I'm not going to be wearing much

By *r.SJMan
over a year ago

Wellingborough

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

According to *some people* I'm not going to be wearing much "

Woohoo... sounds like a treat this festive season

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

"My house is looking more and more spartan day by day and no decorations thank fuck.

Roll on Christmas too where it will hopefully look completely different as it won't be the same house......still not having decorations either

No Halloween decs next year?"

Absolutely not!

I'm sure I'll see and be subjected to enough Halloween and Christmas stuff as it is so I'll be glad of the calm tranquility of my own place and besides the only time my cat ever let slip that she could speak human, her words were 'I fucking hate decorations!'

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

Woohoo... sounds like a treat this festive season"

I think it sounds like I'm gonna be cold

over a year ago

"It's October....so now?

That's my thinking...."

I add more every day, by Halloween my house is covered!

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

No Halloween decs next year?

Absolutely not!

I'm sure I'll see and be subjected to enough Halloween and Christmas stuff as it is so I'll be glad of the calm tranquility of my own place and besides the only time my cat ever let slip that she could speak human, her words were 'I fucking hate decorations!' "

You misheard her.... she said "eat" not "hate"

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It's October....so now?

That's my thinking....

I add more every day, by Halloween my house is covered! "

When do they come down?

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

I`d say 13 days before HalLoween, 13 days before HalLoween.....Silver Shamrock.

then take em down 1st Nov, then put up Bonfire Night bits for a week.

Have a break then bung up Xmas decs 1st Dec. It`s all systems go.

over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

According to *some people* I'm not going to be wearing much "

I'm obviously old fashioned.

Naked is naked.

The whole point of getting dressed up is to get undressed again.

Peeling off parts of a costume to get to the delicious treats underneath is an exquisite way to pass time.

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I`d say 13 days before HalLoween, 13 days before HalLoween.....Silver Shamrock.

then take em down 1st Nov, then put up Bonfire Night bits for a week.

Have a break then bung up Xmas decs 1st Dec. It`s all systems go."

Bonfire night bits?! Suddenly I feel like a bit of a failure.....

By *otSoPosh OP   Woman
over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

Naked is naked.

Peeling off parts of a costume to get to the delicious treats underneath is an exquisite way to pass time. "

I'm feeling reassured about my usual choice of 30 layers then....

over a year ago

Fairy lights are an all year round thing in my house.

Not many Halloween decorations this year as my boys think they are a bit naff.

Christmas though, I'm looking forward to getting very festive from the end of November.

It won't make me enjoy it any more but the house will look pretty

over a year ago

It's a whole thing.

That sounds awesome!

Ooh but holiday! Yay!

Naked is naked.

Peeling off parts of a costume to get to the delicious treats underneath is an exquisite way to pass time.

I'm feeling reassured about my usual choice of 30 layers then...."

It's more layers than I was anticipating to be fair ... but I guess iits a cold time of year.

I would worry your *some people* might get discouraged before they find the promised land.

You might need to hide sweets under some layers to keep them involved

over a year ago

"It's October....so now?

That's my thinking....

I add more every day, by Halloween my house is covered!

When do they come down?"

Straight after Halloween, then a good clean ready for Xmas decs

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

12 days. There could be a countdown featuring a different thing from a grimoire each day I guess.

For me, it's October so decorations can go up whenever. I have to deep clean the house first and then I like talking to my friends and seeing what they're doing, drinking a pumpkin spice latte and watching Treehouse of Horror as I do it. When it's all done I light a spooky candle and read a horror short. So cool

over a year ago

"12 days. There could be a countdown featuring a different thing from a grimoire each day I guess.

For me, it's October so decorations can go up whenever. I have to deep clean the house first and then I like talking to my friends and seeing what they're doing, drinking a pumpkin spice latte and watching Treehouse of Horror as I do it. When it's all done I light a spooky candle and read a horror short. So cool "

Our house is Halloween mad, I’d imagine it will all start next weekend as the arty crafty member has a few days off work for a change

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don’t decorate for Halloween. Christmas is 1st Dec until 1st/2nd Jan here

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

October 1st, have them up the whole month. Much more fun than the C word.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"12 days. There could be a countdown featuring a different thing from a grimoire each day I guess.

For me, it's October so decorations can go up whenever. I have to deep clean the house first and then I like talking to my friends and seeing what they're doing, drinking a pumpkin spice latte and watching Treehouse of Horror as I do it. When it's all done I light a spooky candle and read a horror short. So cool

Our house is Halloween mad, I’d imagine it will all start next weekend as the arty crafty member has a few days off work for a change "

Yay to the days off and the chance to decorate! The arty crafty member might have mentioned it earlier...I'm really happy you're a Halloween mad household, it means I can bounce off your excitement and your creative geniuses! I'm going to start tomorrow.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I don’t decorate or do anything for Halloween, it just passes me by.

Christmas is my favourite time of year. The decorations go up early December and stay up until 6th January. My Christmas shopping is in full swing and I’m going to start wrapping this weekend

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t decorate or do anything for Halloween, it just passes me by.

Christmas is my favourite time of year. The decorations go up early December and stay up until 6th January. My Christmas shopping is in full swing and I’m going to start wrapping this weekend "

Only me and you now Babs to annoy everyone with our Christmas madness now Dan’s gone!

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Christmas is my favourite time of year. The decorations go up early December and stay up until 6th January. My Christmas shopping is in full swing and I’m going to start wrapping this weekend

Only me and you now Babs to annoy everyone with our Christmas madness now Dan’s gone! "

He better be back for Christmas. I think we might be outnumbered

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Only me and you now Babs to annoy everyone with our Christmas madness now Dan’s gone!

He better be back for Christmas. I think we might be outnumbered "

I’ll get on to him! I don’t think he will though

over a year ago

Our house is Halloween mad, I’d imagine it will all start next weekend as the arty crafty member has a few days off work for a change

Yay to the days off and the chance to decorate! The arty crafty member might have mentioned it earlier...I'm really happy you're a Halloween mad household, it means I can bounce off your excitement and your creative geniuses! I'm going to start tomorrow. "

You mean she’s forumed!

Wow, must be excited

I’m off to stalk her green arrow

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

He better be back for Christmas. I think we might be outnumbered

I’ll get on to him! I don’t think he will though "

He always comes back, he's the forum Terminator. If he doesn't, I love Christmas, just after witching season.

over a year ago

Christmas is my favourite time of year. The decorations go up early December and stay up until 6th January. My Christmas shopping is in full swing and I’m going to start wrapping this weekend "

BABS

Welcome back and I love your blouse

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

BABS

Welcome back and I love your blouse "

Thank you Sam it’s lovely to be back and to see you in your nakedness

over a year ago

My Halloween decorations started going up this morning

Christmas tends to work around where we'll be and when the kids are home but usually down by 2nd Jan if not before.

over a year ago

My Autumnal decorations started about a month ago. Halloween bits came out in the last few days and displayed today.

They will stay til Nov 2nd but some bits will remain all year

over a year ago

Am thinking I'll put my Halloween decorations up next weekend, few DIY ideas to do this week. Normally up beginning of oct till 1st week Nov. Xmas Dec's go up first week Dec. I do my front sitting window each year with a Xmas theme so have to get thinking

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"We don't have Halloween at home, purely because I don't like hosting here in my inner sanctum.

So we go to my mates house and the kids all trash hers, she loves it and normally keeps the decs up till the first Monday after Halloween, they start going up now

Complete aside.... you'll be clothed more than me for that too, right?

Now is a good time for decs to go up I think.... but what if Halloween is a Tuesday? "

Ha yes I will

We would have a bonfire and Halloween party so decs stay up x

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Last year I did Christmas from April to December but I don’t have a tree. My kitchen ceiling clothes airer becomes festooned with all things Christmas

Halloween I just can’t get on with, too much hard work for one evening

Post new Message to Thread