Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If you can piss you can paint!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

That’s the saying that painter and decorators hate to hear, because they think there’s an art to their trade, any who I’ve been painting the kitchen, I don’t like cutting in, but like getting the roller out, I know you’re supposed to cut in around the edges first then roll the big bit in the middle, afterwards as a reward, but fuck it I got the roller out first then cut in after, anyone else give zero fucks when painting or are you methodical in your approach, I know preparation is key with decorating, but it all seems such a faff ?!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

It’s something I’ve always DIY but I hate glossing with a passion and always blob on the carpet.

over a year ago

"It’s something I’ve always DIY but I hate glossing with a passion and always blob on the carpet. "

Glossing usually comes last doesn’t it ?!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm a but icd with painting. And prefer to do it myself.

But glossing is the worst. I hate it.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I started my kitchen 2 years ago and it remains partially cut in and mostly fucked right off… literally have these bright ideas and realise very fast I’m bored and lacking in skill. I hate painting!!!!!

over a year ago

In Suffolk the painting and decorating pros call the amateurs 'toshers'. I think it's an old country word rather than variation of tosser.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

"I started my kitchen 2 years ago and it remains partially cut in and mostly fucked right off… literally have these bright ideas and realise very fast I’m bored and lacking in skill. I hate painting!!!!! "

Here here

over a year ago

"In Suffolk the painting and decorating pros call the amateurs 'toshers'. I think it's an old country word rather than variation of tosser."

There is a big difference in finish with a decent painter and decorator I have to admit.

over a year ago

"I started my kitchen 2 years ago and it remains partially cut in and mostly fucked right off… literally have these bright ideas and realise very fast I’m bored and lacking in skill. I hate painting!!!!! "

Can’t rush these things.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

When I was married, I always did the cutting in, he did the roller bit and the ceiling. I did the covering up beforehand and the tidying up.

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

I love painting - it's like mindfullness.

Skirting boards are a pain up the arse tbh cos I have to get the masking tape out & a small brush.

If you start angry you finish up calm!

However, I find packing up & tidying up & washing rollers the worst job on the planet. I wouldn't want to do it for a living!

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"I started my kitchen 2 years ago and it remains partially cut in and mostly fucked right off… literally have these bright ideas and realise very fast I’m bored and lacking in skill. I hate painting!!!!!

Can’t rush these things."

True dat… I’ll do it when I retire.

over a year ago

"I love painting - it's like mindfullness.

Skirting boards are a pain up the arse tbh cos I have to get the masking tape out & a small brush.

If you start angry you finish up calm!

However, I find packing up & tidying up & washing rollers the worst job on the planet. I wouldn't want to do it for a living! "

How can there still be paint coming out of the rollers 10 minutes later after washing it ?!

over a year ago

I like the painting part. But I hate sanding. I usually skip that, I know I shouldn't, but I still do.

By *ovingittwoCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

As a painter and decorator myself I use a roller once only then chuck it. No point in washing them out.

over a year ago

"As a painter and decorator myself I use a roller once only then chuck it. No point in washing them out."

That’s a bit extravagant. Don’t you put the head in a carry bag, to use it again the next day ?

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I know people who get £180 a day to paint.

By *ambozaMan
over a year ago

kilburn park

I was a painters mate/assistant many years ago... it’s all about the prep and the last few bits.

By *lenderfoxMan
over a year ago

Leeds

I actually don't mind glossing, it's oddly satisfying

I find the prep a pain

over a year ago

On the basis that if you can piss, you can paint, there's hope for me yet!!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I don’t mind painting an empty room but a room filled to the rafters with furniture …..just no.

By *ovingittwoCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"As a painter and decorator myself I use a roller once only then chuck it. No point in washing them out.

That’s a bit extravagant. Don’t you put the head in a carry bag, to use it again the next day ? "

Yes I wrap them in plastic for however long I need them then throw them away at the end of the job. There cheap enough and the customer pays for them. Win win !!

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan
over a year ago

City

I'm always painting for people. My dad just tells people I will do it for them.

Normally they simply don't have the money to get it done and don't have the mobility anymore to do it themselves

One was quoted 4 grand for 2 bedrooms and a sitting room and kitchen.

If they were quoted 50 euro a room for one coat they would just pay. Instead they chase me down the road trying to shove 20 quid in my pocket. They couldn't have me do it for free.

I think there is a skill to doing it well quickly, but not what they charge around here.

over a year ago

I have heard a decorator is a labour with his brains smashed out

over a year ago

"I have heard a decorator is a labour with his brains smashed out "

No, trust me they’re not, in 24 years of bricklaying I had one good labourer, a labourer that you didn’t have to tell them what to do every 5 minutes.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I'm always painting for people. My dad just tells people I will do it for them.

Normally they simply don't have the money to get it done and don't have the mobility anymore to do it themselves

One was quoted 4 grand for 2 bedrooms and a sitting room and kitchen.

If they were quoted 50 euro a room for one coat they would just pay. Instead they chase me down the road trying to shove 20 quid in my pocket. They couldn't have me do it for free.

I think there is a skill to doing it well quickly, but not what they charge around here."

Can you come and do mine please?

over a year ago

I'm great for the first hour then I lose all interest.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Sanding down the wood work first. I hate that soo much.

over a year ago

Whoever invented fucking wants decorating ,whoever invented decorating wants fucking.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I have the painters in. Cue feeling in need of a hug.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

I do my own painting, I tend to get as close to the edge as I can with the roller and cut in whatever's left with a brush.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I have the painters in. Cue feeling in need of a hug. "

Me too. Ibuprofen is my best friend! And chocolate.

over a year ago

If you can piss you can at least attempt to get the paint from the pot to where you think it should be... but give a monkey the bush and chances are they'll do a better job...

I was on jobs with Dad from when I was old enough to help him wash out afterwards. To even a semi-trained eye it is really easy to see the difference between a wall that's been "painted" and a wall that's been done by a Painter. Once you're shown what to look for with like; too much paint in the tool, not enough paint in the tool, wrong size tool, worn out tool... The hack jobs are like neon signs

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I have the painters in. Cue feeling in need of a hug.

Me too. Ibuprofen is my best friend! And chocolate."

I got tipsy instead!

over a year ago

"I have the painters in. Cue feeling in need of a hug. "

The red bus is in town ?

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Washing up after is the worst bit. Cutting in is a faf. I prefer a brush to a roller on the walls though.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I have the painters in. Cue feeling in need of a hug.

The red bus is in town ? "

Toot toot

By *lenderfoxMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"I have heard a decorator is a labour with his brains smashed out "

You've not met a labourer then!

over a year ago

When l entered the trade rollers were banned at some councils, the texture prone to mould growth the reason !Paint brushes were sold by weight not size , ie 4 ounce ,6 ounce , 8 ounce. Planks were set up for ceilings and the whitewash or paint was 'slapped ' on from a bucket tucked in the arm, if you werent ambidextrous one arm ended up more muscular than the other ,

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I cut in later.

over a year ago

I love doing the cutting in!

over a year ago

Every room in my house is half done in someway. As long as the bit I stare at most is fine I can ignore the rest.

over a year ago

Never heard of that saying before. I would imagine that it must have been a guy who was showing a girl how to paint that made that one up lol .probably a painter into watersports lol

By *alentedfMan
over a year ago

Near Newbury

I find painting rather relaxing.

Don't like the new water based paints, they are shit compared to 1990s oil based gloss

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

I methodically ask my friends to help whilst I contribute nothing myself

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"I started my kitchen 2 years ago and it remains partially cut in and mostly fucked right off… literally have these bright ideas and realise very fast I’m bored and lacking in skill. I hate painting!!!!!

Every room in my house is half done in someway. As long as the bit I stare at most is fine I can ignore the rest. "

I did my living room from top to bottom and I love it!!! The rest of the house… not so much work in progress… so I ignore it too… I’m an arse!!!

over a year ago

Every room in my house is half done in someway. As long as the bit I stare at most is fine I can ignore the rest.

I did my living room from top to bottom and I love it!!! The rest of the house… not so much work in progress… so I ignore it too… I’m an arse!!! "

The image of it looks brilliant in my head. I just get so bored doing it

over a year ago

I often do painting for other people as a favour they nearly always either slip me a few quid or give me some cans to take home. I always tend to cut in first.

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

I did my living room from top to bottom and I love it!!! The rest of the house… not so much work in progress… so I ignore it too… I’m an arse!!!

The image of it looks brilliant in my head. I just get so bored doing it "

10 tubs of paint in my downstairs bathroom of doom says I agree….

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

10 tubs of paint in my downstairs bathroom of doom says I agree…. "

Behind the rice

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Behind the rice "

Stocked up the rice today you’ll be relieved to know

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Behind the rice

Stocked up the rice today you’ll be relieved to know "

Haha. I’m so pleased

over a year ago

Behind the rice "

Rice + paint would give a lovely woodchip effect

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Behind the rice

Rice + paint would give a lovely woodchip effect "

Good job I’m too lazy to try it

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

"I like the painting part. But I hate sanding. I usually skip that, I know I shouldn't, but I still do."

Tut tut

over a year ago

"That’s the saying that painter and decorators hate to hear, because they think there’s an art to their trade, any who I’ve been painting the kitchen, I don’t like cutting in, but like getting the roller out, I know you’re supposed to cut in around the edges first then roll the big bit in the middle, afterwards as a reward, but fuck it I got the roller out first then cut in after, anyone else give zero fucks when painting or are you methodical in your approach, I know preparation is key with decorating, but it all seems such a faff ?!"

I agree with the painter and decorators if you paint a wall white and you cut in after it is really obvious to a trained eye. It’s also obvious when brushstrokes are in different directions. The light catches the strokes and it depends how OCD you are as to whether you can let it be. The roller finish diffuses the light really well, so any blemishes or uneven surfaces are harder to spot.

By *ondon-guy68Man
over a year ago

London

As with most things, first impressions counts. If it’s a shite paint job clients or architects will then start to look closer at the quality of the work overall and give you a sang list a mile long.

Cut in first and take your time, just like foreplay if you do the groundwork right the rewards at the end will show…

over a year ago

Im almost feeling inspired to pick the brush up again

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

My brother is a decorator taught me how to paint but still dislike doing ceilings

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Yeah I cut in

over a year ago

Get the best kit you can afford ,it really does make a difference and makes it easier ,goes without saying that its worth looking after your kit then if it cost a lot .

over a year ago

i used to do alot of decorating when i wasnt away with work, just to stop getting bored, ended up with loads of customers, my bigest tip is only ever use masking tape on carpets under a wall or skirting board, you shouldnt need it anywhere else if you are carefull, and buy get stuff and pull it off as soon as you can, before it dries, as for cutting in the best way is to do it first, then you have a guide to roller to, but do one edge at a time before you roller, it what you cut in dries before you roller it will show, if wet it wont as much, as for gloss, make shure its oil based, you can easy tell as the instructions will say clean with brush cleaner not water, water based is crap, altho oil based does smell more, and all gloss yellows whatever the type, and get paint from a decorators dpot not a diy shop, much cheaper, like half price if you get a trade account, and anyone can, and never use farrow and ball, your customer, or partner, wont thank you, looks great for a while, but shows any mark aven finger prints, and cant wash it, a decorator center will match a colour of normal paint and the customer will never tell, but it will be hard wearing, and save them a fortune

over a year ago

"Im almost feeling inspired to pick the brush up again "

Need a hand

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I hate decorating! God its like watching paint dry !!

over a year ago

"I hate decorating! God its like watching paint dry !! "

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

Cannot stand painting, would much rather pay a pro to do it for me

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

"Cannot stand painting, would much rather pay a pro to do it for me "

Last time I paid a "professional'I could have made a better job!

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Cannot stand painting, would much rather pay a pro to do it for me

Last time I paid a "professional'I could have made a better job! "

then why didnt you

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Last time I paid a "professional'I could have made a better job! .

then why didnt you "

Read my comment 10 mins ago !

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

Last time I paid a "professional'I could have made a better job! "

Gutted! Fortunately we have awesome tradies at work so I go to them

over a year ago

You need to find a painting slav3!

over a year ago

I don't worry about what others do!

I do appreciate that professionals can do a high spec job though, having worked for wealthy people who employ decorators.

I have decorated my house though and happy with the result.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

I absolutely hate decorating with a passion.

I would rather pay someone to do it these days.

over a year ago

"Cannot stand painting, would much rather pay a pro to do it for me "

I'm doing just that he's due anytime.... Its a skill

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"i used to do alot of decorating when i wasnt away with work, just to stop getting bored, ended up with loads of customers, my bigest tip is only ever use masking tape on carpets under a wall or skirting board, you shouldnt need it anywhere else if you are carefull, and buy get stuff and pull it off as soon as you can, before it dries, as for cutting in the best way is to do it first, then you have a guide to roller to, but do one edge at a time before you roller, it what you cut in dries before you roller it will show, if wet it wont as much, as for gloss, make shure its oil based, you can easy tell as the instructions will say clean with brush cleaner not water, water based is crap, altho oil based does smell more, and all gloss yellows whatever the type, and get paint from a decorators dpot not a diy shop, much cheaper, like half price if you get a trade account, and anyone can, and never use farrow and ball, your customer, or partner, wont thank you, looks great for a while, but shows any mark aven finger prints, and cant wash it, a decorator center will match a colour of normal paint and the customer will never tell, but it will be hard wearing, and save them a fortune"

In my experience, oil based paint gives a smoother gloss finish. It yellows more, especially in natural light areas. It also smells strong for ages. Water based gloss doesn’t go on as smoothly therefore doesn’t gloss as well, but some brands don’t yellow at all.

You must choose the correct brush depending on oil or water based. You shouldn’t paint water based with natural bristle.

I used crown water based gloss paint on my stair stringers & door frames around eight years ago. Last year I did the lounge, and where the new white gloss joined the old at the doorframe there was absolutely zero difference in shade, absolutely no yellowing at all.

over a year ago

"That’s the saying that painter and decorators hate to hear, because they think there’s an art to their trade, any who I’ve been painting the kitchen, I don’t like cutting in, but like getting the roller out, I know you’re supposed to cut in around the edges first then roll the big bit in the middle, afterwards as a reward, but fuck it I got the roller out first then cut in after, anyone else give zero fucks when painting or are you methodical in your approach, I know preparation is key with decorating, but it all seems such a faff ?!"

My hubby is a decorater,and its not just a brush and roller. Theres prepping,measurements,plastering,taping,lowering ceilings,pappering

over a year ago

Thats the difference between a diyer and actual tradespeople, you think it looks easy until you do it then you make a cunt of it and end up calling the professionals

over a year ago

We’re posh here , we have Satin wood & not gloss

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Use trade paint. It lasts so much longer than the "normal" stuff. Expensive but trust me it's worth it. Don't cut corners on prep work. Hey, it will take a long time but stepping back once all done is a great feeling!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

"We’re posh here , we have Satin wood & not gloss "

Gloss takes ages to dry, smells and shows up the wood imperfections. Satin Wood every time and does not 'yellow' like gloss does eventually. Trade paint if you can afford it.

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"In Suffolk the painting and decorating pros call the amateurs 'toshers'. I think it's an old country word rather than variation of tosser."

I heard that expression a lot when I worked in London

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I never know whether to gloss skirting boards and door frames before or after painting the walls. There are pros and cons of both approaches.

Also, when fixing shelves I put masking tape around the drill bit so I only drill to the depth of the plugs, but if it’s masonry should I drill to the depth of the screw not the plug ?

Post new Message to Thread