Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cook book for One

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Can anyone suggest a cook book with recipes for cooking for one person?

Fairly recently single and determined to not go down the "student" route of eating the SA,e thing every day or take outs!

Thanks

Ian

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Use a standard cookbook and freeze the extra portions.

over a year ago

Instead of cooking for a single portion all the time which can be quite expensive, I would advise the OP to consider cooking in bulk and freezing whatever you do not eat in good air-tight containers, so that you have a selection of homecooked food in the freezer to hand.

Dishes such as stews, curries, soups etc. are definitely worth cooking in bulk.

Have fun cooking!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Use a standard cookbook and freeze the extra portions."

Damn was gonna say that but went away to perve the profile first lol

over a year ago

Great minds think alike and all that.

Or practical minds in this case.

Sauces, such as for pasta, can also be made in bulk and frozen for quick meals.

over a year ago

Making a Bolognese sauce with Quorn to feed the hungry mob at work this weekend, and shall freeze some for myself for laters.

I am not a fan of Quorn except the mince.

over a year ago

i like your style -- get the sympathy vote get girls on your side lol hehehhe

On a more practlicle point; cooking for one boooks freely available; but if i was you id follow other advise and cook what you like for more and freez what you dont heat - cheaper of energy costs alone

Happy cooking .... or is that F....ing

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

yes i agree with the others plus it will save you cooking everyday, but you can get lots of cook books for one

over a year ago

Slow cookers are ace. Bung everything in, switch it on, come home to a meal and freeze the rest.

over a year ago

Don't cook for one invite a friend to dine with u...never know they may provide pudding....lol

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

If you don't know much about cooking and need quite basic help then get s copy of how to boil an egg.

It starts with... well, you've probably. guessed where it starts! And goes all the way to roast dinners.

If you're more experienced than Delia does one is fun.

Good luck

over a year ago

Thanks for all the replies. A disappointing lack of women wanting to come and "teach me" though

All good suggestions, the only thing with cooking in bulk is that I get bored of the same thing plus I'm a VERY fussy eater and prefer if I can to cook fresh. Also it gives me something to do in the evenings and makes the whole thing more enjoyable. Thinking of getting a slow cooker as enjoy casseroles now, although they are generally from a packet mix!.

Anyomore suggestions??

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

slow cookers are the singletons cooking saviour , I was given a slow cooker as a Christmas present after my divorce, I smiled through gritted teeth when I saw the cooker (I'd asked for golf balls.. not like you can mistake one for the other.. ) its been the bestest present I've ever been given. Give it stuff and it cooks it, best thing it doesn't complain when I come home when its been slaving away cooking my food all day.. only down side it can't do salads..

By *rDionysusMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Temptingdevil has already mentioned it but I'm a slave to Delia Smith - One is Fun. There's a wide variety of fresh recepies and whilst the book is now a little dated, the food is marvelous. She's also a big advocate of adding booze to food too!!

The only problem is using all the food you buy to make up the recipes if you can't use them all, but that makes you experiment more, it does me anyway!

Try it, it's a worthwhile purchase.

over a year ago

The more I think about it a slow cooker does sound very appealing. I work late quite often and having something ready when I get back sounds good.

Maybe the Delia Smith book is a bit much for a novice like me? Anyone suggest a good "stepping stone" book to help get me started.

over a year ago

Get the hairy bikers new cook book re the diet one.......even if for dieting its got some great recipes in it and if your alone, do a bulk cook and freeze, will save you money

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

i live myself and find as most have said cook for 4 and freeze. never used a cookbook myself when in your supermarket look at there premier ranges check ingredients and make it yourself for around a quarter of price

over a year ago

"i live myself and find as most have said cook for 4 and freeze. never used a cookbook myself when in your supermarket look at there premier ranges check ingredients and make it yourself for around a quarter of price "

Well im gonna cook the veggie version of leeksagne when i next cook.

I dont like pasta and in this you use leeks instead. yum

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Oh hairy bikers recipe for leekie lol

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"i live myself and find as most have said cook for 4 and freeze. never used a cookbook myself when in your supermarket look at there premier ranges check ingredients and make it yourself for around a quarter of price

Well im gonna cook the veggie version of leeksagne when i next cook.

I dont like pasta and in this you use leeks instead. yum "

mmmmm sounds nice cook extra and i eill leap on the train lol

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

Delia excellent recipes for one, and novice friendly......a varied store cupboard, fresh good ingredients simply cooked, and cooking for one can be a pleasure....

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"The more I think about it a slow cooker does sound very appealing. I work late quite often and having something ready when I get back sounds good.

Maybe the Delia Smith book is a bit much for a novice like me? Anyone suggest a good "stepping stone" book to help get me started.

"

How to Boil an Egg...

Although as someone else has said Delia is very explicit and her recipes practically never fail.

over a year ago

Right I'm buying a slow cooker. Going for a 2.4l one which is suitable for two people. Will let you know how I get on bring on winter and the need for hearty meals!

over a year ago

Slow cooker is a success. First meal in it today and its a roast chicken of all things?!?!?

Very nice, meat fell off the bones and tasted great, meat nice and moist.

Thanks for the advice!

over a year ago

Excellent, have fun with future experiments!

Post new Message to Thread