Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Would you take a job with a big paycut

Jump to newest

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I've been offered a job quite a big paycut.

It's quite a complicated situation that I'm in I don't want to go into too much personal stuff.

But it's a secure position with reasonable long term benefits.

If I stay put money stays the same but far more stress and travel.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

Will the job be fulfilling and make you happy? Assuming the money is ‘enough’ to get by on. That’s my criteria.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

Congrats for the offer btw.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

20 years ago I took a massive pay cut to do things I like for a living. In hindsight I see it as the point I started actually, truly, living.

I say go with your gut, you know what's best for you. Life isn't about money.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Depends if ai could afford to live on it. Personally I couldn't afford a paycut. One of my partners though is hoping to get a new job he has applied for where he will take a paycut but he can afford it and he's really stressed and miserable in his current job so it's totally worth it.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"Will the job be fulfilling and make you happy? Assuming the money is ‘enough’ to get by on. That’s my criteria."

I was going to ask pretty much this OP

By *drian HardthrobMan
over a year ago

Worcester

If you're current job is starting to affect your mental health I'd say a pay cut would be well worth it

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

I took quite a big paycut last year. I moved to a different company and it was the best thing for my mental health. It's made finances a bit tighter but not impossible.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I didn't have an option last year. Lost my well paid management role due to covid and had to take a part time job.

That has now become a full-time position but for much less than I was being paid before. The lack of stress and responsibility however more than makes up for the reduced income. No regrets at all.

over a year ago

If the new job will make you happier, and you can still afford all your bills and a reasonable quality of life, then go for it. Worth thinking about long term happiness too of course - having a bit of money when you retire etc.

Congrats on the offer!

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Congratulations on the offer.

For me, our health is the single most important factor in life. Anything to reduce stress and live a balanced life has priority over income (if you can live on the income proposed). Stress (commutes) are silent killers.

By *-explorerMan
over a year ago

warrington

"I've been offered a job quite a big paycut.

It's quite a complicated situation that I'm in I don't want to go into too much personal stuff.

But it's a secure position with reasonable long term benefits.

If I stay put money stays the same but far more stress and travel."

I took a job with a massive paycut recently (12k a year less) but im alot happier now and enjoy my new job that much that it doesnt feel like work.. and i look forward to monday mornings

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

I had to take a massive pay cut last year after that pesky covid business.

It sucked but was not the end of the world. It wasn’t as unmanageable as I thought it would be! I think it always seems worse on paper than the reality. If it’s enough to get by on, and it will save you stress I think it sounds very positive!

over a year ago

If you can still be comfortable on the reduced income, do it for quality of life.

I have no love whatsoever for what I do; it drains me and makes me miserable. But I’m financially stuck (yes, I’ve investigated my options, none are viable) and can’t afford to lose anything.

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Thanks for all the kind words.

It's same career not a change in direction .

Who's to say if stress will be lessened it's a leap of faith.

It's going to go one way or another.

But yes my current job has made me unwell and now is a good time to recharge and hopefully get a better work life balance.

Never been driven by money but current job is best payed ive ever had.

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

Work to live or live to work.

over a year ago

I would echo all above, if you can survive do it. Its amazing how many times your finances can be squeezed and you adapt and you get much more back in terms of life and living.

over a year ago

I did do

I took the decision in late 2017 to make my work life much simpler

My annual income halved overnight

I say overnight, I took 3 months off before going back to work in any capacity and 9 months into what I would regard as a regular job

I now work M-F 9-5 and, other than doing my job, have no responsibility. It's awesome.

I should have done it 5 years earlier

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"20 years ago I took a massive pay cut to do things I like for a living. In hindsight I see it as the point I started actually, truly, living.

I say go with your gut, you know what's best for you. Life isn't about money. "

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

I have recently taken a job with literally half the salary as before and more pressure. But also massively more enjoyable.

This is the 3rd time I've done this in my career and its always ended up making more money in the long run and having more fun in the long run

D

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Sometimes a pay cut can be a positive thing, not a negative …

I bet if you look at your outgoings and made a few changes you would manage it … and be at home and less stressed! …. Sometimes we don’t recognise what is important

over a year ago

I've taken major paycuts just to be happy. I'm doing 50 hours now, but the job is easy. Too easy. I'd drop a bit for so etching more meaningful, just to use my hands

over a year ago

never have loyalty to any employer.

do your job well, thats all.

if a better offer comes along you should take it because they will easily get rid of you in tough times.

most contracts ive exited at a minutes notice and its always been to something better.

Post new Message to Thread