Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bus and lorry licence

Jump to newest

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

It's nearly time to renew my car licence, time to update the photo.

Is it worth keeping my 7.5 tonne entitlement? Or should just let it go and go back to 3.5 tonne instead. It's the hassle of getting a medical and another eyetest, just because I'm over 45.

What's the cost of that medical?

I'm not driving for a living any more, the wages didn't justify it.

Any advice?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aptain PeteMan
over a year ago

stamford

Medics on wheels is cheapest I've found. If your no longer driving rigid vehicles though I wouldn't bother. Waste of money with no reward.

By *aisiahMan
over a year ago

crosshands

"It's nearly time to renew my car licence, time to update the photo.

Is it worth keeping my 7.5 tonne entitlement? Or should just let it go and go back to 3.5 tonne instead. It's the hassle of getting a medical and another eyetest, just because I'm over 45.

Any advice?"

If you are not driving for a living not point

The medical cost £65 in Wales

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I had a HGV license for 30 years but never used in a work capacity, last time it came round for my medical I didn't bother I am never going to use it for employment.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Any advice?"

Will you want to do any driving with that entitlement in the next ten years?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When did you pass your test or have you been banned I've never had a medical to drive a 7.5

By *xplorasCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

For the sake of £65 just do the Medical you never know what life holds for you. I drive a 5tonne camper so need the lisence

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"When did you pass your test or have you been banned I've never had a medical to drive a 7.5"

If you have an LGV licence you have to have a medical every 5 years from thw age of 45 onwards.

over a year ago

I would take the medical , hgv driver wages have doubled in The last 3 month due to driver shortages after brexit in some of the bigger companies and the smaller ones will have to follow suit .

Its also something you can always fall back on and in these uncertain times it’s a good thing to have .

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

I passed in 1996, passed the test on the 2nd go.

I did get as far as sitting my class 2 test 4 times, but struggled with the Volvo's horrible gear box (left shoulder was hurting at the time).

My driving career was split between transits and 7.5 tonners. I even drove the Argos wagons that look like class 2s.

My current job is non-driving, the wages are low round here for drivers (blame the agencies: long story), plus it pushed my domestic car insurance up to (not very nice).

The reason for the medical and renewal is due to my photo card is up for expiry/renewal shortly and being 50, I am now in the age group for getting compulsory medicals every 5 years.

(Do they think we're made of money?)

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

I am due for cataract surgery in the coming months.

over a year ago

"I passed in 1996, passed the test on the 2nd go.

I did get as far as sitting my class 2 test 4 times, but struggled with the Volvo's horrible gear box (left shoulder was hurting at the time).

My driving career was split between transits and 7.5 tonners. I even drove the Argos wagons that look like class 2s.

My current job is non-driving, the wages are low round here for drivers (blame the agencies: long story), plus it pushed my domestic car insurance up to (not very nice).

The reason for the medical and renewal is due to my photo card is up for expiry/renewal shortly and being 50, I am now in the age group for getting compulsory medicals every 5 years.

(Do they think we're made of money?)"

Drivers wages are on the increase in all locations.

Due to driver shortage.

Being a professional driver wouldn’t increase your car insurance. Unless you were a courier using your car for business

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I passed in 1996, passed the test on the 2nd go.

(Do they think we're made of money?)

Drivers wages are on the increase in all locations.

Due to driver shortage.

Being a professional driver wouldn’t increase your car insurance. Unless you were a courier using your car for business "

You say that, but every time I've had to make a claim at work, such as being hit by a customer's car, when I'm in the warehouse, this gets shared with the insurer's database. So there is no separation in their eyes. So It has been logged and it does affect my premiums. Just telling them I drive for a living (can't lie about this when I was a van/lorry driver), pushed me into a higher risk and that's what bumped up my premiums at home.

By *uvhandle20Man
over a year ago

SE London

Go ahead if you think you can pass your medical and your eye test, you will never know if you will need it.

I am driving for 30 years, although I am entitled, I did not drive trucks as a professional driver.

But I had a lot of fun helping friends moving houses and drive a rental trucks

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

Unless certain of future employment I,d keep it but you'd also need a DQC card (drivers CPC) which is a faff and pretty expensive if paying yourself as 35hrs classroom training every 5yrs but no test just being lectured.

Given the driver shortage getting a class 2 would be worthwhile but only if in need of work of course.

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Unless certain of future employment I,d keep it but you'd also need a DQC card (drivers CPC) which is a faff and pretty expensive if paying yourself as 35hrs classroom training every 5yrs but no test just being lectured.

Given the driver shortage getting a class 2 would be worthwhile but only if in need of work of course."

What's the cost?

over a year ago

southampton

Drivers CPC should be around £75 a day if you shop around. Class 2 training likely around £2k but likely there will be a package at a hgv driving school including CPC training etc.

Class 2 driver would earn £30k plus easily down here.

Some companies will take you as a 7.5t but have a tie in a pay for your class 2. Not uncommon.

over a year ago

southampton

[Removed by poster at 24/08/21 23:24:50]

over a year ago

"Unless certain of future employment I,d keep it but you'd also need a DQC card (drivers CPC) which is a faff and pretty expensive if paying yourself as 35hrs classroom training every 5yrs but no test just being lectured.

Given the driver shortage getting a class 2 would be worthwhile but only if in need of work of course.

What's the cost?

"

The way to do the cpc course is online , it’s 30-40 quid . Sit at home put the tv on with subtitles and before you know it the course is done .

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/21 23:42:07]

over a year ago

£30-40 per day I should have said

over a year ago

"When did you pass your test or have you been banned I've never had a medical to drive a 7.5

If you have an LGV licence you have to have a medical every 5 years from thw age of 45 onwards."

correct but he's talking 7.5 if you passed before 96 you drive on your car license under grandad rights unless you get banned then must have class 2 I've let mine go so just drive 7.5 now on car license no medical work pays for cpc

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

I passed my car test in the summer of 1996

over a year ago

Then you can drive it on your car license if passed in 1996 but as from 1st Jan 97 you need min class 2

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I question this. I have class 1 License but only used it once since leaving the Forces and that was to move out of my quater. I love the idea of having it on my license but it needs renewal more often and as you point out as you get older others loops such as medicals. I'm never going to use it commercially, good chance not privately either and should I even drive say an Artic after say 10 years of not just because I can? On the ballance of things I'd let it slide.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Then you can drive it on your car license if passed in 1996 but as from 1st Jan 97 you need min class 2"
nope you can do a 7.5t test as some of the larger transit & sprinter Van's are plated upto 7.5t .

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I question this. I have class 1 License but only used it once since leaving the Forces and that was to move out of my quater. I love the idea of having it on my license but it needs renewal more often and as you point out as you get older others loops such as medicals. I'm never going to use it commercially, good chance not privately either and should I even drive say an Artic after say 10 years of not just because I can? On the balance of things I'd let it slide."

I'm about 90% along those lines. why spend extra money and get nothing extra back?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Any advice?"

I have a class 2 agency phone me and offered me £16 an hour Ltd.

But not going back as my other company is paying much better at the moment.

over a year ago

I gave up my HGV class 1 due to the big expense of medicals, to include eye tests, also the restrictions on hours and new road layouts, which caused delays getting to the delivery point. As already stated by someone, if you no longer drive for a living, what’s the point in keeping up the cost of the license ?

By *quaman87Man
over a year ago

colchester

Give it up if you don't use it! 7.5t now days ain't worth a rub. Tbh hgv driving in general ain't worth the agg. Been a artic driver for years now and I'm giving it up just ain't worth the agg for the money paid.

By *orny PT OP   Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

Peterborough is full of employers who just farm off the HR roles to agencies. This then caused a race to the bottom for lower wages. It's going to take ages before it stops being the lowest waged city in the region.

By *atinocouple80Couple
over a year ago

London

"Medics on wheels is cheapest I've found. If your no longer driving rigid vehicles though I wouldn't bother. Waste of money with no reward. "

Is that the same as "doctors on wheels"? If so the DVLA don't accept any medical from them for irregularities in the past.

By *CR1992Man
over a year ago

Swansea

If you're not gonna use it, don't bother paying for the medical, not to mention the long turnaround times at the moment.

You can always apply to renew that entitlement at any point down the line if you need it again!

By *urious couple22Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Guess it depends like someone said it's nice to have a back up to your belt but if your 100% sure your not interested then no point in continuing wasting money.

Post new Message to Thread