Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Moral compass...

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

How as your moral compass changed in time, if indeed it has?

What did you used to consider unacceptable behaviour/ opinions/ values that you can now relate to? And vice versa , of course.

I remember many years ago being a bit judgmental about swingers (no joke) even though I also found the idea exciting.

On another note I thought it was wrong that parents would take their kids out of school for a holiday.

I have changed my mind on both

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

My libido's gone West

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

I think it's a healthy place to be in that one is open to looking at things again and changing ones view on them, certainly think it comes with experiences in life etc..

But pineapple on pizza, no way will I ever think that ok..

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"My libido's gone West "

Go West,young man... Go West!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I think it's a healthy place to be in that one is open to looking at things again and changing ones view on them, certainly think it comes with experiences in life etc..

But pineapple on pizza, no way will I ever think that ok.. "

I get your point entirely. Pineapple should be served with curry!

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"I think it's a healthy place to be in that one is open to looking at things again and changing ones view on them, certainly think it comes with experiences in life etc..

I get your point entirely. Pineapple should be served with curry! "

oo fusion

over a year ago

in Lancashire

I get your point entirely. Pineapple should be served with curry! "

That's plain wrong..

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

When I was really young I used to think that dual citizenship was wrong. I changed my mind and now I have it myself.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I get your point entirely. Pineapple should be served with curry! oo fusion "

Oh can you imagine the sweet acidic juices of the pineapple gently teasing the meat.... and vegetables in the curry?

Mouthwatering....

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

That's plain wrong.. "

I will send you a recipe to change your mind

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"When I was really young I used to think that dual citizenship was wrong. I changed my mind and now I have it myself. "

Me, too snap

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

My moral compass has done a complete and utter turnaround.

I'm not giving details but I'm extremely proud of where my compass points nowadays.

Mrs

over a year ago

in Lancashire

That's plain wrong.. I will send you a recipe to change your mind "

Am open to considering the possibility but will hide the tin opener in case of temptation..

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"My moral compass has done a complete and utter turnaround.

I'm not giving details but I'm extremely proud of where my compass points nowadays.

Mrs"

Hey, you know that's cool. For me it is more about if people have managed to remain open minded and flexible than about what they have changed their compass on.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

That's plain wrong.. I will send you a recipe to change your mind

Am open to considering the possibility but will hide the tin opener in case of temptation.. "

Seriously... I will, not tonight but in the next few days. Then you can report back once you cooked it.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"My moral compass has done a complete and utter turnaround.

Mrs

Hey, you know that's cool. For me it is more about if people have managed to remain open minded and flexible than about what they have changed their compass on. "

over a year ago

in Lancashire

That's plain wrong.. I will send you a recipe to change your mind

Am open to considering the possibility but will hide the tin opener in case of temptation.. Seriously... I will, not tonight but in the next few days. Then you can report back once you cooked it. "

By *issAphroditeWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

It's a sign of maturity that you can re-evaluate situations and your feelings about them, rather than rigidly and stubbornly nailing your colours to the mast and sticking with it.

Experience gives us a greater insight into things and therefore perhaps a different perspective to that in our youth. That being said, older doesn't necessarily mean wiser and I wish more Boomers would stop with their persecution of the young when they've very little understanding of the realities for that generation

By *rad670Man
over a year ago

South Lakes

As I've grown older and had many experiences good and bad, some near death for me and close family my moral compass has changed in a big way. I no longer judge people instantly because you never know what they are going through that is making them a person you dislike, I try to put myself in their shoes if possible and love to look at another point of view often playing devils advocate in debates.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It's a sign of maturity that you can re-evaluate situations and your feelings about them, rather than rigidly and stubbornly nailing your colours to the mast and sticking with it.

Experience gives us a greater insight into things and therefore perhaps a different perspective to that in our youth. That being said, older doesn't necessarily mean wiser and I wish more Boomers would stop with their persecution of the young when they've very little understanding of the realities for that generation "

I am so glad you said that. I feel my kids have a tough time but when I mention this to people my age or older they give me a whole host of reasons why our youngsters "have it made". They may have some privileges we did not have but they sure as hell have tough times in other ways, social media to name but one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My moral compass ten years back, when I was in my early twenties was much different than what it is now.

I used to have certain views on certain subjects and assumed that everyone else who has different views is a bad person. I patronised and went in fight with them. Now I am more open to people having different views. The only types of people I hate are people who behave like how I behaved ten years back

If you are interested in this topic, you must read "The righteous mind" by Jonathan Haidt. Though I don't agree with him on all topics, it is a very good read if you want to understand how different people build their own morality.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"As I've grown older and had many experiences good and bad, some near death for me and close family my moral compass has changed in a big way. I no longer judge people instantly because you never know what they are going through that is making them a person you dislike, I try to put myself in their shoes if possible and love to look at another point of view often playing devils advocate in debates."

Sounds like you have experienced some stuff that really made you review your thoughts on things.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"My moral compass ten years back, when I was in my early twenties was much different than what it is now.

I used to have certain views on certain subjects and assumed that everyone else who has different views is a bad person. I patronised and went in fight with them. Now I am more open to people having different views. The only types of people I hate are people who behave like how I behaved ten years back

If you are interested in this topic, you must read "The righteous mind" by Jonathan Haidt. Though I don't agree with him on all topics, it is a very good read if you want to understand how different people build their own morality."

Just looked at this book on Amazon and I will order it. Thank you for sharing.

By *rad670Man
over a year ago

South Lakes

"As I've grown older and had many experiences good and bad, some near death for me and close family my moral compass has changed in a big way. I no longer judge people instantly because you never know what they are going through that is making them a person you dislike, I try to put myself in their shoes if possible and love to look at another point of view often playing devils advocate in debates.

Sounds like you have experienced some stuff that really made you review your thoughts on things. "

Stuff you would not believe as have many others but some don't change after them experiences.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Evening OP

Moral Compass…. Now there’s a controversial subject in the making. I think some people here don’t even have a compass let alone one with morals!

I don’t think mine has changed direction that much but I’m certainly more self aware of it

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"As I've grown older and had many experiences good and bad, some near death for me and close family my moral compass has changed in a big way. I no longer judge people instantly because you never know what they are going through that is making them a person you dislike, I try to put myself in their shoes if possible and love to look at another point of view often playing devils advocate in debates.

Sounds like you have experienced some stuff that really made you review your thoughts on things.

Stuff you would not believe as have many others but some don't change after them experiences."

You know I kind of look at events in a way that they have the potential to make us change course, for better for worse or just different. Every loss is also a new door that opens, every set back can be seen as an opportunity to change. Or we can ignore them. We have choices after all.

By *issAphroditeWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

"It's a sign of maturity that you can re-evaluate situations and your feelings about them, rather than rigidly and stubbornly nailing your colours to the mast and sticking with it.

Experience gives us a greater insight into things and therefore perhaps a different perspective to that in our youth. That being said, older doesn't necessarily mean wiser and I wish more Boomers would stop with their persecution of the young when they've very little understanding of the realities for that generation

I am so glad you said that. I feel my kids have a tough time but when I mention this to people my age or older they give me a whole host of reasons why our youngsters "have it made". They may have some privileges we did not have but they sure as hell have tough times in other ways, social media to name but one. "

Aye. Always some Boomer in a radio call in, conplaing that the young are lazy with their classic "I worked hard and never claimed benefits" - yes love, you probably lived in a council house or bought a property for cheaps, one wage was enough to sustain a family, probably had family nearby for free childcare and "Family Allowance" as it was then was universal. I like the young today who spend a disproprtinate amount of their poverty wages on rent so can't save for a deposit on an extortionate house that's miles away from where they grew.up.so have no free childcare

If they're claiming benefits it's likely they're in-work benefits so really it's state sponsored corporate welfare, not benefit scroungers.

Massive bugbear of mine and I wish people would take a step back and see things for how they are, rather than judging people based on their own entirely different circumstances.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Evening OP

Moral Compass…. Now there’s a controversial subject in the making. I think some people here don’t even have a compass let alone one with morals!

I don’t think mine has changed direction that much but I’m certainly more self aware of it"

Hi Diamond, you see maybe it is arrogant of me to assume that compass. I don't know. Maybe people are happier not to think about life a compass of values and who am I to change that?

Now then, are you more Diamond or Graphite in your compass ?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I am so glad you said that. I feel my kids have a tough time but when I mention this to people my age or older they give me a whole host of reasons why our youngsters "have it made". They may have some privileges we did not have but they sure as hell have tough times in other ways, social media to name but one.

Aye. Always some Boomer in a radio call in, conplaing that the young are lazy with their classic "I worked hard and never claimed benefits" - yes love, you probably lived in a council house or bought a property for cheaps, one wage was enough to sustain a family, probably had family nearby for free childcare and "Family Allowance" as it was then was universal. I like the young today who spend a disproprtinate amount of their poverty wages on rent so can't save for a deposit on an extortionate house that's miles away from where they grew.up.so have no free childcare

If they're claiming benefits it's likely they're in-work benefits so really it's state sponsored corporate welfare, not benefit scroungers.

Massive bugbear of mine and I wish people would take a step back and see things for how they are, rather than judging people based on their own entirely different circumstances."

Could not have put it better myself.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Evening OP

I don’t think mine has changed direction that much but I’m certainly more self aware of it

Hi Diamond, you see maybe it is arrogant of me to assume that compass. I don't know. Maybe people are happier not to think about life a compass of values and who am I to change that?

Now then, are you more Diamond or Graphite in your compass ?

"

I’m probably a little of both

over a year ago

Massive bugbear of mine and I wish people would take a step back and see things for how they are, rather than judging people based on their own entirely different circumstances."

over a year ago

I have my problems with the boomers. But it is a fact that they struggled a lot in their lives than the current generation.

over a year ago

I don't think my ideas of right or wrong have changed much, I'm just as self righteous as when I was younger

But when it comes to politics, tastes, lifestyles, etc I'm much more open minded or patient than I was. I look, listen and learn a lot more now before making a moral judgement on anyone.

over a year ago

Mine has moved a little. I have no issues cutting all ties and walking away from people, like I did when I was younger and since i had children, I'd now have no problem hiding a body.

over a year ago

In my formative years my moral compass was kind of dictated to me by my Catholic upbringing. Thankfully it was readjusted by compassion, liberalism and rationality.

over a year ago

My ass is a lot less clenched..

I realise friends may be into cuck/swinging from things I've reflected on over the years

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't think my moral compass has shifted much. I am very much more tolerant of certain things and say less tolerant of others but basically my values remain pretty much the same.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Massive bugbear of mine and I wish people would take a step back and see things for how they are, rather than judging people based on their own entirely different circumstances.

I have my problems with the boomers. But it is a fact that they struggled a lot in their lives than the current generation. "

Are boomers my generation? We do get a really bad press

over a year ago

My needle is missing

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There's massive irony in your last paragraph.

over a year ago

"Mine has moved a little. I have no issues cutting all ties and walking away from people, like I did when I was younger and since i had children, I'd now have no problem hiding a body. "

That made me chuckle

You going for under the patio or something more imaginative?

over a year ago

Don't think my moral compass has changed, don't lie, don't cheat etc etc

But now would happily have a ethical non monogamous, probably didn't understand it fully when younger.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

My moral compass and values are pretty strict and definitely cental to my existence.

Over the years, through my own mistakes, misplaced trust, internal battles and discovering that sometimes how I have acted or behaved was a result of upbringing, influences, confusion, not grasping consequences due to limited thought of the big picture, lack of life experience or sometimes plain bad judgement, I've learned everyone has a story and they haven't lived my life therefore have to learn things I may already know by making similar mistakes etc, or I can see trauma reactions in their actions but they've not addressed things within themselves yet. Maybe through fear or just not realising they're following a pattern etc.

So yeah, I try to unravel before I decide they're an inconsiderate spawn of Satan. I do however try to point out consequences, viewpoints, perspectives and my own experiences when talking about things that expose our differences in values, and how things impacted me or others in the hope it might bring them to take a breath and think.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I have my problems with the boomers. But it is a fact that they struggled a lot in their lives than the current generation.

Are boomers my generation? We do get a really bad press"

I agree we do and I have had this conversation with my kids who feel we have it much easier; houses = affordable at the time we needed one, pension prospects = great, general welfare = great, job security = granted etc etc... and by contrast they have to live with uncertainty and an ever changing political and social landscape, pressure of social media etc..

I get why they are thinking like that and I tell them that each generation does have its own threats and opportunities - it is up to us what we make of them.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I agree we do and I have had this conversation with my kids who feel we have it much easier; houses = affordable at the time we needed one, pension prospects = great, general welfare = great, job security = granted etc etc... and by contrast they have to live with uncertainty and an ever changing political and social landscape, pressure of social media etc..

I get why they are thinking like that and I tell them that each generation does have its own threats and opportunities - it is up to us what we make of them. "

I agree that each generation has its difficulties. However I see almost daily a subtle assumption that people of my age had life easier than young people now and that because of this we should either feel guilty of pay in some way. Possibly certain aspects of our lives were easier but nobody mentions the 16% mortgage interest rate, the time we celebrated securing a rate fixed at 10% for 5 years, considering 21 days holiday a year a bonus, needing a doctor's certificate for more than two days sick. I'm not sure where this one wage to support a family comes from or the assumption that everyone had a council house in close proximity to relatives eager to care for their children. Life is usually hard for young people trying to get established, the difficulties may be different but they were difficulties none the less

over a year ago

I get why they are thinking like that and I tell them that each generation does have its own threats and opportunities - it is up to us what we make of them.

I agree that each generation has its difficulties. However I see almost daily a subtle assumption that people of my age had life easier than young people now and that because of this we should either feel guilty of pay in some way. Possibly certain aspects of our lives were easier but nobody mentions the 16% mortgage interest rate, the time we celebrated securing a rate fixed at 10% for 5 years, considering 21 days holiday a year a bonus, needing a doctor's certificate for more than two days sick. I'm not sure where this one wage to support a family comes from or the assumption that everyone had a council house in close proximity to relatives eager to care for their children. Life is usually hard for young people trying to get established, the difficulties may be different but they were difficulties none the less"

Yeah. Many people have this habit of glorifying the past. All the statistics say otherwise. Poverty was clearly much higher during your times. Lifespan and child mortality were worse. What's the point of council housing if people have to pay close to 90% tax?

Given a choice, I would close my eyes and prefer to be born in this year over any year in the past. My only problem with boomers is that there are many boomers who keep complaining about young people's behaviour. When a society becomes more prosperous, people tend to be more individualistic and free spirited. Not all, but many seem to miss that out.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I agree that each generation has its difficulties. However I see almost daily a subtle assumption that people of my age had life easier than young people now and that because of this we should either feel guilty of pay in some way. Possibly certain aspects of our lives were easier but nobody mentions the 16% mortgage interest rate, the time we celebrated securing a rate fixed at 10% for 5 years, considering 21 days holiday a year a bonus, needing a doctor's certificate for more than two days sick. I'm not sure where this one wage to support a family comes from or the assumption that everyone had a council house in close proximity to relatives eager to care for their children. Life is usually hard for young people trying to get established, the difficulties may be different but they were difficulties none the less"

Oh you just reminded me of the 16% mortgage rates and people around us losing homes - we were fortunate that we were both in work and could (just) afford to keep the home. And yes, I had actually forgotten the sicknotes, the 3 week holidays and the "normality" of women being paid less than their male counterparts, the difficulties I had with getting maternity leave... come to think of it, I had forgotten quite a few of the challenges.

I do see my kids being fortunate that they can travel and explore the world in a way I never could (apart from the pandemic) - I could not have afforded it, did not have enough holidays either. In terms of education, they get much more support for dyslexia to name just one example.

On balance, you are right - each generation has its own challenges but retrospectively it is easy to forget what those challenges were and just see the benefits of the perceived "golden" age, isn't it?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I agree that each generation has its difficulties. However I see almost daily a subtle assumption that people of my age had life easier than young people now and that because of this we should either feel guilty of pay in some way. Possibly certain aspects of our lives were easier but nobody mentions the 16% mortgage interest rate, the time we celebrated securing a rate fixed at 10% for 5 years, considering 21 days holiday a year a bonus, needing a doctor's certificate for more than two days sick. I'm not sure where this one wage to support a family comes from or the assumption that everyone had a council house in close proximity to relatives eager to care for their children. Life is usually hard for young people trying to get established, the difficulties may be different but they were difficulties none the less

Yeah. Many people have this habit of glorifying the past. All the statistics say otherwise. Poverty was clearly much higher during your times. Lifespan and child mortality were worse. What's the point of council housing if people have to pay close to 90% tax?

Given a choice, I would close my eyes and prefer to be born in this year over any year in the past. My only problem with boomers is that there are many boomers who keep complaining about young people's behaviour. When a society becomes more prosperous, people tend to be more individualistic and free spirited. Not all, but many seem to miss that out."

The older generation have always complained about the younger. There's a quote kicking around by an ancient Greek guy moaning about the youngsters. .

I see an awful lot of anti old people sentiment, the current climate change ad is an example.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Oh you just reminded me of the 16% mortgage rates and people around us losing homes - we were fortunate that we were both in work and could (just) afford to keep the home. And yes, I had actually forgotten the sicknotes, the 3 week holidays and the "normality" of women being paid less than their male counterparts, the difficulties I had with getting maternity leave... come to think of it, I had forgotten quite a few of the challenges.

I do see my kids being fortunate that they can travel and explore the world in a way I never could (apart from the pandemic) - I could not have afforded it, did not have enough holidays either. In terms of education, they get much more support for dyslexia to name just one example.

On balance, you are right - each generation has its own challenges but retrospectively it is easy to forget what those challenges were and just see the benefits of the perceived "golden" age, isn't it?"

Very easy to forget.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

And negative equity! Who can forget waking up one morning to find the house you're paying a £70 k mortgage on is now worth £35k

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"And negative equity! Who can forget waking up one morning to find the house you're paying a £70 k mortgage on is now worth £35k"
I know people who never recovered from this and decades after are in rented accommodation having previously own a nice house.

over a year ago

"Mine has moved a little. I have no issues cutting all ties and walking away from people, like I did when I was younger and since i had children, I'd now have no problem hiding a body.

That made me chuckle

You going for under the patio or something more imaginative?"

The patio is too obvious, I didn't say anyone would find it

over a year ago

As I travel through life I experience new things, good and bad, these can then give me a greater understanding of things, walking in their shoes, if you will. Some will change my overall opinion on something, others will change the way I deal with people in a similar situation. Usually with more patience and empathy.

So in answer, like a real compass it isn't fixed but moves as I do, hopefully guiding me the right way.

By *issAphroditeWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I'm not anti old people, I'm anti older people calling young people lazy when they don't truly understand their circumstances. You can't compare like for like when the situations are not the same.

All generations have their difficulties and you can't really play Top Trumps with them but if we're talking moral compasses, as we were, then that issue is a personal bugbear of mine as I see/hear it a lot on radio call ins/social media comments sections.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"And negative equity! Who can forget waking up one morning to find the house you're paying a £70 k mortgage on is now worth £35kI know people who never recovered from this and decades after are in rented accommodation having previously own a nice house. "

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financially

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"And negative equity! Who can forget waking up one morning to find the house you're paying a £70 k mortgage on is now worth £35kI know people who never recovered from this and decades after are in rented accommodation having previously own a nice house.

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financially"

snap - ours dropped by half over a period of 6 months and we only just cleared the mortgage in 89. Scary times and I had genuinely "forgotten" about those times. Perhaps a healthy attribute to forget past stresses...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"And negative equity! Who can forget waking up one morning to find the house you're paying a £70 k mortgage on is now worth £35kI know people who never recovered from this and decades after are in rented accommodation having previously own a nice house.

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financiallysnap - ours dropped by half over a period of 6 months and we only just cleared the mortgage in 89. Scary times and I had genuinely "forgotten" about those times. Perhaps a healthy attribute to forget past stresses..."

Yes, like childbirth

over a year ago

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financiallysnap - ours dropped by half over a period of 6 months and we only just cleared the mortgage in 89. Scary times and I had genuinely "forgotten" about those times. Perhaps a healthy attribute to forget past stresses..."

I remember reading somewhere that it is indeed an attribute that we developed to forget past stresses for evolutionary reasons.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financiallysnap - ours dropped by half over a period of 6 months and we only just cleared the mortgage in 89. Scary times and I had genuinely "forgotten" about those times. Perhaps a healthy attribute to forget past stresses...

I remember reading somewhere that it is indeed an attribute that we developed to forget past stresses for evolutionary reasons. "

Never thought about that but yes, I can see why this would be a reason....

Why does it not stop us from hangovers though? Shouldn't evolution stop it?

over a year ago

It was absolutely heart breaking for some. We were selling our house at the time, it went from £80k to £65k literally overnight. We were lucky because that was still more than we paid and the house we wanted to buy had gone down proportionately but it ruined some financiallysnap - ours dropped by half over a period of 6 months and we only just cleared the mortgage in 89. Scary times and I had genuinely "forgotten" about those times. Perhaps a healthy attribute to forget past stresses...

I remember reading somewhere that it is indeed an attribute that we developed to forget past stresses for evolutionary reasons.

Never thought about that but yes, I can see why this would be a reason....

Why does it not stop us from hangovers though? Shouldn't evolution stop it? "

Good question

Time to wake up Charles Darwin

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've been thinking about my moral compass. Basically it boils down to one word 'integrity'.

By *ear in the chairMan
over a year ago

Godstone

Anyone want to borrow a magnet?

Post new Message to Thread