Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Food shortages for Christmas

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Lots of talk from retailers. My take.. deliberately trying to panic people into buying stuff they don't need..

Profiteering I reckon

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Lots of talk from retailers. My take.. deliberately trying to panic people into buying stuff they don't need..

Profiteering I reckon "

Stock up on loo rolls and pasta now folks... Just in case.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Lots of talk from retailers. My take.. deliberately trying to panic people into buying stuff they don't need..

Profiteering I reckon

Stock up on loo rolls and pasta now folks... Just in case. "

If I have to eat one more loo roll!!!!

over a year ago

I got my bottle of Warnicks Advocaat today. I couldn't get any last Christmas.

I will get my meat early as usual but am not going to panic buy anything.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Is the mulled wine out yet?

over a year ago

Profiteering I reckon "

The amount of unused food I saw thrown out after last Christmas was disgusting, and all because people over bought for fear of running out.

By *LiamMan
over a year ago

Midlands

Turkey twizlers with gravy then

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s like any other day, plan your meal, if they don’t have something adapt with what you can get.

For me it’s not about the food more the time spent with people, the memories made.

over a year ago

Profiteering I reckon

The amount of unused food I saw thrown out after last Christmas was disgusting, and all because people over bought for fear of running out. "

No. Because people bought to entertain family before those cunts in charge cancelled it at the last minute despite assurances 2 days earlier they wouldn't.

Nothing to do with running out.

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Got my mince pies today x

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Profiteering I reckon "

Maybe, maybe not.

Some places in the UK are already starting to struggle for some items. I think they are just about keeping on top of it in England, but with the amount people buy at Christmas stocks may run low.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Got my mince pies today x"

Whats the sell by date ?

over a year ago

Profiteering I reckon

The amount of unused food I saw thrown out after last Christmas was disgusting, and all because people over bought for fear of running out.

No. Because people bought to entertain family before those cunts in charge cancelled it at the last minute despite assurances 2 days earlier they wouldn't.

Nothing to do with running out."

I'm talking about in my neighbourhood where we had a very different "Lockdown" to the rest of the country.

By *quaman87Man
over a year ago

ramsey

Pay increase and there won't be a issue. For the aggrivation hgv drivers get the money ain't worth it. I'm a artic driver have been from 21. The pressure put on us, being treated like dirt, spoken to like shit. Away 5 6 nights a week from family. 15 hour days, pushed to the last second of driving hours. 3am starts.....I could go on. Money has just started going up. I'm self employed and i give it up a month ago due to stress. Missing my children etc.It's a marriage/relationship killer. To much time being on your own becomes normal and when your back home around people you don't wanna be there. People say it's a easy job, sat on our arse all day. It's the most mentally exhausting thing I think you can do.

We are underrated, underpaid and not given enough credit for what we do day in day out!

To my fellow drivers. Doing a great job guys and girls x

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

What do lorry drivers earn after all this hype of pay increase

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"What do lorry drivers earn after all this hype of pay increase"

Depends if it's a red lorry or a yellow lorry

By *l MateMan
over a year ago

Sheffield Centre

Profiteering I reckon "

TBF there's always food shortages. Let's hope we don't get the silliness of people fighting in the aisles this year.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Well it is time to put the sprouts on...

By *eyondhornyMan
over a year ago

Abercynon-ish

"Well it is time to put the sprouts on..."

Always plenty of those in the shops.

Even Jamie Oliver's 1 part sprout, 2 parts Worcestershire sauce recipe doesn't improve them.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Crikey, an ex's Mum used to boil the bejesus out of all the veg, pour the water down the drain, then boil the kettle to make the gravy

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

....... the compost heap!

I'm enjoying this game of Catchphrase

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

There is a shortage of delivery drivers, we are already seeing shortages in our local co op

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

Stranded cargo ship in Suez canal also had massive knock on effects for all types of supply chains - food chain still suffering...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Well it is time to put the sprouts on...

Always plenty of those in the shops.

Even Jamie Oliver's 1 part sprout, 2 parts Worcestershire sauce recipe doesn't improve them. "

. I hate the things

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Crikey, an ex's Mum used to boil the bejesus out of all the veg, pour the water down the drain, then boil the kettle to make the gravy "

Ha ha.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

....... the compost heap!

I'm enjoying this game of Catchphrase "

I leave them in the shops

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

You can 100% guarantee that there will be tins chocolates available, so we'll be OK.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I’m getting a serious ‘ anti sprout ‘ vibe off you people.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, sprouts have feelings too ya know.

There is nothing wrong with sprouts other than the way people cook ‘em.

Cooked properly they are delish.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's currently a major issue, for retailers to get deliveries of all stock, so it's reasonable to expect things to be worse at the busiest shopping period, unless someone drastically changes.

Brexit was the substantial stress factor that damaged a system that was already in trouble. With the loss of large number of EU citizens, we have to increase our number of drivers somehow, probably via immigration.

By *udeSpaLoverMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

I think they should be paid more - I heard that tube drivers in London get around £50-60k a year and its pretty similar, except in many ways easier and safer...but also being in the dark all that time can't be fun. But I would guess lorry drivers make about half that amount?

But, supply and demand - wages will keep rising until there is enough supply again, the retailers and other firms will have no choice about it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I’m getting a serious ‘ anti sprout ‘ vibe off you people.

Cooked properly they are delish. "

I'm a proud anti-sprouter. I refuse to be sprouted until we have proof that they do no harm

By *organ and rob zombieCouple
over a year ago

bradford

Crikey, an ex's Mum used to boil the bejesus out of all the veg, pour the water down the drain, then boil the kettle to make the gravy "

Sacrilege

By *organ and rob zombieCouple
over a year ago

bradford

Cooked properly they are delish. "

This! Love and adore sprouts, keep em crunchy though!

over a year ago

Profiteering I reckon "

The businesses can't bulk stock at this time of year it means....

So, will struggle with high demand at Christmas!

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Pay increase and there won't be a issue. For the aggrivation hgv drivers get the money ain't worth it. I'm a artic driver have been from 21. The pressure put on us, being treated like dirt, spoken to like shit. Away 5 6 nights a week from family. 15 hour days, pushed to the last second of driving hours. 3am starts.....I could go on. Money has just started going up. I'm self employed and i give it up a month ago due to stress. Missing my children etc.It's a marriage/relationship killer. To much time being on your own becomes normal and when your back home around people you don't wanna be there. People say it's a easy job, sat on our arse all day. It's the most mentally exhausting thing I think you can do.

We are underrated, underpaid and not given enough credit for what we do day in day out!

To my fellow drivers. Doing a great job guys and girls x"

over a year ago

....Approx 100,000 drivers missing since Brexit - do you think we'll find them before Crimbo.....

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"....Approx 100,000 drivers missing since Brexit - do you think we'll find them before Crimbo....."

More to do with tax #ir35.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

That will save me cooking a roast for 8

over a year ago

"Pay increase and there won't be a issue. For the aggrivation hgv drivers get the money ain't worth it. I'm a artic driver have been from 21. The pressure put on us, being treated like dirt, spoken to like shit. Away 5 6 nights a week from family. 15 hour days, pushed to the last second of driving hours. 3am starts.....I could go on. Money has just started going up. I'm self employed and i give it up a month ago due to stress. Missing my children etc.It's a marriage/relationship killer. To much time being on your own becomes normal and when your back home around people you don't wanna be there. People say it's a easy job, sat on our arse all day. It's the most mentally exhausting thing I think you can do.

Completely and utterly totally agree. Got my C licence about 16yr ago. Had to take a break from it for a few years - it is definitely a relationship killer. Trying to get back into it now but there are still so many cowboy employers out there....

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

No supply issues here, as our food comes from local farms etc.

over a year ago

North West

"No supply issues here, as our food comes from local farms etc."

City centres don't often have farm shops. We live in the 'burbs BUT the independent shops are not accessible. So it's Sainsbury's or bust for me....

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I'm booked in at a local hotel for Christmas dinner, same as usual.

I'm not precious about the meal itself; I'm sure they'll come up with something edible!

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Ww2 Britain had food shortages but they managed and i think we’ll manage this time

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"No supply issues here, as our food comes from local farms etc.

City centres don't often have farm shops. We live in the 'burbs BUT the independent shops are not accessible. So it's Sainsbury's or bust for me...."

Had the same situation until I moved here at age 30

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

Cooked properly they are delish.

This! Love and adore sprouts, keep em crunchy though! "

Agreed

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"Ww2 Britain had food shortages but they managed and i think we’ll manage this time "

You'd like to hope so wouldn't you.

over a year ago

Every year from August, I buy a food item for our Christmas box every week... ( obs checking dates)

It gets put in the loft so it's a hassle to raid. It means we have a hamper of goodies that you don't notice money wise and you get the best buys if you get in early.

Its not hording it may just be a packet of crackers or pringles...makes it easier for us.

over a year ago

North West

"Ww2 Britain had food shortages but they managed and i think we’ll manage this time "

Indeed, my Grandad lived through it as a lad and ended up malnourished to fuck as a consequence. Three children, a single father on a casual labourers wage = only the basic rations. When he joined the Army in 1945 (age 14), he was incredibly thin and malnourished.

The average normal height and weight of British children has increased hugely since WW2, due to improvements in nutrition.

Obviously we're not going to be in the same situation as 1939-1945 (plus post War rationing) but to suggest that Britain coped well with inadequate food supplies is perhaps a bit left of field.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Ww2 Britain had food shortages but they managed and i think we’ll manage this time

Indeed, my Grandad lived through it as a lad and ended up malnourished to fuck as a consequence. Three children, a single father on a casual labourers wage = only the basic rations. When he joined the Army in 1945 (age 14), he was incredibly thin and malnourished.

The average normal height and weight of British children has increased hugely since WW2, due to improvements in nutrition.

Obviously we're not going to be in the same situation as 1939-1945 (plus post War rationing) but to suggest that Britain coped well with inadequate food supplies is perhaps a bit left of field. "

fair point

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ww2 Britain had food shortages but they managed and i think we’ll manage this time

Obviously we're not going to be in the same situation as 1939-1945 (plus post War rationing) but to suggest that Britain coped well with inadequate food supplies is perhaps a bit left of field. "

This is very true.

Coincidentally I was chatting to my dad yesterday about his ear time experiences. He mentioned food or lack of. I doubt very much that people would cope well with the level of shortages the population dealt with in the ear years. Especially since a fast food outlet running out of milkshake makes headlines

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

*war

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Profiteering I reckon "

No, there is a real underlying problem, lack of hgv drivers.

And a busy period like Christmas will create further pressure.

The biggest problem here is people’s behaviour and expectations with respect to Christmas, going more and more overboard each year and thinking that it is normal.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

We will be ok. Some people will have to make do on choice.

By *urious couple22Couple
over a year ago

Derby

to be fair there are a shortage of driver's but it is to get you in to panic buy.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"to be fair there are a shortage of driver's but it is to get you in to panic buy."

You can't panic but a milkshake if there aren't any.

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

"You can 100% guarantee that there will be tins chocolates available, so we'll be OK. "

They are out now

over a year ago

North West

I'm satisfied that we'll be absolutely fine for Christmas. We don't buy lots of extra/random food for the five people who are at our house. We have a roast dinner, maybe with a nice homemade dessert but otherwise, we just have normal stuff. I can always make bread if it runs out in the pre-packed variety

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'm satisfied that we'll be absolutely fine for Christmas. We don't buy lots of extra/random food for the five people who are at our house. We have a roast dinner, maybe with a nice homemade dessert but otherwise, we just have normal stuff. I can always make bread if it runs out in the pre-packed variety "

You know that right now there are people stacking bread flour up in their garage next to the toilet roll mountain

over a year ago

North West

"I'm satisfied that we'll be absolutely fine for Christmas. We don't buy lots of extra/random food for the five people who are at our house. We have a roast dinner, maybe with a nice homemade dessert but otherwise, we just have normal stuff. I can always make bread if it runs out in the pre-packed variety

You know that right now there are people stacking bread flour up in their garage next to the toilet roll mountain "

What's the quote?! I shall let us eat cake instead

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'm satisfied that we'll be absolutely fine for Christmas. We don't buy lots of extra/random food for the five people who are at our house. We have a roast dinner, maybe with a nice homemade dessert but otherwise, we just have normal stuff. I can always make bread if it runs out in the pre-packed variety

You know that right now there are people stacking bread flour up in their garage next to the toilet roll mountain

What's the quote?! I shall let us eat cake instead "

Whatever happens we will have food. It might not be the food we want or traditionally eat at that particular festival but we will not go hungry. So it's all round to yours for a sandwich or some cake

By *udeSpaLoverMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Something I thought about - very few lorry drivers are women, so are there ways the recruitment firms can appeal to get more lady drivers? One of the reasons might be because of the long journeys and time away from home, more women still work part time and are still predominantly the child carers (the woke won't like that but the stats back it up) So why not offer job shares? Person A drives the lorry so far, Person B then takes over, Person A drives another truck back again from the mid-point. Rather than 1 person doing the whole round trip.

Just things like this they could do, they need to try and think about, maybe you can appeal to more women and get them into training/work in this area?

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

If I don’t get turkey and sprouts then my Christmas is ruined ..

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

A Merry Shitmas

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Something I thought about - very few lorry drivers are women, so are there ways the recruitment firms can appeal to get more lady drivers? One of the reasons might be because of the long journeys and time away from home, more women still work part time and are still predominantly the child carers (the woke won't like that but the stats back it up) So why not offer job shares? Person A drives the lorry so far, Person B then takes over, Person A drives another truck back again from the mid-point. Rather than 1 person doing the whole round trip.

Just things like this they could do, they need to try and think about, maybe you can appeal to more women and get them into training/work in this area? "

Excellent idea. Almost like the old system of changing horses at various points along the route.

I think employers are very slow to change and adapt in many cases and the ones who think of solutions like this will be the ones who do best

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

We have a lot of farms around where I live but the thought of going there and picking 1 out to kill makes me squeamish.Probably makes me a hypocrite as I wouldn’t have any issue eating it as long as I don’t see the process before it ..

over a year ago

It’s most likely going to happen , due to shortages in warehouse staff to pack trailers , drivers to deliver goods and problems at ports with brining goods into the country .

All due to brexit and massive amounts of European workers going home .

Good news though is that wages are going through the roof in all the above sectors as they no longer have access to cheap labour .

Wages have been stagnant since 2008 so long over due . companies are going to have to start paying wages British workers will actually work for instead of wages that leave you on the poverty line after working a 50 hour week

over a year ago

It won't do us any harm

It's an orgy of gluttony that needs cutting back on anyway

By *udeSpaLoverMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Exactly, and while unemployment is falling, there are still plenty of people looking for work - for a long time it felt like these kind of warehouse jobs were viewed as low pay, menial, and people felt they were just as well staying on benefits. If rates of pay go up some of those people will get off their backsides and take the jobs - they're not necessarily skilled or even semi skilled so nearly anyone can do it, they just have to be incentivised. And then that is sort of one of the points of Brexit isn't it? More jobs for Brits, better pay, lower unemployment...Brexit might not be all bad when things come out in the wash.

over a year ago

For once the op is correct, I use a food supplier for work who have informed us due to covid and brexit alot of food items are indeed in short supply

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"For once the op is correct, I use a food supplier for work who have informed us due to covid and brexit alot of food items are indeed in short supply "

I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP is suggesting

over a year ago

"For once the op is correct, I use a food supplier for work who have informed us due to covid and brexit alot of food items are indeed in short supply

I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP is suggesting"

He said retailers and I use retailers

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

I agree being a truck driver we are treated like shit

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

"What do lorry drivers earn after all this hype of pay increase"

I’m on £10 an hour for driving a 44 tonne truck

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"For once the op is correct, I use a food supplier for work who have informed us due to covid and brexit alot of food items are indeed in short supply

I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP is suggesting

He said retailers and I use retailers "

He is suggesting that it's a ploy by retailers to get us to buy more and not because of Brexit or Covid. I think he is wrong

By *udeSpaLoverMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

"What do lorry drivers earn after all this hype of pay increase

I’m on £10 an hour for driving a 44 tonne truck"

£10 an hour is low but do they give you lots of hours or do you get overtime when stuck in traffic?

I used to hire security guards and they also got shockingly low hourly rates BUT they would normally be pretty much guaranteed 60 hours a week if they wanted it, so it adds up. The thinking in the industry is that security guards spend a lot of time on their arse not doing much, especially if guarding a site at night time, so their fatigue level is equal to someone who spends 8 hours a day in a factory or office working flat out. Debatable, but that's how it is.

I however would think driving for hours on end and having to concentrate on the road, is pretty tiring, so pay should be more.

By *urora1912Woman
over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

Profiteering I reckon "

Have you not seen the empty shelves at the moment... although Christmas is a while yet.

Which retailers have been saying this?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

How can I make a turkey out of bog rolls and pasta?

over a year ago

Chicken buna for me then

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"How can I make a turkey out of bog rolls and pasta? "

With a good imagination anything is possible

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Such a gloomy post, it should be in the Covid or politics thread

By *oom Bang a BangMan
over a year ago

Watford

Will my annual galette de rois make it across the channel?

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

"Got my mince pies today x"

Where did you get them from?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I think I still have a Christmas pudding knocking about somewhere

over a year ago

Stock up on loo roll, long life milk, washing powder, beans and pasta. Sorted!

over a year ago

"Is the mulled wine out yet? "

You could always make your own.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"What do lorry drivers earn after all this hype of pay increase

I’m on £10 an hour for driving a 44 tonne truck"

Crikey I'm on more than that in my job

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

A lot of specialist producers make stuff through the year purely for Christmas

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And amazingly all the shops fully stocked after Christmas in the sales

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"And amazingly all the shops fully stocked after Christmas in the sales

.."

He's a time traveler^

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

He's a time traveler^"

No.. a prediction

By *ustauseerTV/TS
over a year ago

sedgemoor

We have been having huge shortages of stocks, food is just the newest thing, it makes sense to me that we’d have this disruption because a year ago we where all coming out of lockdowns

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

People will panic buy stoked by the supermarket bosses..

I can do a gathering of 12 for peanuts.. don't let these buggers con you

over a year ago

North West

"People will panic buy stoked by the supermarket bosses..

I can do a gathering of 12 for peanuts.. don't let these buggers con you "

You should cater for those with peanut allergies too.

#inclusive

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

#inclusive "

It's statistically proven that many people with food allergies are allergic to certain foods

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's so easy to cater for visitors...no need to stock up

#inclusive

It's statistically proven that many people with food allergies are allergic to certain foods "

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

.."

They can't make sprouts cheap enough for some people.

over a year ago

They can't make sprouts cheap enough for some people. "

All the more for me

Post new Message to Thread