Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Microsoft Scam

Jump to newest

By *icecouple561 OP   Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

someone scammed my parents out of £173.36 by scaring them into allowing him to remotely install Teamviewer on their computer and telling them he would keep it free of the 8,00 viruses they had. Luckily mum phoned me before he'd finished and I told her to pull the plug but they're 77 and 85 and have been very upset by this.

We've wiped the lot and re-installed everything but what really amazed me is that a policeman has told me that this is legitimate and not illegal.

Surely not

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Guess its not on your local polices target list.

Might be worth a quick chat to your local tranding standards their sometimes slightly more interested in such things than the police.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How did they pay the money? Investigate whether they can persue a chargeback perhaps?

These scams annoy me.

Trading Standards probably can't help as the company are almost certainly outside of the UK.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

yes someone else said that I might give it a go but we traced the Teamviewer id to India so they might not be able to do anything.

I'm more angry about the upset its caused my parents than anything

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Dont suppose they paid by credit card did they? As if so, they may (I'm not too sure) be able to claim back a bit on insurance.

Try Citizens Advice too. Unfortunately, this scam has been going round for a while and they tend to try and target vulnerable people.

Good luck x

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"How did they pay the money? Investigate whether they can persue a chargeback perhaps?

These scams annoy me.

Trading Standards probably can't help as the company are almost certainly outside of the UK."

They contacted their bank straightaway, but as they paid by debit card it looks unlikely that they'll get the money back.

The guy actually rang back while I was there and asked why they'd shut their computer down.....I spoke to him....he got very angry and shouted at me when I told him exactly what I thought of him

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Dont suppose they paid by credit card did they? As if so, they may (I'm not too sure) be able to claim back a bit on insurance.

Try Citizens Advice too. Unfortunately, this scam has been going round for a while and they tend to try and target vulnerable people.

Good luck x"

Thank you, no it was debit card.

Its not the money so much as the fact that they feel humiliated, ashamed, stupid and scared. I've told them time and again that they are the victims and he's the criminal

over a year ago

You can still do a chargeback with a debit card sometimes. Talk to the bank.

over a year ago

Ah, sorry, missed that you already had.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

They're going to have to talk to the bank anyway as he has their card details. What a mean scam.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I made them ring the bank straight away, they cancelled their cards immediately and suspended their on-line banking.

We also wiped their computer and re-installed the lot as he had changed their id and passwords.

Post new Message to Thread