Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sunday day of REST ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

You glad shops and things open or think should be day of rest ? My dad think it wrong i say people who work full time its handy for them.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

i think all the shops should be shut sunday

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

my hairdressers opens on a sunday which i love and the shops are more handy when i work mon to friday.

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

"You glad shops and things open or think should be day of rest ? My dad think it wrong i say people who work full time its handy for them. "

There are so many jobs that don't have 'regular' monday - friday hours. (know mine doesn't)

So for me it's good that alot of shops open late evenings and Sundays as sometimes that the only time I can go.

over a year ago

It was fine when many years ago we we're predominantly christian and people actually went to church on a Sunday. But now it's just another work day for many so should be treated as such.

over a year ago

why ? dont see anything wrong about it , folk make a choice ,most say they are christian when was the last time they were at church or chapel etc etc ?

By *abloBackMan
over a year ago

London

If everyone worked Monday/Friday

When would they be able to shop?

over a year ago

"why ? dont see anything wrong about it , folk make a choice ,most say they are christian when was the last time they were at church or chapel etc etc ? "

My view exactly. People are happy to say they're christian when it gets them a day off work. Christmas is the best example. I'm atheist and detest the festival of excess and rant about it every year. So people say "well you'll be happy to work then won't you!" To which I reply "yes I'd be happy to work 8 hours at double time just as long you bring in a letter from your vicar saying you were at morning worship and evensong"

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"If everyone worked Monday/Friday

When would they be able to shop?"

Saturday

over a year ago

"why ? dont see anything wrong about it , folk make a choice ,most say they are christian when was the last time they were at church or chapel etc etc ?

My view exactly. People are happy to say they're christian when it gets them a day off work. Christmas is the best example. I'm atheist and detest the festival of excess and rant about it every year. So people say "well you'll be happy to work then won't you!" To which I reply "yes I'd be happy to work 8 hours at double time just as long you bring in a letter from your vicar saying you were at morning worship and evensong"

"

i bet you're on everyones xmas invite list.... lol

over a year ago

Saturday"

How would that work then if EVERYONE worked monday to friday.... shops would be closed sat & sun

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Im glad that shops are open on sundays and some supermarkets are open 24 hrs,theres still time for people that want to go to church to go if they want to

Long gone are the days when people only worked mon-fri and sunday was a day of rest

I work a chaotic shift pattern and im sometimes in supermarkets at ridiculous hrs of the day because its the only time I can go

So for me flexible opening hrs are great,it must be profitable for companies too because if it was'nt they would'nt have the opening hours that they do

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

Saturday"

evening ?

over a year ago

I work every Sunday

By *ustyBrunette35Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

"So people say "well you'll be happy to work then won't you!" To which I reply "yes I'd be happy to work 8 hours at double time just as long you bring in a letter from your vicar saying you were at morning worship and evensong""

Why would you expect double time for working over a festival that you detest ? I'd have thought you'd jump at the chance to work even at normal pay just to get out of the way of us d*unkards that like a Xmas knees up

By *uggers nemesisCouple
over a year ago

london

Saturday

How would that work then if EVERYONE worked monday to friday.... shops would be closed sat & sun"

By *heplayerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Me an my better half love naked Sunday's ! So in a way it s a day of rest

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

We both work 7 days at the moment and still find time to do the food shopping. If someone cant manage out the house then they can do it online, Asda, Tesco and other big supermarkets do home delivery. Its like people in this country must spend 24/7. There are lots of shops open 24hrs.

over a year ago

i think if shops want to be open on sunday fair enough.

lifes have moved on and so have peoples needs.

church isnt as important anymore and i dont think it matters what the church thinks.

things are very different and people work alsorts of hours and days.

id like to see asda open all sunday until monday.

be handy.

over a year ago

What about the thousands of people who work in those shops, it's ok for everyone else to have a good life/work balance but if you work at one of them then tough, people shouldn't be so self centred.

over a year ago

Nope Sunday is a day of rest.

Nowt to do with religion for me as I am irreligious / Agnostic and if you bring religion as a reason for closure then we close everywhere on Fridays for Islamic reasons, Saturdays for Jewish reasons and Sundays for Christian reasons. Nice idea but impractical I would say.

We managed quite well enough before the Sunday opening laws were relaxed and with 24 hour supermarkets there are enough opening hours already. Saturdays used to be a great day in any town High Street. Now its 'just another day' and Sundays are the same now.

Save the electricity, wages and hassle and lets go back to resting on the 7th day ..

IMHO

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Nope Sunday is a day of rest.

Nowt to do with religion for me as I am irreligious / Agnostic and if you bring religion as a reason for closure then we close everywhere on Fridays for Islamic reasons, Saturdays for Jewish reasons and Sundays for Christian reasons. Nice idea but impractical I would say.

We managed quite well enough before the Sunday opening laws were relaxed and with 24 hour supermarkets there are enough opening hours already. Saturdays used to be a great day in any town High Street. Now its 'just another day' and Sundays are the same now.

Save the electricity, wages and hassle and lets go back to resting on the 7th day ..

IMHO "

well said and give the family a chance to get together

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Nope Sunday is a day of rest.

IMHO well said and give the family a chance to get together "

over a year ago

"So people say "well you'll be happy to work then won't you!" To which I reply "yes I'd be happy to work 8 hours at double time just as long you bring in a letter from your vicar saying you were at morning worship and evensong"

Why would you expect double time for working over a festival that you detest ? I'd have thought you'd jump at the chance to work even at normal pay just to get out of the way of us d*unkards that like a Xmas knees up "

It's a public holiday like any other bank holiday so I'd expect more pay if I was coming in to pick up everyone else's slack. I usually do volunteer work until late on Xmas Eve anyway so spend xmas day in bed to avoid the enforced merryment.

Was just trying to illustrate a point is all. If you're all christians and expect everything to close on a sunday/xmas/easter then get your arses to church and worship the god you supposedly believe in and who would be offended by people

spending money on a sunday.

over a year ago

You can bank on running out of something if they went back to Sunday closing....

over a year ago

As someone that has just escaped the horror of retail management my observation would be....

Sunday working is fine as long as there is a balance and its fair for all. A certain large DIY multiple calculated the sunday premium when sunday trading started at 4% of annual based on working 6 hours one sunday in 3, Gradually it became 8 hours one in 2 sundays for no extra, recently they now want every weekend worked. No extra premium, unless you are not management, then you get time and a half! Unless you opt out, then they take the hours off you. Catch 22.

over a year ago

"As someone that has just escaped the horror of retail management my observation would be....

Sunday working is fine as long as there is a balance and its fair for all. A certain large DIY multiple calculated the sunday premium when sunday trading started at 4% of annual based on working 6 hours one sunday in 3, Gradually it became 8 hours one in 2 sundays for no extra, recently they now want every weekend worked. No extra premium, unless you are not management, then you get time and a half! Unless you opt out, then they take the hours off you. Catch 22. "

I'm a driver for one off these supermarket chains, we work 5 days from 7 no extra pay when your working Sat/sun, its a case of if you don't like it there's the door !

over a year ago

"As someone that has just escaped the horror of retail management my observation would be....

Sunday working is fine as long as there is a balance and its fair for all. A certain large DIY multiple calculated the sunday premium when sunday trading started at 4% of annual based on working 6 hours one sunday in 3, Gradually it became 8 hours one in 2 sundays for no extra, recently they now want every weekend worked. No extra premium, unless you are not management, then you get time and a half! Unless you opt out, then they take the hours off you. Catch 22.

I'm a driver for one off these supermarket chains, we work 5 days from 7 no extra pay when your working Sat/sun, its a case of if you don't like it there's the door ! "

Same with the Hotel trade was told this time and time again. Open every day of the year so no Extra.

Even Xmas day we were told if we didn't like it to go.

By the time you paid for the taxi to get to work with the extra pence they gave you..... You were paying yourself to go to work.

I ended up £20 down on top of my wages for the taxis

over a year ago

im in the gym 10 a`m every sunday

over a year ago

Think it's classed as a normal working day nowxx

Post new Message to Thread