Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Trigger points.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

You’re triggered, something has hit a nerve, something has wound you up…

Are you aware of your trigger points, do you recognise them?

Do you know the roots of them, or attempt to discover what the roots are?

If you know, do you actively work on it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes I am aware of all my trigger points. Not saying I always handle it well but I have learned to understand why they trigger me and make a judgment call based on that.

This often means walking away and not reacting

over a year ago

"You’re triggered, something has hit a nerve, something has wound you up…

Are you aware of your trigger points, do you recognise them?

Do you know the roots of them, or attempt to discover what the roots are?

If you know, do you actively work on it?"

I'm aware of many, yes. I'm sure there are more to be uncovered. I use meditation to help explore the resins for the trigger and to help control the fight and flight reaction.

over a year ago

My triggers are people who are ignorant after I've been courteous and polite to them.

I am aware of it and keep it in check when my kids are with me.

Not so much when I'm alone

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Self-awareness is something I’ve been working hard on for the last couple of years and I’m getting better at it. Beginning to automatically recognise it when something triggers a reaction and digging for the explanation for it is massive progress for me. I’m continuing my counsellor training next month and it’s really important to have this awareness so things that come up with clients don’t impact on the quality of the help that you can offer by affecting your relationship with them

over a year ago

"My triggers are people who are ignorant after I've been courteous and polite to them.

I am aware of it and keep it in check when my kids are with me.

Not so much when I'm alone "

Do you practice observing your thoughts, do you know why this is a trigger for you?

over a year ago

"Self-awareness is something I’ve been working hard on for the last couple of years and I’m getting better at it. Beginning to automatically recognise it when something triggers a reaction and digging for the explanation for it is massive progress for me. I’m continuing my counsellor training next month and it’s really important to have this awareness so things that come up with clients don’t impact on the quality of the help that you can offer by affecting your relationship with them "

Awesome, love this.

Self awareness is key isn’t it?

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

If I’m being completely honest, and it’s something I’ve gotten better at realising as I get older.

Some of the things that trigger me the most, are things I actually do to other people.

It’s abit embarrassing when you realise it. Someone will do/say something to me that can really piss me off, then I can catch myself doing exactly that to someone else

over a year ago

"If I’m being completely honest, and it’s something I’ve gotten better at realising as I get older.

Some of the things that trigger me the most, are things I actually do to other people.

It’s abit embarrassing when you realise it. Someone will do/say something to me that can really piss me off, then I can catch myself doing exactly that to someone else "

Having that awareness is good though.

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

"Self-awareness is something I’ve been working hard on for the last couple of years and I’m getting better at it. Beginning to automatically recognise it when something triggers a reaction and digging for the explanation for it is massive progress for me. I’m continuing my counsellor training next month and it’s really important to have this awareness so things that come up with clients don’t impact on the quality of the help that you can offer by affecting your relationship with them

Awesome, love this.

Self awareness is key isn’t it?"

Absolutely! Still a long way to go but getting there. Some people never seem to recognise the importance of it so I’m happy to keep plodding on with it!

over a year ago

"Self-awareness is something I’ve been working hard on for the last couple of years and I’m getting better at it. Beginning to automatically recognise it when something triggers a reaction and digging for the explanation for it is massive progress for me. I’m continuing my counsellor training next month and it’s really important to have this awareness so things that come up with clients don’t impact on the quality of the help that you can offer by affecting your relationship with them

Awesome, love this.

Self awareness is key isn’t it?

Absolutely! Still a long way to go but getting there. Some people never seem to recognise the importance of it so I’m happy to keep plodding on with it! "

I think it’s probably a life long journey, because there are always layers, like an onion

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"If I’m being completely honest, and it’s something I’ve gotten better at realising as I get older.

It’s abit embarrassing when you realise it. Someone will do/say something to me that can really piss me off, then I can catch myself doing exactly that to someone else "

I think that's true with a lot of people though - people don't like certain behaviour but will do it to others.

I know my trigger points and if someone unintentionally ignites them, I've learned to ignore it and not flare up. Life is too short to spend it getting angry. I didn't really work on them per se, I just know people are flawed and for the most part not out to hurt/annoy me. They are just a bit silly, as am I.

If it's done deliberately, self obsessed behaviour that gets on my tits, I might send a stream of consciousness in my irked state. I try and not spend too much time thinking about it because it's not worth it.

over a year ago

It’s abit embarrassing when you realise it. Someone will do/say something to me that can really piss me off, then I can catch myself doing exactly that to someone else

I think that's true with a lot of people though - people don't like certain behaviour but will do it to others.

I know my trigger points and if someone unintentionally ignites them, I've learned to ignore it and not flare up. Life is too short to spend it getting angry. I didn't really work on them per se, I just know people are flawed and for the most part not out to hurt/annoy me. They are just a bit silly, as am I.

If it's done deliberately, self obsessed behaviour that gets on my tits, I might send a stream of consciousness in my irked state. I try and not spend too much time thinking about it because it's not worth it."

Do you think there is any value in examining trigger points, and establishing the root cause?

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Do you think there is any value in examining trigger points, and establishing the root cause? "

Hmmm....

I think there can be, sure. It can help better a person, stop them being less angry/stressed. When we look inwards we're doing that through our own lense, our own self perception as to how we really are.

The reality might be different - sometimes we can become a bit too self focused, biased and certain in our right to respond a particular way. How self aware is self awareness?

I don't think navel gazing is always the answer but I can see why it benefits some.

over a year ago

I generally know what sets me off but I struggle greatly to not react and almost always fail. That’s mostly due to being unhappy with so much else.

over a year ago

"Do you think there is any value in examining trigger points, and establishing the root cause?

Hmmm....

I think there can be, sure. It can help better a person, stop them being less angry/stressed. When we look inwards we're doing that through our own lense, our own self perception as to how we really are.

The reality might be different - sometimes we can become a bit too self focused, biased and certain in our right to respond a particular way. How self aware is self awareness?

I don't think navel gazing is always the answer but I can see why it benefits some."

“The idea of being self aware is that you put your self-perspective aside and look objectively at the situation that has caused these triggers. The more you practice being self-aware the greater your self awareness becomes and with that cones the ability to be objective about the situation.

Like anything when you start being self aware your own ‘works view’ colours your vision, however just because it is difficult doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done”

over a year ago

I know what triggers me yes! Unfortunately sometimes I can’t help it and I tend to spiral badly . It can be a trigger that makes me go really inward and feel depressed or a trigger that makes me go nuts (usually tho it’s more like the first type rather than me going full berserk)

I do my best to avoid it but sometimes I can’t help it to either wind myself or else xx

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"I don't think navel gazing is always the answer but I can see why it benefits some.

“The idea of being self aware is that you put your self-perspective aside and look objectively at the situation that has caused these triggers. The more you practice being self-aware the greater your self awareness becomes and with that cones the ability to be objective about the situation.

Like anything when you start being self aware your own ‘works view’ colours your vision, however just because it is difficult doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done”

"

Interesting viewpoint in that quote, I'm not sure quite how objective a person can be about a personal situation though. I think that we can practice awareness easily but self awareness involves us controlling how we respond to certain situations. We're too prone to follies and foibles to ever be truly self aware I think (and yes, I'm including myself in that). We're works in progress and I don't think we ever achieve true self awareness. That's okay.

Endeavouring to be better isn't something to be looked down on though, I'm all for people practicing that if it helps them!

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I'm very aware of some of my triggers but probably not all.

If I overreact to something I do like to spend a little time digging through the emotion to figure out what's really going on.

over a year ago

"I'm very aware of some of my triggers but probably not all.

If I overreact to something I do like to spend a little time digging through the emotion to figure out what's really going on. "

It can be fascinating can’t it. I think for me, working out my trigger points, and their roots, well it can help release certain things, if I can do that, it’s less likely these triggers will impact myself and those around me.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I know some of mine. I believe my reactions to them are proportionate

over a year ago

Life's too short to beat yourself up surely.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I know my trigger points quite well - I can now remain calm even under pressure as I can identify the physical response early and can mostly stop myself in my tracks before I get too wound up.

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

I know myself and thus my trigger point as such are mostly silenced and deactivated. Biggest trigger points on FAB and the forums are truths people don't want to hear

over a year ago

I know most things that are my trigger points, most I can take a step back and control, apart from cruelty to children and animals, I really flip then and yes I know it’s not always good

By *icearmsMan
over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

I knownwhat my trigger points are and I know where they come from. I've worked hard since the age of 8 or 9 to know how to deal with them.

I know how to avoid those situations now and as a result feel that I have a lot better control of my triggers.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Much more aware of them now. Try to take time to reflect rather than react like Krakatoa.

Some are just best avoided tho where possible.

Post new Message to Thread