Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Fuel prices

Jump to newest

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Are the companies taking advantage of the crisis. Noticed the Sainsburys I use for fuel has risen by about 5p a litre.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

"Are the companies taking advantage of the crisis. Noticed the Sainsburys I use for fuel has risen by about 5p a litre. "

Someone on the radio mentioned that petrol was being sold for £2 a litre

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Are the companies taking advantage of the crisis. Noticed the Sainsburys I use for fuel has risen by about 5p a litre.

Someone on the radio mentioned that petrol was being sold for £2 a litre "

wow mitz that is dear x

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

What. Fine British companies taking the piss out of their loyal customers… no just wouldn’t happen….. cunts…..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Read an article before the switch to E10 saying it was marginally cheaper to produce.... no surprises then to see prices increase!

Of course they're taking advantage. They don't sell fuel for the good of society. They sell it because they really, really like money and they'll take it from you with every opportunity they get.

over a year ago

Supply and Demand unfortunately.... also known as profiteering

By *ildbillkidMan
over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

Anywhereev from $2.75 to $ 2.80 a gallon and the big box stores are saying to expect shortages of paper products

By *orkswatcherMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Not forgetting the price of crude oil is very high at the moment

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Sainsbury’s ( York ) petrol £1.23 LTr this morning

Shell Norwich £1.42 …. But there is none anyway lol

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Capitalism demands that shareholders who invest money in companies see a return on their investment. As a shareholder, I expect my investors to maximise their profits, otherwise I'll invest elsewhere and they can fold for all I care. They are simply an investment vehicle.

If demand is high, then they should make hay whilst the sun shines so to speak. This offsets the lean times and hopefully it all balances out, with a margin at the end of the day.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"Are the companies taking advantage of the crisis. Noticed the Sainsburys I use for fuel has risen by about 5p a litre.

Someone on the radio mentioned that petrol was being sold for £2 a litre "

One garage in Chelsea has bumped it up to £3, greedy bastards.

Without wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, it seems like govt isn't wanting to do much to solve the problem as it is making them so much £££ in fuel taxes. Going a step further it's not beyond possibility that the news was leaked deliberately to drive up demand so that when queues die down motorists will be oblivious to the newly hiked up prices.

Covid and furlough gotta be paid somehow....

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

Part of it is hardly a surprise after one article I read this morning of tankers being followed by cars and the liklihood of needing to pay their drivers extra for the hassle and trouble this could potentially bring.

Also extra staff in some fuel stations to deal with the massive amount of extra customers that this has all brought about will be adding extra costs too.

Potentially extra staff and running costs at refineries will need to be factored in to deal with the sharp rise in fuel production as well so not all the rises will be to do with profiteering.

Never forget that there will always be hidden costs to things that are out of the ordinary and I suspect much of this will be down to those who are panic buying when there is little need to.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

Without wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, it seems like govt isn't wanting to do much to solve the problem as it is making them so much £££ in fuel taxes. Going a step further it's not beyond possibility that the news was leaked deliberately to drive up demand so that when queues die down motorists will be oblivious to t newly hiked up prices.

Covid and furlough gotta be paid somehow...."

Covid has to be paid for and expect everything to go up in price ,U.K. 2.2 Trillion in debt and rising

over a year ago

Without wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, it seems like govt isn't wanting to do much to solve the problem as it is making them so much £££ in fuel taxes. Going a step further it's not beyond possibility that the news was leaked deliberately to drive up demand so that when queues die down motorists will be oblivious to t newly hiked up prices.

Covid and furlough gotta be paid somehow.... Covid has to be paid for and expect everything to go up in price ,U.K. 2.2 Trillion in debt and rising "

At least the trade deficit will soon fall....taxes and tariffs go on imports from the EU next year, so people will buy less.

Revenue will soon increase, as VAT on the hospitality industry is rising from 5% to 12.5% (remember one of the benefits of brexit was we could reduce VAT because we wouldn't have to give the EU their cut? No? I do!

As for fuel (fool), the govt gets most of what you pay for it. The tax is 58p/litre and the VAT (20%) is levied on the combined fuel-sale-cost AND the fuel tax (you're taxed on the tax you pay).

Local fuel (fool) prices vary from 151.5p/litre to 135.9p/litre (if you can get any).

It is getting better though, even if only because peoples' fuel tanks are full and the filling stations no longer allow jerrycans to be filled. So many drivers are only popping into a filling station to top-up with a couple of litres (fuel that they used driving from filling station-to-filling station.

And you think IQ is rising from one generation to the next?

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering ish

My car normally runs on super-unleaded but not this week! Paid £1.40/litre for normal yesterday!

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i would speculate that not many people will moan that the profits from big oil are growing their pension pots

over a year ago

****Breaking News****

Due to the fuel crisis Chris Rea has started Walking Home for Christmas

Post new Message to Thread