FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Lets see who can come up with the most boring subject that gets people talking thread- spelt right

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well you gotta laugh

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

OMG have you seen the price of fish these days

over a year ago

Yes@Jaqi apprantly they are on the up and up

Like candy floss

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

Oh dnt get me started on candy floss lol

over a year ago

its very much like the colour they have used to apint mrs higginbottoms doors on 43 Rusty Canal street i think

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

just putting it out there im a rebel and my toilet roll falls BACK not forward..

By *acciWoman
over a year ago

leeds

"just putting it out there im a rebel and my toilet roll falls BACK not forward.. "

OMG you are a rebel lol

over a year ago

"just putting it out there im a rebel and my toilet roll falls BACK not forward..

OMG you are a rebel lol"

live my life to the edge me! rock & roll lol

over a year ago

oh and you know what else i enjoy.. using the hair dryer just to blow warm air over myself on slightly chilly days.. its just LUSH after a shower.

(random i know.. but its a boring fact)

over a year ago

The molecular structure of candy floss is the same as regular sucrose, which is C12H22O11, This takes the form of glucose, which is a six-membered ring composed of five carbon atoms and one oxygen atom, bonded via an ester link (an oxygen atom) to a fructose, which is a five-membered ring composed of four carbon atoms and one oxygen atom. It's way easier to visualise if you look at a diagram, google "sucrose molecular structure" to find one.

over a year ago

"The molecular structure of candy floss is the same as regular sucrose, which is C12H22O11, This takes the form of glucose, which is a six-membered ring composed of five carbon atoms and one oxygen atom, bonded via an ester link (an oxygen atom) to a fructose, which is a five-membered ring composed of four carbon atoms and one oxygen atom. It's way easier to visualise if you look at a diagram, google "sucrose molecular structure" to find one.

"

Soxy youve just made me moist with that.. i lurve a bit of geeky scientific knowledge mmmmmmmmmmm

over a year ago

Sorry Soxy but your wrong .

sucrose molecular structure multiplied by quatum thery / Stephen Hawkings theroy of space and time minus a load of bull shit is correct answer

Honest it is trust me

over a year ago

"Sorry Soxy but your wrong .

sucrose molecular structure multiplied by quatum thery / Stephen Hawkings theroy of space and time minus a load of bull shit is correct answer

Honest it is trust me "

Pah.... don't trust anything that prankster Hawkings says...

anyway,,,, I forgot to mention the stick used to wrap the candy floss around is usually made of wood!!!

Wood comes from trees !!!

over a year ago

oi - dont me started on the whole "green" issues here

now where is that bogey gone ???

over a year ago

" oi - dont me started on the whole "green" issues here

now where is that bogey gone ??? "

OK smarty pants …….!.

Name a shade of green mentioned often in “The Wizard of Oz”.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Sorry Soxy but your wrong .

Sucrose molecular structure multiplied by quatum thery / Stephen Hawkings theroy of space and time minus a load of bull shit is correct answer

Honest it is trust me

Pah.... don't trust anything that prankster Hawkings says...

anyway,,,, I forgot to mention the stick used to wrap the candy floss around is usually made of wood!!!

Wood comes from trees !!!

"

Tee hee hee you said wood!!!

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

If they made tooth floss taste lime candy floss I'd do it more often..

By *ayseanMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

No,no,no,we should all be discussing the benefits of protein to a healthy active person's diet,thats the most interesting subject in the world by far!!

over a year ago

What colour socks are you wearing?

over a year ago

I put new insoles in m shoes today

over a year ago

"What colour socks are you wearing?"

Neon pink, orange and yellow stripes....

Its a bit like having my feet in a party !!!

over a year ago

I have a pair of cycling socks on. They have reinforced sections on the heels, ankles and sides of the toes. Plus they also have L and R embroidered on them for some reason. Probably because they'rd from Lidl and they know their customers.

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"just putting it out there im a rebel and my toilet roll falls BACK not forward.. "

No no no no no no nooooooo..... Thats so wrong

By *uggers nemesisCouple
over a year ago

london

"Well you gotta laugh "

you have probably won already

over a year ago

Statistically, out of every 100 people who read this thread, 77 will get as far as 3 posts in before going to read something more interesting. 7 will reply in an attempt to outbore everyone else in the thread. 10 will use the thread to scan the profile pictures in order to find new people to contact. 5 will be stalking one particular poster in the thread, and 1 will reply to this with a completely different set of figures in an attempt to prove me wrong.

Of the 7% who reply, 20% are only replying in order to carry on a long running feud over the correct orientation of toilet roll, 50% are bored at work, 20% are flirting with someone else who posted in the thread, and the remaining 10% are using an argument about toilet roll to flirt with someone else while bored at work.

The average length of each post in the thread is 46 characters, and the most common punctuation character used is the full stop.

over a year ago

Sorry scottslad, I fell asleep reading your thread, can you repeat it please?

over a year ago

"Statistically, out of every 100 people who read this thread, 77 will get as far as 3 posts in before going to read something more interesting. 7 will reply in an attempt to outbore everyone else in the thread. 10 will use the thread to scan the profile pictures in order to find new people to contact. 5 will be stalking one particular poster in the thread, and 1 will reply to this with a completely different set of figures in an attempt to prove me wrong.

Of the 7% who reply, 20% are only replying in order to carry on a long running feud over the correct orientation of toilet roll, 50% are bored at work, 20% are flirting with someone else who posted in the thread, and the remaining 10% are using an argument about toilet roll to flirt with someone else while bored at work.

The average length of each post in the thread is 46 characters, and the most common punctuation character used is the full stop."

right pmsl@that this -- someone got to much time on his hands lol

over a year ago

"Sorry scottslad, I fell asleep reading your thread, can you repeat it please?"

i nearly did but im to polite lol.

over a year ago

ops .... i could not resist this one ...

see new thread

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/119780

lol

over a year ago

If Carlsberg did boring …..they have to try really hard to beat this little effort....

Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (“Madrid Protocol”) (1989)

Article 2 (1)

Where an application for the registration of a mark has been filed with the Office of a Contracting Party, or where a mark has been registered in the register of the Office of a Contracting Party, the person in whose name that application (hereinafter referred to as “the basic application”) or that registration (hereinafter referred to as “the basic registration”) stands may, subject to the provisions of this Protocol, secure protection for his mark in the territory of the Contracting Parties, by obtaining the registration of that mark in the register of the International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (hereinafter referred to as “the international registration,” “the International Register,” “the International Bureau” and “the Organisation,” respectively), provided that,

(i) where the basic application has been filed with the Office of a Contracting State or where the basic registration has been made by such an Office, the person in whose name that application or registration stands is a national of that Contracting State, or is domiciled, or has a real and effective industrial or commercial establishment, in the said Contracting State,

(ii) where the basic application has been filed with the Office of a Contracting Organisation or where the basic registration has been made by such an Office, the person in whose name that application or registration stands is a national of a State member of that Contracting Organisation, or is domiciled, or has a real and effective industrial or commercial establishment, in the territory of the said Contracting Organisation.

Beat that suckers,,,,,

over a year ago

Soxy's profile.

Nuff said!

over a year ago

Job done. Got replies, and my own thread out of it

over a year ago

"Soxy's profile.

Nuff said!"

Hoo-hoo-hoo, your sooooo funny Dodge-pot,,,,, quick someone please take me to hospital...... my sides, they ache so much...... Oh-oh-oh.... I must stop laughing.....pfffttttt

over a year ago

"Soxy's profile.

Nuff said!

Hoo-hoo-hoo, your sooooo funny Dodge-pot,,,,, quick someone please take me to hospital...... my sides, they ache so much...... Oh-oh-oh.... I must stop laughing.....pfffttttt

.. "

Your sides are aching because of those charity shop girdles you keep wearing

over a year ago

I bought a new table lamp a couple of weeks ago, it has a pale green shade on it, this combined with lamp in the region of ..mmm..3000K gave off rather cold light. I didn't like it at first. But since going back to a warm light, I've realized it made the white walls look a lot cleaner, so I like it now after all.

By *33dfulthingsMan
over a year ago

london

I painted a wall the othe day. Firstly it had a shiny coat once first applied. Then as I sat there watching it the shine slowly started to fade. I still saw brush and roller marks where parts were drying faster than others. Then I made a cuppa to indulge in whilst watching the drying process continue. Now the shine fading more rapidly as the sun glared through from the window. Still a little moist as I noticed a fly land and unable to separate it's wings from the tacky paint. I took my eyes off the wall for a second so I could dunk a biscuit into my now warm tea. Back to the wall the fly had become motionless. Should I safe this fly from the dulux Tories it had succumbed to. Mmm I thought about this for a while whilst debating whether or not to touch the paint to see if it was dry. This turned out to be quite the debate and so I felt the need to dunk a few more biscuits before a decision could be made. Lucky the phone rang and paint watching was put on hold.........

over a year ago

And now for something completely different... When is a full stop not a complete full stop, did some literate in the dark ages decide lets describe a a half full stop as a commer... Beggars belief I hear you say.

By *33dfulthingsMan
over a year ago

london

"I painted a wall the othe day. Firstly it had a shiny coat once first applied. Then as I sat there watching it the shine slowly started to fade. I still saw brush and roller marks where parts were drying faster than others. Then I made a cuppa to indulge in whilst watching the drying process continue. Now the shine fading more rapidly as the sun glared through from the window. Still a little moist as I noticed a fly land and unable to separate it's wings from the tacky paint. I took my eyes off the wall for a second so I could dunk a biscuit into my now warm tea. Back to the wall the fly had become motionless. Should I safe this fly from the dulux Tories it had succumbed to. Mmm I thought about this for a while whilst debating whether or not to touch the paint to see if it was dry. This turned out to be quite the debate and so I felt the need to dunk a few more biscuits before a decision could be made. Lucky the phone rang and paint watching was put on hold........."

The conversation was someone trying to sell shot down the phone and rambled on about how this could benefit me, my life would never be the same without there product etc. The term it's like watching paint dry is obviously wrong as I was having a ball compared the one way phone conversation.......

By *33dfulthingsMan
over a year ago

london

So basically when does something become as boring as watching paint dry?

over a year ago

Preparing Your

Manuscript

"Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea

hits you, and just before you realize what's wrong with it."

A Few Words on Formatting

I've talked to plenty of new writers over the years, and many let formatting and

chapter length and lots of other small details drive them completely nuts! That's sad,

since the only thing that should be driving them nuts is how good of a story they are

telling. That means worrying about the tough things, the important things, like

conflict, pace, characterization, plot, dialogue, point of view, grammar, and so on. (See,

there are plenty of important things that can make or break a story, that you really

should worry about.) Formatting is the easy part.

If you are a member of a writing e-mail list, or any writing group, you've probably seen

the battles over fonts, underlining, one space after a period or two, and some others,

at least once, if not thirty times or a hundred times even, depending on when you

began writing. If you've looked in how-to books or on how-to pages on the internet,

you are probably more confused than ever. I think a lot of that is because the old

standard isn't the standard any more for a growing number of publishers. The

standard was the standard for many years, even after the internet grew so large. That

being the case, it makes it hard to know when to use the standards of font size and

formatting, and even how to figure word count. That means it is more important than

ever that you check the guidelines of any publisher, agent or contest you are going to

send work to. If they don't have any suggested format listed, then the old standard

isn't going to hurt you.

You do want an easy to read font, double spaced lines, print on one side only, and

leave nice margins all the way around. My favorite font is Dark Courier set at size 12.

(You can find a free download link for it below. I hope. It's getting harder and harder

to find downloads for it, so I hope I still have a working link up. If you download it, you

might want to save it to CD or something, so you'll have it if you ever need to install it

again.) The other Courier fonts like New Courier print off looking faded to me, so that's

why I like Dark Courier better. Of course as more and more things switch to email

submissions, who knows if it will even matter in a few years.

Don't worry too much over it all. If you are sending your work to a big print pub, an

agent, or an RWA chapter writing contests.....you should feel okay to stick with that

old standard--unless they have guidelines up that list something else they want you to

use. (Or unless there is a common new standard by the time you read this.) It's not

really that big of a deal, and no one who isn't brand new to the writing world will think

you are odd or not a pro for using the normal novel formatting rules if the publisher or

agent or contest doesn't list how they prefer things, or if you can't find a site that

shares that information about them.

If you are sending work off to a publisher, agent, or contest, look at their guidelines.

Almost every one of them will have some kind of guidelines up on their website,

especially if they want something different from the old standard. If they have any

formatting suggestions listed, FOLLOW THEM. In fact, it's really simple--a complete

no brainer--if any publisher, agent or contest list a preferred font, size, formatting, or

anything else in their guidelines GO WITH THAT. If the publisher you want to send

your work to asks for Bookman size 18 font, 12 lines per page, on purple paper, with

chapters that are no more than six pages long, then that's what you send them.

(Smile) If they don't ask, then I believe the old standard is a safe way to go for now.

If this is just all too confusing to you, and you really don't want to use the standard

and you are just going to have a heart attack worrying over it all. STOP. When it comes

to formatting, as long as the manuscript is easily readable and near the word length

the publisher is asking for, formatting isn't worth giving up writing your story over.

If you do want to stick with the standard or guidelines request you use it, it's easy,

looks professional, and you'll find all the information you need on it right here on this

page, just below this. Then you can let the important things drive you nuts, like

grammar, pace, plot, and all of that other great stuff. I promise you that the most

important thing you put on those pages you will be sending off is the writing. The

best formatting in the world isn't going to make an editor buy a bad story, and even

bad formatting, as long as it's readable and reasonable like I said above, isn't going to

keep her from buying a great story either.

Okay, lesson over, pick some kind of formatting and get back to writing! I need a lot

more great books to read. (Smile)

First, Some Books to Help

Standard Format & More

Print work on clean, white, letter-size paper, 20 lb. weight. Print on one side only. Standard novel

formatting is using a font like Courier size 12, Courier New 12, or my favorite, Dark Courier 12. All

print should be clear. Using colored paper doesn't catch an editor's eye, it only shows how new

you are. The same holds true for strange fonts or work printed too small or too large. The printed

manuscript page should look like a printed manuscript page, not the printed page of a book.

Editors need large, clear, easy to read print with plenty of white space between lines and in the

margins to write in notes and edits.

Click here or here to get a free Dark Courier download. To find out how to install a new font --

Click Start, Windows Explorer, Help, Fonts, and then Adding to Your Computer. There should be

step by step instructions there. (I hope one of the font links work. It's getting harder and harder to

find free downloads of Dark Courier. The last time I downloaded it, I put it on a CD, so if my

computer crashes or I get a new computer, I know I have a copy of Dark Courier to install.)

A few fonts just for fun. -- Thundrune's Free Fonts -- Gnome FONT Database

Leave at least a one inch margin on all sides. You might find one inch is fine, or you might need

to set your side margins a little larger. You want your lines on the page to come out to about 10

words each...and for once I am talking about using the word count you get from which ever

program you are writing in.

A header should be on each page, giving your manuscript's title, name, and page number.

Example....

A COWBOY'S WILL DILLON 1

or

A COWBOY'S WILL/Dillon 1

Title Page. This is your info dump page. A lot goes here. I've seen this done two ways, and have

been told both are fine. 1) At the top left of the page list your full real name, your address, phone

number, and e-mail address. On the top of the other side of the page, list word count. About

halfway down the page, center the MS title in caps, the word "by" goes below that, and then your

name. If you wish, you may add your pen name below your read name. 2) Go half way down the

page, center your MS title in caps, the word "by" goes below that, and then your name, just like

above, but instead of your name, address, phone number, word count, and the rest, going at the

top of the page, with this type it goes at the bottom of the page, in the right corner.

On the first page type Chapter One about half way down the page. Center it. Skip a line, and

start your story. Each new chapter should start on a new page, and be set up the same way.

Chapter length. Most chapters kind of find their own place to break, where something major is

about to happen or where there is some kind of question left hanging. A place where the reader

won't be able to put the book down for at least a few more pages. A good length to aim for though

is somewhere between 15 and 25 manuscript pages. The 15 being for shorter novels, say 70,000

words, and the 25 better for novels around 100,000 words. In the end, you'll feel what is right for

your story and for each chapter, and that's what you should go by. There is no set rule for chapter

length. You might very well have a seven page chapter someone in your novel and a twenty-six

page one some where else in there.

Word count. Each full page should hold 25 double-spaced lines -- all but the first and last page

of each chapter. An editor will count each page, full or not, as 250 words. {Of course this is for

standard MS formatting -- a courier 12, 25 lines per page, 10 words on each line = 250.} So a 400

page manuscript is a 100,000 words. To get those 25 lines, if you are using Word, instead of

clicking on double space, click on exactly, and then 25. (Find step by step info on setting up Word

at the bottom of this page.)

Word Count by Page

PLEASE NOTE: This word count only works if you use the standard MS

formatting of a courier 12, 25 lines per page, about 10 words per line. If you

are using some other format, or font, then you'll need to figure your word

count with another formula or use the work count from your computer, which is

the count many, if not most, publishers request now days.

340 pages = 85,000 words

360 pages = 90,000 words

380 pages = 95,000 words

400 pages = 100,000 words

420 pages = 105,000 words

440 pages = 110,000 words

460 pages = 115,000 words

480 pages = 120,000 words

500 pages = 125,000 words

160 pages = 40,000 words

180 pages = 45,000 words

200 pages = 50,000 words

220 pages = 55,000 words

240 pages = 60,000 words

260 pages = 65,000 words

280 pages = 70,000 words

300 pages = 75,000 words

320 pages = 80,000 words

Please note: We live in a changing world, and the publishing world has changed a whole

heck of a lot in the last few years. Plus, there are all kinds of publishers out there today.

Even some print publishers take email submissions now, and so might ask for a different

kind of format. So, as you read over my below hints for formatting, remember that you

might find a publisher or even an agent, that wants things totally different. If you've

checked them out and found them to be good, then how ever they want you to format

things, or sub things, that's the right way.

For many print publishers you don't italicize words. If you have text that should be

italicized, they have you underline it. Like everything else, check the publisher's guidelines

and italicize or underline depending on which they prefer. Most print published writers I

asked a couple of years ago, still used underlining instead of italics. If you are going to

enter your MS into an RWA writing contests, most judges will expect underlining. (But like I

said above, if the contest, agent or publisher you are targeting ask for it to be done some

other way, do what they ask -- and e-pubs and small presses almost always ask for some

other way.) In the end, the publisher or agent or contest rules, is always right, so if they

offer a format they prefer, that's the right format. (And italicize might be right even for big

pubs by the time you read this, so check and double check.)

How many spaces after the end of a sentence? I get asked about this a lot too. I know

authors who use one space after the end of a sentence, and I know authors who use two.

I thought most e-pubs used one space, but a writer wrote me and asked if I knew an easy

way to switch the one space to two because she had one and had just sold the MS to an

e-pub who wanted it changed to two. It used to always be two spaces, so many of us, us

older ones hehehe, are used to automatically skipping two spaces at the end of each

sentence and then starting the next. I think there's one good thing about using two spaces.

If the publisher you summit to asks that you use only one, it's easy to do a find in Word for

two spaces and then a Replace All to one. Much harder to do a search and change one

space to two, since that would be every space, without the risk of messing up a lot of

things. (By the way, this means the space between one sentence and the next. Not the

line spacing between lines. So far I think that is still mostly doubled spaced for everyone,

but always check.)

Skip a line for a scene break. If it falls as the first or last line on a page, I show it with

three pound marks. In fact, I place those marks between every scene break. That way if

things move around, say I reformat or do a rewrite, I don't lose those breaks. Example...

# # #

You should NOT submit a query letter, or even chapters, until the manuscript is

completed and ready to go; unless you already have a couple of books published like it.

There are just so many people who start novels and then never finish them, that

publishers and agents like to deal with completed works until you have proven yourself,

sometimes not even then.

How to submit. After that finished manuscript is polished and ready to go, it's time to

send out a query letter to an agent, publisher, or both. Some publishers and agents

will take chapters, but most want only a query letter and a short synopsis. {You can click

on the highlighted words here to get to my pages on them where you will find samples and

links.}

A query letter often gets you a quicker answer, even when a publisher or agent will take

chapters. If the query and synopsis are good enough and the editor thinks your story

could fit her needs or the agent thinks she could find a home for the story, you also might

get to skip being asked for the first three chapters and get a request for a complete

instead. With waiting times often being months, sometimes nearly a year, and sometimes

even much longer, who wants to wait that long to hear on three chapters, and then wait

again just as long, or longer, to hear about a complete.

If you send in a query and short synopsis, (and I do mean SHORT) they can be folded and

placed in a normal size business envelope -- don't forget the SASE. If you send in

chapters or a complete, of course you are going to need a large envelope for this. The

large brown kind works well for chapters, or even a short manuscript, but for a long one

I've found the larger Priority envelopes you can get for free from the United States Post

Office are great.

Do not staple pages. Bind them by placing a large rubber band around them. If the

manuscript is long, you can place one rubber band length ways, the other width ways.

Don't forget an SASE that is large enough to have the work returned to you. (Or a small

SASE for a reply, with a note saying they can recycle the MS.) When you send that

manuscript, don't send it in a way that will cause the editor or agent to have to sign for it.

Either send it with a simple delivery confirmation slip, or enclose a SASP (Self addressed

stamped postcard) that the editor can place in her out box to be returned to you. Note that

your SASP might not come right back though, since the package might not get opened for

a long while. Depends on the house. Check out this page for more info on mailing a

manuscript.

Some Links that Might be Helpful

Quick Reference Guide

Manuscript Formatting

Proofreading Symbols and Abbreviations

Correctly Formatting Your Manuscripts

How to Format a Manuscript

How to Figure Manuscript Length

Basic rules for formatting manuscripts and how to avoid common mistakes.

How to Submit a Manuscript

How to Submit Your Manuscript

A Quick Guide to Manuscript Format

How to Format Your Manuscript for Kindle

Formatting Your Manuscript For Word Writers

ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) Format

The Submission Journey

How To Create A Manuscript Template In Microsoft Word

Formatting Tip Sheet

A Simple Guide to Manuscript Format

Formatting Your Manuscript

Submission Do's and Dont's

Format Your Manuscript in Word

Find more info on these subjects, and others, on my Articles page!

Some Things You Should Know

SASE -- Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. One should go off with every submission.

Make sure if you are sending chapters, that there is enough postage to get it back to you.

SASP -- Self Addressed Stamped Postcard. You can enclose one with your MS. On the

back write something like,

Your MS reached us on _______

Signed _______

That way you not only know your MS made it to the publisher or agent safe and sound, but

the date it was opened and who has it.

Guidelines -- Most houses offer guidelines that only cost you the price of a letter and a

SASE to get them sent to you. Many houses, if not most now days, even post this info on

their websites. If you can't find them on the internet, write and ask. Guidelines are important.

They list wants and want not's, names of editors, and lots of other stuff that will help you

know which house is right for your story, how to format it, what to send, ect.... If your MS is

100,000 words, why waste time and money sending it to a house that only wants MSS that

are less than 80,000 words? The same goes with love scenes. Some lines want too hot to

touch, and others want sweet as candy.

Multiple or simultaneous submissions -- This means offering the same story to more than

one house at the same time. Most publishers don't accept these.

MS or MSS -- Manuscript or manuscripts.

Partial -- Usually a query letter, short synopsis, and the first three chapters.

Query letter -- See info and samples.

Synopsis -- See info and samples.

A complete -- Means the whole MS.

Turn around time -- This is the amount of time that you should wait to hear back from the

editor on your submission. It is different at each house. One rule though...in most cases, if

they list two months, that could mean six or more. Sometimes they live up to the time frame,

but not often. I've also noticed that form rejections come faster than personal ones. That

might just be my luck. I've waited a year for a rejection on a complete, and I'm not alone. I've

also gotten one back in as little as seven weeks. Just don't hold your breath. This is what

makes that deal about not accepting multiple submissions really suck.

Follow up -- If the house's guidelines say three months, and four or five have gone by, it's

okay to send a letter asking about your MS. Include the date it was sent, and the title. If it

was requested work, mention that as well. Don't forget the SASE. I've even sent an SASP

instead, with something on it like,

Your manuscript is still under consideration __

Your manuscript has been rejected __

We enjoyed your manuscript and you'll be hearing from us soon __

All the editor or agent has to do is check one, and toss it in the out box.

Meet Word

Word is standard. (And so far that much shows no sign of changing.) It's the program that most

writers use and that most editors ask them to use or send work in or from. Office Home and

Student cost only a little more and comes with Word, but also other useful programs like One

Note. I really like One Note. It's a great help and lets you keep notes, pictures, all kinds of stuff in

one easy place under different tabs. Makes keeping up with characters, plot points and time

lines a breeze. Office Home and Business offers even more, but the price is more too. It has

Word and even more stuff, including One Note and Publisher. The top of the price list is Office

Professional. Depending on what you do with your writing, and if you use your computer for

other business stuff too, you might want to put out the extra money. The only thing you really

need is Word. If you have a few extra bucks, I'd go with Office Home and Student so you can get

One Note. Anything over that, and it's just a matter of choice and what all you need and do on

your computer. Just click on the picture or highlighted words above to find out information on

how to buy it if your computer didn't come with it. You can find other helpful programs and tools

on my Writer's Store page.

Setting up Word - Step by Step

I have two different computers and each has a different brand of printer, but I use the same

Word formatting on both. On some computers, or with a different Word program, you might

have to play with these numbers a little. I say use what ever works to get what you need.

Once you find those numbers, save them, so you can set your next manuscript up the same

way each time. This should work with Word programs before Word 97. Some of it should work

with Word 97 too, but things may be located in different spots.

If you have some pages already in Word, just do this.... Click on Edit, Select All, Format,

Paragraph. In Paragraph click on Indents and Spacing. If you are starting out fresh, with a

blank page, you can skip the click on Edit and the Select All steps, and just start out by

clicking on Format, and follow on from there.

After you click on Paragraph, a box will open. That's were you add the below info.

Alignment: Left

Indentation

Left: 0" or 0.1" or 0.2" (Depending on the margin you want, which should be around 1 inch..)

Right: 0"

Spacing

Before: 0 pt

After: 0 pt

Outline Level: Body Text

Special: First Line

By: 0.5"

Line Spacing: Exactly

At: 25 pt

Now click on Line and Page Breaks. Make sure the box next to each thing is left unchecked,

including Widow/Orphan Control. Click OK.

To make a header for your MS, click on View, then on Header and Footer

Type in your title, last name -- like -- MISTER MAGIC/Dillon

Next, use the space bar to move to the right, near the end of the header space...but not all the

way. Now click on the first square you see in the box below. This will be the Insert Page

Number button. You can right click to get rid of that green line if it pops up between your

name and page number. The sixth button in that box looks like an open book, it's your Page

Setup. Click on it, then on Margins, and make sure your Top margin is set to 1", then click

OK. I've found if it is bigger than one inch, you can get less than 25 lines on each page. Click

Close and you're done. I hope this set up works for you.

This link takes you to a site that has lots of info and tricks on using Word. I have some more

links and info you might helpful on my Articles page.

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Hahahahahhahahahaahahahhahahha

over a year ago

"So basically when does something become as boring as watching paint dry?"

When you read about it

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"So basically when does something become as boring as watching paint dry?"

When its my sex life

over a year ago

Dogger you creased me up and thank you for making my day fella ans without doubt your my winner

Post new Message to Thread