Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Anxiety/depression treatments

Jump to newest

By *nfinityland OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester

How do you anxious folk cope when things get rough? I'm trying a few different methods recently as not a lot seems to be working. Believe it or not but lot's of sex with beautiful women doesn't work either. Im learning about meditation right now and hoping to give it a good go and see if it works for me as I know of a few people who have had good results from it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

I started running and find that helps.

Whenever I'm suffering, even though at the time it feels like the last thing I want to do, doing something to improve my physical side seems to help my mental side, so eating healthy, plenty of exercise, getting a hair cut and keeping well groomed really helps.

Hope you can get on top of it. It's a right fucker.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

I also do yoga, which I find helps the fitness and relaxes my mind in the same way meditation does.

By *assagetherightplacesMan
over a year ago

bradford

"How do you anxious folk cope when things get rough? I'm trying a few different methods recently as not a lot seems to be working. Believe it or not but lot's of sex with beautiful women doesn't work either. Im learning about meditation right now and hoping to give it a good go and see if it works for me as I know of a few people who have had good results from it. "

i cant message you direct to give you advice/ask Qs

there is different meditations depending on the issues etc, there is lots of self help such as distractions, that are great cooing methods

if you wonna chat ill happily discuss

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Generally stay active and keep doing things.

Also help others a little. Dont feel life is all about you. Dont over dwell.

It does help

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Get away from the tv and radio and social media. Take a walk somewhere serene or take up gardening. Anything to help calm the mind.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

If you get anxious over an issue, it’s worth breaking it down, (on a piece of paper, so you can refer back.)

When do I get anxious?

What happens to my body? (Physically and mentally.)

What am I afraid of?

What is the worst that can happen?

What is really likely to happen?

It’s not easy, but anxiety provokes the fight or flight response, learning to deal with it in small steps can help your thinking change and thus your physical response to it as well.

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Keep busy

Take regular exercise

Always have something you enjoy on the horizon

Try St Johns Wort (but ask a pharmacist first if you're taking any other medication)

By *hrough the looking gla55Couple
over a year ago

Cheam

Be kind to yourself. It’s okay to not be okay. Acknowledge that and except not everyday will be easy but focus on the days which are. Hold onto those moments. And keep those positive influences whether they do keeping active or family/friends close

Stay strong

over a year ago

Lots of good advice here, but also, try and get some daily exercise, whatever you are motivated to do, make sure you’re eating a healthy diet, take probiotics (there’s a lot of research into the gut-brain link) and check if you need to supplement, particularly with vitamin D and magnesium.

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Walking, lots of walking helps me immensely. Clears my head, the fresh air, taking in my surroundings.

I’ve tried alsorts and this is my foolproof way

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Lots of good advice here, but also, try and get some daily exercise, whatever you are motivated to do, make sure you’re eating a healthy diet, take probiotics (there’s a lot of research into the gut-brain link) and check if you need to supplement, particularly with vitamin D and magnesium. "

I second the Vit D/magnesium.

Also get your folate and B12 levels checked.

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Big hugs, mental health issues suck.

For me, yoga, meditation (I love a body scan meditation when my anxiety is bad) and a walk, preferably in nature are all good tools. Also practising gratitude is really powerful. Positive self-talk works well and I can’t recommend Claire Weeks book ‘Self Help for your Nerves’ highly enough for anxiety. It pulled me back from a really unpleasant place mentally at the end of last year. Do as much reading around to understand it as you can too. Anxiety is basically an over-stimulation of your nervous system, simple breathing techniques can convince your body that everything is ok and calm the internal systems down.

Feel free to message if you ever need somebody to talk to x

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I'm careful of what I eat as irritation of my stomach, caffeine and different sugars cause my anxiety a lot of the time.

If it's anxiety from an issue then medication deals with it.

If it's mild anxiety I tell myself it will pass and focus on my daily tasks.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Meditation (mindfulness, body and breath) and strength training are the most accessible and easiest things I can recommend.

I take medication.

I try to step away before I get overwhelmed with things. I try to logic myself out before I begin catastrophising, but if I'm already there logic doesn't work, so I tend to my feelings.

Avoidance makes things worse.

By *organ and rob zombieCouple
over a year ago

bradford

Here for the comments/suggestions, much love everyone, we’ve got this x

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I did a CBT course earlier in the year (online) and it really helps me as I've got tools now to help deal with anxiety and negative thinking.

Worth a look.

By *W_RedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

All of what has been said above, staying active, fresh air, try and avoid the negativity that life can bring. I don't follow the news as much as I used to. But one of the big things that helps me is just talking about it.

By *nfinityland OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester

Thank you all for your feedback, im going out on my bike for the day to hopefully clear my head a bit. Ill have a good read through later

over a year ago

Walking. Taking myself off up a mountain with nobody else around, finding somewhere to sit to just breath and regroup my thoughts.

over a year ago

Find what works for you.

There is lots of really good suggestions here but what works for one won't work for all or all situations.

I find it helpful to have a "tool kit" of things that help but it's also worth remembering sometimes its ok to have a "duvet day" it's only when that day turns into a week, a month... that it can be an issue.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Find what works for you.

There is lots of really good suggestions here but what works for one won't work for all or all situations.

I find it helpful to have a "tool kit" of things that help but it's also worth remembering sometimes its ok to have a "duvet day" it's only when that day turns into a week, a month... that it can be an issue. "

Absolutely. I've shown you my tool kit. Find yours.

over a year ago

Have tried and trying various things

Try and get out of the house each day even if means bribing myself with the pub for food

Get lost in TV series

Kink used to help but not as much now

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Sometimes I think.

I tell myself my life isn't that bad and I think about the things that make me happy.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Sex doesn't help me with anxiety or depression; neither does going for a walk.

By *ofdiamondsMan
over a year ago

Between wisbech & Kings lynn

Don't be afraid to speak to someone, whether it's a professional therapist or a good friend. Talking helps a lot, bottling it up doesn't.

There's no shame in needing medication to take the edge off (antidepressants not herbal).

Find a hobby, whether it's something active like running or more relaxing like painting. Having a distraction like that which you can lose yourself in for a while really helps.

And lastly, always remember that your brain can sometimes be your worst enemy but that doesn't mean you can't get through it and you are stronger than you think

By *nfinityland OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester

I've felt a bit better today, I just need to force myself out of the house and go for a bike ride everyday. And make sure I don't spend too much time alone with my thoughts.

over a year ago

During lockdown 1.0 I found time spent in the garden calmed me and gave me a little boost when I felt I was struggling

By *nfinityland OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester

"During lockdown 1.0 I found time spent in the garden calmed me and gave me a little boost when I felt I was struggling "

Yeah I do that sometimes, i feel like my issue most times is just being on my own a lot

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Go different places for walks. It's nice going for a walk but can get monotonous walking the same place every day. Google parks near you and you'll find some lovely places

Find a project. Gardening, DIY etc

Make plans

Experiment with cooking

Do good deeds for other people

Find different music/bands to listen to

Stop thinking about things. It only makes you worse

Get a few books and start reading

Organise your house

R

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I had a vitamin d deficiency which wasn’t fun.

Get a multivitamin, vit d, magnesium (as suggested), start doing gentle exercise regularly, and reach out for help.

You can self refer for talking therapy in most places direct on the website.

Mindfulness is also useful as you can make positive changes to how you view things. It is not immediate and takes time. Same with most things.

St John’s Wort also mentioned is a natural antidepressant or your go can help if you choose to go down this path.

There is headspace on Netflix which is good or there are mindfulness resources on YouTube and online.

A lot of people are struggling just now. That doesn’t take away from how you are feeling but you are not alone and others can help.

over a year ago

Oh, also Insight Timer. It’s an app, you can get music, meditations, talks. It’s really good

over a year ago

Do you know what the trigger is?

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"During lockdown 1.0 I found time spent in the garden calmed me and gave me a little boost when I felt I was struggling

Yeah I do that sometimes, i feel like my issue most times is just being on my own a lot"

I have a simple technique for changing my frame of mind and it works almost everywhere I go and 90% of the time.

I keep a 50p coin in my pocket.

When I realise I am thinking irrationally, that could be getting angry in the car, or I'm finding things around me dragging me down and it could be anything that triggers you and me.. I put my hand around the 50p coin and feel the edges, I think of the shape, the coldness or heat of the metal, the weight of the coin and all its engraving that I can feel with my fingers. It is then I suddenly snap out of the mindset and I can start to think more clearly.

I'm not saying this would work on its own, but it jolts me into taking further preventative measures such as going to the gym and things that have been mentioned above here.

I hope you start to feel better soon

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

There are some great ideas on here and I'm hugely respectful of those who are trying to tackle this.

However please spare a thought for those of us who live with partners who suffer from anxiety and stress. I've been married for almost 24 years and throughout that time she's been highly stressed and anxious. For the past 14 years she's been on antidepressants and has recently admitted and 8 year mild addiction to codeine. Life really isn't easy at all particularly as she seems to take all her anger and frustration in life out on me. She won't accept how she behaves and there's little point in recommending some of the suggestions in this thread as she won't listen. I should have left years ago but I couldn't leave the kids.

This isn't a sympathy post, I'm responsible for my own actions. But to all of you grappling with these problems please remember that there are people out there who love and care for you and are trying to support you. Please make sure you don't push them away.

over a year ago

"There are some great ideas on here and I'm hugely respectful of those who are trying to tackle this.

However please spare a thought for those of us who live with partners who suffer from anxiety and stress. I've been married for almost 24 years and throughout that time she's been highly stressed and anxious. For the past 14 years she's been on antidepressants and has recently admitted and 8 year mild addiction to codeine. Life really isn't easy at all particularly as she seems to take all her anger and frustration in life out on me. She won't accept how she behaves and there's little point in recommending some of the suggestions in this thread as she won't listen. I should have left years ago but I couldn't leave the kids.

This isn't a sympathy post, I'm responsible for my own actions. But to all of you grappling with these problems please remember that there are people out there who love and care for you and are trying to support you. Please make sure you don't push them away. "

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure if you are already involved in something but there are lots of support for carers of people you suffer with mental health conditions so im not sure if that something you might find helpful.

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

"There are some great ideas on here and I'm hugely respectful of those who are trying to tackle this.

This isn't a sympathy post, I'm responsible for my own actions. But to all of you grappling with these problems please remember that there are people out there who love and care for you and are trying to support you. Please make sure you don't push them away.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure if you are already involved in something but there are lots of support for carers of people you suffer with mental health conditions so im not sure if that something you might find helpful. "

Thank you, that's much appreciated, I will look into it. X

over a year ago

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure if you are already involved in something but there are lots of support for carers of people you suffer with mental health conditions so im not sure if that something you might find helpful.

Thank you, that's much appreciated, I will look into it. X"

I would highly advise this, I know people who have been helped greatly. X

By *lowingMan
over a year ago

Warrington

I am not convinced anything works. I am sure people can get respite from specific things at specific times… I find driving can give me short term relief….but I suspect we just get used to the symptoms/ feelings over time so they appear to fade. Tried meds, CBT, counselling…but currently every morning remains Russian roulette

over a year ago

"I am not convinced anything works. I am sure people can get respite from specific things at specific times… I find driving can give me short term relief….but I suspect we just get used to the symptoms/ feelings over time so they appear to fade. Tried meds, CBT, counselling…but currently every morning remains Russian roulette "

I sometimes agree and I think we often want to cure or completely get rid of things it's like me wanting to get rid of my diabetes it aint gonna happen.

What we can do though is live as best we can and try to look after ourselves.

By *aturegentdurhamMan
over a year ago

Stanley

This sound silly but it works for me.

I try and find something i can look at that looks stunning.

I usually find a view where i can sit or stand and just take in my view whether it be of open fields woodland or even tge beauty of the sky.

Doing this helps my anxiety greatly.

I have thousands of photos on my phone of sights that have brought me peace.

So if i can see something of beauty i have it on my phone.

Post new Message to Thread