Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dartmoor Restrictons

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Soon you will no longer be allowed to camp where you like on Dartmoor..

What's going on here guys?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iltopbearMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Have a look at pictures of Dartmoor after the first lockdown was lifted.

The great british public left it looking like a tip.

Thats whats going on.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They're going to have to find somewhere else to sleep Tom.

It's all over the snooze.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s called protecting a place of natural beauty, an eco system.

Unfortunately some of the two legged folk on this world do not have a care for what is around them and just destroy it every chance they get.

over a year ago

"They're going to have to find somewhere else to sleep Tom.

It's all over the snooze. "

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I awoke the other day to find a camper parked in the gateway to my paddock and some feral children chasing my horse round the field. Of course if he had kicked someone it would have been my fault.

There is a sense of entitlement over nature in some people and they leave places a tip. I’m fully behind the idea. It’s a shame as I love the beauty of Dartmoor something very ethereal about it.

over a year ago

"It’s called protecting a place of natural beauty, an eco system.

Unfortunately some of the two legged folk on this world do not have a care for what is around them and just destroy it every chance they get. "

This ^

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Another case of all the responsible people losing out because a few idiots create a problem.

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

"Soon you will no longer be allowed to camp where you like on Dartmoor..

What's going on here guys?"

It was going to happen same as studland and surrounding areas. People are discusting. Went in the camper to one of the pop up campsites especially after BH w/e it was like driving into a landfill site.

Owner was desperately trying to clean it up. Went to mudiford key nr christchurch, loads of people in cars and new campers cooking on instant bbq on grass, fires, shit every where quite literally. First rule of instant bbqs you do not put them directly on the ground.

The shit state that people left places last year and this, show how low as a society we have sunk.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Is it because of the big cats that roam the moors going Rawwwwrrrrrrmiaoooooow?

Dodgy buggers.

over a year ago

"Is it because of the big cats that roam the moors going Rawwwwrrrrrrmiaoooooow?

Dodgy buggers."

Big cats ? It's all over the mews

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"Is it because of the big cats that roam the moors going Rawwwwrrrrrrmiaoooooow?

Dodgy buggers.

Big cats ? It's all over the mews "

Purrrrfect response

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I never realised Wildcamping was legal anywhere in England? We always turn up at sunset , walk 2-3 hours, leave no trace and leave at sunrise

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Sharks, Tom. It's just not safe up there.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There is much more to this than meets the eye...

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"There is much more to this than meets the eye..."

Like what ?

over a year ago

The English love an opportunity to ban something.

It's safe to swim in a reservoir in Scotland but in England it's not. And the same companies that ban swimming in those nice clean reservoirs are then given permission by the government to pump raw sewage into our rivers!

Whoever makes the 'No Overnight Parking' and 'No Trespassing' signs must have made a fortune since lockdown because they seem to be everywhere now.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"There is much more to this than meets the eye..."

No there isn’t, people just don’t care anymore, it’s a throw away society and some feel it’s quite acceptable to throw their shite outside in areas of natural beauty and expect someone else to come along and clear it up for them

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"The English love an opportunity to ban something.

It's safe to swim in a reservoir in Scotland but in England it's not. And the same companies that ban swimming in those nice clean reservoirs are then given permission by the government to pump raw sewage into our rivers!

Whoever makes the 'No Overnight Parking' and 'No Trespassing' signs must have made a fortune since lockdown because they seem to be everywhere now."

I'm sure that no-one has ever drowned in Scottish reservoirs/lochs?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Sounds like a law that will be for the few and not the many..

over a year ago

Whoever makes the 'No Overnight Parking' and 'No Trespassing' signs must have made a fortune since lockdown because they seem to be everywhere now.

I'm sure that no-one has ever drowned in Scottish reservoirs/lochs? "

oooohh....

Let's BAN it then!!

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Sounds like a law that will be for the few and not the many.."

How often do you camp on Dartmoor Tom? Will it affect you?

over a year ago

"Sounds like a law that will be for the few and not the many..

How often do you camp on Dartmoor Tom? Will it affect you? "

I was wondering the very same question to all those that have been agreeing with the ban...?

over a year ago

North West

oooohh....

Let's BAN it then!!

"

Reservoirs round here are generally private property, so the owner can do as they so wish. Lakes, e.g in the Lake District, are not necessarily privately owned and so they give advice/warnings to swimmers.

I really don't understand why it's such an issue to discourage people from jumping into extremely deep, cold water, potentially with all sorts of hazards underneath the surface. It seems perfectly reasonable to me. The same way as we give advice about how to climb Snowdon safely and discourage unsafe behaviour, such as trying to navigate by Google Maps or wearing flip flops.

If people get into difficulty, someone else has to put themselves at risk to rescue you.

None of this is relevant to the reasons why Dartmoor restrictions are changing though, which seems mainly due to the inconsiderate nature of people who leave shite everywhere.

over a year ago

I think it’s something to do with not upsetting the sheep, it’s all over the ewes.

over a year ago

North West

By the way, I'm not saying I suppose a ban on wild camping on Dartmoor. But I understand why this might be the logical reaction to the immensely inconsiderate actions of too many twats.

over a year ago

oooohh....

Let's BAN it then!!

Reservoirs round here are generally private property, so the owner can do as they so wish. Lakes, e.g in the Lake District, are not necessarily privately owned and so they give advice/warnings to swimmers.

I really don't understand why it's such an issue to discourage people from jumping into extremely deep, cold water, potentially with all sorts of hazards underneath the surface. It seems perfectly reasonable to me. The same way as we give advice about how to climb Snowdon safely and discourage unsafe behaviour, such as trying to navigate by Google Maps or wearing flip flops.

If people get into difficulty, someone else has to put themselves at risk to rescue you.

None of this is relevant to the reasons why Dartmoor restrictions are changing though, which seems mainly due to the inconsiderate nature of people who leave shite everywhere. "

Utter horse shit.

It's no more dangerous to swim in water in England than Scotland. If anything it's safer.

over a year ago

Can't say I've noticed the advice about climbing Snowdon safely though.

over a year ago

North West

oooohh....

Let's BAN it then!!

None of this is relevant to the reasons why Dartmoor restrictions are changing though, which seems mainly due to the inconsiderate nature of people who leave shite everywhere.

Utter horse shit.

It's no more dangerous to swim in water in England than Scotland. If anything it's safer.

"

The Scottish Water "Respect Our Reservoirs" web page (which I am not allowed to provide a link to) gives exactly the same advice and guidance as English ones. I don't know how many Scottish reservoirs are privately owned, but the majority round here are NOT public property to use. Private owners are at liberty to restrict access as they so desire.

over a year ago

North West

"Can't say I've noticed the advice about climbing Snowdon safely though."

This is one of many news articles about people who choose to attempt such things in inappropriate clothing, footwear etc: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/23/calls-for-visitors-to-respect-snowdon-damage-mountain

There's a mountain (sic) of online information about how to climb Snowdon (and other mountains) safely. Because some people are daft enough to set out in flip flops and crop tops.

over a year ago

"Private owners are at liberty to restrict access as they so desire. "

That's not actually correct. And much of the Scottish countryside is privately owned too!!

over a year ago

"Can't say I've noticed the advice about climbing Snowdon safely though.

This is one of many news articles about people who choose to attempt such things in inappropriate clothing, footwear etc: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/23/calls-for-visitors-to-respect-snowdon-damage-mountain

There's a mountain (sic) of online information about how to climb Snowdon (and other mountains) safely. Because some people are daft enough to set out in flip flops and crop tops. "

In fairness you could easily climb Snowdon in flip flops for much of the year.

over a year ago

North West

"Private owners are at liberty to restrict access as they so desire.

That's not actually correct. And much of the Scottish countryside is privately owned too!!

"

A private reservoir owner can put up a sign saying "no swimming". Yes, they can. I don't believe right to roam extents to reservoirs, which are specifically man-made constructs for the purpose of storing drinking water. Lakes and rivers come under right to roam, hence there's no attemped ban on swimming in open bodies like Windermere etc, but there is on reservoirs.

over a year ago

"They're going to have to find somewhere else to sleep Tom.

It's all over the snooze. "

Hehe

over a year ago

"Pretty much all of Scotland's 800 reservoirs have had free open access for swimming since 2003, when the Land Reform Act provided public access rights to most inland water. To Scottish people the idea of swimming in reservoirs is completely normal."

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Private owners are at liberty to restrict access as they so desire.

A private reservoir owner can put up a sign saying "no swimming". Yes, they can. I don't believe right to roam extents to reservoirs, which are specifically man-made constructs for the purpose of storing drinking water. Lakes and rivers come under right to roam, hence there's no attemped ban on swimming in open bodies like Windermere etc, but there is on reservoirs. "

Technically, there is no such thing as right to roam on any privately owned property.

The only right people have to acces is on public rights of way eg footpaths and bridlepaths .

I received a very informative boocklet on it all from my local councils highways department when I was informed of my obligation to clear a fallen tree on a bridle path.

over a year ago

North West

""Pretty much all of Scotland's 800 reservoirs have had free open access for swimming since 2003, when the Land Reform Act provided public access rights to most inland water. To Scottish people the idea of swimming in reservoirs is completely normal."

"

That's lovely for the Scots. I'm perfectly happy to discourage it, with the number of drownings we've had in a relatively small geographic area. There's plenty of safer places to go swimming.

over a year ago

""Pretty much all of Scotland's 800 reservoirs have had free open access for swimming since 2003, when the Land Reform Act provided public access rights to most inland water. To Scottish people the idea of swimming in reservoirs is completely normal."

That's lovely for the Scots. I'm perfectly happy to discourage it, with the number of drownings we've had in a relatively small geographic area. There's plenty of safer places to go swimming. "

Really? Name them.

I suspect the closest to wild camping many of those arguing about this have been is some photos in the Daily Mail.

Countryside access in this country thrives only where people volunteer to help with access, emergency services etc. etc.

You don't achieve that by banning people from using it.

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

I'm sure that no-one has ever drowned in Scottish reservoirs/lochs? "

Or even eaten in loch ness

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Or even eaten in loch ness"

Sharks, I'm telling you!!

over a year ago

North West

That's lovely for the Scots. I'm perfectly happy to discourage it, with the number of drownings we've had in a relatively small geographic area. There's plenty of safer places to go swimming.

Really? Name them.

I suspect the closest to wild camping many of those arguing about this have been is some photos in the Daily Mail.

Countryside access in this country thrives only where people volunteer to help with access, emergency services etc. etc.

You don't achieve that by banning people from using it."

I've already said I have zero issues with wild camping on Dartmoor but that I can understand why this reaction has happened. See earlier standalone post. I cannot agree on the issue of swimming in reservoirs, no. I have never swum in a reservoir and nor will I ever. I have swum in lakes such as Coniston Water.

My personal circumstances are that I sadly can no longer partake in activities like hiking, camping in remote locations, mountaineering or anything similar. I used to do this things prior to the injury that caused my disability, however. When I did go hiking, I wore appropriate clothing and footwear, to reduce my chances of causing others the inconvenience of coming to retrieve me, a courtesy too many seem not to bother with.

My outdoor pursuits nowadays are limited to those places I can either go on (borrowed). horseback or that I can force a day-wheelchair to go. Sadly, I don't think Snowdon is on the list anymore. Reservoirs were never on the list.

over a year ago

North West

And I'd be fuck all use as a volunteer mountain rescuer or lifeguard too!

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Land sharks

over a year ago

They would have to catch you first, but good, Dartmoor isnt a campsite

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

There has been similar issues in the lakes, people camping where they like and leaving the area in a shit state.

By *wingerlover2018Man
over a year ago

Moors

Those that are against the idea of bylaw changes can go have their say on the consultation website

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Is the land for everyone or just the few ?

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I awoke the other day to find a camper parked in the gateway to my paddock and some feral children chasing my horse round the field. Of course if he had kicked someone it would have been my fault.

There is a sense of entitlement over nature in some people and they leave places a tip. I’m fully behind the idea. It’s a shame as I love the beauty of Dartmoor something very ethereal about it. "

I feel for you. Some of those unsuitable parent take their minions to the shops and let them run up and down the aisles as if it was School Sports day. It's not my job to babysit random brats.

If your horse did kick them, it might knock some sense into them. Then I'd treat your horse to a very large bag of carrots .

over a year ago

Leave it for the Hound of the Baskervilles to sort them out, or failing that the wandering Royal Marines

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Really? Name them.

I've already said I have zero issues with wild camping on Dartmoor but that I can understand why this reaction has happened. See earlier standalone post. I cannot agree on the issue of swimming in reservoirs, no. I have never swum in a reservoir and nor will I ever. I have swum in lakes such as Coniston Water.

My personal circumstances are that I sadly can no longer partake in activities like hiking, camping in remote locations, mountaineering or anything similar. I used to do this things prior to the injury that caused my disability, however. When I did go hiking, I wore appropriate clothing and footwear, to reduce my chances of causing others the inconvenience of coming to retrieve me, a courtesy too many seem not to bother with.

My outdoor pursuits nowadays are limited to those places I can either go on (borrowed). horseback or that I can force a day-wheelchair to go. Sadly, I don't think Snowdon is on the list anymore. Reservoirs were never on the list. "

In Cormpton, Derbyshire you can hire an off road wheel chair and go off road. The company is called TRAMPER, just put Tramper all-terrain mobility scooter into Bing, to see where you can go.

Crompton also has the best disabled toilet you've ever seen. Toilet, shower, electrically raised hair dressers' sink, and enough room to swing two wheel chairs in. As well as a bariatric hospital grade examination bed.

It's less of a loo and more of an examination room.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Let people roam...

over a year ago

North West

Really? Name them.

My outdoor pursuits nowadays are limited to those places I can either go on (borrowed). horseback or that I can force a day-wheelchair to go. Sadly, I don't think Snowdon is on the list anymore. Reservoirs were never on the list.

In Cormpton, Derbyshire you can hire an off road wheel chair and go off road. The company is called TRAMPER, just put Tramper all-terrain mobility scooter into Bing, to see where you can go.

Crompton also has the best disabled toilet you've ever seen. Toilet, shower, electrically raised hair dressers' sink, and enough room to swing two wheel chairs in. As well as a bariatric hospital grade examination bed.

It's less of a loo and more of an examination room."

I've used an absolutely amazing off-road mobility thingy in Mallorca actually - was like a moon buggy! We went up into the mountains.

I'll be clear that I don't need the bariatric bit though

Thanks for the head's up about Derbyshire!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Really? Name them.

I've used an absolutely amazing off-road mobility thingy in Mallorca actually - was like a moon buggy! We went up into the mountains.

Thanks for the head's up about Derbyshire! "

The thread is about Dartmoor

over a year ago

North West

Really? Name them.

The thread is about Derbyshire"

Yes, I know. Thanks.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Really? Name them.

The thread is about Derbyshire

Yes, I know. Thanks. "

Let's stick to Dartmoor then..

over a year ago

North West

Really? Name them.

The thread is about Derbyshire

Yes, I know. Thanks.

Let's stick to Derbyshire then.. "

Good plan.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I hope people should have a right to roam as in Scotland and camp where they like...

By *olden_Road_to_SamarkandMan
over a year ago

london

True wild campers will be unaffected. They pitch camp at dusk and are gone with the dawn leaving no trace......

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Really? Name them.

Thanks for the head's up about Derbyshire! "

The bariatric bed is perfect for two!

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Dartmoor//Derbyshire.: it's the on the same...Tees Exe line. Why not visit and enjoy both?

Post new Message to Thread