Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Northern Quarter.....

Jump to newest

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

.....in Manchester. Full of hip/trendy, "ethical" businesses, trading on the concept of being independent, environmentally friendly, co-operative etc. And almost universally NOT wheelchair accessible. Not only the businesses, but also the streets - lacking dropped kerbs, broken roads full of potholes etc. We went there today so Mr KC could buy something from an independent brewery for a friend (massive steps to get in) and our son wanted to go into Afflecks Palace to spend some birthday money. It's rare that I feel so very disabled, but this afternoon was very demoralising actually, sat outside in the street and blocking everyone's path on the pavement (that I couldn't get down to move). I used to spend a lot of time in Afflecks as a youth but it would seem there's no longer a lift available, for example.

Perhaps I'm just being over sensitive, but I find it rather distasteful that there are so many businesses who trade on the basis of being ethical etc. and who actively rail against multinational corporations/chain stores or food outlets, yet are completely NOT inclusive in terms of who can actually cross the threshold. I've never had an issue getting into Costa/Starbucks or national/international chain restaurants, but am effectively barred from the majority of businesses in the NQ, as well as on my own local high street.

Nothing will change unless disabled people have advocates and support among the able bodied community, because that's the majority of the population, so I beseech you to join with trying to persuade businesses across the board to be properly accessible and to spend some money on adapting their premises wherever possible.

It IS possible to adapt old/listed buildings. We both work in a very old listed building (converted mill building), and it's wheelchair accessible throughout (having been fully renovated).

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Sorry to hear that OP. I got a tiny taste of what you mean when I had my kid in a buggy. So many places became either a total ball ache to get in and out off or just totally out of bounds.

Getting up and down kerbs was horrendous too.

I also had my mum in a chair on a couple of occasions. At least I could put the baby in a papoose!

In this day and age surely all public buildings should be accessable.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm sorry to read this. Some time ago we were out with a friend with MS we checked with the venue by phone that there was wheelchair access to the toilets...there wasn't. She had to go home early, in tears because she needed the loo. We had all tried to help her which proved humiliating for her (none of us turned a hair but it's not about how we feel). We all put a complaint in to the venue who seemed bemused . I had hoped things had changed but it appears not. I'll be sure to mention it in future

over a year ago

North West

I had a conversation with a café that we went in (elsewhere in Manchester) because their "accessible" toilet didn't have any emergency pull cord at all and also a trendy square sink had been installed that encroached on the space to transfer using the handrails. Also the loo roll was placed on the cistern (behind the loo) where anyone with even minor trunk impairment (such as any spinal cord injury) would be unable to reach. The response of the venue was similarly bemused. This is a café we've been going to for years but has changed hands and has allegedly been "modernised" during the last lockdown. I don't think we'll be going again because the layout is ten times worse, plus issues with the loo etc. as well as a decline in the quality of cakes

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Last time I was in Manchester was pre Covid and I had the same thoughts. To say the it's a hub, it's upkeep is terrible. I actually contacted the Mayoral office or Manchester City Council (one of them), and haven't had reply.

There's always been a grime to it, though you couldn't walk a few steps without a cracked or uneven paving stone or as you say major dips off kerbs or pot holes when crossing roads. Any decent shops seemed few and far between too. It's changed a lot

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

".....in Manchester. Full of hip/trendy, "ethical" businesses, trading on the concept of being independent, environmentally friendly, co-operative etc. And almost universally NOT wheelchair accessible. Not only the businesses, but also the streets - lacking dropped kerbs, broken roads full of potholes etc. We went there today so Mr KC could buy something from an independent brewery for a friend (massive steps to get in) and our son wanted to go into Afflecks Palace to spend some birthday money. It's rare that I feel so very disabled, but this afternoon was very demoralising actually, sat outside in the street and blocking everyone's path on the pavement (that I couldn't get down to move). I used to spend a lot of time in Afflecks as a youth but it would seem there's no longer a lift available, for example.

Perhaps I'm just being over sensitive, but I find it rather distasteful that there are so many businesses who trade on the basis of being ethical etc. and who actively rail against multinational corporations/chain stores or food outlets, yet are completely NOT inclusive in terms of who can actually cross the threshold. I've never had an issue getting into Costa/Starbucks or national/international chain restaurants, but am effectively barred from the majority of businesses in the NQ, as well as on my own local high street.

Nothing will change unless disabled people have advocates and support among the able bodied community, because that's the majority of the population, so I beseech you to join with trying to persuade businesses across the board to be properly accessible and to spend some money on adapting their premises wherever possible.

It IS possible to adapt old/listed buildings. We both work in a very old listed building (converted mill building), and it's wheelchair accessible throughout (having been fully renovated). "

Do you have any local groups who would take it to the media? Make some noise about it. If they are so 'ethically this and that', they should make an effort to be inclusive.

over a year ago

North West

" Do you have any local groups who would take it to the media? Make some noise about it. If they are so 'ethically this and that', they should make an effort to be inclusive. "

I don't know. I shall try and find out because I can't be the only person who thinks it's ridiculous that one of the main food and drink/shopping areas of Manchester city centre is an accessibility nightmare.....

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

Aw, KC! This really boils my piss!!

It's bad enough that places aren't fully accessible, but act bemused or shrug when things are pointed out to them is callous.

Having met you & knowing how well you have adapted to using a chair - I often forget you need one - and how vibrant you are and how you grasp life with both hands, to think of you sat in the street, feeling "disabled" breaks my heart.

A letter to Manchester council will be forthcoming. I wish I could do more

over a year ago

Unfortunately, it is normally down to the landlord to make suitable arrangements for accessibility. Businesses merely have to make their service accessible but don't have to go as far as making it convenient or at least dignified.

So sorry you have had to put up with this

over a year ago

North West

Thank you Red for your supportive comments and actions above!

And to Mr Long and Tall - thanks for your comments too. The majority of businesses are completely inaccessible to someone in a wheelchair. Most businesses have steps from the street to get inside. In addition, the bits the council ARE responsible for (like the pavements and streets) are in such poor repair so as to be inaccessible or dangerous. I spent a lot of time pushing in the road with oncoming motor vehicles to dodge.

The NQ is probably one of the most popular and famous areas of Manchester - surely the Council should be supporting all these ethical businesses to be inclusive?!

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

"Thank you Red for your supportive comments and actions above!

And to Mr Long and Tall - thanks for your comments too. The majority of businesses are completely inaccessible to someone in a wheelchair. Most businesses have steps from the street to get inside. In addition, the bits the council ARE responsible for (like the pavements and streets) are in such poor repair so as to be inaccessible or dangerous. I spent a lot of time pushing in the road with oncoming motor vehicles to dodge.

The NQ is probably one of the most popular and famous areas of Manchester - surely the Council should be supporting all these ethical businesses to be inclusive?! "

You're welcome KC. I'm genuinely upset to hear of this.

I'm sure the Council have SOME sway over accessibility. I shall investigate for you. Xx

over a year ago

"Thank you Red for your supportive comments and actions above!

The NQ is probably one of the most popular and famous areas of Manchester - surely the Council should be supporting all these ethical businesses to be inclusive?! "

The council absolutely are in a position to do something and should. I am aware of the prominence and popularity of the Northern Quarter so you would have thought they would at least sort out pavements.

Post new Message to Thread