Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The "Inerd" thread....

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay... apple just about to start the presser releasing the new Iphone 5...

Will put up details here... I know I am a sheep before anyone asks.....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Baaaaaaa

over a year ago

why do we need we need phones with all the bells and whistles I may be old fashioned but as long as I can make a phone call and text then I am happy x yes its good to be mobile on the net etc but a phone is a phone x

over a year ago

Where are you watching this anyway? Is it live somewhere?

over a year ago

"why do we need we need phones with all the bells and whistles I may be old fashioned but as long as I can make a phone call and text then I am happy x yes its good to be mobile on the net etc but a phone is a phone x"
completely disagree.... Since getting my Galaxy S2 and iPad combination, I can't remember the last time I turned my pc on or took a digital camera out

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I am not and never will be an Apple fan. My daughter is though so this will prob be on her Xmas list.

over a year ago

Can't wait!

over a year ago

Could not imagine not having an iPhone it's dragged me out the shit a few times at work

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

is there a date yet....

I am due an upgrade on 18th September

ta

over a year ago

"Can't wait!

"

Forgot your a nerd!

over a year ago

"why do we need we need phones with all the bells and whistles I may be old fashioned but as long as I can make a phone call and text then I am happy x yes its good to be mobile on the net etc but a phone is a phone x completely disagree.... Since getting my Galaxy S2 and iPad combination, I can't remember the last time I turned my pc on or took a digital camera out"

over a year ago

"why do we need we need phones with all the bells and whistles I may be old fashioned but as long as I can make a phone call and text then I am happy x yes its good to be mobile on the net etc but a phone is a phone x completely disagree.... Since getting my Galaxy S2 and iPad combination, I can't remember the last time I turned my pc on or took a digital camera out"

I dont do contracts personal preference and the I phones are totally out of my price range.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Could not imagine not having an iPhone it's dragged me out the shit a few times at work"

Clumsy plumber are you

over a year ago

"Can't wait!

Forgot your a nerd! "

Oh yes baby

over a year ago

I used to have an iPhone on a previous contract and I loved it, but when I got my iPad I thought I would not need both so I sold it when I changed networks and got a much less capable Nokia.

Biggest mistake I have ever made in my life..I can't wait till I can upgrade and have an iPhone again.

over a year ago

By all pre launch leaks its substandard to the Galaxy S3 and twice the price. And none of your docks will fit anymore.

Enjoy queing up for hours for it anyway. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

over a year ago

"is there a date yet....

ta "

Was supposed to be today!

A few manufacturing problems but still think it will be within the next couple of days

over a year ago

"why do we need we need phones with all the bells and whistles I may be old fashioned but as long as I can make a phone call and text then I am happy x yes its good to be mobile on the net etc but a phone is a phone x"

Phones now are more like mini mobile computers, I use my android for far more than calls and texts.

I _iew Fab, Facebook, mp3 player, camera use the maps when I'm not sure of my way, banking, I can transfer money instantly, so if my kids mum asks for any I can do that even whilst at work.

over a year ago

"is there a date yet....

ta

A few manufacturing problems but still think it will be within the next couple of days "

I thought the announcement was today, not the release. ?

over a year ago

"is there a date yet....

ta

A few manufacturing problems but still think it will be within the next couple of days

I thought the announcement was today, not the release. ?"

They normally come out Oct but the plan was to release earlier but who knows

Just wish they'd hurry up!

Mind you I don't really need one, as I have the 4s. Lol

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"is there a date yet....

ta

Mind you I don't really need one, as I have the 4s. Lol"

thank you

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

right... what we know so far...

4G confirmed on Tmobile/Orange

4 inch screen, working in 16:9 (widescreen)

new A6 chip, 2x faster than 4s

20% thinner, 20% lighter

over a year ago

I've got the galaxy s 3 but never had an iphone to compare it with

over a year ago

"By all pre launch leaks its substandard to the Galaxy S3 and twice the price. And none of your docks will fit anymore.

Enjoy queing up for hours for it anyway. I'm sure it'll be worth it. "

over a year ago

"I've got the galaxy s 3 but never had an iphone to compare it with"
I use a Galaxy S2... S3 is on my shopping list. My playmate has an iPhone. There's no comparison, Samsung wins hands down

over a year ago

You can have a play on mine .....

over a year ago

"is there a date yet....

ta

thank you"

I heard September 26th

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

So far then...

4G that won't have a massive coverage yet on just two networks

A screen that's smaller than most high end Android phones

A processor that's twice as fast as the current one until you put a load of Apps on that aren't optimised for the new processor

And it's not as sturdy as the current one

over a year ago

"Could not imagine not having an iPhone it's dragged me out the shit a few times at work

Clumsy plumber are you "

I am a plumber

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Could not imagine not having an iPhone it's dragged me out the shit a few times at work

Clumsy plumber are you

I am a plumber "

Yes I know you are

A clumsy one if you keep falling in shit

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

A lot of people slag them but I think there great. I only pay £10 a month for unlimited data

over a year ago

I wanted an iphone but couldn't justify the cost when compared with an Android device.

I got an S2 and am very glad I didn't opt for the iphone.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"is there a date yet....

ta

thank you

I heard September 26th"

Me too

over a year ago

We have an HTC phone for swinging and it does not compare in anyway to the iPhone!

It drives me mad!

We are both on contracts, and the cost is minimal to have one, so well worth it

We are Apple junkies in this housse, but don't care

over a year ago

That reminds me, I must get a swinging phone.

over a year ago

"I've got the galaxy s 3 but never had an iphone to compare it with

You can have a play on mine ..... "

What's so good about yours?

over a year ago

There is a nice article on BBC about Aplles latest version of the Emperors new clothes...... cut and pasted below.

Somewhere up there, I can hear Steve screaming.

Back in 2006 I launched a blog where I pretended to be Apple CEO Steve Jobs. My alter ego, "Fake Steve," had a good run, but I shut it down in January 2011 when it became apparent that Jobs was in poor health. Nevertheless, even now, I'm constantly wondering what Steve would think about whatever Apple is doing.

This week it's the iPhone 5. Everyone pretty much accepts that Apple will introduce it, and there have been so many leaks that everybody pretty much seems to know what it's going to be. Word is it will look a lot like the last two versions of the iPhone, except a bit thinner and a bit taller, with upgraded guts and a refreshed operating system.

Samsung's Galaxy S3 is outselling the iPhone 4S in some countries If that's correct, I imagine Steve is not happy. First of all, he'd be furious about the leaks. Steve liked surprising people.

More important, is this really the best we can expect from an outfit that claims to be the most innovative company in the world? This is the sixth version of the iPhone, and the user interface still looks almost exactly like the original iPhone in 2007.

The hardware on the iPhone has been the same for two years, since the iPhone 4 and 4S were virtually identical.

Now, having had two years to plot and scheme, Apple's renowned designer Jonathan Ive has replaced the tiny 3.5in (8.9cm) screen with a slightly-less-tiny 4in (10.2cm) screen? Wow. Knock me over with a feather. What do you do with the rest of your time, Jony?

This is what happens when a company is too cheap to invest in research and development. Did you know that Apple spends far less on R&D than any of its rivals - a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?

No wonder the Android platform, where new models appear every week, now represents 68% of the smartphone market, up from 47% a year ago, while Apple slid to 17% over the same period.

In case you're bad at maths, let me work that out for you: Android's market share is now four times that of Apple. Four times!

Worse, despite all its bluster about innovation, Apple has become a copycat, and not even a good one. Why is Apple making the iPhone bigger? To keep up with the top Android phones.

Apple's stock has hit new heights under chief executive Tim Cook (Phones that, mind you, Apple fanboys ridiculed at first.)

The problem is that the new iPhone won't really give you much more screen real estate than the old one. Worse, it looks ridiculous.

Apple also has become a copycat in tablets. Jobs once said the iPad's 9.7in screen was the perfect size, and smaller tablets made no sense. Then the Android camp had success with 7in tablets like Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus 7, and now Apple supposedly will announce its own smaller iPad in October. Talk about thinking different!

What else is there to complain about?

Um, Siri still doesn't work. The oft-rumoured Apple TV doesn't exist yet, presumably because media companies won't let Apple take over their business.

The latest batch of Apple ads were such embarrassing garbage that Apple had to take them down from YouTube. Apple's new guy in charge of retail launched a plan to lay off workers and boost profits, then had to walk it back when people pointed out that this was stupid.

The big $1bn (£650m) patent "victory" over Samsung made Apple look like a bully, and also raised awareness of how good Samsung's latest products are.

Last month, Samsung's Galaxy S3, with its huge 4.8in screen, outsold the iPhone 4S in the United States, the first time any smartphone has outsold the iPhone in the States.

Apple got where it was by taking bold risks. Now it has become a company that copies others and plays it safe.

A company that once was run by a product visionary now is run by a number-cruncher - chief executive Tim Cook, whose claim to fame involves running an efficient supply chain and beating ever lower prices out of Asian subcontractors and component suppliers.

To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

Steve Jobs co-founded Apple in 1976. He stepped down as chief executive in August, 2011. Apple seems less interested in blowing people away than it is in milking profit out of the existing lineup. At this Cook is doing marvellously well.

Sales are booming and will top $150bn this year, with net profit margins of nearly 30%. That's incredible in any business, but qualifies as a miracle when you're selling consumer electronics hardware.

Apple has more than $100bn in cash. Its market value of $632bn makes it the biggest company in the world, bigger than any company in US history.

That's great for Apple's shareholders. But for customers, who cares? In terms of products, Apple has become the one thing it should never be. Apple has become boring.

Somewhere up there, I can hear Steve screaming.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

ios6 released sept 19th

iphone released sept 21st

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"ios6 released sept 19th

iphone released sept 21st"

That's my iPad buggered next week then

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"We have an HTC phone for swinging and it does not compare in anyway to the iPhone!

It drives me mad!

"

Depends what HTC you've got really...I'd put my Desire HD up against an iPhone, whereas Mrs JFL's Wildfire is a bag of shite

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

oh by the way... new ipod nano and new ipod touch being released as well...

will hold off because not sure if to get my niece either an ipod touch or the rumoured new ipad mini.....

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"ios6 released sept 19th

iphone released sept 21st

That's my iPad buggered next week then "

How come?

over a year ago

I had an iPhone and switched to a Galaxy S2. There's no way I'd ever go back.

over a year ago

"We have an HTC phone for swinging and it does not compare in anyway to the iPhone!

It drives me mad!

Depends what HTC you've got really...I'd put my Desire HD up against an iPhone, whereas Mrs JFL's Wildfire is a bag of shite "

Yep is a desire hd and still think it is a bag of shite compared to my iPhone

over a year ago

"That reminds me, I must get a swinging phone."

Very handy and less hassle

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

It drives me mad!

Depends what HTC you've got really...I'd put my Desire HD up against an iPhone, whereas Mrs JFL's Wildfire is a bag of shite

Yep is a desire hd and still think it is a bag of shite compared to my iPhone "

You're wrong but it's your prerogative

over a year ago

It drives me mad!

You're wrong but it's your prerogative "

No you're wrong

Haha.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

It drives me mad!

You're wrong but it's your prerogative

No you're wrong

Haha."

No...

over a year ago

It drives me mad!

Depends what HTC you've got really...I'd put my Desire HD up against an iPhone, whereas Mrs JFL's Wildfire is a bag of shite "

I've a HTC Sensation and also prefer it to iphone.

Apple has very clever marketing techniques I assume, amount of times an iphone owner is surprised my phone does that (whatever that may be at the time) and it's not an iphone, but then they find the camera is much better on mine amongst other things.

If you love iphone, then cool but really there are better devices out there.

over a year ago

Mr Slut here now.

It's worth remembering the state of smartphones before the iPhone was released in 2007. They had keyboards, an ugly stylus and were going nowhere. I carried a phone and a PDA prior to the iPhone, because smartphones were awful.

Apple was the first company to bring a decent touchscreen to the masses. Others have followed. Samsung and HTC have both done decent jobs. For me, however, they don't have sufficient hardware/software integration to produce a polished product. Yes, you can get most of the same apps and experience, but my iPhone just works. J & I are not Apple fanboys/girls, but we like the iPhone because it does the job without getting in the way.

Some people think that Apple are a marketing company - this is simply rubbish. They care about every aspect of the product, and have never been afraid to go against the flow. Removal of the floppy drive from their computers? Then the DVD drive? Then the Ethernet port? Everyone laughed, but is now going the same way.

Steve Ballmer laughed at the iPhone. I bet he's not laughing now.

Who knows if Apple will continue their dominance without Steve Jobs, but they have made great strides in personal computing over the past few years, and anyone who denies that is misinformed.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"Mr Slut here now.

It's worth remembering the state of smartphones before the iPhone was released in 2007. They had keyboards, an ugly stylus and were going nowhere. I carried a phone and a PDA prior to the iPhone, because smartphones were awful.

Apple was the first company to bring a decent touchscreen to the masses. Others have followed. Samsung and HTC have both done decent jobs. For me, however, they don't have sufficient hardware/software integration to produce a polished product. Yes, you can get most of the same apps and experience, but my iPhone just works. J & I are not Apple fanboys/girls, but we like the iPhone because it does the job without getting in the way.

Some people think that Apple are a marketing company - this is simply rubbish. They care about every aspect of the product, and have never been afraid to go against the flow. Removal of the floppy drive from their computers? Then the DVD drive? Then the Ethernet port? Everyone laughed, but is now going the same way.

Steve Ballmer laughed at the iPhone. I bet he's not laughing now.

Who knows if Apple will continue their dominance without Steve Jobs, but they have made great strides in personal computing over the past few years, and anyone who denies that is misinformed.

"

Machines with no DVD drives and ethernet ports are the bane of my life !!

Not disputing they did it first but times move on and Apple continue to sell new iterations of the iPhone with little or no innovation anymore...just my humble opinion.

And I'm neither an Apple or Android fanboy...love my iPad but see no good reason to move from my 1st Gen until it dies. If I want HiDef, I won't be watching it on a 10 inch screen (and would it kill them to put a card reader in it, or at least a USB port !)

By *eedafuck1210Man
over a year ago

Helston

Re_iew I saw today was something like "same operating system, same user interface, Siri still doesn't work so what have they spent 2 years design budget on? Oh yes, the screen's bigger"

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"Re_iew I saw today was something like "same operating system, same user interface, Siri still doesn't work so what have they spent 2 years design budget on? Oh yes, the screen's bigger""

To be fair, that wasn't a re_iew, that was a BBC journo who used to have a fake Steve Jobs blog going

Post new Message to Thread