Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Population and climate change

Jump to newest

By *nabelle21 OP   Woman
over a year ago

B38

Been chatting to my dad and the size of families came up. He himself coming from a large family with 11 kids, which was not unusual in his day.

We also got onto talking about the sad state of environment.

I was curious as to your thoughts.

Should we be having fewer children for the sake of the planet?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I love my children very much, but I do regret my choice to get married and have children. It's not just because the marriage ended disastrously, it's that I think the world needs fewer people in it, not more. Luke

By *nabelle21 OP   Woman
over a year ago

B38

"I love my children very much, but I do regret my choice to get married and have children. It's not just because the marriage ended disastrously, it's that I think the world needs fewer people in it, not more. Luke "

Would you have chosen to have less children or non at all?

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I think we should be having less children. The environment is in terrible shape already.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Been chatting to my dad and the size of families came up. He himself coming from a large family with 11 kids, which was not unusual in his day.

"

No.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Pointless

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Pointless"

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humans

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humans"

Where should they start with population reduction?

over a year ago

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humans"

you wil never stop it.

human beings like to kill

By *topthepressMan
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

"Pointless

why do people listen to David Attenborough when he was making his animal programs and traveling around the world with his film crew was he bothered about the climate change he was a bigger carbon footprint then most people will ever have

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Been chatting to my dad and the size of families came up. He himself coming from a large family with 11 kids, which was not unusual in his day.

"

Personal circumstances meant no kids for me (my ex wife had two and was sterilised before we met) but the problems with over population have definitely influenced my views on not wanting children of my own.

Mr

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humans

Where should they start with population reduction?"

Contraceptive and education

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humanswhy do people listen to David Attenborough when he was making his animal programs and traveling around the world with his film crew was he bothered about the climate change he was a bigger carbon footprint then most people will ever have"

I don't think carbon footprint was a thing back in the day, people was not aware of carbon footprint

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Pointless

Contraceptive and education "

Education?

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

"Pointless

Where should they start with population reduction?"

I agree with Bill Burr's sentiments. We need an aptitude test to cut the wheat from the chaff.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/08/21 18:16:16]

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm doing my bit.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Pointless

Education?"

Well at least is what is happening at the moment

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Pointless

Education?"

Educated women have, on average, fewer children. Fewer children should (if all countries produce fewer) mean lower population and thus less environmental impact.

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"Pointless

Contraceptive and education "

Indeed. Education and contraception as part of an overall increase in health care provision will help create the more stable and benign circumstances necessary to reduce birth rate. Anyone who has spent any time working in extension in developing countries knows that reduced child mortality results in lower birth rate and population stabilization... and education, women's in particular, is central to this.

over a year ago

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humanswhy do people listen to David Attenborough when he was making his animal programs and traveling around the world with his film crew was he bothered about the climate change he was a bigger carbon footprint then most people will ever have"

I think you need to take into consideration the cost/benefit analysis.

The cost: as you've said, the carbon footprint of his programmes.

The benefit: Information resulting in awareness and record keeping for the sake of the Planet and Mankind.

By *moothshaftMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"

Definitely Anabelle. The planet cannot sustain it for much longer.

But the biggest problem with climate change is so simple to cure.

Stop the destruction of greenery, and plant a billion trees.

Greenery takes in carbon dioxide and in exchange gives out oxygen.

It's a no brainer. X

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Pointless

Is already happening and few scientists they claim is the only way Earth be preserved, also David Attenborough have made the alert already , is the only way we can stop the crisis of animals extinction and protect the natural eco system that have been destroyed by us humanswhy do people listen to David Attenborough when he was making his animal programs and traveling around the world with his film crew was he bothered about the climate change he was a bigger carbon footprint then most people will ever have

I think you need to take into consideration the cost/benefit analysis.

The cost: as you've said, the carbon footprint of his programmes.

The benefit: Information resulting in awareness and record keeping for the sake of the Planet and Mankind."

I think we are in times of alert and danger when comes to climate changes , as the ice is melting we fast get concerned about the ocean rising and how dangerous is for most of the population as most people in this planet lives relatively near of the sea , but there's other dangers as the rotation of Earth and the cause of more warming

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

It's a no brainer. X "

Second Swiss institute

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I don’t think that matters at the moment

Rich people and big companies afe responsible for 80% of the damage done.

Telling a couple on 35k a year they can only have 1 child won’t do shit.

We need to hold the biggest polluters liable. We need to invest in better energy tech and start looking towards nuclear power as a main source

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

It's a no brainer. X

Second Swiss institute "

Second Swiss institute integrative biology they said 1 trillion of trees would be the ideal to start reverse help the climate change , but only tree's is not enough!

over a year ago

I definitely would not want to bring up a child in today’s world & I definitely wouldn’t want to come back in it

over a year ago

It’s the big Corps and governments that case the most like ev cars

What a scam that is

To meny second hand cars in the market big car companies loses money because no ones buying new cars

fuck it let’s pay the government money to force everyone to need to by new cars

Don’t believe me do some research in to coblut and nickle mineing

Witch is the main thing used to power the batters in those ment to be green cars not so green when you look at what it takes to make them

By *nabelle21 OP   Woman
over a year ago

B38

I never gave such issues a thought back in the day, and I had 3 kids.

Now though, I definitely would have paused to consider it.

Thanks for your thoughts x

over a year ago

Swansea

"I don’t think that matters at the moment

We need to hold the biggest polluters liable. We need to invest in better energy tech and start looking towards nuclear power as a main source "

I think you are missing an important factor here. Those big companies only produce pollution/CO2 because there is a market for their products. Reduce the population and this reduces demand so these big polluters reduce output. There is a great deal technology can do to reduce the carbon footprint of products we buy but that will only ever achieve a small reduction. Not making the stuff in the first place had by far the largest impact. Fewer peyote means less land needed for food production, less food shipped all over the globe, less school runs, less new clothes every 10 minutes coz the little buggers wreck out grow out of everything within an hour of getting it etc etc.

I agree, most Western countries don't have anything like the population growth of poorer nations but this is offset by the fact that a child born in the UK will have a significantly higher carbon footprint than one born in say Bangladesh.

Big polluters won't change unless they're made to. This change can be forced by legislation or market pressure. Blaming the companies is a cop out, they only produce what we as consumers demand. If everyone outside of China for example stopped buying cheap Chinese products and paid the cost of those manufactured in a country with decent welfare and environmental standards then the massive amount of pollution coming from China would be slashed

Mr

over a year ago

Swansea

"I don’t think that matters at the moment

We need to hold the biggest polluters liable. We need to invest in better energy tech and start looking towards nuclear power as a main source "

To add to that, a couple on 35k a year are rich, they're on the top 5% of earners and spenders in the world.

Mr

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm doing my bit. No kids, don't drive, haven't been on a plane in years.

I can do more and I try to.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I'm doing my bit. No kids, don't drive, haven't been on a plane in years.

I can do more and I try to."

Interesting, how do you get about? Do your shopping etc?

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

I think we are having less kids generally per family - certainly in developed countries - think as the kids baby booms grow up and have kids so we don't have as many kids but there are more having them because the adult population has grown - obviously people are living longer - unfortunately the rate of growth is unsustainable so what is the answer? Stop adults having kids and only grow them in a baby farm where numbers can be managed? Sex just for pleasure not procreation?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Interesting, how do you get about? Do your shopping etc?"

I walk and use public transport

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I walk and use public transport"

What more could you do?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I walk and use public transport

What more could you do?"

Less heating, more sustainable purchase choices, more activism. There's always more - it's a balancing act, as with all things in life.

Post new Message to Thread