Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

can anyone recommended an ISP

Jump to newest

By *exywheels OP   Couple
over a year ago

inverness

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good ISP we are currently with virgin and have been for 10years but recently it has been very slow getting 400Kb at 5am at best. Have spoken to them only to be told we know of a fault in your area but don't know what is wrong or when it will be fixed. We are getting very fed up with it so are thinking of changing. Can anyone one please recommended a good reliable ISP. BT are wanting twice what we are paying just now for unlimited downloads and all day calls

Thanks for your help

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Sky is pretty cheap but your speed will be limited to the quality of the lines in your area

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"Hi

Can anyone recommend a good ISP we are currently with virgin and have been for 10years but recently it has been very slow getting 400Kb at 5am at best. Have spoken to them only to be told we know of a fault in your area but don't know what is wrong or when it will be fixed. We are getting very fed up with it so are thinking of changing. Can anyone one please recommended a good reliable ISP. BT are wanting twice what we are paying just now for unlimited downloads and all day calls

Thanks for your help"

Try Plusnet. A mate of mine used to work for another ISP and he swears by them - good enough for me!!

By *winging In The RainMan
over a year ago

St Helens / Liverpool

I can tell you one thing, steer clear of TalkTalk, they're absolutely useless, both in terms of service and customer support. I had a problem with my connection that never got sorted for several months.

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"I can tell you one thing, steer clear of TalkTalk, they're absolutely useless, both in terms of service and customer support. I had a problem with my connection that never got sorted for several months."

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hi

Thanks for your help

Try Plusnet. A mate of mine used to work for another ISP and he swears by them - good enough for me!! "

same here and I share a connection with my father...not had many probs..and its a fairly cheap deal on most of the packages(inc phone)

the problem is that newbie internetters forget that unlimited broadband etc can come with shit speeds etc...u really have to pay thru the nose to have unlimited and speeds that u would consider to be good for downloading music/film

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Hi

Thanks for your help"

not sure if your areas been done yet but virgin are doubling everyones speed i am now on 60meg and runs between 45 and 57 never any problems but it is quite bad with consoles

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"Hi

Thanks for your help

Try Plusnet. A mate of mine used to work for another ISP and he swears by them - good enough for me!!

same here and I share a connection with my father...not had many probs..and its a fairly cheap deal on most of the packages(inc phone)

the problem is that newbie internetters forget that unlimited broadband etc can come with shit speeds etc...u really have to pay thru the nose to have unlimited and speeds that u would consider to be good for downloading music/film"

Plusnet are currently trialling an 80meg service in some areas - depending on feedback they'll be rolling it out nationwide soon! And it's not extortionate and with good D/L limits.

over a year ago

"Hi

Thanks for your helpnot sure if your areas been done yet but virgin are doubling everyones speed i am now on 60meg and runs between 45 and 57 never any problems but it is quite bad with consoles "

I'm thinking of swapping sky to virgin purely because of speed however your console statement has stopped me in my tracks. Why do you think it's bad with consoles? I would have thought faster speeds mean... Um... Faster speeds

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

BE. Been with them for years. Speeds always good unlimited downloads.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"Hi

Thanks for your helpnot sure if your areas been done yet but virgin are doubling everyones speed i am now on 60meg and runs between 45 and 57 never any problems but it is quite bad with consoles "

I used to work for Virgin cable broadband. You should get always 60 meg not 45 or 57. I would complain.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Hi

Thanks for your helpnot sure if your areas been done yet but virgin are doubling everyones speed i am now on 60meg and runs between 45 and 57 never any problems but it is quite bad with consoles

I'm thinking of swapping sky to virgin purely because of speed however your console statement has stopped me in my tracks. Why do you think it's bad with consoles? I would have thought faster speeds mean... Um... Faster speeds "

its somthing to do with the way the datas sent my freind is into that kinda thing and says virgin mostly use interleaving which is holding and sending lrg pckts so you could suffer the dreaded lag in games it was one of the reasons i increased my speed and does seem to have fixed but your in fair usage blocks of 6 hours if exceeded next 6 hr block is at half your speed. should be fine if only running one but in this house thre can be 2 consoles my comp and a lappy going lol

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"

Try Plusnet. A mate of mine used to work for another ISP and he swears by them - good enough for me!! "

Very good firm..not the cheapest but a good service and British call centres with people who you can understand.

One NOT to bother with TalkTalk...cheap and rubbish..and got themselves into a bit of hot water by having a policy where their staff would claim the company owned plusnet..

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I can tell you one thing, steer clear of TalkTalk, they're absolutely useless, both in terms of service and customer support. I had a problem with my connection that never got sorted for several months."

What he said......

over a year ago

"Hi

Thanks for your help"

Get Virgin to upgrade you to 20mbs and they'll send you one of their SuperRouters. These things select the best channel available each time you start your pc and we're currently enjoying regular 20mbs speeds.

over a year ago

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area.asp. Try this it might give you some idea

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Orange great service and speed

By *heCrowAndButterflyCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Be or O2 broadband as O2 own them now only downside is their DNS is naff! If you go with them use openDNS servers instead

Post new Message to Thread