Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Euphemisms

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This is coming off the back of another thread but also actually in response to the many other threads that have had a go at women using the "wrong" descriptors for their bodies.

It's called a fucking euphemism, genius.

If you're out at a restaurant and you need to pee, do you just loudly exclaim "I need to forcefully expel some excrement from my bladder" or do you politely excuse yourself to "pop to the loo"?

If you're at a funeral, do you tell the bereaved "ah yes, they definitely look dead" or do you say "I'm very sorry for your loss"?

More importantly, does anyone ever call you up on it when you don't use "correct" terminology?

"Fat" is a negative word to many. Because people have made it so with their judgemental comments. Some people are fat and proud and have no issue with the word. Others are fat and are self conscious of it and so prefer to use euphemisms.

Then there's those who are fat and actively trying to do something about it. Those are the people who feel shit about their bodies as it is. Who already know all the stats and dangers of being obese and are tired of having to justify themselves. Who are trying to learn to love themselves on the way to being healthy and seeing this judgement every day is like taking two massive steps back. Why do you feel the need to contribute to someone's unhappiness in this way?

Just check the fucking photos. If they're not to your liking, then move on.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Sorry this was meant to be about euphemisms but just turned into word vomit

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Really good question, OP and I guess we are all a bit part of the use of euphemisms to describe a less than desirable matter.

The mere term "passing on" is an example.

I think if euphemisms are designed to help alleviate pain, to talk about something that is perhaps a bit embarrassing or difficult - that is cool with me.

It is when they are used as weapons rather than helpful linguistic tools... that is where I have an issue - probably a bit like you do.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Sorry this was meant to be about euphemisms but just turned into word vomit "

No apology needed. In general using euphemisms is better than brutal word use for the sake of feelings. Even if some of them are cringy like "passed" for "died"

By *ragoniteMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

Some euphemisms are quite quaint and the history behind them can be fascinating. Spend a penny springs to mind.

And there are endless ones for masturbation, punishing the pope, bashing the bishop, flicking the bean etc etc.

I think it’s a very British thing too although happy to be corrected if anyone knows if euphemisms are common in other places

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Some euphemisms are quite quaint and the history behind them can be fascinating. Spend a penny springs to mind.

And there are endless ones for masturbation, punishing the pope, bashing the bishop, flicking the bean etc etc.

I think it’s a very British thing too although happy to be corrected if anyone knows if euphemisms are common in other places

"

It is the same in other languages, maybe for different topics although many of our British taboos are also considered taboos in other cultures.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"This is coming off the back of another thread but also actually in response to the many other threads that have had a go at women using the "wrong" descriptors for their bodies.

It's called a fucking euphemism, genius.

If you're out at a restaurant and you need to pee, do you just loudly exclaim "I need to forcefully expel some excrement from my bladder" or do you politely excuse yourself to "pop to the loo"?

If you're at a funeral, do you tell the bereaved "ah yes, they definitely look dead" or do you say "I'm very sorry for your loss"?

More importantly, does anyone ever call you up on it when you don't use "correct" terminology?

"Fat" is a negative word to many. Because people have made it so with their judgemental comments. Some people are fat and proud and have no issue with the word. Others are fat and are self conscious of it and so prefer to use euphemisms.

Then there's those who are fat and actively trying to do something about it. Those are the people who feel shit about their bodies as it is. Who already know all the stats and dangers of being obese and are tired of having to justify themselves. Who are trying to learn to love themselves on the way to being healthy and seeing this judgement every day is like taking two massive steps back. Why do you feel the need to contribute to someone's unhappiness in this way?

Just check the fucking photos. If they're not to your liking, then move on. "

I do euphemisms in ways of easing someone’s pain or to save embarrassment.

I would never use them to describe somebody’s physical appearance. You can describe someone easily though positive attributes without resorting to comments or insults no matter how veiled they are

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"

Just check the fucking photos. If they're not to your liking, then move on. "

I make sure to have a couple of relatively clear body photos, so my size shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who looks.

I don't have an issue with being called fat. I wouldn't say I was fat and proud (most days I'm fat and barely accepting, fat and thinly-veiled loathing at times!), but I don't see it as a pejorative term, as an insult.

I do understand why some people do.

Even if you take out any euphemism at all - I'm currently around a size 26. That to me is fat. It's very different to a woman who is 5'10" and a size 22 - is she fat? It's also different to someone who is on My 600lbs Life and is completely immobile due to their size - are they fat? Fat covers just as much variation as any euphemism you could possibly use.

As you rightly say, just look at the photos, decide whether or not you like, move on with your life!

Life would be much easier if we could all let others use whatever descriptors feel appropriate to them.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

Just check the fucking photos. If they're not to your liking, then move on.

I make sure to have a couple of relatively clear body photos, so my size shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who looks.

I don't have an issue with being called fat. I wouldn't say I was fat and proud (most days I'm fat and barely accepting, fat and thinly-veiled loathing at times!), but I don't see it as a pejorative term, as an insult.

I do understand why some people do.

Even if you take out any euphemism at all - I'm currently around a size 26. That to me is fat. It's very different to a woman who is 5'10" and a size 22 - is she fat? It's also different to someone who is on My 600lbs Life and is completely immobile due to their size - are they fat? Fat covers just as much variation as any euphemism you could possibly use.

As you rightly say, just look at the photos, decide whether or not you like, move on with your life!

Life would be much easier if we could all let others use whatever descriptors feel appropriate to them."

Amen!

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I need to forcefully expel some excrement from my bladder

I'm eternally grateful for this sentence

Post new Message to Thread