Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dressing up to go out

Jump to newest

By *tockingshq couple OP   Couple
over a year ago

filby Norwich Thetford anywhere

Why is it nobody dresses up anymore to go out

We always dress up and wife wears fully fashion stockings and a nice dress and heels and we walk in to a restaurant or bar and everyone is in jeans leggings or shorts looking like they have been playing sports on a field

We do like the look she gets from both men and women

There should be a dress code in some places

We are going to see Jimmy Carter tonight I bet she will be the only one there in stockings and heels

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Why is it nobody dresses up anymore to go out

We always dress up and wife wears fully fashion stockings and a nice dress and heels and we walk in to a restaurant or bar and everyone is in jeans leggings or shorts looking like they have been playing sports on a field

We are going to see Jimmy Carter tonight I bet she will be the only one there in stockings and heels "

Probably and I would say overdressed for the occasion. People should wear what they want as long as they are clean and comfortable.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Ex President Jimmy Carter?

I dress depending on the occasion. For such an event as you listed, the trusty suit would definitely come out whereas if it’s just a night at the pub, anything comfortable.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Times have changed. I prefer going anywhere comfortably dressed.

The days of fox fur stoles and only bankers, architects and doctors being at the opera are long gone ....... They are still there but they have enough self esteem to realise that their clothes don't indicate any kind of social standing.

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

We are going to see Jimmy Carter tonight I bet she will be the only one there in stockings and heels "

People I imagine dress appropriately for the weather, for the destination. Personally if we go out usually smart casual as they. We don't dress suited or LBD to go to the pub, Formal yes.

But we also don't don't dress in trackies etc to go out even just to the shops.

People dress how they feel comfortable, nothing wrong with that. Think underdressed or OTT dressing more of a concern.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 20/08/21 13:27:16]

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I dress up when I want to.

Although any place that requires actual stockings would never have me darkening their door.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I love getting dressed up

(*that includes Male mode as well)

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

I’ve my own style, dress codes pigeon hole people

I’ll dress however I wish, the occasion will determine a look perhaps but I’ll always put my own stamp on it x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I’ve my own style, dress codes pigeon hole people

I’ll dress however I wish, the occasion will determine a look perhaps but I’ll always put my own stamp on it x"

And it’s an amazing stamp…

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Oh I do! If it’s evening I do. Maybe not so much daytime but I’ll still wear something nice. I’m not a leggings/trackie person. Unless I’m indoors.

over a year ago

Some of us still do dress up for the occasion.

I rarely go anywhere bar a supermarket dressed down as that's just how I am.

over a year ago

Agreed - some folk just make a place look untidy and lower the tone. It's not difficult to make a reasonable effort.

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

If I am just mooching around town or at home it's combats or jeans and t-shirt but if I am off out to a club I will dress to impress I actualy scrub up quite well when the situation calls for it.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I dress for the venue and occasion. Usually a dress if going out for a meal, but I have casual dresses as well as more formal ones, and they can be dressed up or down with different shoes and accessories.

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

I think we both dress for the occasion but comfort is a key element.

Can't say we've ever been particularly fussed what others wear

over a year ago

"Some of us still do dress up for the occasion.

I rarely go anywhere bar a supermarket dressed down as that's just how I am. "

Yes, good to make an effort, it Asda be done.

over a year ago

Reminds me of old forum threads about dressing down on a date / meet. I think it shows a lack of care and effort and speaks volumes.

I dress up. I like clothes.

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

Thread does remind me of taking the kids to primary school and loads of the mums were dressed up like they were going to meet the queen, night club or something it did always amuse me. Must have looked a right down and out to them

over a year ago

I dress up when I feel like it, not just to go out... Sometimes not to go out, sometimes I wear what I am comfy in to go out... Venue rarely dictates what I wear... Apart from work

over a year ago

I think you should wear what you’re comfortable in l. I do like to dress to occasion at times. And if I was going out for a meal with a beautiful stylish girl I’d definitely wear something smart and possibly not as stylish would have my way on it. I’m comfortable in most things from walking around a busy city in my jeans, t shirt and flip flops… to a suit on occasion.

Ive never I think been under dressed for the venue. It the person I’m with. Xx

over a year ago

I don't understand why being in jeans or leggings means lack of effort... I know plenty of people that take just as long deciding which tshirt goes with what jeans and then trainers... As they do with what is considered dressy stuff

By *ilent...BobMan
over a year ago

Shushhhhhhyourmouthville

I kinda get the OP, I understand what you mean because I love dressing in a decent pair of shoes to give you posture and presence and a well fitting suit and I'm pretty much the only one who does this at work, but I'm old fashioned and it's not really necessary these days and I do it more for me than anyone else. I don't expect anyone to dress as I would like them to however. I'd like them to dress as they like

By *ex-BombsCouple
over a year ago

Flitwick

Personally I prefer clothes on the floor but yes if we’re going out for the evening we will dress up as we choose to! OP have you considered others may think you’re overdressed or even that perhaps everyone else is too busy enjoying themselves to notice what another is wearing?

Just a thought

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

So personally I prefer my jeans and comfy clothes when going to the pub/ music festival etc.

If I go to the theatre i dress up a bit more but not dressy as such.

If I go to Covent Garden to see Tosca or Madame Butterfly I will dress up more but not in full length - it is no longer required I feel and especially if you have to travel by underground, it is a bit impractical.

Full length only for dinner dances but that is really rare these days (even pre pandemic)

I think people should wear what they are comfortable in - they go out to enjoy themselves not to parade for others?

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

The only time we dress up is if the event calls for it.

Comfort all the way.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Because sitting in a wheelchair makes certain cuts and types of clothing uncomfortable and impractical. And I can't wear heels. Thanks for asking though

I'm going to the cinema tonight and I'll wear a casual stretchy dress (above the knee), no hosiery and nice trainers. Judge ye at your peril

over a year ago

"Oh I do! If it’s evening I do. Maybe not so much daytime but I’ll still wear something nice. I’m not a leggings/trackie person. Unless I’m indoors. "

I dress like a bum, I just dress like a washed bum … or a lumberjack woodsmen. Or a drifter.

over a year ago

i have my own style and reasons behind but don't wanna write war and peace lol

most of time it's jeans with my chains my boots , leather jacket 1 of 3 i got

my necklaces ,my bracelets and my skull rings

over a year ago

"Some of us still do dress up for the occasion.

I rarely go anywhere bar a supermarket dressed down as that's just how I am.

Yes, good to make an effort, it Asda be done. "

"Every little helps" Mr Blooms

over a year ago

I love dressing up to go out, for me it's about confidence and feeling good.

One of my favourite restaurants in Edinburgh has a dress code, love deciding what to wear for there

over a year ago

No thanks, I don't want to be wearing heels and stockings when I'm going out for something to eat. Why should there be a dress code? Why can't people wear what they want? As long as they are clean what's the issue? I'm more for comfort most of the time. I only ever get properly dressed up if I'm going out out.

over a year ago

we dress up if we are going somewhere nice, like out for a meal or something, but not just to go to the pub so much

over a year ago

I like to dress up. Nothing to do with any perceived social standing though. I just like pretty clothes and I don't get to wear them often

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

You go out as a couple OP - your other half dresses as much for you as for herself and clearly enjoys doing so. Stockings and suspenders aren’t the most comfortable choice so I would only wear them if I was wanting to raise someone’s temperature!

I do dress up to go out whatever the occasion and if it’s formal with heels I tend to go for hold-ups, far more comfortable

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I like to dress up to go out but what I wear depends on the venue and my mood.

I'm just as likely to wear a skirt or dress to the pub as jeans.

over a year ago

I used to dress up but I don't really go anywhere anymore. A little black dress and heels would look a bit much in the supermarket. Never been one for going out in stockings or anything like that. I wear what I'm comfortable in which is mainly shorts/jeans and trainers.

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan
over a year ago

City

I prefer dressed down. When I see a guy wear a shirt to the local pub I wonder what is he thinking. A jumper, t-shirt, cardigan, polo, trousers and shoes, some can pull off trainers.

But I grew up beside an extremely rich area where everyone looked like a hobo and their beat up cars smelled of dogs.

And although I wasn't rich, if I went to the pub in a shirt and the most expensive clothes I could afford, I would have looked so out of place among them. Although I could never look as desheviled as them either.

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

I love looking at photos from pre 60’s. No one seemed to ever go out in public without getting smartly dressed. You can even find football crowd photos and all the men are in Jacket and Tie. I personally think it’s sad that in general standards like that have eroded over time

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I love looking at photos from pre 60’s. No one seemed to ever go out in public without getting smartly dressed. You can even find football crowd photos and all the men are in Jacket and Tie. I personally think it’s sad that in general standards like that have eroded over time "

Whereas the women were all sl@ving over a hot stove, with aprons on and still expected to put a full face of makeup on before Mr Jones got home to his warmed slippers and pie & mash (no Jus-Roll pastry to be seen!)

Yeah, I prefer 2021 actually

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I love looking at photos from pre 60’s. No one seemed to ever go out in public without getting smartly dressed. You can even find football crowd photos and all the men are in Jacket and Tie. I personally think it’s sad that in general standards like that have eroded over time

Whereas the women were all sl@ving over a hot stove, with aprons on and still expected to put a full face of makeup on before Mr Jones got home to his warmed slippers and pie & mash (no Jus-Roll pastry to be seen!)

Yeah, I prefer 2021 actually "

Yeah, bollocks to all of that.

over a year ago

"I love looking at photos from pre 60’s. No one seemed to ever go out in public without getting smartly dressed. You can even find football crowd photos and all the men are in Jacket and Tie. I personally think it’s sad that in general standards like that have eroded over time

Yeah, bollocks to all of that. "

Just what I was thinking

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

We always make an effort when going out, though we're rarely seen untidy, and we don't even own joggers or trainers.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Yeah, bollocks to all of that. "

Yes, Men can wear the dresses now

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Out out?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I think there is room for both - dressing up and dressing down.

Living my entire life in jogging bottoms and T-shirts would not appeal, then again living in dresses and pretty hats all the time would not be either for me.

It does not have to be an either / or?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I frequently dress up to go out and probably am often considered over dressed. At work once a colleague told me I always looked as if I was going out to dinner. .

It's just clothes why do we have to save certain stuff for certain occasions?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah, bollocks to all of that.

Yes, Men can wear the dresses now "

Hell yes

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

I wear a suit if I'm meeting on a date. 1st impressions & all that - I want to make it a goodun or at least a memorable meeting!

The only other time would be to go to the ballet or a classical concert with a female friend.

But agreed, I wouldn't be wearing it to go shopping or buying a t.v in Curry's......

over a year ago

We both dress up to go out .

By *lenderfoxMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Maybe you're going to the wrong places

I find it varies depending where you go

By *axtanMan
over a year ago

los Cristianos now

[Removed by poster at 20/08/21 18:10:20]

By *axtanMan
over a year ago

los Cristianos now

Good for you. Keep it up. In my old opinion it's also a sign of respect for yourself your partner and the others attending. And who doesn't love a woman in seamed stockings!!

By *tue555Man
over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

Its horses for courses. If we were meeting in the pub for a social or more if you turned up its LBD that barely covers gusset with stockings and suspenders. then we would probably think twice, rather than turning up in smart jeans, nice top, hair done (not over done) heels maybe or just sandals.

When we go out we make an effort but don't over do it, going for a meal or theatre unless its a special occasion don't over dress. We do a lot of gala evenings which of course that's when we get out the posh togs, DJs Evening dresses.

For a meet we'd only expect smart casual, dress, skirt, jeans, polo shirts (not sports shirts, trackies etc)

Smart casual for us also - if you don't like then don't meet simples. Although OH does like loose fitting skirts, dresses etc so she can slip her hand in under the table in the pub/restaurant

By *melia DominaTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

I love to dress up for special evenings....

By *inkylipsWoman
over a year ago

Debauchery

I do, I love a good dress up. I always like to put the effort in, I mean the make up is shit but I scrub up well

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

Poole

Speak for yourself. I reg dress up, heels ect for restrants or an evening out. - fem.

over a year ago

We both dress up to go out , we do notice that the female half makes an effort but the male half looks like he can’t be bothered, ie t shirt with jeans & training shoes that need to be binned

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

I wouldn’t wear sports wear out, even to a supermarket, unless I was doing some sort of sport.

I don’t have many causes to dress up very smart, but I will put on a shirt if I’m going out for a meal. In fact I’ve just ironed one for this evening.

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

"All dressed up and no place to go"

Post new Message to Thread